Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eurovision Song Contest 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Gutted for Ireland that was a great song.
    Rooting for Australia, Russia ,Norway or Sweden to win now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

ebbsy wrote: »
    Well Marty, if they did a great job they would be in the final.

The Polish one couldn't sing and she got through. Ireland did a hell of a lot better than she did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

RTE have to stop using the Late Late Show audience to pick the song.

Totally wrong demographic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

The only good thing about us not qualifying is that it annoys Marty Whelan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Less popular than Israel, something gone massively wrong there.

Above ,

A bad sign if Israel take you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

That song needed to be belted out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Only 6/10 this time, quite disappointed that Switzerland and Iceland didn't make it, but knock-off Elvis Costello from Cyprus and the old weirdo from Montenegro did. Otherwise, don't really care. Ireland really didn't deserve better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Girl in wheel chair gets through no swiss no hot stuff for Saturday night balls
    Hmmms wife and wives all around the world shouldn't be allowed to vote:(

Maybe Molly singing behind a piano affected it her not connecting to the audiences as much because of it maybe next year.

• Advertisement

I didn't really like the Irish song when I first heard it but the more I listened to it the more I liked it. The problem wasn't that it was a bad song. It was just a grower. And she was nervous tonight and it wasn't her best performance. And she went second in a ballad heavy semi-final. Lots of things went against her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

We have them Johnny Logan and this is how they repay us. You wouldn't have a world Cup without Brazil, this is an outrage etc...

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Wouldn't it be better if we took a few years out and went back to the drawing board instead of entering nobodies from the Late Late Show every year.

As I said earlier on, we have so many talented musicians in this country, why do we keep entering nobodies with mediocre songs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The whole thing is such a farce.

5 countries prequalified because they give the most cash?

Bit of a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

The bookies are right. We sent the wrong song to Eurovision. We should have sent Kat Mahon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Yoghurt87

murpho999 wrote: »
    RTE have to stop using the Late Late Show audience to pick the song.

Totally wrong demographic.

I reckon it'll go to Ray Darcy's new show for next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

hmmm wrote: »
    We sent a pretentious dirge of a song. No-one wants to feel miserable watching the Eurovision.

The thing that has been making me miserable is the pair on BBC3 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Jpmarn wrote: »
    The bookies are right. We sent the wrong song to Eurovision. We should have sent Kat Mahon.

Haha imagine, if Molly put people to sleep then Kat would have put them in a coma :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

The whole thing is such a farce.

5 countries prequalified because they give the most cash?

Bit of a joke.

Well that rules us out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

LOL. Now the outrage will begin (for a few days until we forget about it until next year).

The song wasn't good enough to get through. End of story.

If people want a song that has a chance then RTE are the ones to lobby as they facilitate the terrible process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

See you on the big night everyone, it's been fun :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,599 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Commisserations to Molly :(

See ye Saturday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭superfurry1

Its the likes of Linda martin and rte bum club that has picked terrible songs and singers for the last 10 years just need to clear the dead wood

Yoghurt87 wrote: »
    I reckon it'll go to Ray Darcy's new show for next year.

Oh god I hope not. Can we not outsource it to Channel 4? Channel 4 is cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

Shocked at those results.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭FamousSeamus

Up beat happy dance songs (mostly) do very well and qualify, so we send a slow song that wouldn't get ya out of the chair! Maybe we don't want to win it, sure didn't father ted say it, its too expensive to host :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

The song was dreary and monotonous. No bit of life to it. Didn't deserve to go through.

Feels like I say this every year, and yet we keep doing it. When we sent Jedward first with their happy clappy dancy song we did reasonably well, yet didn't learn the lesson and returned to our archetype of depressing ballads.

Glad it didn't get through, now we won't have to suffer the humiliation of getting no votes on Saturday and can just enjoy the final fully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Night everyone, it's been fun, as usual. See you Saturday night. I'll get in the Fanta and Lincoln creams :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Big kitschy ****e learning curve for the Aussies over the next few years.
    You've never seen The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert have you ?

or Muriel's Wedding or Strictly Ballroom ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

nullzero wrote: »
    We have them Johnny Logan and this is how they repay us. You wouldn't have a world Cup without Brazil, this is an outrage etc...

I think that Irish need to forget that we think we are good at the Eurovision.

Like Brazil at world cup in a way

i thought Erika Selin should've been chosen for eurovision.
    At least Molly's song was a great song it could be worse the UK song...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭sonic85

theres some poor poor songs there that got through - whatever about molly (I thought there was a slight chance she would scrape through because the standard was pretty average) Switzerland Iceland and possibly Portugal (eye candy and the song was ok) should've got the nod.

not much of a competition or a spectacle this year

oh and we need more boob in the final to make it some way interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

Hooked wrote: »
    744B2B8F-BD2A-43A9-A872-D46CBAC94EE1_zpswgcvwmyw.jpg

Pretty much sums up our problems with the eurovision to date!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

If Sweden win the contest, as the bookies believe, then they will become 6-time winners - one behind Ireland's record of 7.

And since the Swedes take this so seriously, it's only a matter of time before they equal Ireland's record and then surpass it.

Perhaps a win for Sweden will force RTE to make more of an effort?

Ah who am I kidding...

• Registered Users Posts: 18 miss charity

Sterling no match for the Euro.
    It was a rubbish song that was never going to go anywhere and until the grey suits in RTE open up the competition to all the really great and talented song writers and singers in Ireland and not just the few "chosen " ones, chosen behind the scenes that is, then Ireland will never
    stand a chance of getting through to Eurovision again never mind winning it. We need to get back to having a National song contest, like we had before. It's become a closed shop, there only for the chosen few

Can't believe Switzerland & Iceland didn't get through.
    How did Lithuania get through that was awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Who will the UK vote for now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Jamie OD

Tame Eurovision this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

Keep an eye on Twitter guys as they release the final running order draw in a few hours.

I'm hoping somebody can beat Sweden but they look too strong at the moment. Hope they get a bad draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

If Sweden win the contest, as the bookies believe, then they will become 6-time winners - one behind Ireland's record of 7.

And since the Swedes take this so seriously, it's only a matter of time before they equal Ireland's record and then surpass it.

You're right!
    And if they do, i could see them bringing out the big guns next year.
    Cue ABBA reunion.

• Advertisement

Don't understand people complaining that we didn't get through and others did.

The song this year was very weak and clearly chosen by the wrong people.

Televoting from Late Late Show and critique from the lakes of Linda Martin and Marty Whelan saying "Oh Europe will love that" is not going to cut it.

Needs to be a stand along show and also the method of choosing songs that get to the National Song level needs to change as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

this is the song we should have sent. Hard luck Molly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

As long as Linda Martin is involved in our selection process we'll be fine.

Trust Linda guys, RTÉ know what their at

°°°°°

Perhaps a win for Sweden will force RTE to make more of an effort?

Ah who am I kidding...

You're forgetting that we didn't want to be winning it in the 90's it just kept happening. If the Swedes take it seriously then they probably deserve the record as we took so many of our eurovision wins with the kind of grace a child displays at receiving a jumper at Christmas from an auntie they don't particularly like.

Glazers Out!

We should just send Jedward next year they should be available. They even did better than Blue.
    Don't think Ireland want to win other countries want to win a lot more they spend more effort or have better selection processes.

°°°°°

As long as Linda Martin is involved in our selection process we'll be fine.

Trust Linda guys, RTÉ know what their at

You're right Linda is a top bloke.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

maybe its best she got knocked out tonight, other than get humiliated in the final

agree??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

thelad95 wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be better if we took a few years out and went back to the drawing board instead of entering nobodies from the Late Late Show every year.

As I said earlier on, we have so many talented musicians in this country, why do we keep entering nobodies with mediocre songs?

Bingo. Our songs are not great and the performers are amateur at best. Look at that Swedish guy. His song wasn't great, but he was such a showman and, so at home in front of the camera and on stage. We are never going to win it again, unless we can come up with someone like that.

The song was weak and did not sound like an original. Too similar to other songs. Imagine if we got through and actually won? People would be complaining about the waste of money staging such a contest. Can't win, really.

fryup wrote: »
    maybe its best she got knocked out tonight, other than get humiliated in the final

agree??

No because it means that she's under the humiliation level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

We'll it's been a while since Ireland was any world stage in music. Other than Hozier, real singer songwriters are fairly rare these days, Ireland is going through a fairly bland stage in music history, all we can muster is one fifth of a girl/boy band.
    We're now such small fry in Europe and we've no weight in the Eurasian bits that only a brilliant song well sung is going to have any effect. Jedwards Lipstick was actually quite catchy and might even have done better with real singers.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement