Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grass measuring 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

keep going wrote: »
    Grass is coming down to the wire now ,2 kgs ration,3kg beet finishing tues, average per cow 150 ish and first rotation finishing tuesday.need 45 a day to stay going at 2 kg, I thi nk ill get it but dont want to go lower

Surprised that ur only finishing ur first round on tues with a farm as dry as urs. Had u the brakes on for the last few wks or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Surprised that ur only finishing ur first round on tues with a farm as dry as urs. Had u the brakes on for the last few wks or what?
    Had the brakes because I had to, wind from the sea makes an awful difference to growth here and I grazed acfew paddocks with cows after drying off in november and just lets say imwont be doing that again . original ly the beet was meant to be fed in autumn, lucky I had it for spring as growth was slow enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Farm cover 911
    cover per cow 346
    gr 52
    d 37
    every single paddock is above the line.
    Think we will spray off 8 ac this week after its grazed to reseed
    either lock up another field for silage or keep going as we are and take paddocks all summer and get real quality bales

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Farm cover 911
    cover per cow 346
    gr 52
    d 37
    every single paddock is above the line.
    Think we will spray off 8 ac this week after its grazed to reseed
    either lock up another field for silage or keep going as we are and take paddocks all summer and get real quality bales

Any suggestions?
    you could always spray it out before you graze it and you would get a better kill

trixi2011 wrote: »
    you could always spray it out before you graze it and you would get a better kill

Had that battle already. Spray before silage is as far as dad will agree to doing

would you ever think of buying in a batch of maiden heifers to push up stocking rate ?

trixi2011 wrote: »
    would you ever think of buying in a batch of maiden heifers to push up stocking rate ?

Would if we had the spare cash :D
    Ah next yr it will be well up.
    40 to join the herd hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

Grass motering on nicely now, GR of 67 for past 7 days

Will have to start thinking about taking out a few paddocks soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

ellewood wrote: »
    Grass motering on nicely now, GR of 67 for past 7 days

Will have to start thinking about taking out a few paddocks soon

I think I should have skipped the one they're on atm. Going to do a walk shortly. Probably have to take out a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I think I should have skipped the one they're on atm. Going to do a walk shortly. Probably have to take out a few.

Opposite here, took too much out and GRs weren't as good as expected, CC down to 180 and farm cover 560, too many paddocks 6-800. Not going to react too much yet, other than bump up the buffer of maize (which needs to be used up anyways), and budget out the area alittle. Nitrogen too late going out also, I've this argument with my dad every year ha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Afc 765
    Sr 4.4
    Per cow 173
    Gr 76
    D 70

Things moving along nicely ,no buffer going in.feeding average of 5.5 kg in parlour.30.8 Ltrs 4.09 fat 3.46 p scc 66 urea 32.2.4 kg solids.demand is high ,gr is very good hopefully it stays that way

Had planned to measure after dinner but some egit has been messing with the natural spring coming down from mountain that runs through the heifer farm and has fcuked it up.
    50 head of stock with no water for a day

Three paddocks coming out. Covers too heavy. Might tighten things a bit but plenty of wholecrop if I go too far. Utilisation on todays paddock poor. Might have to top it when mower on. Don't want much of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

@ what cover/cow or Kg/Hec do most cut at to keep from getting out of control?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭degetme

Three paddocks coming out. Covers too heavy. Might tighten things a bit but plenty of wholecrop if I go too far. Utilisation on todays paddock poor. Might have to top it when mower on. Don't want much of that.

Will you bale these paddocks soon? Will there still be N in the grass?

degetme wrote: »
    Will you bale these paddocks soon? Will there still be N in the grass?

Tedding/wilting covers like this is easy enough. N not such an issue with higher dm.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭solwhit12

A drop of rain would be welcome around here the place is rock.

solwhit12 wrote: »

Agh jaysus wondering how long that'd take

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

solwhit12 wrote: »
    :D

I was spreading on saturday and the place was rock hard but every so often you would hit a wet spot and sink a bit.

I'm not concerned yet but could use a drop by the weekend or growth will slow a bit too much with all stock out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Agh jaysus wondering how long that'd take

Says he who this day last week spoke of biblical rainfall.
    No rain here then or since and a rawish east wind blowing strong all week .

