Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mink trapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭minktrapper

The floods must be moving them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

The floods must be moving them.

Yea the floods shifted the mink onto dry ditches etc. Then as the floods subside, you'll catch them as they are returning to the river.

Sorry lads couldn't manage to upload a poor quality photo of my morning, so here's a poor quality video instead lol

Anyone getting any mink at the moment. I have a trap down and it is being continuously being set off. Anyone any ideas?. I can't put down a trail cam as no where to attach it to.

Anyone getting any mink at the moment. I have a trap down and it is being continuously being set off. Anyone any ideas?. I can't put down a trail cam as no where to attach it to.

Does it look like the set is being dug out or that something is getting out of trap? I recon it's either otter, or human setting it off. Otters are very clever. They pull out the trap, setting it off, to get at the bait. They don't get caught doing so.
    I had such a situation last week, where an otter set off and pulled out a fenn. There was some really nice otter tracks in the mud right at my set. I should have taken photo's but never thought.

To combat this, I use feathers instead of bait in my pockets.

• Advertisement

I can't see any footprints so I think it is none of the above. Having said that I can't see any mink footprints either. There is no digging being done so I think it might be a magpie or other small bird. There is always a magpie or two floating around when I am setting it. I hope to set another trap and maybe change that trap to a fenn trap. I caught a magpie once in a conibear trap a few years ago. If I got some magpie feathers and put them in the pocket do you think it would work. I also had a robin stealing my bait a few years back.

I can't see any footprints so I think it is none of the above. Having said that I can't see any mink footprints either. There is no digging being done so I think it might be a magpie or other small bird. There is always a magpie or two floating around when I am setting it. I hope to set another trap and maybe change that trap to a fenn trap. I caught a magpie once in a conibear trap a few years ago. If I got some magpie feathers and put them in the pocket do you think it would work. I also had a robin stealing my bait a few years back.

A magpie would get caught if it was the culprit. Mice, small birds would be able to pop in and out without setting off the trap. Yes, you won't see any footprints unless you have a muddy bank, so hard to know what's doing it. Does it look like trap is just being fired off, or fired off and pulled out of the way? Is the bait being taken? What notch are you setting on? I set up a my trail cam on a piece of 3×2. Three feet long, with a wedge cut out of the bottom. Hammered into the ground beside set.

I have it set on the lightest notch. I have a muddy bank where the trap is set. I will keep a closer look for footprints. Where it is set is very difficult for a person to access. I will check it in future to see if it is being fired off or being pulled.

I have it set on the lightest notch. I have a muddy bank where the trap is set. I will keep a closer look for footprints. Where it is set is very difficult for a person to access. I will check it in future to see if it is being fired off or being pulled.

If you spot prints take a photo with a coin or something for scale. Interested to know what it is myself.

Eddie B wrote: »

If you spot prints take a photo with a coin or something for scale. Interested to know what it is myself.

Will do. I might set the trap to the heavier setting so something small like a bird won't set it off.

• Advertisement

I didn't get back to my trap yet due to the endless flooding. But having said that anyone catching any mink.

I didn't get back to my trap yet due to the endless flooding. But having said that anyone catching any mink.

Got one yesterday. Only catch in the last week. Finnishing up in the moring.

Have you being trapping all along Eddie. Waste of time trapping here due to the endless flooding.

Have you being trapping all along Eddie. Waste of time trapping here due to the endless flooding.

I trapped up until a couple a days before Christmas, and then set a few traps last week, and pulling all tomorrow. Got a good few this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

Eddie B wrote:
    I trapped up until a couple a days before Christmas, and then set a few traps last week, and pulling all tomorrow. Got a good few this year.

When will you Start again Eddie

idnkph wrote: »
    When will you Start again Eddie

Late September or early October is usually when I start.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Just on this topic seen this news report.

I was wondering what the guy done wrong, but obviously the traps he imported were in violation of the wildlife act which probably means they were not live catch.

Shows they are watching lads, just be careful what ye use.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    Just on this topic seen this news report.

I was wondering what the guy done wrong, but obviously the traps he imported were in violation of the wildlife act which probably means they were not live catch.

Shows they are watching lads, just be careful what ye use.

He obviously had a very bad lawyer, because there is nothing there to say you can't import traps from the US. Unless the law has changed, which I see no evidence of, then they had no grounds to fine him. Kill traps are legal here unless they were larger than 110 size, which are obviously designed for bigger animals than mink. Foot holds are illegal here, and someone was prosecuted for this a couple of years back.

I think this is the part of legislation that got him.

(6) Any person who imports, other than pursuant to and in accordance with a licence granted by the Minister in that behalf, or who in the course of his trade or business sells a trap, snare or net which pursuant to subsection (4) of this section is for the time being declared by the Minister to be a trap, snare or net to which this subsection applies shall be guilty of an offence

It says import. That would surely mean EU as well. Id put my bottom dollar the NWPS had a big hand to play in this. Looks like the traps were legal, So they got him on a rediculous import thing that i personally think only refers to importing illegal traps.

Here is the legislation on approved traps

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2003/si/620/made/en/print

The danger is, anyone (especially a government run body) can fool a judge into believing someone has done some major crime if they wish.

