Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mink trapping

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭hollowpoint

Fair play to you lad, nice vid too

Cheers lad, more to follow. Workn on a better quality vid at the minute... should be up next week

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

jungleman wrote: »
    Brilliant video!! That silver fella was a quare one. Where are mink most common in Ireland? Anyone know if Meath has many?
    meath is alive with them. The boyne is plagued. Thinking of investing in a couple of traps myself.

idnkph wrote: »
    meath is alive with them. The boyne is plagued. Thinking of investing in a couple of traps myself.

Everywhere seems to be full of them, mk 6 fenns and 116 bodygrips are proving very effective for me so far...

Everywhere seems to be full of them, mk 6 fenns and 116 bodygrips are proving very effective for me so far...

where did you buy them from HP? Is mcleoids the only place in the country stocking them? I was having a look and There and the UK seem to be the only places to buy them....
    there is more types on the US sites and do much better deals on them but not sure about importing them.. any advice?

where did you buy them from HP? Is mcleoids the only place in the country stocking them? I was having a look and There and the UK seem to be the only places to buy them....
    there is more types on the US sites and do much better deals on them but not sure about importing them.. any advice?

I get my mk 6 fenns from maceoin, they seem to be the cheapest to get them from that i have found in ireland. There are gun shops that sell them but from i have seen they are more expensive. Maceoin are quick delivering too. The 116 body grip i buy from soloway feeders in Scotland, they are sound to deal with!! Ur right bout the US having better deal but i have never got any from there and if u did you could be liable to pay tax on them by customs and you would be waiting up to 2 weeks for them to arrive!

• Advertisement

I get my mk 6 fenns from maceoin, they seem to be the cheapest to get them from that i have found in ireland. There are gun shops that sell them but from i have seen they are more expensive. Maceoin are quick delivering too. The 116 body grip i buy from soloway feeders in Scotland, they are sound to deal with!! Ur right bout the US having better deal but i have never got any from there and if u did you could be liable to pay tax on them by customs and you would be waiting up to 2 weeks for them to arrive!
    Bit the bullet this morning and ordered half dozen duke magnum 110 body grips this morning off a US site. €20.50 and free shipping!! Might take a couple of weeks but for that price its worth a try.
    I will keep you posted on what they are like when they arrive. Think they are under the cut off for tax through customs.
    Now the waiting begins :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Where did you order them from idnkph.

Where did you order them from idnkph.

pm inbound

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭minktrapper

If I put mackerel in a can and drill holes in it and place at the back of a pocket set how long should it be good for.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 rookman

I used to trap a lot of mink a few years ago just inside Carlow/Wicklow border on the river derreen.Then i used to find the cage sprung with nothing in it.While fishing one evening i found the reason why-an otter had moved in.I have not seen a mink on our banks of the river since.I think the otter used to set off trap while trying to get at the bait-all he had to do was back out when the cage door came down on his back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Eddie B

If I put mackerel in a can and drill holes in it and place at the back of a pocket set how long should it be good for.

Depends on the weather lad! Fish will rot quickly in warm weather even if you can keep the flies out! Even at that, tiny flies can get into the can and spoil the fish!

Smoked fish is meant to last longer in warm weather, and attract less flies! (Never tried it myself). You could always put a few feathers in the back of a pocket and a couple scattered outside! I use this method with a squirt of fish oil, and it works well!

As it is, I'd say change the bait at least once a week!

New vid up on youtube, set up a trail cam on 1 of most productive locations and got a silver mink on video getting caught in mk 6 fenn and another mink coming along that night to investigate. Type in mink trapping hollowpoint and go to my page and you will see the latest upload .enjoy.

New vid up on youtube, set up a trail cam on 1 of most productive locations and got a silver mink on video getting caught in mk 6 fenn and another mink coming along that night to investigate. Type in mink trapping hollowpoint and go to my page and you will see the latest upload .enjoy.

Was looking at it last night. The silver mink is a lovely looking animal.
    Just wondering do you treat your traps? If so with what and how often?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Don't suppose if any of yas got a young mink you'd keep it alive would yas?

Was looking at it last night. The silver mink is a lovely looking animal.
    Just wondering do you treat your traps? If so with what and how often?

I spray some of them black with tetresol all surface paint, it's cheap and dries fast and lasts bout a year. Once I spray them I don't use them for bout 2 weeks and leave them hanging outside in d shed or barn somewhere air can circulate round them. The mark 6 fenn I spray only 2 or 3. I only spray half d traps at a time so obviously the rest are still operating and swap them over when the rest are dry. To clean them before spraying, a bucket with bout a litre of white vinegar left steeping over night, quick rinse next day then dry and spray, the vinegar will remove any rust and flaking paint...

You can get the litre bottles of vinegar in the likes of an Asian food shop, makes a great job of cleaning the traps.

Can't say I do lad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

You could try one of the mink farms.

You could try one of the mink farms.

Would they sell a kit though.
    I'm looking to train one.

O.k, what you really want is a young mink, about 8 to 10 weeks old! Almost impossible to catch a wild mink at that age, and two late in the year anyway! This years young are well on now, so they'd be much harder handle!

I recon they only breed once a year in the farms as well, so maybe ask for next year! In the meantime take a look at that carter guy's video's, especially the one where he talks about his setup for keeping his mink, and then make something similar as apposed to keeping it in a mink hutch!

Or you could always combine the two, with a six inch pipe leading from a ferret hutch too an enclosed pool of water!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Don't know really. I doubt many people asking them for kits. I'm sure that some mink would not make the grade for fur quality and they might sell them. Then again fur farms are very secretive and they might not want to sell on such an invasive species to a member of the general public. Ask them they can only say no.

• Advertisement

Don't know really. I doubt many people asking them for kits. I'm sure that some mink would not make the grade for fur quality and they might sell them. Then again fur farms are very secretive and they might not want to sell on such an invasive species to a member of the general public. Ask them they can only say no.

Yea thats probably the reality of it! Even if you did know someone in the business, they mightn't be allowd sell them by law!

Been searching online and there's no phone numbers or directions to one. I'd like to give it a try. Dealt with some nasty ferrets and tamed them though on I had couldn't be tamed at all.
    Just I watch the vids on YouTube and see that lad carter doing it and I wouldn't mind giving it ago.

Been searching online and there's no phone numbers or directions to one. I'd like to give it a try. Dealt with some nasty ferrets and tamed them though on I had couldn't be tamed at all.
    Just I watch the vids on YouTube and see that lad carter doing it and I wouldn't mind giving it ago.

Yea but a wild mink would be outa your grasp in a second, and he wont be waiting around for you to grab him again like a ferret, tamed or untamed!

Only other hope is to try find a mink den next summer and try catch a very young one! Something i've never came across myself!

Eddie B wrote: »
    Yea but a wild mink would be outa your grasp in a second, and he wont be waiting around for you to grab him again like a ferret, tamed or untamed!

Only other hope is to try find a mink den next summer and try catch a very young one! Something i've never came across myself!
    Jaysus I wouldn't be putting my hand into a minks den anytime soon. Sure mammy wouldn't be happy bout that.

Jaysus I wouldn't be putting my hand into a minks den anytime soon. Sure mammy wouldn't be happy bout that.

Lol! No, i meant if you knew where a Den was, then set a cage close to den without disturbing it! Catch the mother, and then you'd catch the kits!

Done some voluntary work tracking Pine Maten in the Nephin Beg range, where a female was killed on the road, and kits were all caught with cages close to where the mother was killed,

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Thedeerstalker

Lol! No, i meant if you knew where a Den was, then set a cage close to den without disturbing it! Catch the mother, and then you'd catch the kits!

Done some voluntary work tracking Pine Maten in the Nephin Beg range, where a female was killed on the road, and kits were all caught with cages close to where the mother was killed,

The oracle - Not worthy

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Thedeerstalker

The oracle - Not worthy

Lol Dont know if that was meant to be an insult or a compliment!

Probably an insult! Lol

How have people faired out numbers wise for the year? Caught my 70 th mink of the year on St. Stephens day. Lost only 1 trap when a bank eroded away in the floods. Mk6 fenn traps have really done the job this year for me. Be interesting to hear what lads have got....

• Advertisement

How have people faired out numbers wise for the year? Caught my 70 th mink of the year on St. Stephens day. Lost only 1 trap when a bank eroded away in the floods. Mk6 fenn traps have really done the job this year for me. Be interesting to hear what lads have got....

Well done lad! That's great going!👍

Advertisement