Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eurovision Song Contest 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Brendan Shine is due a go in the Eurovision.
    He excelled with his "Carrot Song" and "Do you Want Your Lobby Washed Down".
    Something like "The Butter Song" or "The Stone Outside My Mothers House" or similar.
    Or Foster And Allen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Brendan Shine is due a go in the Eurovision.
    He excelled with his "Carrot Song" and "Do you Want Your Lobby Washed Down".
    Something like "The Butter Song" or "The Stone Outside My Mothers House" or similar.
    Or Foster And Allen.

That's going back to our puppet show. We shouldn't enter at all if we are going to go the sneering route. An honest effort is never a mistake, but a deliberate joke is shameful

I think the main problem is the way the "in" crowd seem to get their entries into the National Song Contest, each more dreadful than the rest. Billy McGuinness had a point

i didn't particularly like the song but thought it was certainly more 'credible' than anything we've had in the last 10 year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

I think it's a very clever strategy Ireland is playing, let Sweden come close to the record, then BAM Crystal Swing. To close the pincer movement, the battle weary but not defeated JEdward will move into place the following year to crush the opposition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭United Chester Men

[/QUOTE]Eurovision thus far has actually spanned 4 continents! Most countries are in Europe but there are many that are not. Israel is closely aligned to Europe but is officially considered Asia. Morocco is not exactly the country one thinks of when the word 'Africa' is said but it is officially on that continent. They were in it in the late 1970s I think. Russia and Turkey are 2 countries with parts officially in Europe and Asia. Then, what are Azerbaijan, Armenia and Georgia? Harder to tell. Now, we have Australia in it.

Future countries to feature will almost definitely (either very soon or ) include Kazakhstan, Iran, New Zealand, United States, Canada, Lebanon. Iran would have been in it years ago if that revolution did not happen. Other possibilities in the future could be Iraq, Syria, all the North African countries, Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan, all the former USSR central Asian states, India, China, the Gulf states, Pakistan, Japan and South and Central America. A lot depends on regimes and of the success of Australia.

Australia in it may prompt a 'guest appearance' from other continents every year like USA, NZ, Argentina, Brazil, Mexico, Canada, etc. taking turns. But a moderate Middle East and Central Asia could end up in it permanently as it borders it. Future improved relations with the West for places like Iran along with softening of the regimes could well expand the contest East and South. Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and My Lovely Camel anyone!?!?!?!?![/QUOTE]

Where else would anyone consider Morocco to be...............??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Billy McGuinness had a point

What did he say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

i wouldn't be too quick to be calling for a radical change in picking our song for Eurovision. I felt we were on the right track this year. "Break me Up" would've also been a worthy Eurovision entry for us, as was "Playing with Numbers", I still believe. Sometimes it's just bad luck not to qualify for the grand final - bad slot in the running order, stronger semi final & more entries than the other semi (17 songs tonight as opposed to 16 on Tuesday), etc. We weren't the only country to have a very decent song not get through.

Also, unfortunately, Ireland just isn't in vogue with the Euro-fans at the moment. A number of countries could've performed Playing with Numbers the same way tonight and would've qualified.

If we try and keep up the standard of sending quality, contemporary songs from here on in, we will get it right some year.

What did he say?

He said that Louis Walsh was pulling the strings and swaying the vote, the year that he had an entry involved in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Chucken wrote: »
    Serbia to win!!!! :D

Are we going next year?

I sure hope so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

Final running order

http://www.eurovision.tv/page/news?id=running_order_for_grand_final_revealed

1. Slovenia
    2. France
    3. Israel
    4. Estonia
    5. United Kingdom
    6. Armenia
    7. Lithuania
    8. Serbia
    9. Norway
    10. Sweden
    11. Cyprus
    12. Australia
    13. Belgium
    14. Austria
    15. Greece
    16. Montenegro
    17. Germany
    18. Poland
    19. Latvia
    20. Romania
    21. Spain
    22. Hungary
    23. Georgia
    24. Azerbaijan
    25. Russia
    26. Albania
    27. Italy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I think it's a very clever strategy Ireland is playing, let Sweden come close to the record, then BAM Crystal Swing. To close the pincer movement, the battle weary but not defeated JEdward will move into place the following year to crush the opposition.

There's an idea. Crystal Swing with the mother in a leather bikini. Co ah. Get it on already.

