Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grass measuring 2015

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Grass starting to move now. Finally.
    Farm cover 522
    C/C 370
    GR 12
    D 15
    Sr 1.41 :D
    first 3 paddocks grazed have cover around 500.

Any one thinking going with 2nd round of N yet?

Reseed is a gooden. 20kgs of growth on it already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Grass starting to move now. Finally.
    Farm cover 522
    C/C 370
    GR 12
    D 15
    Sr 1.41 :D
    first 3 paddocks grazed have cover around 500.

Any one thinking going with 2nd round of N yet?

Reseed is a gooden. 20kgs of growth on it already

First bag of urea out 3 weeks tomorrow,all paddocks grazed have also got 2500 gallons slurry .2 bags per acre of 18 6 12 going out at endnof week on milk block and also first split of fertliser on early silage ground.this got 3 k gallons slurry in jan followed by bag of urea was then grazed and now getting 3 bags 18 6 12 and topped up with bag of asn .target cutting date 10 May or earlier

mahoney_j wrote: »
    First bag of urea out 3 weeks tomorrow,all paddocks grazed have also got 2500 gallons slurry .2 bags per acre of 18 6 12 going out at endnof week on milk block and also first split of fertliser on early silage ground.this got 3 k gallons slurry in jan followed by bag of urea was then grazed and now getting 3 bags 18 6 12 and topped up with bag of asn .target cutting date 10 May or earlier
    Still have some 15-10-10 left in yard will use that up and go with pasture sward next few rounds.
    need to get fert put on hybrid /Italian too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Heifer ground, later land will get urea tomorrow. 3*10-10-20 on all index 1, already has bag urea. All grazed ground will get 2*18-6-12 this week.

Not as up to date with slurry. All silage ground has got 4000 gls in 2 hits and 1 bag urea but only half grazed ground has got slurry. Too busy calving and rain held up play. This ground will get slurry after next graze.

Winter calves out last Wed and first group of spring calves out tomorrow still on OAD milk replacer. Won't need a story Sat night. Discussion group coming on Thurs just to liven things up

Heifer ground, later land will get urea tomorrow. 3*10-10-20 on all index 1, already has bag urea. All grazed ground will get 2*18-6-12 this week.

Not as up to date with slurry. All silage ground has got 4000 gls in 2 hits and 1 bag urea but only half grazed ground has got slurry. Too busy calving and rain held up play. This ground will get slurry after next graze.

Winter calves out last Wed and first group of spring calves out tomorrow still on OAD milk replacer. Won't need a story Sat night. Discussion group coming on Thurs just to liven things up
    You've lots if p and k out any way. Lads on my own DG were a bit fathomed as to why I had my p and k out so early.

Some heat it that sun there now. cows under house today. All lying down since 10 am

You've lots if p and k out any way. Lads on my own DG were a bit fathomed as to why I had my p and k out so early.

Some heat it that sun there now. cows under house today. All lying down since 10 am

Lying down since 10 am ,they stuffed with silage??,how's clean out.bring mine in for 3 o click every day for a nibble at wholecrop and wraps and milk at 4.30 then off again .shed door open every night if they want to come back but for last few nights there out till I round them up in am.

Lying down since 10 am ,they stuffed with silage??,how's clean out.bring mine in for 3 o click every day for a nibble at wholecrop and wraps and milk at 4.30 then off again .shed door open every night if they want to come back but for last few nights there out till I round them up in am.

Stuffed with grass.
    I have them on 24 hr break. We're back in field by 8.30. We'll see what clean is like when I go for them in an hour

I'm Not doing my superlevy situation any good or my bulk tank situation 😀

Stuffed with grass.
    I have them on 24 hr break. We're back in field by 8.30. We'll see what clean is like when I go for them in an hour

I'm Not doing my superlevy situation any good or my bulk tank situation 😀

No levy to worry bout here for another 10/12 days so I'm full tilt,loads of cows bulling too which is most pleasing

No levy to worry bout here for another 10/12 days so I'm full tilt,loads of cows bulling too which is most pleasing