Had another look this morning. Not mowing this week. Some of the last stopped silage ground still at relatively low covers so if pressure comes on we'll graze some of them. Strong paddocks I was going to take out now regarded as stopped for main crop. Contractor booked for 11th of May. SR on grazing block of 4.2 if late stopped ground not counted.

Says he who this day last week spoke of biblical rainfall.
    No rain here then or since and a rawish east wind blowing strong all week .

Ye'd go to your ankles in the dusty spots.

East wind killed here last 3 days
    farm cover 889
    cover per Lu 274
    sr 3.24
    d 48
    gr 37
    going to spray off 6 ac now to reseed
    have one paddock at 1800 but pure leaf so tempted to graze it
    spreading N every week now on what has been geazed

East wind killed here last 3 days
    farm cover 889
    cover per Lu 274
    sr 3.24
    d 48
    gr 37
    going to spray off 6 ac now to reseed
    have one paddock at 1800 but pure leaf so tempted to graze it
    spreading N every week now on what has been geazed

Based on what happened here over the weekend I'd skip it gg. Paddock here was pure leaf also, green to the butt. Yields were fine but clean out was crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Based on what happened here over the weekend I'd skip it gg. Paddock here was pure leaf also, green to the butt. Yields were fine but clean out was crap.

Grazing similar covers with a 12 hour strip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Timmaay wrote: »
    Opposite here, took too much out and GRs weren't as good as expected, CC down to 180 and farm cover 560, too many paddocks 6-800.

Did another measure today (only 5days after the last, I didn't realize I'd measured that close together), anyways 5more cows on the system so demand up abit, however CC up to 214 and farm cover 748, GR 90. Amazing how quick everything turns around! Highest cover only 1200 but quite afew around 900 which will very quickly push everything crazy. Where are the most of yous aiming to have your CC at at the minute?

td5man wrote: »
    Grazing similar covers with a 12 hour strip.

Are they clearing out well? Probably should have done the same over the weekend but they're on 36 hour breaks and very contented. If they went back to twelve hour they'd be looking for a move every time they saw you.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Did another measure today (only 5days after the last, I didn't realize I'd measured that close together), anyways 5more cows on the system so demand up abit, however CC up to 214 and farm cover 748, GR 90. Amazing how quick everything turns around! Highest cover only 1200 but quite afew around 900 which will very quickly push everything crazy. Where are the most of yous aiming to have your CC at at the minute?

I'm told you can run cc to 180 and farm cover to 500 in high growth rates

I'm told you can run cc to 180 and farm cover to 500 in high growth rates

Could drop it to 130/150 through rapid growth .150/160 I'd be comfortable with though.il measure weekly and also walk paddocks once during week .depending on growth/weather you could go from feast to famine and back again unless you watch things closely and react .if wedge shows surplus the big thing is get it out bale it and back in rotation rather than leaving it a bit to bulk up which is where a lot fall down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Are they clearing out well? Probably should have done the same over the weekend but they're on 36 hour breaks and very contented. If they went back to twelve hour they'd be looking for a move every time they saw you.

Good cleanout ,cows contented plan b was run some heifers behind cows .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭visatorro

would you pre-mow freedom? paddock mine are on at the minute there not going to clean out. I only have a topper dunno whether it's worth going over it. what would be an acceptable drop in meal going into heavy covers? say 4kg down to one just for the one heavy cover, or would it make any short term difference

visatorro wrote: »
    would you pre-mow freedom? paddock mine are on at the minute there not going to clean out. I only have a topper dunno whether it's worth going over it. what would be an acceptable drop in meal going into heavy covers? say 4kg down to one just for the one heavy cover, or would it make any short term difference

Haven't premowed since the nineties, gave it up as a bad job. Cows get lazy. One of those things that's hard to stop doing once you start.

td5man wrote: »
    Good cleanout ,cows contented plan b was run some heifers behind cows .

Plan b never has good results always hammers regrowth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Afc 849
    Growth 76
    St rate 3.64
    Per cow 233

Looks like bales coming out soon

Third round starting here Sunday,things slightly tight grass wise but comfortable and manageable.place has rarely got a better peeling by cows on first and second round ,farm set up very nicely for rest of year.even got first crop of bales of Italian wrapped up this evening .5 bales per acre of really nice dry looking stuff,cut Monday ,turned ,again Tuesday and before dinner today.second cut befor end of may

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭Robson99

.second cut befor end of may
    What type and volume of fertiliser will you give this now mahoney?

Robson99 wrote: »
    What type and volume of fertiliser will you give this now mahoney?

2500 gallons watery slurry and bag of pasture sward per acre

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭Robson99

2500 gallons watery slurry and bag of pasture sward per acre

Would there be enough nitrogen in that to get a decent crop?
    Had Italian here a couple of years ago. Used to get 3 cuts per annum.
    Thinking of putting in some hybrid with red clover in one of the next reseeds. Any experience with it?

Robson99 wrote: »
    Would there be enough nitrogen in that to get a decent crop?
    Had Italian here a couple of years ago. Used to get 3 cuts per annum.
    Thinking of putting in some hybrid with red clover in one of the next reseeds. Any experience with it?

Will only be growing 4/5 weeks so there will be loads.aim is for quality leaf not stem and poor quality.stiched in red clover to this and it will come through in next cut.no experience of hybrids.this plot will be only ever cut for silage and z grazed.no way I'd like to be grazing it,sward is very open and would be very hard to manage through peak growth

Third round starting here Sunday,things slightly tight grass wise but comfortable and manageable.place has rarely got a better peeling by cows on first and second round ,farm set up very nicely for rest of year.even got first crop of bales of Italian wrapped up this evening .5 bales per acre of really nice dry looking stuff,cut Monday ,turned ,again Tuesday and before dinner today.second cut befor end of may
    Should be starting my third round on Sunday. Won't make it.

Need more cows !!!

• Advertisement

Should be starting my third round on Sunday. Won't make it.

Need more cows !!!

Should of released mower and baler gg,looks like opportunities will be limited next week.growth rates should still be high with rain forecast and heat is in ground even with temps dropping .grass could end up getting strong and less than ideal for grazing

Should of released mower and baler gg,looks like opportunities will be limited next week.growth rates should still be high with rain forecast and heat is in ground even with temps dropping .grass could end up getting strong and less than ideal for grazing

Yeah East wind killed us last week. Would have baled last paddock only it has bad ruts in it would destroy the mower.
    next one at 1600 is wettest paddock in place. Bone dry now but has ruts from spreading N earlier on

A rolling sorts them out.
    rain will really drive things on here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Last week had average cover of 2232kgDM per ha (732 available). Growth rate of 43kg DM per day. Bit mad last month of milking worrying about running into winter with too much grass! Still can't figure out why the farm owner is still applying urea and we'll be starting to transition onto fodder beet come next week, caught them applying urea and mowing for silage on the same day lol. SI NZ

Baled four paddocks here yesterday. Six bales per acre. Would have liked to get it drier but rain was falling as the baler was finishing. Heavier crop than any I baled last year. Paddocks already greening up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Bought a new gizmo, digital plate meter,using AgriNet soft ware. Did the second measure on Thurs last and results are,

Growth 72
    Demand 63
    Cover/lu 270

Looks like a couple of paddocks will have to come out, even though demand will increase when the maiden heifers finish their own paddocks in the next week and will have to stay at home to finish AI and calves will steal a paddock or two from the cows.

Mower yoked up here for when ever weather settles.
    6 ac of 2k cover to knock.
    Farm cover 1014
    cover per cow 304
    gr 74
    sr 3.8
    D 52

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Mehaffey1 wrote: »
    Last week had average cover of 2232kgDM per ha (732 available). Growth rate of 43kg DM per day. Bit mad last month of milking worrying about running into winter with too much grass! Still can't figure out why the farm owner is still applying urea and we'll be starting to transition onto fodder beet come next week, caught them applying urea and mowing for silage on the same day lol. SI NZ
    What price is urea over there? Maybe it's a lot cheaper than here:)

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »

Urea is the cheapest N available here also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

blue5000 wrote: »

Its cheap but can't be that cheap as we get haulage companies in to spread it with feet trucks.

Lost two cows to what must be autumn bloat, nightmare of a thing

• Advertisement

Mehaffey1 wrote: »
    Its cheap but can't be that cheap as we get haulage companies in to spread it with feet trucks.

Lost two cows to what must be autumn bloat, nightmare of a thing

I'd say there not far off the ball spreading urea at the end of April over there used spread well into late May if soil temps allowed. You won't be long eating into that cover in May as days get shorter growth slows very quickly over there

Advertisement