Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiring a Car - Hassle

Options
  • 01-01-2015 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

Is there much stress/hassle in an oap hiring a car, my last car was 15yr old.

1. Computer warnings/advice being given.

2. Insurance: How does this work.

3. Precheck. Do I need to check everything works, take pic's of bodywork etc in case I'm accused of causing damage later.

4. Petrol. How does this work, when collecting and dropping back.

Only need it for half a day.

Prices seem around €40 for day. Does this cover everything.

Sorry I haven't a clue about all this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭saintchrisburg

2) There's a minimum level of insurance already on the car when you hire it (3rd party liability), but they will offer you to pay a bit extra to have extra insurance coverage (e.g. in case you cause damage to the car). It's usually not that much extra, and I'd say if it gives you a bit of peace of mind, go for it. Some credit cards also provide extended coverage if you use the card to hire a car.

3) The agency does a pre-check and will have a checklist that they use. When you hand the car back over, they do another check (depending on the size of the agency, may be using the checklist from earlier, this way they can notice differences). You may have one agent when you pick up the car, and another when you drop off - particularly true with larger agencies. That can work to your advantage or disadvantage. For that reason, it doesn't hurt to take your own photos before driving off, just in case.

4) The agent will mark down roughly how much petrol is in the tank. You should bring the car back with the same amount of petrol in the tank, otherwise the agency will charge you. Coming back with extra doesn't do anything for you, so do be stingy when refuelling.

Price will be quoted as e.g. 40/day, but keep in mind that they will charge you a hefty (albeit refundable) deposit. I've paid up to 250 euros deposit once. Keep in mind you normally are required to pay using a card, no cash accepted (not at any place I've ever used, anyway).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I work in car rental :)
    danjo-xx wrote: »
    Is there much stress/hassle in an oap hiring a car, my last car was 15yr old.

1. Computer warnings/advice being given.

Not sure what you mean by part 1? Some companies have restrictions on max age of rental.
    2. Insurance: How does this work.

Depends on rental company and the car. Car is insured but you're excess is very high. Over 1k usually. Payable in the event of any damage to the rental including windscreen & tyres.

You can reduce it down to a much lower amount by purchasing excess protection - most folk do.
    3. Precheck. Do I need to check everything works, take pic's of bodywork etc in case I'm accused of causing damage later.

Depends on the company. Some look at it with you and mark damage going out and coming in onto the contract you get.
    4. Petrol. How does this work, when collecting and dropping back.

Usual bring it back the same way you got it at.
    Only need it for half a day.

Charged on 24hr basis usually.
    Prices seem around €40 for day. Does this cover everything.

Sorry I haven't a clue about all this.

Basic cover only at that price :)

Some companies will pick you up and drop you back home, some don't.

They all tend to take deposits on top of pricing and insurance, credit card and full drivers license is a must! Most don't take cash or debit card.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

that's excellent thanks lads.

Advertisement