Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2015 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Not surprised by Stan going out, I guess he can be excused after the French. I would think that it won't even overly bother him, he seems to be of a mind that when he's on fire, he's on fire, and when he isn't, how bad.

I made the point in the FO thread that his 90% level is beatable by a lot of other players 90%.

It's a bit frustrating that we cant watch him shoot out the lights every week, but sure what's rare is wonderful :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Floppybits

lostcat wrote: »
    Not surprised by Stan going out, I guess he can be excused after the French. I would think that it won't even overly bother him, he seems to be of a mind that when he's on fire, he's on fire, and when he isn't, how bad.

I made the point in the FO thread that his 90% level is beatable by a lot of other players 90%.

It's a bit frustrating that we cant watch him shoot out the lights every week, but sure what's rare is wonderful :).

Sometimes I wonder with Stan if he is just not that bothered most of the time. You can almost see him shrug the shoulders when he goes out of a competition and is not that bothered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Stan has a pretty dire record on grass lets not forget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Sabine Lisicki set another record during her match versus Belinda Bencic. She hit 27 aces.:eek:

RosyLily wrote: »
    Sabine Lisicki set another record during her match versus Belinda Bencic. She hit 27 aces.:eek:

it must grass court season Sabine has suddenly come to life. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

lovely match between Simon and Raonic here ...

Good win for Gilles. I wonder if the other Gilles can pull off the upset over Murray. He seems to be doing well after teaming with Jamie Delgado.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭StillIntact

Muller did well for a while but eventually Murray got on top of the serve and was very good in the final set. Isner or Troicki next so more big serving!

Another decent performance by McGee in his challenger event getting to the semifinals. Good form with Wimbledon qualifiers coming up next week.

Jesus the british crowd are annoying ... and have 2 weeks of this sh¡ite coming up when Murray wins Wimbledon..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

McGee already out of the Wimbledon qualies, three sets loss to Tobias Kamke :(

• Advertisement

Really good win for Aga in Eastbourne!! Defeated Pironkova 6-2, 6-2. 80% 1st serves, 25 winners, 6 UFEs. Such a clean match from her. Hopefully she's back to her best. Excited to see if Radwanska continues the good form into Wimbledon.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Just reading this in the Irish Times. "Irish" youngster, Bjorn Thompson, training at the Bollettieri academy in Florida. Could be a name to look out for in the future, although it seems his Jr. ranking has dropped since he's been there. He seems to be blaming that on clay season. We shall see.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/irish-youngster-called-bjorn-learning-from-tennis-master-bollettieri-1.2261736

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ConM96

Good week also so far for Wozniacki. Hopefully she can capture the title later this week and carry the momentum into Wimbledon. Could potentially be a dangerous opponent to the Top 4.

ConM96 wrote: »
    Good week also so far for Wozniacki. Hopefully she can capture the title later this week and carry the momentum into Wimbledon. Could potentially be a dangerous opponent to the Top 4.

Woz is seeded 5th so she won't have a chance to encounter the Top 4 until late into the 2nd week, chances are she, or all of them, will have been ousted by then.

I'd like to see anyone, literally anyone, other than Serena win.

Davis Cup squeezed in at the weekend, they need to sort out the schedule! Should be a tight one between GB and France on grass. Argentina might hold the edge at home against a Djokovic-less Serbia. Expect Belgium and Australia to come through the other ties. Tough task for Ireland in South Africa at altitude although not impossible given that Kevin Anderson is not there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

serious question....

if serena williams was playing in the mens how far would she get? quaterfinals semis??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Wicklow Brave

fryup wrote: »
    serious question....

if serena williams was playing in the mens how far would she get? quaterfinals semis??

She wouldn't qualify I'd say. She'd be ranked in the mid to high 100s imo.

Liam broady is ranked 159 for example, I don't think serena would beat Broady but he'd have his hands full.

I think Serena could beat Broady. Definitely give her a 50/50 chance. It would be interesting to see how she'd fare against the men's #180 for e.g. She's beaten practically everyone in the women's game.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

serious question....

R2 if lucky. Her breaking a man's serve would also be a bit lucky.

Her main asset is her power over other women. That is not an advantage over a decent male. Heather Watson had her beaten for chrissake!

She wouldn't have near the power/speed/athleticism combination needed to be remotely competitive with a good male player.

• Advertisement

serious question....

Round 1 ... would lose in straights ... mens and womens game absolute GULF in difference.

Thank God Murray didn't win wimbledon, he's unbearable here at Davis Cup v Tsonga...

My God .... if you can rely on one man to lose a tennis match ... Jo Wilfred Tsonga ... no mental resolve ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

walshb wrote: »
    She wouldn't have near the power/speed/athleticism combination needed to be remotely competitive with a good male player.

thats debatable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Tomic making the news for all the wrong reasons yet again.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/tennis/33559994

Oh Bernie!! Will you ever learn??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,919 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Female commentator for the WTA Final in Bastad on BTSport1 is actually impossible to understand. Do they not check these things before coverage starts?

callaway92 wrote: »
    Female commentator for the WTA Final in Bastad on BTSport1 is actually impossible to understand. Do they not check these things before coverage starts?

What's going on? I've no BT Sport.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

serious question....

Can't believe this question but even worse is the answers you got.
    She probably wouldn't win a game in the first round.
    She would not be in the top 750 in the world. Maybe more. Ireland's David O Hare would beat her and he is way down the world rankings.
    She would simply not get the opportunity to play those great shots you see her play if she played professional men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

shutup wrote: »
    Can't believe this question but even worse is the answers you got.
    She probably wouldn't win a game in the first round.
    She would not be in the top 750 in the world. Maybe more. Ireland's David O Hare would beat her and he is way down the world rankings.
    She would simply not get the opportunity to play those great shots you see her play if she played professional men.
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    What? Serena has a hell of a serve. Sure, she wouldn't get very far in an ATP tournament, but to suggest that she wouldn't win a game or that anyone outside the top 500 in the world could beat her is absolutely ludicrous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    What? Serena has a hell of a serve. Sure, she wouldn't get very far in an ATP tournament, but to suggest that she wouldn't win a game or that anyone outside the top 500 in the world could beat her is absolutely ludicrous.

Pathetic attempt to belittle me. Just shows you up. Please tell me how you have come to your conclusion? Have you seen her play any highly ranked male players?
    Yes she has a hell of a serve. The best woman of all time. Won't see her like for another few generations probably. But she is serving against the woman, not the men.
    Without going any further I have a little bit of insight here. Im basing my points on what pros have said. There are a few Irish people who have actually hit with her.
    I wouldnt like to be rude like you were but it's actually your post that is ludicrous. You don't know anything about tennis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

shutup wrote: »
    Pathetic attempt to belittle me. Just shows you up. Please tell me how you have come to your conclusion? Have you seen her play any highly ranked male players?
    Yes she has a hell of a serve. The best woman of all time. Won't see her like for another few generations probably. But she is serving against the woman, not the men.
    Without going any further I have a little bit of insight here. Im basing my points on what pros have said. There are a few Irish people who have actually hit with her.
    I wouldnt like to be rude like you were but it's actually your post that is ludicrous. You don't know anything about tennis.
    Mmhm. Who do you know that's hit with her? Citations please. Against the top 32 there is no doubt that they would beat Serena fairly handly, maybe even a double bagle. However, Serena would still get a lot of cheap points on her serve. She has an average serve speed of around 100mph, which is huge! Cheap points win games.

I'm not disagreeing that the top male players wouldn't hammer her, or that she wouldn't go very far in an ATP tournament. I agree with you fully on those points. But to suggest a player who isn't even in the top 1000 male players in the world would beat her is extremely naive. Serena has a very good ground game, a terrific serve and has the mentality of a champion. Qualities that would see her beat anyone outside of the top 500 male players.

Can we drop this Serena conversation. It's pointless, she's not playing on the men's tour so how she measures up against them is irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,919 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

What's going on? I've no BT Sport.:(

She's Spanish I'd assume but was speaking very broken and impossible to understand English!

Final on at 3 today

Karlovic into another 250 final , he has some stubborn serve , I wonder what he'd have done had he been on the tour 20 years earlier ?

Laura Robson will be back in action this week, playing a 50k event in Granby. Will play Naomi Osaka in R1.

Ireland lost 0-5 to South Africa in their Davis Cup tie over the weekend. It means Ireland have been relegated to Group 3 for the first time since 2007.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/ireland-relegated-in-davis-cup-after-south-africa-whitewash-1.2290062

smurfs5 wrote: »
    Ireland lost 0-5 to South Africa in their Davis Cup tie over the weekend. It means Ireland have been relegated to Group 3 for the first time since 2007.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/ireland-relegated-in-davis-cup-after-south-africa-whitewash-1.2290062

Disappointing but it was a particularly difficult task to win in South Africa. Once the opening singles were lost that was it. In reality it required McGee to win both his matches. This level should give the younger players a chance to win some ties.

The World Group semis are open this year, none of the semi finalists would be regarded as a strong favourite to win the whole thing.

I'd like to see Australia win it. Would be a great send off for Hewitt. I was impressed with how they bounced back in the tie versus Kazakhstan. Belgium-Argentina is really anyone's guess!! Delpo must be sickened that he's out!!

I'd like to see Australia win it. Would be a great send off for Hewitt. I was impressed with how they bounced back in the tie versus Kazakhstan. Belgium-Argentina is really anyone's guess!! Delpo must be sickened that he's out!!

It would be a great send off for him- he missed out on a Centre Court match with Federer so a Davis Cup win would seem fitting. It would've been pretty embarrassing for Australia to go out to Kazakhstan but they made it through to set up a pretty tasty GB tie. The Aussies have quite a strong team but if Britain pick a grass venue, their Murray-dependent team could pull it off. Presuming Murray wins his two singles rubbers and Ward loses his, a Murray brothers doubles team could clinch it. Australia have the ability to change things up, though, as they have players who can be deployed in any of the rubbers- Kokkinakis and Kyrgios weren't doing the business on the Friday so Groth and Hewitt step in and manage to win the tie.

Delpo went along to support the team and there was a photo of him courtside with his hand in a cast. It's so sad to see him in that condition. Anyone think he'll be back? He's 26 now and I heard suggestions that he should switch to a single handed backhand but I don't know whether that would be a viable option.
    Would love to see him back although it's probably unlikely we'll see him play a match this year.

Think the SF is most likely to be in Glasgow. Think it would suit GB better to have it indoors on hard.

The real problem is what state Murray is in post US Open. He looked shattered after his match yesterday. There's a big US swing to come between now and September.

• Advertisement

The real problem is what state Murray is in post US Open. He looked shattered after his match yesterday. There's a big US swing to come between now and September.

The biggest thing. If Murray goes far in Flushing, he'll be shattered. End of the season as well so it all might take its toll. I can't see the Aussies going far in U.S. Open, maybe Kyrgios, so the majority of their team will be fresher. The winner of this tie will be heavy favourite in the final.

What a twist if Belgium won the whole thing?!?!:eek::)

The biggest thing. If Murray goes far in Flushing, he'll be shattered. End of the season as well so it all might take its toll. I can't see the Aussies going far in U.S. Open, maybe Kyrgios, so the majority of their team will be fresher. The winner of this tie will be heavy favourite in the final.

What a twist if Belgium won the whole thing?!?!:eek::)

It seems Belgium are at home for the semi and the final if they get that far.

Not sure if their opponents would be heavy favourites despite the limitations of the Belgian team - perhaps against Australia but against Britain it could come down to the doubles. Have to say it's strange to see Belgium in the semi final, they were fortunate to face an understrength Canadian team. It's a weak latter stage of the Davis Cup this year compared with the strong Swiss, Serbian, Spanish and Czech teams of the last few years.

I hope they don't make the final. Cant stand the Aussie players especially that Kygrios lad. He deserved as suspension from tennis for his behavior and carry on at Wimbledon especially during the Gasquet match. Was delighted he was beaten in his match and then dropped for the following matches.

Daniel Glancy played Bastad qualies this week... and was double-bagelled by Mischa Zverev.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I was impressed with how they bounced back in the tie versus Kazakhstan.

The Kazakhstan lads had more pressing issues

http://www.sportdw.com/2015/07/fix-tennis-golubev-nedovyesov.html

Rothenberg retweeted the link earlier as well.:mad:

Rjd2 wrote: »
    The Kazakhstan lads had more pressing issues

http://www.sportdw.com/2015/07/fix-tennis-golubev-nedovyesov.html

Rothenberg retweeted the link earlier as well.:mad:

Multiple incidents!! Seems to be more reporting on tennis betting this year. I hope the ATP/ITF etc are keeping a watch on things like this. I'd say tennis is riddled, especially in Challengers and lower tours. The author is right- will a journalist take a stand and blow the lid like the Armstrong case? It might get the ball rolling.

Bernie didn't let his arrest or omission from the DC team stop him in Bogota. He beat Mannarino to defend his title. Joins Dimitrov and Raonic as players born in the 1990s that have won 3 titles.

Interested to see how Tomic's years on the tour go....and not because of his tennis.:o

Bernie didn't let his arrest or omission from the DC team stop him in Bogota. He beat Mannarino to defend his title. Joins Dimitrov and Raonic as players born in the 1990s that have won 3 titles.

Interested to see how Tomic's years on the tour go....and not because of his tennis.:o

I actually feel sorry for him. He could easily be a Top 10 player and he should be making Grand Slam quarters consistently but what chance does he have when he's stuck with a father intent on causing trouble. You'd think he would have given up the "controlling parent at the back of the court trying to interfere" act when Bernard finished playing juniors and let him lead his own life and career but no. The poor sister now has no chance because the dad has burned all of the family's bridges with Tennis Australia.

Elsewhere, Sharapova and Dimitrov have split.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ConM96

The start of the U.S open series this week for the women. Serena has withdrawn from Stanford due to her elbow injury leaving Wozniacki and Radwanska as the top two seeds. Find it hard not to see Woz taking the title here. Hopefully the start of another summer revival for her.
    Elsewhere in Washington it will be interesting to see if Watson can build on her Wimbledon performance against Serena and mount a challenge for the title.
    All in all in really looking forward to the next few weeks. The U.S. Hard court season is my favourite part of the tour. :)

• Advertisement

The season kicks back into gear this week, although a lot of withdrawals already. Serena and Muguruza out of Stanford, and Azarenka and Bouchard out of Washington. Really eager to see how Azarenka and Muguruza fare after their excellent Wimbledon's. Will also be interesting to see how Wozniacki fares, she's defending a lot of points over the next few weeks. Although tbh the women's side has a large feeling of inevitability hanging over it, feels like Serena's just going to stroll to the title in New York. I hope not though, would like to see someone different winning it for a change.

As for the men's side, Djokovic is obviously the biggest frontrunner. I think what I want to see more than anything is for Murray to get a win over Djokovic. Any win, anywhere :o

Advertisement