Yeah noticed that too. Nice too see. cows in serious nick here. Well set up for the yr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Jaysus lads ye.d sicken us with ye'r early ground, couldn't travel some ground here with spinner and cows have been out 2 days in the last 10. Serious rain here last night and with more on Mon due we.d need days of drying to get out again. We'd have ye in a drought tho...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Milked out wrote: »
    Jaysus lads ye.d sicken us with ye'r early ground, couldn't travel some ground here with spinner and cows have been out 2 days in the last 10. Serious rain here last night and with more on Mon due we.d need days of drying to get out again. We'd have ye in a drought tho...
    ye was going to let cows back out tomorrow, but weather forecast is brutal, great drying here today

Serious wind Friday and yesterday here dried place out something unreal,dust blowing off the roads .about 4 mm of rain last night and by 11 this am you'd hardly notice it rained at all.some country for variation in weather!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Serious wind Friday and yesterday here dried place out something unreal,dust blowing off the roads .about 4 mm of rain last night and by 11 this am you'd hardly notice it rained at all.some country for variation in weather!!

Had to put on some factor this evening getting the cows. Got a little bit of muck on the flip-flops going in the gap... Oh well .. could be worse. Hopefully it will be better tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Variation in this country is insane. Year to date here- fert out=0, cattle out=0, slurry on grazing platform=0. %grazed=3%(a few cows for 4 days in mid feb, nothing since, and they did a nice bit of damage then!) chance of going out for the nxt few days after last nights deluge=0. Conclusion=time to lower expectations, stop reading this and looking at Twitter and just plan for longer winter every yr, with any grazing done before St Patrick's day considered a bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

I take it the early silage ground is closed and won't be grazed again?

• Advertisement

4CFybm.jpg

Farm for sale in the west. Willing to do straight swap for equivalent farm in East. I know the drought can be severe but I'm willing to carry that cross.

just do it wrote: »

Closed after grazing 10 days ago,got another 2 k gallons slurry(got 3 k in jan) and 2*18 6 12 endnof week and bag of asn early April

Closed after grazing 10 days ago,got another 2 k gallons slurry(got 3 k in jan) and 2*18 6 12 endnof week and bag of asn early April

Soil temp 8° at 6 am
    going with 2 bags of 15 10 10 today on all recently reseeded ground trying to convince oul boy to use urea for rest.
    no bite yet

Afc 620
    Gr 14
    Per cow 260

Aim to be above 180/cow April 1
    60% grazed in heavy covers 2000 now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

went down the paddocks there , surprised how dry they are, hope to get cows back out tomorrow or the next day.

Afc 620
    Gr 14
    Per cow 260

Aim to be above 180/cow April 1
    60% grazed in heavy covers 2000 now

My cover per cow is higher than yours but afc lower
    have you alot of heavy covers?

whelan2 wrote: »
    went down the paddocks there , surprised how dry they are, hope to get cows back out tomorrow or the next day.

Had a cow down this morning so sent the rest out for a few hours on drier field given the mood I was in, a bit of poaching done but manageable I hope. supposed to be wet from 2nite til thurs nite I think then we are in for a dry spell so they say anyways

This is reseed we did last yr. Grazed a month now. Grew 33/day last week.
    Farm or this please

Soil 8c here after milking :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭trixi2011

done a grass walk today and we have lost cover on a lot of our heaver paddocks bit of a sickner. only grew 5 last week and running out of dry paddocks so hopefully the weather dries up a bit soon

whelan2 wrote: »

YOu get much grazing in so far this spring?

This is reseed we did last yr. Grazed a month now. Grew 33/day last week.
    Farm or this please
    Looking good GG. Similar here with a reseed that was getting heavy (hazard a guess at 1500-2000) and got it grazed in Feb. It still open and SR wasn't especially high so didn't get skinned. However still learning and getting the balance between scratching vs poaching is coming with experience. Happy with outcome - grazing has done it good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

My cover per cow is higher than yours but afc lower
    have you alot of heavy covers?

