Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC2 6th Jan 8pm 'Six puppies and me'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Sitting here with my dog staring and intrigued by the dogs on the screen.

Does she know their on a telly or what does she think when she sees them on telly!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

The first thing I think of in most of these clips is IT'S A PUPPY! If the puppy wasn't doing half these things it wouldn't be a puppy. Peoples expectations are a bit mad...

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Quelle surprise they didn't put any thought into the breed, just wanted a dog 'of that size that would run around and play'....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Bakers! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Aw the labradoodle is so good at her training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Jess is the image of Alli when she was that age, but at least Alli sits and comes back when she's called thankfully!

I suppose it's just a coincidence that Stanley and his humans seem to be doing the best.....

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    I suppose it's just a coincidence that Stanley and his humans seem to be doing the best.....

Yes it is - not everyone who buys a dog is a complete idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

tk123 wrote: »
    Bakers! :rolleyes:

I knew someone was going to pick up that one!
    Those 2 gay guys are going to make for Interesting viewing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Had it recorded so just watching it now. Why the hell would your reasoning for getting a dog be for kids to experience death?! She's annoying me already.

• Advertisement

Yes it is - not everyone who buys a dog is a complete idiot.

I didn't say everyone who buys a dog is a complete idiot, jeez!!

I didn't say everyone who buys a dog is a complete idiot, jeez!!

Apologies - I thought you were implying they were doing best because he was a rescue dog?

That show just baffled me! Who goes and collects a pup...then leaves it to it's own devices for 3 HOURS! ...And what pup is awake for 3 hours at a time? I don't think Lucy's ever been awake for 3 hours straight :pac::pac:

Byron owner needs her head checked out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Oh my God this show is entertaining and irritating in equal measure. The woman that bought the dog for her son who has zero interest in him is the worst of all in my opinion. How her children made it this far I don't know because she doesn't believe in supervision of any kind and that poor dog is lost.

Byron's owner, well she is just a very uptight person all around and had unrealistic expectations and no understanding of puppies. She is highly irritating, but I think she might get there.

Imagine being the breeder who sold one or two of these dogs, seeing all your hard work undone before your eyes.

sadie06 wrote: »
    Imagine being the breeder who sold one or two of these dogs, seeing all your hard work undone before your eyes.

The weim especially since he was toilet trained by the breeder and then left to go all over the house because they weren't bothered taking him out.

The positive for that show is that it's confirmed to me that I did everything right with Lucy lol! :pac:

sadie06 wrote: »
    Oh my God this show is entertaining and irritating in equal measure. The woman that bought the dog for her son who has zero interest in him is the worst of all in my opinion. How her children made it this far I don't know because she doesn't believe in supervision of any kind and that poor dog is lost.

Byron's owner, well she is just a very uptight person all around and had unrealistic expectations and no understanding of puppies. She is highly irritating, but I think she might get there.

I think if I was the breeder of Byron, after watching that and hearing that woman saying something along the lines of 'if he doesn't shape up he's not long for this world', plus the fact she's using that air thing in his face, I'd be on the phone asking for him back asap! Maybe in tonights update she will have turned a corner and it will all be alright.....

I think if I was the breeder of Byron, after watching that and hearing that woman saying something along the lines of 'if he doesn't shape up he's not long for this world', plus the fact she's using that air thing in his face, I'd be on the phone asking for him back asap! Maybe in tonights update she will have turned a corner and it will all be alright.....

If it was a standard breed I'd agree or even an accidental litter or somebody fostering and rehoming...but you have to wonder about the intentions of breeders farming out these crosses? Would they care? The first thing I thought of was Lucy's breeder and how she'd react - she turned people away because she didn't think they'd make good owners.

What annoyed me most when when she said "if he doesn't get his act together" :rolleyes::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Rottie x giant breed getting neutered at 5 months. Not a word about the health implications. :-(

Rottie x giant breed getting neutered at 5 months. Not a word about the health implications. :-(

Everyone on a FB group I'm in is saying the same thing. Glad I didn't watch it this evening - keeping my stress levels down :pac:

I would say it's just because of the rescue policy that he's being done that young. Shame though that they didn't highlight what could happen.
    I'm so used to seeing neutering surgeries I didn't even blink an eye at all that, my brother made me change the channel till it was over :D

• Advertisement

my brother made me change the channel till it was over :D

Hehe look out for a repeat of the repeat of Googlebox that was on last night to shock him - they were watching a show with Ben Fogle (sp?) where he was at a sheep farm where they were removing the b@lls... by mouth! :eek:

EDIT - Skip to 35mins in - i won't embed as viewer discretion is advised lol! :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1PA07YA4TI&spfreload=10

I think I'll save that one til he's annoying me :P

I want to take Byron off that woman and give him to someone who really appreciates having a dog. The poor pup, I feel so sorry for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I only seen bits of this tonight but I can say I turn away a lot of people for puppies or to use my males. People doing no research at all on their chosen breeds. I had one person recently ask me for a bitch so it could keep their other small dog company running loose all day & that their other dog always comes home eventually.

Another who had 4 previous terriers all come to tragic ends at very young ages. I'm very fussy!

Between the alerts from here and FB I ended up turning it on! :p

I preferred tonights show myself

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭minipink

I watched this, as did Lola - riveted from start to finish both nights in front of the tv was my little golden ball of fluff! And as I watched, I thought, jeez I didn't do too badly when raising my little fur baby and even better when I took on a large breed foster pup last year. My heart was broken by the Byron situation especially at the end when she said she 'sort of loved him in a way' and when he was left crying at the gate when she went on holidays. It has also made me broody for a puppy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

minipink wrote: »
    I watched this, as did Lola - riveted from start to finish both nights in front of the tv was my little golden ball of fluff! And as I watched, I thought, jeez I didn't do too badly when raising my little fur baby and even better when I took on a large breed foster pup last year. My heart was broken by the Byron situation especially at the end when she said she 'sort of loved him in a way' and when he was left crying at the gate when she went on holidays. It has also made me broody for a puppy!

Internet analysis how-are-ye but she seems to have significant general emotional difficulties which are recognised by her mother and husband. I think she has a bond with the dog but doesn't have the same bond with herself. Hopefully she'll watch the program and get some counselling.

Dog ownership isn't all Enid Blyton, is it George?

Nope!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

I'm only watching it now and I'm absolutely irritated by byrons owner! First of all saying he isn't important enough to be considered a family member and then saying she doesn't love him because he's a dog! I don't see byron lasting long with that family at all, shame because he's a gorgeous little guy and with the right training he'd be a perfect pet.

And wow so happy for Lola and her owner! I thought she'd have her work cut out for her, puts me to shame that my dogs can't do that stuff :P

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/6428614

Exactly what I was saying today when this came up at lunch - they should have had somebody on who had a clue to balance things out!

I lol'd reading it remembering the pup mouthing the chicken lol! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/6428614

Exactly what I was saying today when this came up at lunch - they should have had somebody on who had a clue to balance things out!

I'm glad we're not the only ones to be annoyed by this show... I was pretty surprised and annoyed at the BBC as they're usually very good on documentaries and dog welfare... I was really hoping this show would act as an education tool, and use it to guide people who have pups or intend to get one. But no... I don't believe an intending puppy owner learned anything particularly useful from it.
    The people who seemed to do the best in the end were the people who asked for help from good professionals... The Weimaraner owners got their trainer in a couple of times, the girl with the Doodle got the Assistance Dogs puppy trainer in to help her. What did Byron's owner do? Asked a pet shop assistant and got a pet corrector? In fairness, she was also woefully poorly advised by her vet. But I think Byron has a lot of sympathy from a lot of people who watched the show with jaws slowly dropping to the floor :(

Advertisement