Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eurovision Song Contest 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

Armenia 4.67

Not the worst, nice idea but not a winner, probably will qualify, it doesnt have either a dramatic nor "A minor" impact which makes it very flat as a song

Melody - 4.5
    Song - 4.5
    Impression - 5.0

Average - 4.67 /10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

By far the best standard of songs for a very long time. Still can't pick my 5. It will all depend on the live versions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

T0001 wrote: »
    Armenia 4.67

Not the worst, nice idea but not a winner, probably will qualify, it doesnt have either a dramatic nor "A minor" impact which makes it very flat as a song

Melody - 4.5
    Song - 4.5
    Impression - 5.0

Average - 4.67 /10

This is a level of commitment that I can not match. :D and I love Eurovision.

Tbf I don't listen to the songs until the night, to see how they hit me.

Albania - Decent enough effort but not instant enough to make an impact. Doesn't really get going until the final minute. A solid live performance should see it scrape through the semis though. 5/10

Armenia - Nice idea in theory, total mess in reality. Sounds like six completely different songs patched together. Could be a disaster live, although Armenia usually do well even with mediocre songs so I wouldn't rule out it qualifying. 3/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Na, cant say this is great either, May be a bit better live but
    3/10 for me. Tad generic

• Advertisement

Belarus - Ugh, no. "Time is like thunder"? Fook off. Last year's Cheesecake song was much better than this. Can't see it getting out of the semis. 2/10

Belarus 4.00

Not too bad for the first minute or so bu it peters out and becomes very lifeless afterwards. The high pitch coming through in the vocas could be the studio effect but its very annoying and takes away the limited appeal of the song. Has some dignity to it but shouldn't qualify although disporia may get it through.

Melody - 4.0
    Song - 3.5
    Impression - 4.5

Average - 4.00 /10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Albania - Decent enough effort but not instant enough to make an impact. Doesn't really get going until the final minute. A solid live performance should see it scrape through the semis though. 5/10

Armenia - Nice idea in theory, total mess in reality. Sounds like six completely different songs patched together. Could be a disaster live, although Armenia usually do well even with mediocre songs so I wouldn't rule out it qualifying. 3/10

Hmm, 2 East European countries that have yet to win it. I am predicting Armenia to win it at some stage.

Hmm, 2 East European countries that have yet to win it. I am predicting Armenia to win it at some stage.
    today is not that day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Armenia - Can't stand this song. They think they have come up with a great concept throwing all these people into the mix but it reminds me of the old saying about too many cooks spoiling the broth. 3/10

Belarus - I think this song is very likeable. Yes the guy is a pain but this song is not about him; it's all about the violin - and the violin delivers. I think with a strong stage performance this could qualify and I hope it does. 7/10

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Romania and Bulgaria are also yet to win it. :o:);)

Romania are definitely due a win at some point. Don't think this'll be their year though; their song is nice but doesn't have the "oomph" factor required to win.

Still think Sweden are the ones to beat, and Estonia and Italy are the other favourites if you believe the bookies. So it's unlikely that there'll be a "new" winner this year. Of all those who are yet to win, Slovenia and Georgia would be the two dark horses to watch this time around imo, though I don't think either will win it outright.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Amik

bpb101 wrote: »
    50/1 to win it

The Albanian song is leading the WiwiBloggs poll by a wide margin:

http://wiwibloggs.com/2015/04/11/poll-who-will-win-eurovision-2015-update-1/90857/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

Amik wrote: »
    This song is leading the WiwiBloggs poll. I'm thinking Albania has good hackers or something though, as last year Aram MP3 led the poll + bookies. Never understood why.

http://wiwibloggs.com/2015/04/11/poll-who-will-win-eurovision-2015-update-1/90857/
    Because both songs are goods songs..

dull 3/10

2/10

Alex Saint from our Irish EuroSong is better than this.

Belgium is a fantastic song. In my Top 6. 9/10

2/10

Alex Saint from our Irish EuroSong is better than this.
    ah here, lets not say things we cant take back

Belgium 2.50

Very laboured song with very little appeal to it really. Suited to a niche audience, but one that is not strong enough in terms of votes to give it an anyway reputable standing

Melody - 2.5
    Song - 2.5
    Impression - 2.5

Average - 2.50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭MelanieC

Belgium 2.50

Very laboured song with very little appeal to it really. Suited to a niche audience, but one that is not strong enough in terms of votes to give it an anyway reputable standing

Melody - 2.5
    Song - 2.5
    Impression - 2.5

Average - 2.50

I agree. I think the song is ok,interesting but not universal enough to be a winner.
    Out of the four so far,my favourite is actually Armenia but we haven't come to any genuine contenders yet imo.

