Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hungry? C4 to create comedy series...about the famine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,555 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

No, not just that post - obviously. Oh yeh, plenty of self loathing Irish people with an inferiority complex. Makes no difference.

Lol see what you want to see but you really shouldn't take words on a screen so seriously because often they get read wrong (as you have just proven).

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭pillphil

Anyone else think it's not cool to laugh about an event that not even 200 years ago killed a million Irish people and drove another million from their country to survive, signalling the start of a free fall in population and economic circumstances that would last over a century?

But maybe I'm not cool and aloof enough to laugh at stuff like this. We'll wait and see.

Do you imagine that despite the misery, there wasn't a streak of black humour running through the people who had to endure the famine?
    Humour is how we survive the worst things that happen to us.
    A show laughing at the stupid dying paddies who didn't know how to grow anything but potatoes would be disrespectful (but since it happened 200 years ago, not something to be offended by), a show about how people used humour to cope with the misery wouldn't be disrespectful.

For all I know, he could be making the first example, but since it doesn't even exist yet, perhaps it's a bit early to getting outraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Hardly appropriate anyway you look at it .. But I suppose if RTÉ or TV3 were to broadcast a comedy series about the IRA bombings on the British mainland or the London 2005 7/7 bombings then it would be acceptable to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

pillphil wrote: »
    Do you imagine that despite the misery, there wasn't a streak of black humour running through the people who had to endure the famine?
    Humour is how we survive the worst things that happen to us.
    A show laughing at the stupid dying paddies who didn't know how to grow anything but potatoes would be disrespectful (but since it happened 200 years ago, not something to be offended by), a show about how people used humour to cope with the misery wouldn't be disrespectful.
    This. It's why I can watch Django Unchained but not 12 Years A Slave, and Inglourious Basterds but not Schindler's List, and Blackadder Goes Forth but not Gallipoli.
    None of them shy away from the horrific realities (some extremely brutal scenes in the Tarantino ones) and are not disrespectful or insensitive. Very much the opposite actually IMO. But that little bit of comic relief and warmth gives the feeling that it isn't *completely* time to give up on the world.
    It actually injects a dose of humanity IMO.
    Plus, laughing at monsters is an important thing to do IMO. Mel Brooks (a Jew) swore by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

People who say " 'certain topic' is no laughing matter", really piss me off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Mel Brooks (a Jew) swore by it.

Whoa. What?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,220 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

This. It's why I can watch Django Unchained but not 12 Years A Slave, and Inglourious Basterds but not Schindler's List, and Blackadder Goes Forth but not Gallipoli.
    None of them shy away from the horrific realities (some extremely brutal scenes in the Tarantino ones) and are not disrespectful or insensitive. Very much the opposite actually IMO. But that little bit of comic relief and warmth gives the feeling that it isn't *completely* time to give up on the world.
    It actually injects a dose of humanity IMO.
    Plus, laughing at monsters is an important thing to do IMO. Mel Brooks (a Jew) swore by it.

look at MASH. Set in a war, in a hospital with people dying from war wounds. Still quite funny though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,220 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Whoa. What?

Mel Gibson told her.

I know I'm stealing that line

• Registered Users Posts: 82,599 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There was no "famine" the country had plenty of food and animals in the country at the time that were exported to the UK if you look at the cargos leaving the ports at the time, plenty to feed everyone. A genocide might be a better description to what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

There was no "famine" the country had plenty of food and animals in the country at the time that were exported to the UK if you look at the cargos leaving the ports at the time, plenty to feed everyone. A genocide might be a better description to what happened.

I often wondered why people in the coastal counties at least didnt stock up on mackerel from the sea during the summer during the famine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,599 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I often wondered why people in the coastal counties at least didnt stock up on mackerel from the sea during the summer during the famine.

They did.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

Why all the starvation then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

People sold fishing boats/equipment for food and as time went on, wouldn't have had the energy anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

What happpens when you overfish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

lertsnim wrote: »
    I can't wait till someone does a comedy series based on the Holocaust.

Or a funny film about a concentration camp like say.... Life is Beautiful?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Potentially positive? Are you for real? The English will have a great laugh at the thick Paddies who couldn't grow their potatoes.

That's a bit presumptuous, isn't it? A great quote I read about comedy a few years back was that it is often "criticism masked as entertainment" and if they go down that avenue it could actually turn out pretty good.

Allyall wrote: »
    No it's not.
    It's being written by a guy living in Dublin. But he's not Irish.

Where's he from then? Anything I can find about him would indicate he's Irish.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

thelad95 wrote: »
    I think the Interview has set a new low in terms of what can be satirised so this doesn't actually seem that bad.
    Not even remotely close.

Until this incident North Korea would have been deemed acceptable targets, chosen so as to not offend any paying movie goers.

Kinda reminds me of this http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070354/
    French film where the villain is the head of the Albanian Secret Service.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

It would be some task to find the funny side of the famine. You'd have to steer pretty clear of any source material. So clear, in fact, that it would almost need to be about something else entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

So when will the series on the famine in Ethopia be coming on our screens, bet that will be hilarious.

30 years ago might be too soon though, let's laugh at the 1 million who died by the roadside in the 1840's instead and are probably buried all around us.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

It would be some task to find the funny side of the famine. You'd have to steer pretty clear of any source material. So clear, in fact, that it would almost need to be about something else entirely.

Unless youre a talented comedy writer, . There's a few about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

Wish people would stop getting offended before seeing the flipping thing. As has been said, comedies have been done about lots of awful periods in history, and with taste and sensitivity.

Unless youre a talented comedy writer, . There's a few about.

Really? I'd say they're like hen's teeth.

Wish people would stop getting offended before seeing the flipping thing.

Sure it hasn't even been bloody written yet and people are losing their sh*t over it.

But of course they'll all apologise online publicly if it turns out to be hilarious. That's what happens isn't it?

So when will the series on the famine in Ethopia be coming on our screens, bet that will be hilarious.

30 years ago might be too soon though, let's laugh at the 1 million who died by the roadside in the 1840's instead and are probably buried all
    Youre assuming the humour will be derogatory to those who died, perhaps it will take another angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭flunkyfearsome

Grayson wrote: »
    look at MASH. Set in a war, in a hospital with people dying from war wounds. Still quite funny though.

Hot lips Mahoney 😜😜😜😜😜😜

Really? I'd say they're like hen's teeth.

Then let's wait and see who writes and produces it.
    Or we can just condemn now.

Then let's wait and see who writes and produces it.
    Or we can just condemn now.

I haven't condemned anything. I expressed my skepticism.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

The guy writes for Katherine Lynch..

so it will be about as funny as famine

• Advertisement

david75 wrote: »
    The guy writes for Katherine Lynch..

so it will be about as funny as famine

Does he? Can't see that on his list of credits.

Advertisement