Only variable that can explain that is the SR, yours is obv lower than frazzes.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Only variable that can explain that is the SR, yours is obv lower than frazzes.

Frazz is going to drop me down a few cows to sort that problem

• Advertisement

Frazz is going to drop me down a few cows to sort that problem

I'll drop down the 40 I've got on OAD, pain in the hole

I'll help you out, drop them down on March 30th and I'll present you with no bill :cool:

That'll get the locals talking :D

That'll get the locals talking :D

They are talking anyway, too wrecked to give a shyte

Bought new grass clippers this morning.
    same one grass tech are selling but 50e cheaper.
    I fcuked the one I had into the ditch last week. Heap of dung maybe the neighbour will find it and he might start measuring too

Bought new grass clippers this morning.
    same one grass tech are selling but 50e cheaper.
    I fcuked the one I had into the ditch last week. Heap of dung maybe the neighbour will find it and he might start measuring too

Online? You have a link?

Online? You have a link?

Got it off eBay ill get link off laptop later

https://twitter.com/pennytimmer/status/576575731729215488

This would be the job around here at the moment

https://twitter.com/pennytimmer/status/576575731729215488

This would be the job around here at the moment

If we could get the cows to hover as well we'd be laughing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Growth is shyte Atm.
    Walked Crimson Clover that should be ready to cut at end of the month. Extended by 2 weeks now.

Dawggone wrote: »
    Growth is shyte Atm.
    Walked Crimson Clover that should be ready to cut at end of the month. Extended by 2 weeks now.

How high should it be?

How high should it be?

Top of wellie by now and above knee by end of month.
    I can see why you guys don't like clover in swards...won't get going until temps are well up.

Dawggone wrote: »
    Top of wellie by now and above knee by end of month.
    I can see why you guys don't like clover in swards...won't get going until temps are well up.

DG member has a 16t field of clover /grass just pure clover and not a pick on it yet.
    he's tempted to spray it with Ali and stitch in

DG member has a 16t field of clover /grass just pure clover and not a pick on it yet.
    he's tempted to spray it with Ali and stitch in

Sometimes clover can take over the sward...

My reason for not liking clover is our weather ,also don't like how it takes over a sward ,prone to docks and can be very hard to preserve ascaage.saying that the field I put into Italian/Crimson last year was very impressive and left real top notch silage.no way I'd like to be grazing it though very open sward and wouldn't take nicely to any poaching

• Advertisement

My reason for not liking clover is our weather ,also don't like how it takes over a sward ,prone to docks and can be very hard to preserve ascaage.saying that the field I put into Italian/Crimson last year was very impressive and left real top notch silage.no way I'd like to be grazing it though very open sward and wouldn't take nicely to any poaching

I had ideas of sowing some hybrid for grazing this yr but not now.
    when cows went off it onto normal prg grass milk went up.
    Saying that there's a cover of 600 on it now and grazed 24 days

I had ideas of sowing some hybrid for grazing this yr but not now.
    when cows went off it onto normal prg grass milk went up.
    Saying that there's a cover of 600 on it now and grazed 24 days

Can't understand ur logic for hybrids/Italians for grazing gg.there too hard control during main season,not conjusive to grazing early or late in year due to been very open and high risk of poaching/damaging ground .also only lasts a few years.much better off putting in normal perennial ryegrass sward and feeding it with n p k and lime.

Can't understand ur logic for hybrids/Italians for grazing gg.there too hard control during main season,not conjusive to grazing early or late in year due to been very open and high risk of poaching/damaging ground .also only lasts a few years.much better off putting in normal perennial ryegrass sward and feeding it with n p k and lime.
    Grow more grass mj.
    shogun yielded 30t in a commercial farm in nz

Unless a savage burst of growth comes this week I doubt I'll have much more than 1000 on first paddocks for first round.
    May do cover tomorrow

What's target afc for now

Unless a savage burst of growth comes this week I doubt I'll have much more than 1000 on first paddocks for first round.
    May do cover tomorrow

What's target afc for now

GG
    I think you hope agrinet last year. How're you finding it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement