Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC2 6th Jan 8pm 'Six puppies and me'

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭ihatewinter

I have 2 sheep dogs here and what annoyed me the most was the young lad and Jess. Half choking the poor dog to sit. :mad: Especially when his father trains dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

The father was calling the dog 'it' and said at one stage "if it's no good we'll just get another one" and do who knows what with poor Jess, people and keep him give farmers a bad name!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

that should read 'people like him give farmers a bad name' stupid phone

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

SingItOut wrote: »
    I'm only watching it now and I'm absolutely irritated by byrons owner! First of all saying he isn't important enough to be considered a family member and then saying she doesn't love him because he's a dog!
    Well obviously she can't love him- he's only a dog, like. :rolleyes:
    That woman really bugged me. Why get a dog so your children can 'experience death'??! And her little girl screaming "Ugh, get the dog off me!!" Nice to see a love of animals rubbing off from her mother!

She kept talking about having Byron put to sleep. "If this continues, he'll be put to sleep." "If he bites someone, he'll have to be put down." "He's getting better so we won't have to have him put to sleep... ... yet."
    And when the dog was going to stay with a family member when they were going on holiday she told her child that he was going to the Big Kennel in the Sky. Is that supposed to be funny!? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I think Byron will be fine! She is an uptight person who struggles to express emotion, but I feel she really does love the dog, she just can't say it. Her actions contradicted her words in the second programme. She was rubbing him lots, walking him lots and talking about his anxiety levels. Her own husband says she dotes on him, and he should know!

Not everyone in life has a fluffy, warm personality.

Stuey's owners ended up being the most infuriating for me. The dog was an over indulged prop for them and they had put zero effort into training him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

From a FB BARF group I'm a member of (Lots of Weim owners/breeders so they had a special interest lol)

"6 Puppies controversy!
    Turns out people I know know the lad training the collie in this programme. Whilst I have heard hideous horror stories of the show which are clearly evidenced, there is certainly a bit of structuring to the reality. Apparently the lad was shown trying to put his dog into a sit whilst pulling the lead up. The programme makers told him to do that so they could show progress because he wasn't doing anything wrong. His dad has trained working collies for years but the son was, apparently, too good to be entertaining!"

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭ihatewinter

Absolutely terrible if what TK123 says is true. Shame on the BBC, they had a good platform to educate and guide the general public on dog training and what owning a dog entails. :mad:

Instead it was basically a circus to entertain people. Stupid really. I'll take back what I said of the young lad and Jess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

This programme had me shouting at the telly more than once

But one of my big bug bearers was why was there no proper mutt on it.? I know whether crossed with a poodle is still a mutt regardless of what tag you put on it but where were the wee scruffy terrier, Harvey, type dogs. While on Im on the subject of cross what is the reasoning, if any, between breeding vizslas to weirmaraners. I can only think that it would be done to get a great gun dog but this wasn't the purpose in this case.

I also think, as suggested above, the programme was edited to show how awful it can be. I mean why if your dog runs off on you would you keep letting it off the lead or let the pup out at the same time as the hens when the dog chase them. im glad the part where the lad was teaching the collie to sit was staged and I couldn't figure how the son of champion shepard hasn't picked up on how to teach 'sit'.

While the lady with the beagle/poodle x said some odd things eg. teaching children to experience death I do feel some sympathy to her. She was having problems and went for advice to her vet and then went to puppy classes where she got the advice re the pet corrector. So to be fair she knew she needed, help and went to find it. Unfortunately she just didn't go to the best place. Its been commented on here before that puppy classes are great when run correctly but can be a disaster when not.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

sadie06 wrote: »
    Not everyone in life has a fluffy, warm personality.
    True! I know I don't! :pac:
    I just don't get someone who's sense of humour are saying things like 'going to the great kennel in the sky' or who gets a dog so her children can 'experience a death.' Just seems a bit weird to me. But that's just my opinion, of course.

I'm sure it was heavily edited to make her look like a heartless cow, though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Posy wrote: »
    True! I know I don't! :pac:
    I just don't get someone who's sense of humour are saying things like 'going to the great kennel in the sky' or who gets a dog so her children can 'experience a death.' Just seems a bit weird to me. But that's just my opinion, of course.

I'm sure it was heavily edited to make her look like a heartless cow, though!

What do people expect? It's TV.

To be honest I'm more annoyed at people's condescending attitude towards Byron's owner. The dog was clearly well cared for and happy. Not everyone is a fluffy happy Pollyanna type.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

What do people expect? It's TV.

To be honest I'm more annoyed at people's condescending attitude towards Byron's owner. The dog was clearly well cared for and happy. Not everyone is a fluffy happy Pollyanna type.

So it's ok to be an absolute disaster with training your dog, using aversive correction methods & speak of getting rid of the dog (due to her own failures) and not be the subject of critical discussion? The fact that posters are saying she has trouble with emotional interaction is that they are trying to excuse her abysmal interaction with the dog.

Advertisement