Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eurovision Song Contest 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

gufc21 wrote: »
    What happens if Australia win it?

That's it then, we wrap the whole thing up at 60 years of age and call it a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

In work we’ve had Q102 and Sunshine Radio on the past few months (not my choice!) and not once have I heard Playing with Numbers. The song is perfect for those 2 radio stations – ballady/easy listening. Have Radio 1 been playing it as know BBC Radio 2 have been really pushing Still in Love With You.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

In work we’ve had Q102 and Sunshine Radio on the past few months (not my choice!) and not once have I heard Playing with Numbers. The song is perfect for those 2 radio stations – ballady/easy listening. Have Radio 1 been playing it as know BBC Radio 2 have been really pushing Still in Love With You.

Thats the thing, in most other countries, the songs have been released months ago, and all charted, some quite well, and even spread out across the border, hence being so popular by the time the tournament rocks around.

How many people have heard the Irish song prior to last night?? I didn't! and my oh (foreign) is a big fan of Eurovision

Australia's participation has opened the floodgates, it seems! :pac:
    http://wiwibloggs.com/2015/05/22/china-hunan-tv-eurovision-participation/96106/
    Yesterday Eurovision’s Executive Superviser Jon Ola Sand revealed that the EBU was in discussions with Australia’s SBS about potentially giving Australia a permanent spot at Eurovision. Today wiwibloggs can exclusively reveal that China is ready to get in on the act too — and the EBU is exploring Beijing’s interest.

This morning in the press centre we caught up with Ying Lei, an adviser in strategy & business development for China’s Hunan Broadcasting System and China’s Head of Delegation here in Vienna. According to Ying: “The EBU said, ‘Let’s see. We are open and are always finding new creative ways to bring new elements to each year’s ESC.'"

Why the fúck not, I say! The more, the merrier. The Americans will be up next, then we bring back Morocco and then all we need is a South American representative (assuming Antarctica don't have an act to submit). Worldvision! :D

*plays Russian "peace and love" song and wipes away a single tear*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,599 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Boo-urns to Poland and their emotional blackmail.

Not even Simon Cowell would sink that low :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Isreal will get the trophy.....they're a European country after all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

I think we'll know the winner after the voting order has been confirmed tonight. I think theres 3 songs competing to win, Sweden Russia and Estonia. We should have a fair idea of which one of them will take the crown after the voting order comes out.

If Russia we will see Georgia, Azerbaijain Moldova near the end.
    If Sweden we will see Scandanavian countries along with Ireland and the UK near the end.
    If Estonia we will see the likes of Lithuania and Latvia near the end.

I think myself Sweden will win it if the night goes well for him. Russia and Estonia generally get votes from the same countries and with both having good songs it may be a straight battle in some of those countries where Sweden really has no other songs competing with it in its strongholds like Scandanavia.

Belgium may be a surprise finish for most people. I have to say I like the song and they should pull in a couple of 12's from the likes of Netherlands and Germany and deservedly so!

RTE have to be criticised for they're total nievity when it comes to selecting a song. I see most of the countries who do well have an X Factor type show running for 5-6 weeks ending in a final with 15-20 songs battling it out. As well as that they invite juries from around Europe to provide 50% of the final vote rather than RTE's regional juries of people in their 30's :/ I also think the televotes should be awarded based on how much % each song gets rather than its placing. Take this year for example, if we assume Molly got 40% of the televotes (!) then she would get 80 points rather than 60, or if a song got 6% of the vote it would get 12 points. But the real problem is lack of choice and the Late Late Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It's pity the whole thing is kind of ruined for us tomorrow night now, I just can't get that excited or hyped to watch it when I've no interest in who wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The Australian song is good and the chap who wrote it, Guy Sebastian, said he put that together in just a few days. If you remember there was talk he would send a song from his latest album but instead he went for something original and he's come up with a popular enough song that I'm certain would qualify if Australia had to do the qualifiers.

This is what we should do. There's lots of talented songwriters in this country and I'm sure we could come up with something trendy and popular if we gave the task to someone that can do the job.

Failing that, reform Westlife and send them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The Aussies must have donated a serious amount of cash, it was like the second coming with all the fawning they had over yer man that is representing Australia.

