Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hungry? C4 to create comedy series...about the famine

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

yipeeeee wrote: »
    We really are a laughing stock of a nation.

Think it's great fun been called paddies and love our reputation of been dipsos.

No wonder were made fun of, ah the Irish are great crack.

Imagine the reaction from Israel if a comedy was made about concentration camps during world war 2.
    Can I get a link to that draft of the script you've obviously read?

EDIT: Oh and for the millionth time on this thread, check out Life is Beautiful. It won the second highest honour at Cannes, best foreign language film at the Oscars and was even nominated for best picture despite not being an English language film... and the Jewish community have a lot of sway in Hollywood.
    Life Is Beautiful (Italian: La vita è bella) is a 1997 Italian tragicomedy comedy-drama film directed by and starring Roberto Benigni. Benigni plays Guido Orefice, a Jewish Italian book shop owner, who must employ his fertile imagination to shield his son from the horrors of internment in a Nazi concentration camp. Part of the film came from Benigni's own family history; before Roberto's birth, his father had survived three years of internment at the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp. The film was a critical and financial success, winning Benigni the Academy Award for Best Actor at the 71st Academy Awards as well as the Academy Award for Best Original Dramatic Score and the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Robsweezie wrote: »
    screw it. if us Irish can dish it out about other cultures we should be able to take it as well.
    Are you sure you're Irish :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Billy86 wrote: »
    Can I get a link to that draft of the script you've obviously read?

EDIT: Oh and for the millionth time on this thread, check out Life is Beautiful. It won the second highest honour at Cannes, best foreign language film at the Oscars and was even nominated for best picture despite not being an English language film... and the Jewish community have a lot of sway in Hollywood.

Saving Private Ryan won Academy award for best director, Best cinematography, sound, film editing, Golden Globe for best motion picture, best director, Online Film Critics Society Award for Best Ensemble Cast Performance and many more..

The Thin Red Line didn't.

Allyall wrote: »
    Saving Private Ryan won Academy award for best director, Best cinematography, sound, film editing, Golden Globe for best motion picture, best director, Online Film Critics Society Award for Best Ensemble Cast Performance and many more..

The Thin Red Line didn't.
    They were comedies?

They were comedies?

They were different movies/directors/actors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I like to think I see the funny side of most things but this seems a little off.

Our people didn't die because there was a potato blight, we died because a foreign oppressor wanted us dead. We have never recovered numbers over a 150 years later.

what the fcuk is funny about that?

I would have thought if that were true, a less indirect method would have been chosen.

I'll accept that indifference and bull**** laissez-faire economics played a huge part, but I think it unlikely that it was a conscious act of mass homicide.

They were different movies/directors/actors.
    What do either have to do with comedies based in tragic situations, though?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

MadsL wrote: »
    I would have thought if that were true, a less indirect method would have been chosen.

I'll accept that indifference and bull**** laissez-faire economics played a huge part, but I think it unlikely that it was a conscious act of mass homicide.

Through the whole time other food stuffs were being exported out of the Island. The British took advantage of the situation and turned the screw on us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

yipeeeee wrote: »
    We really are a laughing stock of a nation.

Think it's great fun been called paddies and love our reputation of been dipsos.

No wonder were made fun of, ah the Irish are great crack.

Imagine the reaction from Israel if a comedy was made about concentration camps during world war 2.

What do you expect? Look at our reaction to being fuc ked over by our supposed betters time and again. Ah sure it'll be grand. :rolleyes: We are a laughing stock for a reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Through the whole time other food stuffs were being exported out of the Island. The British took advantage of the situation and turned the screw on us.

As I already pointed put earlier - from 1846 through 1850, more food was imported into the country than exported.

If the Government really wanted to exterminate the population why allow an amount equivalent to 50% of the island's food production to be imported????

• Advertisement

Jawgap wrote: »
    As I already pointed put earlier - from 1846 through 1850, more food was imported into the country than exported.

If the Government really wanted to exterminate the population why allow an amount equivalent to 50% of the island's food production to be imported????

Are you British by any chance?

Are you British by any chance?

What has that got to do with anything?

The stats cited were compiled by an Irish historian (a Professor of economic history in UCD) if that helps :rolleyes:

What has that got to do with anything?

The stats cited were compiled by an Irish historian (a Professor of economic history in UCD) if that helps :rolleyes:

Your PM said this, among other things
    "The famine was a defining event in the history of Ireland and Britain. It has left deep scars. That one million people should have died in what was then part of the richest and most powerful nation in the world is something that still causes pain as we reflect on it today. Those who governed in London at the time failed their people."

What do either have to do with comedies based in tragic situations, though?

I don't see why Life is Beautiful keeps getting mentioned, other than it was succesful.
    There hasn't been any mention of Jakob the Liar, which wasn't terrible, but flopped.

I don't mind that a person wants to make a comedy about the famine, or any subject, as long as the 'comedy' is unique to that event. Otherwise it's pointless. The fact that a British TV station has commissioned it does make a difference, whether or not anyone cares to admit it.
    It would be the equivalent of an American commissioned sitcom based during the aftermath of Hiroshima.
    Just very bad taste.

It's not always about freedom of speech.

Your PM said this, among other things

My PM???

What are you on about??

And mod or no mod should you be quoting PMs in a thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

We could probably go around in circles here, from my reading even historians can't get a consensus on whether it was a genocide or not.

Do you seriously regard that as homicide? If you do, was turning off your TV during Live Aid and refusing to help the Ethiopian famine also an act of homicide?

The export of agricultural goods was subject to contract, even today future contracts for the export of agricultural produce would still be valid in time of famine/drought.

This effect was also noticed during the Ethiopian famine...
    Instead of replenishing the country's emergency food stocks, grain was exported to meet Ethiopia's debt servicing obligations. Close to one million tons of the 1996 harvest was exported, an amount which would have been amply sufficient (according to FAO figures) to meet the 1999-2000 emergency. In fact the same food staple which had been exported (namely maize) was re-imported barely a few months later. The world market had confiscated Ethiopia's grain reserves.
    http://www.globalresearch.ca/articles/CHO109B.html

My PM???

What are you on about??

And mod or no mod should you be quoting PMs in a thread?

PM

I'm not sure what link is too, but I've checked and I've never sent you a PM (as in a private message) - so perhaps you'd care to withdraw your remarks?

I doubt there's much point in reporting the issue.....

MadsL wrote: »
    Do you seriously regard that as homicide? If you do, was turning off your TV during Live Aid and refusing to help the Ethiopian famine also an act of homicide?

The export of agricultural goods was subject to contract, even today future contracts for the export of agricultural produce would still be valid in time of famine/drought.

This effect was also noticed during the Ethiopian famine...

http://www.globalresearch.ca/articles/CHO109B.html

What has that to do with the prosecution of the Irish people?

sorry Man, I'm not going to argue examples of wrong doing over the globe with you.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure what link is too, but I've checked and I've never sent you a PM (as in a private message) - so perhaps you'd care to withdraw your remarks?

Prime Minister Tony Blair, made that statement.

But yeah, report away.

He means Prime Minister. I guess he also assumes you are British.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

He's quite clearly talking about talking about Tony Blair =/

Prime Minister Tony Blair, made that statement.

But yeah, report away.

You mean prime minister?????

Who says I'm British?? And why is my nationality relevant??

For the record, I'm Irish........born here, reared here (and have even represented my country abroad on an occasion or two)

.......I also have certain quals / experience in history, archives and research.....

He's quite clearly talking about talking about Tony Blair =/

Yeah, I finally figured that out. I guess my nationality wasn't the only assumption being leapt to......

What has that to do with the prosecution of the Irish people?

sorry Man, I'm not going to argue examples of wrong doing over the globe with you.

You are deflecting. I asking if refusing to send money to a famine hit area is also a homicidal act in your view?

You claim that the British nation wanted the Irish dead. It has been pointed out that other nations, even in the modern age, export food in times of famine, and also that in fact more food was coming in than was being exported.

If it was an intentional genocide then it is a funny way to go about it, regardless of the historical outcome.

I don't see why Life is Beautiful keeps getting mentioned, other than it was succesful.
    There hasn't been any mention of Jakob the Liar, which wasn't terrible, but flopped.

I don't mind that a person wants to make a comedy about the famine, or any subject, as long as the 'comedy' is unique to that event. Otherwise it's pointless. The fact that a British TV station has commissioned it does make a difference, whether or not anyone cares to admit it.
    It would be the equivalent of an American commissioned sitcom based during the aftermath of Hiroshima.
    Just very bad taste.

It's not always about freedom of speech.
    Life is Beautiful was made in Italy, Hitler's closest ally in WWII. It obviously keeps getting mentioned because it shows that comedy can be made about tragic circumstances, and be very successful because of it.

C4 is British of course, but the writer is Irish and/or has lived and studied for years in Ireland, and they made 'our' most sitcom of all time in Father Ted os Hiroshima isn't a perfect example unless it was made by a channel that had done something similar on Japanese TV, and written by a Japanese-American writer. It also doesn't help things that we have basically never produced a good comedy TV show domestically (off the top of my head, at least?).

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Without being shot, why do some Irish feel so passionate about the famine? It's no longer in living memory, our grandparents weren't even alive to witness it. It's just a part of our history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

If it turns out to be brilliant satire then fair enough, something akin to Siegfried Sassoon's poems and critics of World War 1.

Modern TV likes to keep things dumbed down though so I'm not holding my breath.

• Advertisement

mal1 wrote: »
    Without being shot, why do some Irish feel so passionate about the famine? It's no longer in living memory, our grandparents weren't even alive to witness it. It's just a part of our history.

Sinead O'Connor exposure at a young age perhaps?

Advertisement