By the way lads, also be careful when cage trapping. Caught with a protected animal in your trap, and your at the mercy of the NPWS and the courts.

It says import. That would surely mean EU as well.

Not so. While you're importing, as long as its from within the EU there is a free movement of goods deal among the 28 member states so not the same scrutiny/laws as from outside the US.

It caught my attention because like you i couldn't see the issue. It seems to be a fine point of law, but they nailed him for it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

Not so. While you're importing, as long as its from within the EU there is a free movement of goods deal among the 28 member states so not the same scrutiny/laws as from outside the US.

It caught my attention because like you i couldn't see the issue. It seems to be a fine point of law, but they nailed him for it.

Cass i really think this guy was either simply screwed, or the traps he imported were not yer average mink size trap.

Look here

3.   The following traps, snares and nets are declared to be approved of for the purposes of section 34 of the Act of 1976, as amended by section 42 of the Act of 2000:

(a)(i) a cage or net trap designed to capture alive wild birds or wild animals,

and

(ii) a spring trap which is not a gin trap and which is designed to secure either-

(I)      the immediate death, or

(II)     the immediate unconsciousness and subsequent death without intervening consciousness,

of wild birds or wild animals which it is designed to trap

These regulations replace the Wildlife Act 1976 (Approved Traps, Snares and Nets Regulations 1977 ( S.I. No. 307 of 1977 ) and declare what are approved traps, snares and nets for the taking or killing (as appropriate) of any wild bird, wild mammal or protected wild animal whether or not the taking or killing is done pursuant to a licence granted under the Wildlife Acts 1976 and 2000. The effect of Regulation 4 of the Regulations is to make it an offence to import without licence or sell any trap, snare or net which is not a trap, snare or net described in Regulation 3 (a), (b), (c) and (d).

This shows a much clearer picture to me, of what the law states. I mean, most of these traps can be got in the UK for christ sake.

My reading of what little info there was on the case seems to be that he imported traps that were not allowed/legal. I think you said the same above.

The Wildlife Act is a mess, frankly. If one were to read it all you'd find a lot of things people either never think about or thought was legal is actually not.

My reading of what little info there was on the case seems to be that he imported traps that were not allowed/legal. I think you said the same above.

The Wildlife Act is a mess, frankly.
    If one were to read it all you'd find a lot of things people either never think about or thought was legal is actually not.

Yes, there is where lies the problem. At least in the UK, including Northern Ireland, the actual brand of trap is mentioned in legislation. Therefore, you know exactly what can, and cannot be used. I always thought it was better here, because the legislation was so vague, that it seemed any spring trap was legal unless it was a foothold, or gin. Now apparently they have nailed a guy for importing traps from America.

Hopefully they were indeed illegal traps if some sort, or this is down right rediculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Anybody use mink anal glands as bait. Have a mink caught and might try and cut them out (after dispatching mink). Does it work only in breeding season? How long does breeding season last?

Anybody use mink anal glands as bait. Have a mink caught and might try and cut them out (after dispatching mink). Does it work only in breeding season? How long does breeding season last?

Breeding season is well over now, and this year's young will be dispersing soon, but that won't matter either way. You usually attract males with gland lure. It works very well at times, but could also have a negative effect with females and young mink.

I've taken glands from mink in the past, and it ain't a pleasant job. When you cut the gland, you can practically taste it, it's thst strong. Also, whilst extracting glands in the shed, herself was yelling down the yard about "THE F****ING SMELL" lol.

I've never made, nor bought a lure as strong as the real thing. What I do now is, every time I catch a mink, I take it round to all my other sets, and rub the carcass around the area. Rub inside tunnels if using kill traps or inside live cages. NOTHING BEATS IT. You can also use the parts of the mink as bait. Hard to keep any meat baits fresh though, this time of year.

So IMO it really aint worth the hassle. For the little bit of lure you get out of it, and for all that can go wrong, it's hardly worth it. If you wanna give it a try, then fire ahead. Jar, bit of glycerine, and you got some lure.

O, another thing. When dispatching, don't make much of a fuss. If the mink fires off those glands, there won't be much of the good stuff left, and so not worth taking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Breeding season is well over now, and this year's young will be dispersing soon, but that won't matter either way. You usually attract males with gland lure. It works very well at times, but could also have a negative effect with females and young mink.

I've taken glands from mink in the past, and it ain't a pleasant job. When you cut the gland, you can practically taste it, it's thst strong. Also, whilst extracting glands in the shed, herself was yelling down the yard about "THE F****ING SMELL" lol.

I've never made, nor bought a lure as strong as the real thing. What I do now is, every time I catch a mink, I take it round to all my other sets, and rub the carcass around the area. Rub inside tunnels if using kill traps or inside live cages. NOTHING BEATS IT. You can also use the parts of the mink as bait. Hard to keep any meat baits fresh though, this time of year.

So IMO it really aint worth the hassle. For the little bit of lure you get out of it, and for all that can go wrong, it's hardly worth it. If you wanna give it a try, then fire ahead. Jar, bit of glycerine, and you got some lure.

O, another thing. When dispatching, don't make much of a fuss. If the mink fires off those glands, there won't be much of the good stuff left, and so not worth taking them.

Great advice:)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 NatureGirl

Hi Eddie and all,

I've been searching the net for advice on live trapping mink, but have got the most advice from this thread.

I have one killing my chickens, at night and in the middle of the day whilst I am in the garden making noise ! It is not shy at all and I was even able to snap a photo of it whilst it was staring at me grrrr

I need to get rid of it very fast, for the sake of the rest of my chickens and the birds etc around the place. I assume it won't go for my pet cats ?

I have a mid sized live catch 'rat cage' for multiple rats, but I'm thinking it's not big enough maybe ? Although the mink looks pretty small...and could defo fit in it if it wanted to. I am using tinned tuna and cooked leftover chicken in it. I have placed it next to the tunnel it dug to get into one of my hens it killed. I left the chicken body there so it keeps coming back to try and get the hen out of the pen lol The hen is way to fat to fit through it's tunnel. Anyway, I'm hoping it comes back and eventually goes into the trap.

I haven't disguised the trap at all. Should I ? I

I am truly expecting to wake up tomorrow to find the rest of my hens and my cockerel killed :( even though I have tried my best to fortify their sleeping houses.

I'm intending to contact the NPWS early tomorrow morning, to see what they are do, as I live on a SAC area and the mink is obviously ravaging the wildfowl I'd guess !

Any help would be wonderful please, anyone :)

Amanda (between Gort and Kinvara, Clare-Galway border).

NatureGirl wrote: »
    Hi Eddie and all,

I've been searching the net for advice on live trapping mink, but have got the most advice from this thread.

I have one killing my chickens, at night and in the middle of the day whilst I am in the garden making noise ! It is not shy at all and I was even able to snap a photo of it whilst it was staring at me grrrr

I need to get rid of it very fast, for the sake of the rest of my chickens and the birds etc around the place. I assume it won't go for my pet cats ?

I have a mid sized live catch 'rat cage' for multiple rats, but I'm thinking it's not big enough maybe ? Although the mink looks pretty small...and could defo fit in it if it wanted to. I am using tinned tuna and cooked leftover chicken in it. I have placed it next to the tunnel it dug to get into one of my hens it killed. I left the chicken body there so it keeps coming back to try and get the hen out of the pen lol The hen is way to fat to fit through it's tunnel. Anyway, I'm hoping it comes back and eventually goes into the trap.

I haven't disguised the trap at all. Should I ? I

I am truly expecting to wake up tomorrow to find the rest of my hens and my cockerel killed :( even though I have tried my best to fortify their sleeping houses.

I'm intending to contact the NPWS early tomorrow morning, to see what they are do, as I live on a SAC area and the mink is obviously ravaging the wildfowl I'd guess !

Any help would be wonderful please, anyone :)

Amanda (between Gort and Kinvara, Clare-Galway border).

Hi, yes this can be a very tricky situation. You could catch the culprit on the first night, and then again, it could really give you the run around. Often the culprit doesn't return after a night or two, and is never seen again. This is probably a young mink. They start to disperse around September onwards. They can be brazen too, and show no fear of humans. Even more so than adults.

I really think you need to up your bets on catching this mink by setting more traps. So yes, NPWS might help you out. What about a local gun club? Do you know of any, or anyone who's in one? You need to work fast, because it may kill again, or disappear, only to return in a few weeks.

With regards your trap. It may work, but your better off getting a propper mink trap. Better still, make it two or three. Because foul will always attract predators. So be prepared, and have traps set year round.

Bait. Tinned sardines/tuna etc are good for mink. Cooked chicken not so good. What about the head of one of the kills. Now that'd make a good bait. They like heads.

I cover my traps with grass/rocks etc but some dont cover at all and still catch. Anyway, that's my two pence worth. Best of luck, and hope you don't lose any more birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Cheap and nasty mink trap. Acquire a length of about 5foot of Wavin sewer pipe[orange in colour about 8in dia and available usually as a cut off on any building site]. Block off one end utterly and solidly. I just make a plug of
    5ins of concrete, sitting atop of some wadded newspaper in one end. You can get fancy and buy an end cap and glue it on too. Take a can of sardines and dribble the oil down the pipe and chuck the contents down to the base of the pipe. Rest the pipe with the open end up around 30 degrees on a hedge, fence,etc where you think the mink has entered your property.

How this works is corny but simple. The mink climb up whatever and into the pipe, as they are used to holes and tunnels they have no fear of these and smell the fish. They can climb down, but can't turn or climb back up the slippery pipe either.
    You empty the trap by simply putting a sturdy bag, like an empty coal bag, or better an old tough canvas bag like a surplus kit bag over the end, tying it on with some string or duct tape and inverting the pipe. and giving it a shake.Mr mink is deposited into the bag and all you have to do is tie off the neck of the bag nice and secure. You will certainly know there is a mink in it as well by the vibrations and generally annoyed sounds the mink will make . I have caught a half dozen mink with this over the years and it doesn't even look like a trap.Just a discarded bit of sewer pipe.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

GGHA.ie someone will help you if you contact them

Advertisement