• Advertisement

MelanieC wrote: »
    I agree. I think the song is ok,interesting but not universal enough to be a winner.
    Out of the four so far,my favourite is actually Armenia but we haven't come to any genuine contenders yet imo.

Ya i have to agree, Armenia is the best so far but as you say, we still have the likes of Sweden, Estonia, Finland, Italy to come yet, also I think Ireland will fare well with juries given the songs construction

I think Belgium will do well but I'm not a fan. 6/10

Predicted finish: Around the top 10 mark

Belgium - This one's a grower, as well as one of the more contemporary efforts this year. Will stand out in the semi final, assuming he can perform it well enough live. Lyrically they could've come up with something better than "rap ap ap" though! 6/10

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

The Albanian song is leading the WiwiBloggs poll by a wide margin:

I wouldn't pay much attention to that poll at all, hilariously rigged :)

I would pay much attention to that poll at all, hilariously rigged :)
    Lies. It is not rigged at all....
    Just because songs may not work with your opinion, doesn't mean they're rigged...

dogcat wrote: »
    Lies. It is not rigged at all....
    Just because songs may not work with your opinion, doesn't mean they're rigged...

... I find it slightly difficult to believe that a song that has zero chance of winning the competition is a unanimous favourite amongst the fans of the biggest Eurovision fansite. This happens pretty much every year on Wiwbloggs. This year it's Albania and Georgia, last year it was Armenia.

I know a lot of yous have heard all the song like myself , But does anybody else feel like discussion a song a day, starting with semi final 1 and moving up through the list, keep things interesting

Great idea! I haven't listened to a lot of the songs in about 2/3 weeks now so I'll be doing so with fresh ears, so to speak :pac:

Albania: Good song, but not very immediate. That being said I think it will qualify, but mainly thanks to the juries. I don't see it getting much public love at all, bar the Balkan countries.

Armenia: Well, it's still terrible :D Should get a lot of love from the large Armenian diaspora across Europe, although the new voting system utilised in the last two years neutralises this a lot. The message behind the song will mean nothing to people who aren't Armenian, and otherwise comes across as a disjointed, shouty mess. That being said, they'll still have allies in Russia, Georgia and Belarus to vote for them, so they should make it to the finals. Personally I'd love them not to qualify though.

Belarus: Actually a lot better than I remember! If they emulate the egg-timer theme from the video onstage then I think it could across quite well. It's still not that great a song, but I'm not ruling them out qualifying now.

Belgium: Unsure about this. Really not sure which way it'll go. It's different, but it's not really that catchy is it? Right now I'm calling them a qualifier, but that could change. How it's presented will be interesting.

And for today we are discussing Denmark! Nice cheery song, but I think it's the kinda song that will be generally liked but ultimately overlooked. I'm predicting qualification, but will be bottom right-hand side in the final.

I wouldn't pay much attention to that poll at all, hilariously rigged :)

LOL Some great Albanian hackers at work. :P

underrated at 80/1 but a common theme
    i like it . 7/10

LOL Some great Albanian hackers at work.

we were top last year at 30% of the vote. Yeah , your one last year couldnt sing

• Advertisement

underrated at 80/1 but a common theme
    i like it . 7/10

Not bad, but it's missing something. I'd give it 5/10.

I have a bit of a grudge against Denmark as they didn't send Hotel A. I completely forgot how this Anti Social Media tune went, but I still hum Cecilie's tune regularily.

Denmark 8.00

Very entertaining song, definitely underrated at 80/1, its a contender for Top 10 imo but not a winner. It's very upbeat and catchy but the lyrics are repetitive which got a little annoying after a while. It lacks a centre point so it has nothing to build to which makes it flat overall. Certainly a song I would download for my iPod.

Melody - 8.5
    Song - 7.5
    Impression - 8.0

Average - 8.00

I find Denmark very ordinary and uninspiring. 5/10

Predicted finish: lower half of final.

na, they picked the better choice

I dont think denmark will win but it anti social media will come higher than this one have

Denmark - Meh. Scandinavian McFly. Though it's not as bad as the Bruno Mars rip-off they sent last year. 4/10
    ... I find it slightly difficult to believe that a song that has zero chance of winning the competition is a unanimous favourite amongst the fans of the biggest Eurovision fansite. This happens pretty much every year on Wiwbloggs. This year it's Albania and Georgia, last year it was Armenia Ireland.

FYP! :p

Denmark - Meh. Scandinavian McFly. Though it's not as bad as the Bruno Mars rip-off they sent last year. 4/10

FYP! :p

This is the most recent of last years polls that I could find, but it clearly shows Armenia well out in front. Ireland were second though.
    http://wiwibloggs.com/2014/04/19/will-win-eurovision-2014-update-2/47064/

Either way, I think it can safely be assumed that the Wiwibloggs poll is out of touch and can clearly be ignored.

