Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grass measuring 2015

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

There's 7 grazings on that ha if allocating 7kg. Need to be out of silage by midnight to get clean out. If they're finished grazing at 12 you can bring in if you wish.

Must hit targets and graze out to have quality for season

Other yrs we wouldn't have this problem because we'd be tight on silage.
    First world problems.
    There was only a bale of silage put into them today. Real dry stuff

There's 7 grazings on that ha if allocating 7kg. Need to be out of silage by midnight to get clean out. If they're finished grazing at 12 you can bring in if you wish.

Must hit targets and graze out to have quality for season

I'd need to be allocating 1400sq meters but they couldn't eat the 1200

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Would giving a bit less ration in morning and the balance of it in evening milking be worth a go if ye can do it gg, if you're feeding 3 give 1 in morn and 2 in the eve, will keep them a tad hungrier going out also but when your breeding with winter milkers it's a tight balance. I guess one positive is the winter herd should have a full appetite by now whereas fresh calvers have a bit to go yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

GG 35 ain't many either, most yours still dry or you keeping in late calvers? I'm sending out 49 at the min, all the April /may calvers still going out.

Timmaay wrote: »
    GG 35 ain't many either, most yours still dry or you keeping in late calvers? I'm sending out 49 at the min, all the April /may calvers still going out.

That's what's milking.
    Its only Jan. Not sending anything else out yet

Gave them a little bit this morning and pushed them back over rest of it. Cleaned it a bit better. Going to out parlour tank on it now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Gave them a little bit this morning and pushed them back over rest of it. Cleaned it a bit better. Going to out parlour tank on it now

I suppose they need a smaller area or else they end up walking it into the ground? Looks better for the extra grazing alright. How's the ground holding up? Looks good from photo.

Walked my own place and there's some difference between reseeds and old swards. No paddock fit to turn cows out on though :rolleyes:

just do it wrote: »
    I suppose they need a smaller area or else they end up walking it into the ground? Looks better for the extra grazing alright. How's the ground holding up? Looks good from photo.

Walked my own place and there's some difference between reseeds and old swards. No paddock fit to turn cows out on though :rolleyes:

Holding up well I'm not bothered about that paddock really tbh because the sward is so old its on the cards to reseed soon hopefully.
    Its just a thick mat of grass after yrs of being grazed by sheep and cows find it hard to clean out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

just do it wrote:
    Walked my own place and there's some difference between reseeds and old swards. No paddock fit to turn cows out on though 

you should nearly have a thread/blog about how the start up is going.

visatorro wrote: »
    you should nearly have a thread/blog about how the start up is going.

Oh j*s*s, I spend enough time on here as it is!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

First cover of 2015

Farm cover 660
    Covers range from 250 to 1000.

49801 wrote: »
    First cover of 2015

Farm cover 660
    Covers range from 250 to 1000.

Any stock out yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Any stock out yet?

Calm down gg tis only feb1!!!,cows out tomorrow morning here for first time and by the looks of weather at night as well till 10 0 clock anyway.maidens will get out in next 2 weeks want to hit there area with urea first ascot has got no slurry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Calm down gg tis only feb1!!!,cows out tomorrow morning here for first time and by the looks of weather at night as well till 10 0 clock anyway.maidens will get out in next 2 weeks want to hit there area with urea first ascot has got no slurry

Is rain forecast?

• Advertisement

Is rain forecast?

Not in my neck of the woods anyway,dry and cold ,would of left them out all night with option of comming back to shed but can't for another 5 days or so till more are calved and can set sheds up a bit different .urea will be staying in bag for another week or so

I know the date Mj. Mine won't be going full time time for a while yet. High demand with winter milkers

It might be only Feb 1st but I'd say we have had the mildest/driest winter in many years, I've never seen ground conditions as good this early before. I'm flatout grazing as much as I can because it could all change very quickly again, last year Feb was a washout and the year before it was the whole paddy's day week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Any stock out yet?

Not yet.
    Talking about putting out a few pens, 30, of out 1yr old dairy replacements at the end of this week to start with.

Should I go onto my hybrid now which has as cover of 1100 and clear it off or should I go graze the reseed I did last September it has a coved of 300.
    If I was to go graze my hybrid it'll be neaf end of the month before I finish it.
    I'll have fert spread on my resees then and hope fully it will be growing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Should I go onto my hybrid now which has as cover of 1100 and clear it off or should I go graze the reseed I did last September it has a coved of 300.
    If I was to go graze my hybrid it'll be neaf end of the month before I finish it.

All I can tell you gg is I'm grazing low cover reseeds to encourage tillering and let as much light as possible down to base of sward. We have much heavier covers elsewhere but want to get these going.

All I can tell you gg is I'm grazing low cover reseeds to encourage tillering and let as much light as possible down to base of sward. We have much heavier covers elsewhere but want to get these going.

That's what I'm thinking too.
    Not much on it though with a cover of 250/300
    Need to get my hybrid grazed too or it'll take off and I'll have crop of silage on it be stuck for grass to graze

I'd go graze hybrid while tis dry so as not to damage it,it's an open sward and won't take well to been poached ,also if u want to cut very high dmd silage from this in early May it needs to be skint and fertliser out before mid March..bit of fertliser on reseed when weather softens

I'd go graze hybrid while tis dry so as not to damage it,it's an open sward and won't take well to been poached ,also if u want to cut very high dmd silage from this in early May it needs to be skint and fertliser out before mid March..bit of fertliser on reseed when weather softens
    Think your right hadn't thought about it being poached.
    15-10-10 in yard waiting to be spread. Possibly week after next.
    0-7-30 and can on the way for silage ground. Hopefully get 0-7-30 on it when its grazed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭trixi2011

did a dm test on reseed came back at 25% dm didn't think a fewsh ressed would be as high as this

trixi2011 wrote: »
    did a dm test on reseed came back at 25% dm didn't think a fewsh ressed would be as high as this

I dried grass 10 days ago and it came in at 18% DM .
    I think its a bit higher though. Cows drinking a lot of water

I dried grass 10 days ago and it came in at 18% DM .
    I think its a bit higher though. Cows drinking a lot of water
    that really surprised me as it was very green reseed, older paddocks are sure to be higher.

trixi2011 wrote: »
    that really surprised me as it was very green reseed, older paddocks are sure to be higher.

Did you get much frost where you are?
    We only had two frosts up to when I tested it

Did you get much frost where you are?
    We only had two frosts up to when I tested it

Yip loads of frost

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭oooge1

Well guys what dm % would you put on grass these days ? Did a walk last week and reckon I under estimated it at 16%, wana get it right this week

• Advertisement

oooge1 wrote: »
    Well guys what dm % would you put on grass these days ? Did a walk last week and reckon I under estimated it at 16%, wana get it right this week

If not more. Cows hopping off water here.
    No silage for them tonight couldn't finish area they were given last night or today

If not more. Cows hopping off water here.
    No silage for them tonight couldn't finish area they were given last night or today

Out full whack here too,offering 3 kg of wholecrop/wrap mix and only eating about 2 kg .grass quality and clean out excellent.first collection of year yesterday tested 4..78 fat 3.76p .happy happy happy,40 units of urea out also today on 25 acres

Out full whack here too,offering 3 kg of wholecrop/wrap mix and only eating about 2 kg .grass quality and clean out excellent.first collection of year yesterday tested 4..78 fat 3.76p .happy happy happy,40 units of urea out also today on 25 acres
    How soon after calving did heifers go into tank? :P :P
    Think I will go with fert on Monday.
    Neighbor at urea beside me here.

How soon after calving did heifers go into tank? :P :P
    Think I will go with fert on Monday.
    Neighbor at urea beside me here.
    On third milking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Farm cover 550 reseeded ground 950, had cows out later due to building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

I feel like I'm kinda gate-crashing this thread a small bit ;)

But I have a Q and I think ye might be the lads to help me.

What would the DMD of good spring grass be now?
    I have my few in-lamb ewes on a good field of grass, and I don't want to over feed em. So just wondering what the feed value in good grass is.

Thanks.

Px1ki8.jpg
    Came across a quadrant I cut 2 wks ago this morning.
    Good growth for a old ley

Px1ki8.jpg
    Came across a quadrant I cut 2 wks ago this morning.
    Good growth for a old ley

You'll need to cut it again soon or it will be gone too strong! Zero grazing at a small scale :p

• Advertisement

Timmaay wrote: »
    You'll need to cut it again soon or it will be gone too strong! Zero grazing at a small scale :p

It'll be grazed sprayed off and reseeded if I let dad have his way ha

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭C4d78

I feel like I'm kinda gate-crashing this thread a small bit ;)

But I have a Q and I think ye might be the lads to help me.

What would the DMD of good spring grass be now?
    I have my few in-lamb ewes on a good field of grass, and I don't want to over feed em. So just wondering what the feed value in good grass is.

Thanks.

Approx mid 80's DMD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

whats the soil temp like now?

whelan2 wrote: »
    whats the soil temp like now?

5.5-6.5 here yesterday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Cow Porter

Fine line between starvation and 'hungry' imo. I can't work on an empty stomach lol

• Advertisement

Cow Porter wrote: »
    Fine line between starvation and 'hungry' imo. I can't work on an empty stomach lol

Do you need to eat between going to bed and having breakfast?! From what I read that's all he's advocating

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Cow Porter

just do it wrote: »
    Do you need to eat between going to bed and having breakfast?! From what I read that's all he's advocating

The advice in the article is good, just saying I'd rather not have cows starving. Ok they need an appetite to manage the grass but it's a balancing act, have to feed the cow too. Saw cows standing at a gap yesterday from 2pm. - Fair enough busy time etc. Passed another place and he was after bringing them in to buffer before milking. This is covered in the article saying cows still need to be fully fed in the day.

Cow Porter wrote: »
    The advice in the article is good, just saying I'd rather not have cows starving. Ok they need an appetite to manage the grass but it's a balancing act, have to feed the cow too. Saw cows standing at a gap yesterday from 2pm. - Fair enough busy time etc. Passed another place and he was after bringing them in to buffer before milking. This is covered in the article saying cows still need to be fully fed in the day.

Our cows are at the gap at 2.30 every day let in stand in yard milked at 4 back out but for some reason never at gap in morning, I think their trying it on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

A few Kerry figures...

AFC 921, Demand 26, Growth 5, PGY 1000 Meal 2kgs.

Last years total 14.28t DM/ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Our cows are at the gap at 2.30 every day let in stand in yard milked at 4 back out but for some reason never at gap in morning, I think their trying it on?
    they must be reading agriland:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement