Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York

Options
  • 01-01-2015 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭

I'm planning to go to New York next Xmas for a week with my wife. I'm looking at hotels and flights and all seems to total up to around 3k. Is this crazy money or am I just looking in the wrong places. I'm looking for maybe 4 star accomadation. Any advice or reccomendations welcome.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Maybe you could get it a little cheaper but 3k doesn't sound outrageous for 7 nights. Christmas is a peak time in NY, plus NY is notoriously expensive anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    Maybe you could get it a little cheaper but 3k doesn't sound outrageous for 7 nights. Christmas is a peak time in NY, plus NY is notoriously expensive anyway.

Thanks for the reply. Is there much difference between 3 and 4 star hotels? As in price and quality

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

Seems a little pricey to me.

Stayed in NY myself this Christmas for 2 nights (before Christmas) on my way home to Ireland. I booked around October and checked hotel prices a few times subsequent to that. I noticed that in the last week before Christmas, the prices came down quite a lot. Of course, if you leave it that late, you risk them being sold out, but I was surprised at the availability.

If it was up to me, I'd leave it a few months yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Is there much difference between 3 and 4 star hotels? As in price and quality

Yes, 3 star can range from nice to ok to dodgy. I never go below 4 in the US

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

Would you be better to wait until you are inside the 330 day window and you can compare booking flights separately on Aerlingus?

At the minute you can only book a flight on Airlingus as long as it's returned by to Ireland by November 27th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

I would suggest sign up to a site that keeps track of hotel prices for no.

cena wrote: »
    I would suggest sign up to a site that keeps track of hotel prices for no.

Any reccomendations for such as site? Is it cheaper to book flights now for next December or is there a way of tracking hotel prices too?

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

Dtp1979 wrote:
    Any reccomendations for such as site? Is it cheaper to book flights now for next December or is there a way of tracking hotel prices too?

kayak.ie for hotels and flights. Skyscanner for flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Try American Holidays.

We used airbnb in October for four of us. We got an apartment on 2nd and 2nd for 1300 for five nights. Check the website, i'm sure there are one beds for cheaper, if you aren't caught up on staying in a hotel.

Make sure to choose somewhere with a very high rating and a place that has had a number of guest reviews.

There are a few threads on here about it also, ad i was enquiring before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I was there with my girlfriend plus 2 others in December. We used Air BnB. We got an apartment in Astoria, Queens (20 minute subway ride to Midtown) for 8 nights for €1000 between the 4 of us, so €250 each. I believe short term lets are not legal in NYC but unless someone reports you I think you would be ok. Just don't annoy the neighbours!

Myself and my girlfriend also visited NYC in 2013 and stayed 7 nights in a Manhattan hotel at a cost of €1400. Even if we didn't have 2 others to share accommodation costs with in December we still would have saved €400 by using Air BnB.

• Advertisement

How much typically for December flights for 7 day return. I'm getting prices around 450ish. Is this cheap or expensive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

How much typically for December flights for 7 day return. I'm getting prices around 450ish. Is this cheap or expensive?

That is good - but I'll say what I say to everyone looking for "cheap" fares.

Settle on a fare you're willing to pay...and pay it. Waiting can sometimes be worth it...or not.

Personally 450ish is great and I doubt you'll get too much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

We paid €490 in December 2014.

That is good - but I'll say what I say to everyone looking for "cheap" fares.

Settle on a fare you're willing to pay...and pay it. Waiting can sometimes be worth it...or not.

Personally 450ish is great and I doubt you'll get too much better.

I should add that we're bringing a 1 year old. The prices I got were air France but had no option to add a child to the price. Are babies extra?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

I should add that we're bringing a 1 year old. The prices I got were air France but had no option to add a child to the price. Are babies extra?

http://www.airfrance.ie/IE/en/common/guidevoyageur/assistance/voyager_enfants.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Katie97123

That sounds about right! Try sky scanner for cheapest flights and watch them over a few weeks as prices fluctuate! New York is increbibly expensive anyway! You would want alot of spending money especially around christmas time, and you should try to avoid eating in tourist areas such as Times Square etc.. If I was you I would wait abit! Also you will probably get cheaper hotels further outside the city, which isn't a problem as the subway gives you quick access to everyplace anyway!

We paid €490 in December 2014.

Who did you fly with? Is that per person? I just realised my price was only departure. Very misleading

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Grayce23

I'm heading to NYC for paddys week soon and I booked my flights in july/agust time and got them for €447 return! Then they had a sale on in September but they actually were more expensive then what I paid! Aerlingus are good as it includes your bag for 30kg as well! I know there's a tour operator on abbey street in dublin thats very good for deals! My parents always book through them and they can show you exactly what the hotel looks like. If you decide to book it on your own, deffo go on to trip advisor and look at the customer reviews and photos of the hotel to get an idea! I know my brother stayed in one of the Yotels I think they're called out near the airport and he loved it cause you really wont be spending that much time in it!

At the end of the day New York will always be expensive to go to but I've found a few ways to make the expense of being there cheaper!

Get a citypass book from the website! It's $114 and covers pretty much all the big tourist places including the 9/11 museum and the ferry to the staute of Liberty!

At Christmas go ice skating in Bryant Park cause it's free you only have to pay for ice skate rental

Get the 7 day unlimited metro card for $30 as the subway costs about $2.50 every time you use it so it really cuts down on the cost!

Also highly recommend that when getting into taxis, especially from the airport, ask for a receipt because they can be notorious for scamming people into fares of $150+

For shopping deffo visit the outlets! They're about an hour on a bus and there's loads out there!

And if you plan on going to any Broadway plays get your tickets when you're there! There's apps and websites that you can get them off in NY and also the ticket booths! Try the one in Brooklyon instead of Times Square as it's not as busy!

Can't really help with accommodation as I'm staying with a friend, but these are just a few bits of advice I have for keeping the cost down while you're there!

Enjoy! :)

Advertisement