• Advertisement

This is the most recent of last years polls that I could find, but it clearly shows Armenia well out in front. Ireland were second though.

Either way, I think it can safely be assumed that the Wiwibloggs poll is out of touch and can clearly be ignored.
    another pole they did put ireland on the front foot by a large margin
    http://wiwibloggs.com/2014/03/21/poll-win-eurovision-2014/43728/

Yeah but Armenia were a favourite last year with the bookies as well. They actually had a chance of winning it outright. Ireland, however, had zero chance; couldn't even get out of the semi!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭MelanieC

I quite like the Danish song but as has been said,it's missing something. It needs a big key-change moment or something to give it direction. I expected to love it as I love that style but I would give it 6/10.

Yeah but Armenia were a favourite last year with the bookies as well.

Not sure how the bookies set their odds but I'm sure they rely on polls like the ones posted here. Or maybe they do have a Eurovision expert on staff or as a consultant? Great job! :)

I've already placed a few bets in the 100/1 range. It's a close race and I wouldn't be surprised if someone from that group currently wins.

• Advertisement

So for a bit of fun, lets have a poll to see who is currently topping the vote in Ireland!

http://tummiweb.com/scorewiz/rsvp/115786/LzGm7

You can vote through the above link ^^ I'll leave the voting open until the SUnday before the Eurovision week. Have Fun!!

Current results can be seen here
    http://tummiweb.com/scorewiz/scorebo...--ireland-poll

So for a bit of fun, lets have a poll to see who is currently topping the vote in Ireland!

http://tummiweb.com/scorewiz/rsvp/115786/LzGm7

You can vote through the above link ^^ I'll leave the voting open until the SUnday before the Eurovision week. Have Fun!!

Current results can be seen here
    http://tummiweb.com/scorewiz/scorebo...--ireland-poll
    yeah , i already made a mistake

Currently the third favourite to win with William Hill bookmakers, Estonia have garnered a lot of positive feedback and are one of the most fancied songs of this year's contest.

Personally I was not keen on this song initially but I have grown to like it and I think it will do very well. It will certainly qualify for the final; whether or not it can challenge for the win will depend on whether the vocal performance delivers, and I think that's still open to debate. I do think the song stands out well from the rest of the pack though. 8/10

Predicted finish: 2nd.

I do think the song stands out well from the rest of the pack though. 8/10

Predicted finish: 2nd.

I've liked this one from the start but am worried they'll get the "They're trying to be the Common Linnets" treatment (Lithuania may be guilty of that, too).

7/10 and 3rd place finish.

Estonia 9.33

Toe-tapingly great. One of my personal favourites this year. It's going to be a Top 3 whether or not it can win will come down to how well it can be staged. It may be difficult to get the theme displayed on stage without it looking clichéd or childish. It has a great melody the best this year it just needs a bigger focus point than it has and it would be fantastic.

Melody - 10.0
    Song - 9.0
    Impression - 9.0

Average - 9.33

It may be difficult to get the theme displayed on stage without it looking clichéd or childish.

Even this simple staging is effective:

Getting a crush on Elina! :))

Iceland are having issues which has raised questions about whether they'll compete or not. From the BBC:
    Iceland's participation in the Eurovision Song Contest could be in doubt because of an ongoing legal strike, it's reported.

Notaries who work at the Reykjavik District Commissioner's office have traditionally overseen and verified the voting process of Iceland's professional Eurovision jury. But they're currently on strike along with other legal professionals over a wage dispute, and there's no sign of it ending anytime soon, the Morgunbladid website reports. "Pro­tracted strike ac­tion could jeop­ar­dise Ice­land's Eu­ro­vi­sion par­tic­i­pa­tion," the Ice­landic As­so­ci­a­tion of Aca­d­emics, an umbrella group for a number of unions, says on its website. That's left Iceland's Eurovision team looking for a plan B, but one member tells Morgunbladid they're exploring other options and are confident of being able to participate in the contest in May.

Iceland has already voted to send Maria Olafsdottir to Vienna with the song Unbroken. The country has never won Eurovision, finishing second on two occasions, and twice ending up in last place. While Icelanders might be concerned about Eurovision, they're feeling the effect of the strike in other areas too. A number of services are being disrupted, including property sales and divorce hearings, the Visir news website reports.

They are in semi-final 2, same one as Ireland.

7/10 for estonia
    like it - top5 finish

(thanks for posting the video , was super busy today and out of web for a lot of it)

i think preforming may be a concern , seeing the second video there, doesn't looks great on stage

Even this simple staging is effective:

Getting a crush on Elina! :))

I would have them back to back on their own on a dimly lit stage and turning around to correspond with the final chorus

i think preforming may be a concern , seeing the second video there, doesn't looks great on stage

I think we can expect something more like this. Love the shots where she's standing behind him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement