Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2015 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Floppybits

walshb wrote: »
    I would say that Federer has lost it. He will not be a threat in RG. He hasn't been a major threat for a while now. I can't see Roger getting to the QFs or semis this year unless he has an "easy" draw.

With Nole back in Rome we can assess Murray further should he progress and meet Nole. I would love to see a Nole-Murray final, but I believe they meet in the semis and Nadal and Federer meet in the semis if that is the way it progresses.

I agree with you that Federer is no longer a threat especially in 5 set matches. He just doesn't have the stamina for slams anymore. He would need a few shocks to happen in the early rounds if he was to make it further than the quarters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Nadal has lost 3 times in Clay this season - is this the most he has ever lost on clay in one season - specifically before the FO ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

the_monkey wrote: »
    Nadal has lost 3 times in Clay this season - is this the most he has ever lost on clay in one season - specifically before the FO ?

I think he lost twice, and possibly a couple of times recently to Nole/others and ended up winning the FO.

I think he lost twice, and possibly a couple of times recently to Nole/others and ended up winning the FO.

Yeah, but only twice ...

last season and 2011 he lost twice on clay before FO ...

But I think this is the 1st time its 3 ..

More importantly is the manner of his losses. He hasn't looked quite the clay force from years gone by. He seems slower and staler. It can't be easy. His style is very challenging and grueling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Do people still think Murray has no sense of humor?:P

CE5q3XyW8AEVoC8.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

He's just saying what we're all thinking. BBC jumping the gun just a smidge!:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I feel we've all ignored today's most surprising development - Bouchard actually won a match! :eek:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I feel we've all ignored today's most surprising development - Bouchard actually won a match! :eek:

Normal service resumed this morning. At least she put up a fight today though.

I'm fairly sure she did the same thing last year. Decent results at 3/4 of the slams, terrible results in between.

Murray has pulled out of the rome masters because of fatigue.

• Advertisement

Bouchard's got a lot of points to defend from now til Wimbledon. She could find herself sliding out of the top 10 if she doesn't improve asap.
    Floppybits wrote: »
    Murray has pulled out of the rome masters because of fatigue.

Not surprised. TBH, I thought he'd skip Rome and head for Paris early. With Murray's good form on clay, Djokovic's dominance and question marks over Nadal, I'm looking forward to RG more than most years.

Serena has withdrawn from Rome due to right elbow injury.

Sharapova currently laughing manically, twirling her moustache.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Fed sweeps into the Semi's beating Berdych in straight sets. Poor old Tomas had a bit of a marathon against Fognini yesterday evening which must have took a fair bit out of him. Fed in with a shout of winning this now especially if Nishikori can take out Djokovic which I think is a real possibility. That games on in half an hour. Should be a cracker.

Turn your volume down later on for the last match of the evening between Azarenka and Sharapova. The shriekometer levels will be off the scale for that one.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Pighead wrote: »

Turn your volume down later on for the last match of the evening between Azarenka and Sharapova. The shriekometer levels will be off the scale for that one.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

:rolleyes:
    Agree. Will be a good match. Azarenka to edge Maria in three sets.

Sharapova wins 3rd Rome title, beating Suarez Navarro 4-6, 7-5, 6-1. Slow start from Masha and Carla played great! Just couldn't keep it up for the full match.

Now, 39th meeting between Djokovic & Federer. If this isn't a good match, I will be disappointed!

Quick question - what's the most times two players have met over their careers? 39 seems mad to me and Fed-Djok could hit 50 before they retire imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭WaterLily.

Nadal and Djokovic have met 43 times! I'd say one or both of those rivalries will hit 50. It's crazy!

Anyone else getting slightly bored of the Djokovic domination?

I'd like him to win the French and then for things to start getting more competitive. I know you can never predict what will happen in sport but I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see him sweeping up every slam this year. Murray is the only one I can see challenging him over 5 sets at the moment, even then Djokovic comes out on top more often than not.

Wow, 43!! Either one should reach 50, bar any injuries or retirements.

Yes, I'm getting a bit tired of Djokovic winning everything. I don't think he'll sweep up all GSs this year though. Something is bound to crack. He couldn't do it in 2011 and I don't think he'll do it now.

I can see Murray winning Wimbledon or US Open. Maybe a final Wimbledon hurrah for Federer. IDK!

I can see Murray winning either of them that is true, unfortunately for Federer I think that ship sailed a long time ago. I can't believe the last slam he won was 3 years ago, I'd love for him to prove me wrong though.

More than anything though I want to see a new slam winner and not some fluke like Cilic, I know he played some inspired tennis in New York but I knew it wouldn't last, I know he's been injured but I can't help but wish that Nishikori won instead of him! I feel like he would have made more of it.

I'll still hold out hope for a Federer win. Crazier things have happened in tennis.

This time next week will be French Open time! Time flies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

WaterLily. wrote: »
    I can see Murray winning either of them that is true, unfortunately for Federer I think that ship sailed a long time ago. I can't believe the last slam he won was 3 years ago, I'd love for him to prove me wrong though.
    He has a better chance on paper than Sampras had in his last US Open, so it's definitely possibly. I think he needs a bit of luck now to do it though, it won't be down to his form any more, he'll need others to be upset, or to have a gruelling match against each other in the previous round.

Fed was very flat today. Far too easy for Nole. Still, kudos for Fed getting to yet another 1000 final. And a huge achievement for Nole to go past Federer on finals 1000 wins with 24. I think he will catch and pass Nadal's 27.

So flat from Fed!! A bit surprised considering how well he played in earlier rounds. I agree, Djokovic has a great chance of surpassing Nadal's 27 Masters titles. There's 4 1000 tournaments left in the season, all on hard courts. Could very well pass him out this year.

It's an interesting run up to the french open for sure ... I'm not so certain of Nadal now, has to be his worst ever clay court season so far (think he's lost 4 times).

I'd drop it to 80% sure he'll win it ... :cool:

It's an interesting run up to the french open for sure ... I'm not so certain of Nadal now, has to be his worst ever clay court season so far (think he's lost 4 times).

I'd drop it to 80% sure he'll win it ... :cool:

It's definitely his weakest display pre FO. Add this to the number of threats to him, not just Nole.

Maybe I am crazy but there's a small part of me that wants Rafa to win now because he is being doubted so much. It would be really epic if he did win at RG. Nice aesthetic and even number as well. 10!

Maybe I am crazy but there's a small part of me that wants Raf to win now because he is being doubted so much. It would be really epic if he did win at RG. Nice aesthetic and even number as well. 10!

If he does pull it off he might just retire ... it would be a nice way for him to go ..

Can't believe RG is next week, haven't even had time to think about it. What are our predictions? I'm not seeing it for Serena on the women's side, she hasn't played enough on clay and didn't even win a title on the surface this year. It's hard to imagine who she might lose to, but I think she'll slip up. Then again, if she does win she'll be three-quarters of the way towards another Serena Slam, so she should be motivated. All in all though, I think we're headed towards another Sharapova victory. She hasn't had a very good clay season thus far by her high standards, but she righted the ship in Rome, albeit with a very easy draw. I think she'll will her way to another victory and clinch grand slam #6, provided of course she avoids Serena. Halep can win if she avoids both Serena and Sharapova, but that's a tall order. Carla Suarez-Navarro is in terrific form right now so she's a dark horse. Muguruza was my wildcard pick to win it at the beginning of the year, although she's had a pretty measly clay season thus far, so it's hard to see here doing too much. Hope I'm wrong though.

On the men's side, I'm going for a Nadal victory. Yes I know he's not in form, but he'll be playing at the tournament where he's only ever lost one match and the conditions suit his game best. He'll probably have a scrappy first week, maybe dropping a couple of sets, but I can easily see him playing himself back into form. Will be extremely difficult, perhaps more so mentally, for anyone to beat him over a best of 5 sets format. If/when he gets to the second week, I think he'll be back in business. So yeah, I think he'll win #10. At the very least I think he'll get to the final. I'd love to see Murray do something incredible on the clay, but obviously difficult to see him winning. Would love to see him reach the final though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Can't believe RG is next week, haven't even had time to think about it. What are our predictions? I'm not seeing it for Serena on the women's side, she hasn't played enough on clay and didn't even win a title on the surface this year. It's hard to imagine who she might lose to, but I think she'll slip up. Then again, if she does win she'll be three-quarters of the way towards another Serena Slam, so she should be motivated. All in all though, I think we're headed towards another Sharapova victory. She hasn't had a very good clay season thus far by her high standards, but she righted the ship in Rome, albeit with a very easy draw. I think she'll will her way to another victory and clinch grand slam #6, provided of course she avoids Serena. Halep can win if she avoids both Serena and Sharapova, but that's a tall order. Carla Suarez-Navarro is in terrific form right now so she's a dark horse. Muguruza was my wildcard pick to win it at the beginning of the year, although she's had a pretty measly clay season thus far, so it's hard to see here doing too much. Hope I'm wrong though.

On the men's side, I'm going for a Nadal victory. Yes I know he's not in form, but he'll be playing at the tournament where he's only ever lost one match and the conditions suit his game best. He'll probably have a scrappy first week, maybe dropping a couple of sets, but I can easily see him playing himself back into form. Will be extremely difficult, perhaps more so mentally, for anyone to beat him over a best of 5 sets format. If/when he gets to the second week, I think he'll be back in business. So yeah, I think he'll win #10. At the very least I think he'll get to the final. I'd love to see Murray do something incredible on the clay, but obviously difficult to see him winning. Would love to see him reach the final though.
    While I agree he will play himself into form over the first week but he will have to face at least Djocko, Murray/Federer and one of Ferrer/Nishikori/Wawrinka from the quarters onwards. I just don't think he can put them away easily and he will be beaten I think. I find it interesting that both Murray and Djockovic are unbeaten on clay this season. Murray will make the semis and I would love to see him win it but I still think Wimbledon is his greatest chance of a Slam this year.

To be honest, Djokovic is the only one I think he should fear on clay. Despite his good form, I just can't see Murray taking out Nadal at RG. Nishikori and Wawrinka would both be competitive, but I think Nadal would pull through. Fed I would give a small chance to, Ferrer no chance!

I think that Nole is the man to beat Nadal. Beating Nadal over 5 sets at RG for the likes of Murrray and some others will be a step too far.

Maybe I am crazy but there's a small part of me that wants Rafa to win now because he is being doubted so much. It would be really epic if he did win at RG. Nice aesthetic and even number as well. 10!

I know a lot of people here would be furious if that happened... but in a way so do I :p

I can't believe he is aiming for a 10th rolland garros, it's just insane that he's managed 9.

I'll be interested to see how the women's goes, definitely cannot see Serena winning, she just hasn't had enough time on clay. I don't really mind who wins it as long as we get as good a final as we did last year, I thoroughly enjoyed that!

Time now for the grass. :) A couple of 250 events in Germany, with 2 500 Events next week, Queens and Halle. Not a bad entry list for the Mercedes cup in Stuttgart with Nadal, Cilic and Lopez the tiop3 seeds.

Nadal playing a 250 grass event .... my my ... how the mighty have fallen..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Ah, he plays a couple of clay 250s each year before the 'real' clay season starts so think with the extra week of grass this year it makes sense.

He needs the games so it is understandable. Did Murray do the same when he came back from his back surgery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭CassieManson

lostcat wrote: »
    Ah, he plays a couple of clay 250s each year before the 'real' clay season starts so think with the extra week of grass this year it makes sense.

In fairness Murray played a clay 250 before RG - and it was good prep for him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Floppybits wrote: »
    He needs the games so it is understandable. Did Murray do the same when he came back from his back surgery?

Especially on grass where he has done nothing for years, can't have to much preparation can Nadal for Wimbledon.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jun/08/stan-wawrinka-admits-not-as-good-big-four-french-open-tennis

Interesting, Wavrinka says he is not as good as the "big 4" (Rog,Rafa,Novak,Andy Murray) as they have been winning all the slams ... but he now has the same amount of Slams as Murray ???