EB_2013 wrote: »
    Final running order

1. Slovenia
    2. France
    3. Israel
    4. Estonia
    5. United Kingdom
    6. Armenia
    7. Lithuania
    8. Serbia
    9. Norway
    10. Sweden
    11. Cyprus
    12. Australia
    13. Belgium
    14. Austria
    15. Greece
    16. Montenegro
    17. Germany
    18. Poland
    19. Latvia
    20. Romania
    21. Spain
    22. Hungary
    23. Georgia
    24. Azerbaijan
    25. Russia
    26. Albania
    27. Italy

Well that's Slovenia and Estonia dead and buried then! :o And Italy won't be too happy in last spot.

The draw won't make much difference to Sweden or Australia. I reckon Latvia, Spain, Azerbaijan and Russia will all be pretty pleased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Is it just me or does the Australia singer Guy remind you of Olly Murs his style & dancing and song sounds exactly like something he'd sing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I've a feeling that Australia are going to become a permanent fixture in the competition. Considering that EV is popular in the country it was a nice idea having them as a once off special guest for the 60th anniversary, however I'm not sure about having them every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

Also, unfortunately, Ireland just isn't in vogue with the Euro-fans at the moment. A number of countries could've performed Playing with Numbers the same way tonight and would've qualified.

Every year people come out with stuff like this and it's quite frankly wrong. The best examples are the fact people were coming out with ideas such as Nordics being the new bloc the last couple of years - yet this year Denmark, Iceland and Finland were all DNQ.

Netherlands didn't qualify for roughly 10 years and last year came second with people in their media for years coming out with stuff along the lines of their country not being "en vogue". Latvia qualified tonight for the first time in years (since 2006 afaik). How did they achieve this? They overthrew their national final and made it more contemporary and less "eurovision". The results speak for themselves.

All that's wrong with Ireland's approach is plain to see if we rewatch the late late show national final. It had a half hour section dedicated to an impromptu gameshow where they guessed the lyrics to famous eurovision songs. The songs included British and Irish songs from the 70s as joe from Donna and joe sang along in an emphatic way. It was cringey and old fashioned - completely out of touch with the modern contest. No other country has such a stupid element to their preselection with the host treating the contest in pure contempt - literally every other country other than the uk doesn't have this paradoxical attitude of believing "lol the eurovision is below us" whole simultenously moaning when they don't do well.

Looking forward to the UK bombing on Saturday with their cringey "made for eurovision song" to solidify this.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Phil Mitchell

I'm on Team Australia for the reason that they cannot host it. Its probably the only way we can host our competition back on our shores

Yes. Im bitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Irelands song was ****e.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Finally up to speed. The only real injustice tonight was Poland qualifying. Abysmal song.

Obviously disappointed for Molly, thought she should've qualified based on tonight, but not overly surprised either. Feel really bad for the Czech Republic too, they really won me over tonight. Delighted Latvia qualified though.

The draw for the final is very interesting, Sweden are 10th, which is quite early in a 27 song field. Russia have got a dream draw of 25th, whilst 3rd favourites Italy are closing the show. Slovenia is an odd choice to open the show, whilst Estonia can kiss goodbye any hope of troubling the top 3 being drawn 5th :(

All in all I think it'll be a battle between Sweden and Russia, which I think Russia will win. I hope so, cause it's become my favourite :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I'm on Team Australia for the reason that they cannot host it. Its probably the only way we can host our competition back on our shores

Yes. Im bitter.

Walford?

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Guffy

Wait... Australia?? Typo for Austria and people are just running with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭Sarn

It's true, Australia are now in the Eurovision for some strange reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Couldn't believe it when Switzerland didn't get through, thought it was the best song of the night.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Ally Dick wrote: »
    He said that Louis Walsh was pulling the strings and swaying the vote, the year that he had an entry involved in it

I'll never understand why people were so Anti-Louis Walsh, a man who has utterly made his millions from acts who would be perfect for this competition. It's typical Ireland; we have someone perfect for the job, but rather than trust him to do when he does best...."****ing eejit, the head on him, he's killed the music industry".

Meanwhile, we send our "credible" acts who've never released a song publicly and bomb out, while other countries send a whose who of The Voice, X Factor and X's Got Talent and go sailing through :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I'll never understand why people were so Anti-Louis Walsh, a man who has utterly made his millions from acts who would be perfect for this competition. It's typical Ireland; we have someone perfect for the job, but rather than trust him to do when he does best...."****ing eejit, the head on him, he's killed the music industry".

Meanwhile, we send our "credible" acts who've never released a song publicly and bomb out, while other countries send a whose who of The Voice, X Factor and X's Got Talent and go sailing through :/

but Walsh is involved in the whole process (maybe not this year's song), but he's had his finger in the last 4-5 years of Irish involvement, and how have we fared?

A completely different approach is required.

The truth is RTÉ have absolutely no interest in winning this competition, they just don't have the money to even come close to hosting it (especially now with the 2 semi finals, which we never had to do when we hosted before), most of their money is spent paying massively inflated salaries, so could you imagine Tubs & his ilk having to take a 40-50% pay cut every year we won the thing? No chance.

RTÉ are more than happy with the current arrangement of sending a 3/4 man crew over to cover the event at a relatively low cost, and from it, gaining 7-8 hours of TV to broadcast on a Tues/Thurs/Sat. Giving it the old 'ah, didn't we do well, we should have gone through spiel' once we've bombed out.

I'm telling y'all, we should just send Bono every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭SteM

Sarn wrote: »
    It's true, Australia are now in the Eurovision for some strange reason.

A once off to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the Eurovision according to a report I read earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

You'll never get the right demographic on the Late Late Show but I didn't think the song that was chosen was bad. My husband reckons the song should be chosen using YouTube or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Ireland's song was decent, but lacked oomph and passion. It was very one dimensional. It juts never took off. Nice music and arrangement, but more is needed at the Eurovision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

walshb wrote: »
    Ireland's song was decent, but lacked oomph and passion. It was very one dimensional. It juts never took off. Nice music and arrangement, but more is needed at the Eurovision.

Molly was a bit young and nervous.

The song needed to be belted out in the chorus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Molly was a bit young and nervous.

The song needed to be belted out in the chorus.

Yes, something a bit giddy and immature there. I heard her interviewed yesterday on RTE radio and she came across a little silly. I know she is young, so maybe that explains it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Finally up to speed. The only real injustice tonight was Poland qualifying. Abysmal song.

but she's in a wheelchair

Lord TSC wrote: »

It's all about the song. You'll find that over the last few years, it seems that RTE "personalities" seem to have been invited to write songs, and these are the ones that get through to the National final, and then we have an atrocious song and the personality who wrote it saying "Everyone's working flat out on this and putting such an effort in". Typical one would be Hazel Kaneswaren, well in with the RTE set. Her song was rubbish. They seemed to focus more on the choreography, the bodhrans and the greased up dancers than the quality of the song. That's Louis Walsh mentality. Next years "finalists" will probably be written by Gerald Kean, Mairead Farrell, Brian Dowling, Amanda Brunker and Niall Horan's first cousin....all well known songwriters etc. Is Phil Coulter too busy ? What about someone like Jimmy McCarthy writing a song ? Overall I think the problem is the lack of quality of the song and not the singer really. It's who is being picked to write the song....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I think the big problem is RTÉ.

Edit: Plus we should all vote for Australia. I'll give them block voting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I've said before and I'll say it again. Hozier could write and perform a Eurovision winning song in his sleep.

Other countries seem to want to win more. The countries that win put more effort in trying to find the right singer. Like Ireland doesn't want to win so they are just happy taking part each year they don't want to host it. Same as UK they sending bad acts for the same reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Final running order

1. Slovenia
    2. France
    3. Israel
    4. Estonia
    5. United Kingdom
    6. Armenia
    7. Lithuania
    8. Serbia
    9. Norway
    10. Sweden
    11. Cyprus
    12. Australia
    13. Belgium
    14. Austria
    15. Greece
    16. Montenegro
    17. Germany
    18. Poland
    19. Latvia
    20. Romania
    21. Spain
    22. Hungary
    23. Georgia
    24. Azerbaijan
    25. Russia
    26. Albania
    27. Italy
    Christ they're really angling for a Russian or Italian win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

It's hilarious reading the posts saying "we should send bono" "one of Louis Walsh's acts would be ideal" and "Hozier could write a song and win for us" i also used to have this suggestion in the 90's when i was a naive teen.
    But as i grew up i realised that the Eurovision is looked down on in Ireland, it's a circus, a freakshow of sorts.
    That is why the only acts we send are washed up acts like Mickey Joe, Brian Kennedy and Jedward that think it might bring them back into the public eye for awhile or the unknowns like Molly or Can linn Who think it will get them some clout in Europe.
    I love the Eurovision and I'll have my scorecards out every year but the rest of Ireland looks down it's nose at it and unless we change that and start taking it seriously like our European counterparts then we will never attract serious artists or acts.

Just thinking the big 5 should get to perform on the semi-finals during the voting or something. Other countries have an advantage from performing the semi-final , people will pick out their favourites and be looking forward to seeing that country perform again.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭MintyMagnum

Just seeing the hometovote pics, how many Yes votes will be lost by voters attending Eurovision?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Have a listen to this morning's Gift Grub , it is very funny.

Surely this country drum up a proper song that can compete ? As others have said above forget about that Late Late fiasco.

Stop digging the hole, they must nearly be at the equator at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭LiamHam82

I just heard the Russian entry this morning & I think that is easily the winner, it's the perfect eurovision song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

Someone has made a petition to get RTÉ to change their NF. Was an interesting read. https://www.change.org/p/rte-michael-kealy-change-the-national-selection-process-for-the-eurovision-song-contest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

Belgium down to 4/1 at the moment, behind Sweden, Italy and Russia. Must be a lot of money being put on them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Other countries seem to want to win more. The countries that win put more effort in trying to find the right singer. Like Ireland doesn't want to win so they are just happy taking part each year they don't want to host it. Same as UK they sending bad acts for the same reason.

That's one of the biggest problems, Eastern European countries primarily send their biggest stars. Not just in their respective countries, but in the region in general. And we then complain about the 'bloc voting'.

Every year people come out with stuff like this and it's quite frankly wrong. The best examples are the fact people were coming out with ideas such as Nordics being the new bloc the last couple of years - yet this year Denmark, Iceland and Finland were all DNQ.

Netherlands didn't qualify for roughly 10 years and last year came second with people in their media for years coming out with stuff along the lines of their country not being "en vogue". Latvia qualified tonight for the first time in years (since 2006 afaik). How did they achieve this? They overthrew their national final and made it more contemporary and less "eurovision". The results speak for themselves.

All that's wrong with Ireland's approach is plain to see if we rewatch the late late show national final. It had a half hour section dedicated to an impromptu gameshow where they guessed the lyrics to famous eurovision songs. The songs included British and Irish songs from the 70s as joe from Donna and joe sang along in an emphatic way. It was cringey and old fashioned - completely out of touch with the modern contest. No other country has such a stupid element to their preselection with the host treating the contest in pure contempt - literally every other country other than the uk doesn't have this paradoxical attitude of believing "lol the eurovision is below us" whole simultenously moaning when they don't do well.

Looking forward to the UK bombing on Saturday with their cringey "made for eurovision song" to solidify this.

The Netherlands last year and Latvia this year are two extremely good songs though. Some might say The Common Linnets were the real winners as there was no hype surrounding them (unlike Conchita) and they charted higher than Conchita in various countries charts after the grand final. And Latvia’s odds this year have really shortended. I also don’t believe block voting really plays a part in the top 5/10 – the cream will always rise to the top and do well. However when it comes to songs who can only hope at best to qualify for the grand final, a number of things can play a part on the night - how else can you explain some of the absolute dross that has qualified and some really decent songs not qualifying?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 razvan.mali

I really liked the song of Molly Sterling and I was shocked when I saw that she didin't go trough. In my opinion Ireland should qualify without a problem, but the awful thing is the voting system that you cannot vote for your country.
    I am from Romania and we have a vey ****y song but we qualify because they are living a lot of people outside and they can vote.
    Ireland instead I don't think they have many Irish living outside (beside the ones that are living in US ..and I dont think they are watching or support Eurovision) ...:(
    I think Israel (no offence) had the worst song from the Second Semi-Final "Golden Boy" and they go through.. :|
    Bottom of the line the voting system is the one that is ruining this contest and unfortunately talented people with good songs they cannot qualify ! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Guffy

What happens if Australia win it?

Belgium down to 4/1 at the moment, behind Sweden, Italy and Russia. Must be a lot of money being put on them.

Could very well be in contention. Stranger things have happened. His performance is strong and very memorable, whether you're a fan of it or not.

Having watched back the clips, I think Belgium and Latvia gave the best performances in their respective semis. And now that the running order has pretty much killed off Slovenia and Estonia, it looks like Loic and Aminata are the two to watch if we're to have a "dark horse" that will challenge Sweden and Russia.

Could very well be in contention. Stranger things have happened. His performance is strong and very memorable, whether you're a fan of it or not.

Having watched back the clips, I think Belgium and Latvia gave the best performances in their respective semis. And now that the running order has pretty much killed off Slovenia and Estonia, it looks like Loic and Aminata are the two to watch if we're to have a "dark horse" that will challenge Sweden and Russia.

I absolutely LOVE Belgium. Was going to put money on them months ago but once I heard, or rather, saw Sweden, I thought it was game over and I didn't want to waste my money! Would love it if Loic won :)

• Site Banned Posts: 77 ✭✭Unruly Hector

That is why the only acts we send are washed up acts like Mickey Joe, Brian Kennedy and Jedward that think it might bring them back into the public eye for awhile or the unknowns like Molly or Can linn Who think it will get them some clout in Europe.

That's a bit harsh... I mean Mickey Joe Harte would have won it with We've Got The World Tonight, if it wasnt for the fact that the same song had won three years previous.

(chorus at 0:45)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement