Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mink trapping

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Does the diameter of the sewer pipe make a difference. Grizzly says 8". Would 6" pipe be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

spotted 7 death mink on the n52 today , storm related or farm escapees :confused: ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Snowc wrote: »
    spotted 7 death mink on the n52 today , storm related or farm escapees :confused: ?

I lost them out the boot of me car lol. Twenty quids worth there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Yeah probably flushed out by heavy rain - just goes to show how many of the feckers are about. Have taken several dozen already off our 3 Curlew bogs alone this year!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Where on the N52 was that ? It's a good spin from Nenagh to Dundalk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Benny mcc

I understood all mink farms shut down here. Haven't had a mink attack in long time here but marten playing hell with roosting birds.

Benny mcc wrote: »
    I understood all mink farms shut down here. Haven't had a mink attack in long time here but marten playing hell with roosting birds.

No, still three farms in the country. Yes the vast majority of foul kills these days, are done by marten. Especially here in the midlands. They really are thriving the last number of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Does the diameter of the sewer pipe make a difference. Grizzly says 8". Would 6" pipe be ok.

Yup its fine too:) Just so long as the mink has no space to turn around in.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Yup its fine too:) Just so long as the mink has no space to turn around in.

I presume a 4" pipe would also be adequate.

Anybody trapping this time of year.

• Advertisement

Anybody trapping this time of year.

I done two weeks down from the house and got two. Don't think I'm gonna do any more this year. Busy with other stuff and just don't have the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Benny mcc

I trap most the year on and off. 4 cages and 2 trap box with fen traps in. Not gettin much of late but that's the way they are you'll get 2 or 3 and then nothing for a month

Our Curlew project traps all year round. However this time of year is slow enough unless you get major rainfall events that force movement of mink into new areas

I have always seen that. Great time to trap mink during a flood. Curlers are rarely seen nowadays. What has happened them?

I find its actually after a flood, when water is dropping, that catch rates go up. Mink are displaced from rivers during flood, and move onto ditches, drains etc. Once the flood starts to receed, mink will return to the rivers, and travel the banks back to reclaim territories.

I have always seen that. Great time to trap mink during a flood. Curlers are rarely seen nowadays. What has happened them?

Loss of habitat due to the usual suspects - particularly industrial conifer plantations that provide cover for generalist nest predators like Hooded crows and foxes adjacent to the ever shrinking number of suitable sites(bogs,callows,bottom lands adjacent raised bogs etc.). I've been to a number of workshops on this and we are told that the negative effects of conifer forestry can be felt by breeding pairs up to 2km away!!:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BryanL

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Loss of habitat due to the usual suspects - particularly industrial conifer plantations that provide cover for generalist nest predators like Hooded crows and foxes adjacent to the ever shrinking number of suitable sites(bogs,callows,bottom lands adjacent raised bogs etc.). I've been to a number of workshops on this and we are told that the negative effects of conifer forestry can be felt by breeding pairs up to 2km away!!:(

The gospel being preached at the moment seems to be all anti plantation.

The rspb research points to predators.

"However, RSPB research in Northern Ireland identified high levels of predation on nests as the likely cause of population declines, with foxes being the most important predators. Similar findings have been obtained from declining populations elsewhere in Europe, suggesting that increases in predator populations have also contributed to declines.

In some upland areas, the control of foxes and crows by gamekeepers managing moorlands for red grouse shooting may be important in maintaining breeding curlew populations and preventing further declines."

The huge population drops in Curlews within a 10 years time frame doesn't correlate with a big change in plantations.

Read more at https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/curlew/conservation/#9SVl4sDOyd0Sfj8m.99

Birdnuts wrote: »

I've worked with birdwatch Ireland, on Islands on the river Shannon. One particular island had a good population of breeding waders, but a poor breeding success rate. There was a single tree on the Island, and crows and magpies use tree's to spot nests, eggs etc. By removing the tree, the success rate improved considerably.

Eddie B wrote: »
    I've worked with birdwatch Ireland, on Islands on the river Shannon. One particular island had a good population of breeding waders, but a poor breeding success rate. There was a single tree on the Island, and crows and magpies use tree's to spot nests, eggs etc. By removing the tree, the success rate improved considerably.

Seems to be the same with the grey partridge project in Boora. Predator control seems to be a very important tool for the success of the project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭Cadpat_cowboy

That's mad, I never thought that one tree could affect a habitat that much. It explains why I hardly ever see ducks breeding on the lake near me surrounded by trees.

• Advertisement

Yep - Lough Carrowmore a few miles from my small holding in Erris has an island in it important for breeding Common Gulls and Terns. However in recent years chick survival had declined dramatically. NPWS trapper went to investigate last year and found the single tree on the island had a recent Grey Crow nest established. Action was taken last year and this year productivity notably increased - QED!!

BryanL wrote: »
    The gospel being preached at the moment seems to be all anti plantation.

The rspb research points to predators.

"However, RSPB research in Northern Ireland identified high levels of predation on nests as the likely cause of population declines, with foxes being the most important predators. Similar findings have been obtained from declining populations elsewhere in Europe, suggesting that increases in predator populations have also contributed to declines.

In some upland areas, the control of foxes and crows by gamekeepers managing moorlands for red grouse shooting may be important in maintaining breeding curlew populations and preventing further declines."

The huge population drops in Curlews within a 10 years time frame doesn't correlate with a big change in plantations.

Read more at https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/curlew/conservation/#9SVl4sDOyd0Sfj8m.99

Actually what I said supports that - my point was that conifer plantations installed next to Curlew habitat dramatically increase predator pressures as they significantly boost the population densities of crows,foxes etc. Our intense predator control of mink,crows,fox etc. has in only 2 years significantly boosted breeding populations of the likes of snipe,lapwing etc. However we can never let our guard down since the large conifer plantations at the edge of some of these sites continue to attract large flocks of roosting Grey Crows from surrounding farmland:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

Anyone trapping and getting anything?

idnkph wrote: »
    Anyone trapping and getting anything?

Got a couple last week. Great time of year to get a few mink. Males will be returning to the main rivers in search of females as mating season is upon us.

Anybody trapping any mink lately.

Any mink being caught. I got one lately. I also saw a trout rising to a fly and a mink spotted it too. The mink swam out to where the fish rose,dived down and came back up with the trout in its mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭Woodcock shot

Very slack lately, i’ve only the one caught in the last 3 months

I suppose we will never be rid of them.

I suppose we will never be rid of them.

I don't trap this time of year, but yea, they are here to stay I'm afraid. All we can do is keep numbers down. It's when numbers are high, that preasure is put on other species. Of course certain situations like tern colonies ect, a single mink can do a lot of harm.

• Advertisement

Anyone trapping. Put down a cage a few days ago. Nothing yet.

Advertisement