I don't get it , right now he is as good as Murray ... better in fact, he has the more recent slams..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭CassieManson

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jun/08/stan-wawrinka-admits-not-as-good-big-four-french-open-tennis

Interesting, Wavrinka says he is not as good as the "big 4" (Rog,Rafa,Novak,Andy Murray) as they have been winning all the slams ... but he now has the same amount of Slams as Murray ???

I don't get it , right now he is as good as Murray ... better in fact, he has the more recent slams..

Murray has been far more consisent in reaching semifinals and finals of the grandslams. Wawrinks has been to 2 finals.

Wawrinka's biggest problem by a clear mile is consistency. If he could maintain the form that has won him 2 slams (or even 80-90% of it) he would be in many more finals and probably have won a few more slams.

I always enjoy Rolland Garros but there is just something so special about grass court tennis. Can't wait for the next few weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Murray has been far more consisent in reaching semifinals and finals of the grandslams. Wawrinks has been to 2 finals.

The fact that Stan doesn't see himself as part of the 'big 4' was very much in his favour on Sunday. Djokovic was playing a match which, if he won, would have propelled him onto the list of all time greats, and the pressure told.

Stan played the final freely, like he had nothing to loose. But his is a game that while breathtaking when it fully clicks, if he plays at 80% there are probably 10 guys on tour whos own 80% is better. He has twice as many slams as masters1000 titles for petes sake, which must say something about him being streaky

This isn't in any way to demean what he has achieved, the likes of Berdych or Ferrer will never win a major because while their 80% probably would beat stans 80% they don't have the x factor that he can, once a year, bring.

WaterLily. wrote: »
    Wawrinka's biggest problem by a clear mile is consistency. If he could maintain the form that has won him 2 slams (or even 80-90% of it) he would be in many more finals and probably have won a few more slams.

I always enjoy Rolland Garros but there is just something so special about grass court tennis. Can't wait for the next few weeks!

If he could be consistent he'd have been the GOAT in my opinion ... but there are no ifs in sport ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Emz93

Eugenie Bouchard just lost in the first round of the TopShelf Open. She was the number one seed. Starting to seriously worry about her, her confidence is rock bottom right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ConM96

Emz93 wrote: »
    Eugenie Bouchard just lost in the first round of the TopShelf Open. She was the number one seed. Starting to seriously worry about her, her confidence is rock bottom right now.

And what's more she was 4-0 in that third set and even had 0-30 on shvedovas serve to go 5-0 up!
    I also can't help but notice how thin and frail she now looks , maybe there is more behind the scenes than we know ? In any case them 1300 ranking points she's defending at Wimbledon I can safely say will be gone!

Nine out of her last ten matches lost. Defending 1300 points at Wimbledon. Ouch. It's be nice to see her salvage something at Wimbledon, but it's not looking that likely right now. Hopefully afterwards she'll be able to hit the reset button.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ConM96

Really hoping wozniacki can produce some good results at Both Eastbourne ad Wimbledon . She has quite a few points to defend in the latter half of the season and she hasn't really built on her form late of last year and at Stuttgart this year. Is she plays well and gets a good draw away from Azarenka and serena,I can see her doing quite well !

Indeed, I was just thinking about how Woz seems very over-ranked right now, the vast majority of her points are from the second half of the season. It's a shame she seems to have lost the drive she had after splitting from Rory last year. Can't see her doing much on grass either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Emz93

ConM96 wrote: »
    And what's more she was 4-0 in that third set and even had 0-30 on shvedovas serve to go 5-0 up!
    I also can't help but notice how thin and frail she now looks , maybe there is more behind the scenes than we know ? In any case them 1300 ranking points she's defending at Wimbledon I can safely say will be gone!

I really hope she can do something positive at Wimbledon, she 100% won't make the final, but even 3R or 4R...just SOMETHING. I follow a lot of her fans on Twitter and it seems she needs a sports psychologist is the general consensus :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement