Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eurovision Song Contest 2015

1102103104105106108»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

There should be other present more current singers as judges to help choose people who are more current that have been in the industry or who already are.

Exactly, the only thing Linda Martin ever did was sing someone elses song to win the eurovision, now she's RTÉ's lifelong eurovision expert in chief.

Louis Walsh sells post pubescent boys to pre pubescent girls (admittedly he's made his millions from it and good luck to him for it).

I don't know who would be better placed to judge the song/singer, but I know there are better than the above 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Unfortunately that spat that Linda Martin was involved in with Billy McGuinness has probably secured her a spot on the panel for the next few years at least. RTE will replay that every year and she'll be able to dine off it for a good while. And if it wasn't her involved they'd just turn to Dana probably.

I just can't see anything changing, sadly. RTE are run by grey-haired oul' codgers who are out of touch. I wonder would it be possible for TV3 to gain the rights to the Eurosong or do RTE have it tied up?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Unfortunately that spat that Linda Martin was involved in with Billy McGuinness has probably secured her a spot on the panel for the next few years at least. RTE will replay that every year and she'll be able to dine off it for a good while. And if it wasn't her involved they'd just turn to Dana probably.

I just can't see anything changing, sadly. RTE are run by grey-haired oul' codgers who are out of touch. I wonder would it be possible for TV3 to gain the rights to the Eurosong or do RTE have it tied up?

I think only national broadcasters who are members of the European Broadcasting Union can be involved in the selection process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

In fairness, RTE can and do a lot of good things. But in general, that does not include music or chatshows where a certain closed shop clique develops.

ONE of the main problems is that RTE has no serious domestic rivals. TV3 has not taken on much or either has UTV Ireland.

RTE should learn from past mistakes and revolutionise its chatshows and music like it has done its dramas (I hope RTE do not forget to give us Love/Hate season 6 btw) and then we would be getting places. But chatshows and music do not seem to be on the cards for being revolutionised yet.

Repeatedly ranting about LW, Tubs, MD et al isn't going to change anything.

Just sayin'.

:o:);)

Unfortunately, it won't change anything but if enough people wrote to RTE about the unashamed promotion it gives to these very average acts, things might change. Perhaps talk to our politicians about the poor state of music and its promotion too. Especially in the run up to a general election.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Unfortunately, it won't change anything but if enough people wrote to RTE about the unashamed promotion it gives to these very average acts, things might change. Perhaps talk to our politicians about the poor state of music and its promotion too. Especially in the run up to a general election.

Ah come on now! I like the Eurovision just as much as the next person but General Election will clearly be fought, and won, on other issues....and rightly so!

Wilberto wrote: »
    Ah come on now! I like the Eurovision just as much as the next person but General Election will clearly be fought, and won, on other issues....and rightly so!

Yes, the election will be fought and won on many issues. One of which is unemployment. The promotion and privilege given to poor music acts is leaving other music acts poor financially and unemployed. Plus look what could be done with the obscene money Tubridy, et al get? An issue that seems trivial is not so trivial at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

I think only national broadcasters who are members of the European Broadcasting Union can be involved in the selection process.

And TV3 isn't a member of the EBU.

But TG4 is - hence its participation in this year's Junior Eurovision. :);)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

And TV3 isn't a member of the EBU.

But TG4 is - hence its participation in this year's Junior Eurovision. :);)

That would be excellent if they were to push for it (not that they'd ever get it because RTE would never let it go.

Imagine though, TG4 could try and make drastic changes, while at the same time promoting out native tongue to far more people than normal. Talk about a win win situation for everyone involved (well, apart from RTE, but I never liked them anyway! :pac: :pac:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

Nadia Forde wants to do Eurovision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

236d4e180397967497ef9eee00870bee17aedd289b0485f92ac0bf61309c34b8.jpg

dogcat wrote: »

Now why am I thinking of Katie Price...? :o:o:o:o;)

Because Nadia Forde ain't just nobody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The catering? Fair play to her, it's a big gig to take on!!

Or she wants to 'do' Eurovision? I presume 'do' the national judges to help Ireland's cause!!

Aye, send her on over to Sweden next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭CFlat

I wonder while she's doing Eurovision can I do her?

Menage et douze points, so to speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

Only 261000 watched semi funal 2 in ireland. This has to be a wake up call to RTE

Wilberto wrote: »
    That would be excellent if they were to push for it (not that they'd ever get it because RTE would never let it go.

Imagine though, TG4 could try and make drastic changes, while at the same time promoting out native tongue to far more people than normal. Talk about a win win situation for everyone involved (well, apart from RTE, but I never liked them anyway! :pac: :pac:)

Only problem is that it we would end up having Glor Tire as our Eurovision selector! ... Yikes!

Only problem is that it we would end up having Glor Tire as our Eurovision selector! ... Yikes!

Not necessarily... TG4 is making a different show for selecting the song it's going to send to Sofia in November. :);)

http://www.tg4.ie/en/programmes/junior-eurovision-2015.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,598 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Just imagine though if Russia had won!

All those possible homer sexuals descending on Moscow!

Vladimir-Putin-007.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

^ Would have been interesting to see how it all would have went down. Obviously I was disappointed Russia lost, but perhaps having a Eurovision in Russia is not what anyone needs right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

^ Would have been interesting to see how it all would have went down. Obviously I was disappointed Russia lost, but perhaps having a Eurovision in Russia is not what anyone needs right now.

Tbh I'd say we'd have one since no-one else would have turned up :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,598 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I knew they'd be back once they got in. I don't mind though. I liked their entry this year.

I'm in two minds about it to be honest. I mean, it just feels like Eurovision is jumping the shark. Where will it stop? China have expressed an interest, so will they be allowed in too? I dunno.

Sietse Batter has said that China is simply broadcasting the contest, they will not join.

The main thing that bothers me about Australia is that A) You have to be a full member of the EBU to join - Australia is only an associate and B) You have to be within a certain border of the EBU (that's how the likes of Israel can participate). Australia is not in either. The EBU should work to get more countries within the EBU to return (Turkey, Croatia) or debut (Kazakhstan, Liechtenstein) first.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If it keeps Oz from being assimilated by the culture of the US I'm all for it.

Sietse Batter has said that China is simply broadcasting the contest, they will not join.

The main thing that bothers me about Australia is that A) You have to be a full member of the EBU to join - Australia is only an associate and B) You have to be within a certain border of the EBU (that's how the likes of Israel can participate). Australia is not in either. The EBU should work to get more countries within the EBU to return (Turkey, Croatia) or debut (Kazakhstan, Liechtenstein) first.

The most unusual countries so far to have participated are Australia, Israel and Morocco. I can see in the near future all these ex Soviet Central Asian countries join it along with Iran, India, Pakistan, etc. and eventually Iraq, Syria and Afghanistan too. It will be all part of the integration process for these countries shortly after the defeat of ISIS, etc.

China will join too along with South Korea, Japan, the US, Canada, etc. Should be renamed the Worldvision by then!

The most unusual countries so far to have participated are Australia, Israel and Morocco. I can see in the near future all these ex Soviet Central Asian countries join it along with Iran, India, Pakistan, etc. and eventually Iraq, Syria and Afghanistan too. It will be all part of the integration process for these countries shortly after the defeat of ISIS, etc.

China will join too along with South Korea, Japan, the US, Canada, etc. Should be renamed the Worldvision by then!

You've stated this many times before, and as was said to you previously, this will quite obviously never happen.

You've stated this many times before, and as was said to you previously, this will quite obviously never happen.

One cannot say never happen. A few short years ago, Russia and the like were thought impossible to be in it. Things change, countries change, the Eurovision itself changes.

As well as expansion, I also predict that some of the traditional participants may opt out some years too. We already see this trend happening too. Perhaps Ireland should opt out for a year and think about a strategy to get us back on track?

Anyway, we'll have our first song of 2016 in less than five weeks. Time to start the new thread? :pac:

• Advertisement

I wonder who will represent Ireland this year? My guess: someone unknown who will get not much support. Who will win it? Not Ireland is the prediction. Maybe France or Spain are due a win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Anyway, we'll have our first song of 2016 in less than five weeks. Time to start the new thread? :pac:

You started the 2015 thread :) Do you want to start the 2016 one?! :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement