Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ref-Cams

• 01-01-2015 6:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭

Having seen referees in Ladies GAA and Rugby wearing TV cameras on their chest are there any plans to trial this in the Premier League at all? Or are there any leagues abroad where the local TV company has rigged the ref with a camera so the viewer can get an 'on-pitch' angle from the play?

Seems a no-brainer for the TV companies, if a refs positioning is correct a camera broadcasting from his jersey should provide some spectactular footage of both tackles and long distance strikes. I'm just thinking back to that Wayne Rooney wonder goal a few years back where he was arguing with the ref one second and the next he was firing it into the top corner, the refs view of that would have been sublime, shame us fans never got to see it from the angle he did.

Thoughts?

edit- just had a look on the tube and they did it in the MLS last year. Camera is a bit shaky as they put it on the refs head instead of his chest like TG4 did for Ladies GAA. Still gives an interesting perspective, a real feeling of what it is actually like on the pitch

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Having seen referees in Ladies GAA and Rugby wearing TV cameras on their chest are there any plans to trial this in the Premier League at all? Or are there any leagues abroad where the local TV company has rigged the ref with a camera so the viewer can get an 'on-pitch' angle from the play?

Seems a no-brainer for the TV companies, if a refs positioning is correct a camera broadcasting from his jersey should provide some spectactular footage of both tackles and long distance strikes. I'm just thinking back to that Wayne Rooney wonder goal a few years back where he was arguing with the ref one second and the next he was firing it into the top corner, the refs view of that would have been sublime, shame us fans never got to see it from the angle he did.

Thoughts?

Don't think it could be brought in with the amount of abuse that gets thrown at the refs. Unless maybe that could help with that carry on because every word will be caught on camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

They did it once many years ago and the abuse left it unbroadcastable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

haha never thought of that, players would be getting complaints into Ofcom for using foul language on tv before the 9pm watershed :D

If implemented it does have the potential to change player behaviour towards refs somewhat.

I hope it comes in at some stage, even if only to be recorded and the best bits shown in the match highlights after the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

If it was strapped across the ref's forehead, it might go some way to stop all these "the ref had to have seen it" comments, usually made by managers, when refs make a decision that doesn't go their way.

Also concerns about players language/abuse shouldn't stop it. If anything it'd be more reason for it, it might bring the players into line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I don't think it would work for association football. Referees in rugby and GAA naturally command respect whereas soccer referees just get volumes of abuse. It would be unsuitable to broadcast to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'd be for it if it meant players had to cop the hell on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,564 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I'd be for it if it meant players had to cop the hell on.

It wouldn't mean that though. Old habits die hard and it'd end up being the idea that had to be knocked on the head rather than the culture.

You couldn't have that bedding in period where the language is on TV every week during pre-watershed hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Anyway they could filter it so it's just the refs you hear and not the players? Means we'd hear the reasoning refs have for some of those mad decisions they make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,564 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Anyway they could filter it so it's just the refs you hear and not the players? Means we'd hear the reasoning refs have for some of those mad decisions they make.

I'd say that's difficult, but I'm no multimedia expert at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

CSF wrote: »
    I'd say that's difficult, but I'm no multimedia expert at the same time.

Doable but not live.

Think it would create a bigger problem with foul and abusive language, didnt rooney get sent off for that before?

If the rules were enforced would be 5 a sides every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It will be a long time before it gets introduced. The sport is too conservative and slow to progress.

I'd like to see it introduced to expose the amount of cheating refs that see pulling and holding in the box but choose to turn a blind eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Surely you could just strap a camera,no need a for mic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

As much as I'd like to see it introduced it leaves the refs and assistants open for criticsm when they start debating decisions among themselves, unless as its mentioned, its only video and not audio recorded.

Although without audio theres nothing a refs cam can add to the game that the multiple cameras of the broadcasters cant already provide us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Im pretty sure thats Millwall playing Arsenal there. AFAIK the Millwall players were tipped of about the ref being miked up and were as polite as they could be while Arsenal on the other hand.......... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Mics work very well in rugby, so I would be in favour of that.

Cameras seem to be a bit of a needless gimmick to me.

Advertisement