Very professional presenters though, it's not easy to switch between languages when talking to people but they do it with ease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

How in the name of god did Poland and Cyprus get through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Kodaline , The Script are also two great amazing bands if one of those represented ireland.
    More countries in Eurovision would make it better more interesting .
    Watching the dress rehearsals the more I hear Russia it screams the winner but could be Sweden but Norway might be in with a chance. Germany could be a dark horse.

ebbsy wrote: »

In Poland's case the singer being in a wheelchair swung it for them? Harsh but probably true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

was out last night so i missed it all but heard the result. have to say really disappointed. Molly was fantastic and was the best song there(caught up on the show) Only comment i would have made was that she should have made more eye contact and she was wearing a lot more make up then normal , maybe to look older idk . but she definitely should be in the final

tltr:pissed off

Kodaline , The Script are also two great amazing bands if one of those represented ireland.
    More countries in Eurovision would make it better more interesting .

It's not something current mainstream artists in Britain and Ireland seem to want to be involved in though. Here it's seen as being more 'entertainment' than a competition for credible musicians.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It would be worth it just to see the reaction of America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Gooners

I love Cyprus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

It's not something current mainstream artists in Britain and Ireland seem to want to be involved in though. Here it's seen as being more 'entertainment' than a competition for credible musicians.

Yeah there seems to be a stigma attached to it or maybe some other band like them will eventually step up even if we don't win just to get high scores.

In Poland's case the singer being in a wheelchair swung it for them? Harsh but probably true.

All she was missing was a ****ing beard.

Gooners wrote: »
    I love Cyprus

So do I. Weather is great but singers are crap.

• Advertisement

So do I. Weather is great but singers are crap.

He wasn't crap

Looking at Paddy Power...

Sweden 6/4

Russia 3/1

Italy 7/2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

In all fairness if you're suggesting they only got through because of the sympathy vote then Finland should have cruised through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

I'm delighted to hear the news that the Irish girl didn't get through.... she was awful. Some people, particularly RTE, seem to have some psychological complex over the eurovision. Going through iterations and plus/minus points on the national evening news for the eurovision, and speaking as if we were all hoping she would get through... for god's sake... it's not it's the world cup finals.

It's a singing competition! (inherently kind of stupid and based on taste).
    It's the eurovision! It has always supposed to be ironic.

Maybe 5-10 years ago when the nostalgia of old Irish eurovision still fresh maybe it was understandable... but now this is getting a little ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

I'm delighted to hear the news that the Irish girl didn't get through.... she was awful.
    The only thing that's awful is your attitude, fine if you think that RTE's selection process is dated and that deep down they don't really want to win but for you to be delighted that a 17 year old girl wasn't successful in a popularity contest that she was convinced into believing that she actually had a chance is deranged and frankly worrying for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

eh? What're you on about?

I never said RTE didn't want to win, I was commentating on their coverage of it in several ways, such as giving up a late late show.

I also heard that she was a very cool customer and realistic and level headed about her chances and just stated that she would like to see how it played out and take what she could. Your contention seems like a figment of your imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭ItsChecoTime

Jpmarn wrote: »
    We should have this song instead.

No we really shouldn't have. That Kat Mahon song was tripe, genuinely would have rather sent even Alex Saint's song. I feel like we sent the right song but to have any chance of going through needed circumstances to go in our favour (first semi-final, and a later draw) as the song was a grower. Ahh well fair play to Molly anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭ItsChecoTime

Favourites for the final are Italy, Estonia, Latvia and Belgium. Really don't want Sweden to win as the song is such a rip off David Guetta's Lovers on the sun..

Must be the only one here who doesn't hate Slovenia's song!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

It's an awful read imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

My personal best 3 songs are sweden, estonia, belgium.

Few other songs that are catchy. Who is the country with the lad and muscely backup dancers? Their song was good too :D

Any idea who did well with jury votes? Can't wait for tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

Gooners wrote: »
    Any idea who did well with jury votes? Can't wait for tonight.

Sweden judging by the voting order

Nigella Lawson is going to read out the UK's scores :eek: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Evening folks, how are we all tonight? :)

Disclaimer: I haven't followed this at all so know nothing beyond Ireland didn't get through. I'm guessing it'll be an eastern euro country that wins!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Finally, FINALLY caught up. I've been busy the last few days, y'see. :o:o:o:o

Can't really say anything about Molly's failure to reach the final that hasn't already been said - other than I'm disappointed, and it'll be interesting to see just how much she missed out by when the scores are made public.

Here are the bookies' odds with just under an hour to go:

Paddy Power: Sweden evs, Russia 3/1, Italy 9/2, Australia 8/1, Belgium 10/1, Estonia 14/1, Serbia 25/1, Bar 28/1
    Ladbrokes: Sweden 6/5, Russia 3/1, Italy 9/2, Australia 9/1, Belgium 12/1, Estonia 16/1, Serbia 25/1, Bar 33/1
    William Hill: Sweden 6/5, Russia 3/1, Italy 4/1, Australia 8/1, Belgium 10/1, Estonia 16/1, Serbia 20/1, Bar 33/1
    Coral: Sweden 11/10, Russia 3/1, Italy 5/1, Australia 9/1, Belgium 10/1, Estonia 20/1, Serbia 25/1, Bar 40/1

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Disclaimer: I haven't followed this at all so know nothing beyond Ireland didn't get through. I'm guessing it'll be an eastern euro country that wins!
    Sweden and italy are favorite. Kick off 8 pm . results about 10:30

Georgia is my dark horse pick
    oh yeah and Australia are in it this year

Well, a Scandinavian country is the favourite to win - and a Mediterranean country, a Benelux country and a country on the other side of the world are also highly fancied. :o:o:D:);)

Let's get this Eurovision Party started! :D

app14wat.jpg

Ah, cheer up...it's Saturday night! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Pity Molly didn't get through. Imagine the reception she would've gotten tonight!

I'm guessing it'll be an eastern euro country that wins!

Think more Northerly, a land of Volvos and Chicky in de baschket :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Sad not to see Israel getting more of a look in. Really like their song :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Sad not to see Israel getting more of a look in. Really like their song :D

I actually love it! It's silly but great craic! I refuse to believe that he's 16 though!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I actually love it! It's silly but great craic! I refuse to believe that he's 16 though!

:eek:

Thought he was about 30.

thelad95 wrote: »
    Pity Molly didn't get through. Imagine the reception she would've gotten tonight!

Yeah I was thinking the same. Whoever is giving our results should get a great reception anyway!

With regards the songs, Sweden is still my pick to win the whole thing. I've found though that Russia and Australia are the ones I'm singing in my head.

• Advertisement

Jpmarn wrote: »
    this is the song we should have sent. Hard luck Molly.

I don't think so, somehow...

Though we very nearly did send it.

:o:o:o:D;)

Why don't we just send Bono every year?

Europeans love Bono,
    I'm telling y'all, we should just send Bono every year.

Captain-Picard-Facepalm.jpg

Couldn't resist - especially when I hadn't posted it in a while. :o:D:);)

murpho999 wrote: »
    Sweden seem to be favourites every year?

Why? All thanks to Abba?

A lot can happen on Saturday.

Don't forget, though, the Swedes have a proper contest to determine which song they send.

The UK used to have such a contest, too.

There's obviously 50 countries in it already. Kosovo, Kazakhstan, Iran, Lebanon, Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Egypt, Libya, and UAE are 10 more than could be in it sooner than we think!

Morocco were in it 35 years ago. :);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

A not very difficult Eurovision quiz to keep you going until it starts.

http://www.thejournal.ie/article.php?id=1923791

Whoever is giving our results should get a great reception anyway!

http://cdn3.independent.ie/incoming/article29232784.ece/64e01/ALTERNATES/h342/Jtwink.jpg.

:D

Where else would anyone consider Morocco to be...............??!!

Morocco is a full member of the EBU, though.

So, for that matter, are Algeria, Tunisia, Libya and Egypt. And Lebanon, and even Jordan. :o:D;)

dogcat wrote: »
    Someone has made a petition to get RTÉ to change their NF. Was an interesting read. https://www.change.org/p/rte-michael-kealy-change-the-national-selection-process-for-the-eurovision-song-contest

I've signed it. Not sure if it'll make much difference though.

Mickey Joe Harte would have won it with We've Got The World Tonight, if it wasnt for the fact that the same song had won three years previous.

(chorus at 0:45)

In all fairness, Mickey Joe really didn't have much chance against Sertab Erener - regardless how similar "We've Got the World" was to "Fly on the Wings of Love". :o:o:);)

Australia's participation has opened the floodgates, it seems! :pac:
    http://wiwibloggs.com/2015/05/22/china-hunan-tv-eurovision-participation/96106/

Why the fúck not, I say! The more, the merrier. The Americans will be up next, then we bring back Morocco and then all we need is a South American representative (assuming Antarctica don't have an act to submit). Worldvision! :D

*plays Russian "peace and love" song and wipes away a single tear*

Not affiliated with World Vision International, a religious and charitable organisation. :o:o:D:D;)

Worldvision87.jpg

Interesting fact I heard on BBC: when Abba won the Eurovision in 1974 with 'Waterloo' the UK jury didn't give them a single point. The Irish jury did give them a point but our main points went to this rather dreary number from Luxembourg:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement