Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sea Fishing Advice

Options
  • 01-01-2015 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hi, would love to try sea fishing from the shore/rocks, west of Ireland area, Sligo probably. i am an experienced coarse fisher but never done any sea fishing.I have heard winter is a good time for catching sea fish species. am planning to just use one of the spinning rods or float rods I have. where do I start?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭guest2014

anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Pop over to Sea Angling Ireland forum lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭dmc17

More of a Summer fisher myself but there's plenty to be caught all year round from the shore. Check out the Winter Fishing Reports thread.
    I'd say you best bet would be bottom fishing with bait from the shore. You'll need a reasonably strong rod that can cast out bait and a grip lead, so you may need something stronger than what you use for course fishing. A rod stand would also be advisable. You'll need some rigs. You can make your own or buy ready made to start with. I'm sure you could pick up some bait in a local tackle shop. Best bet as always would be to go with someone experienced if possible to learn the basics.
    I'm sure some of the Winter anglers will be along to give some advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭killintime

if your giong useing ur spinning rod try use 1 with a 3lb tc so you can get a good cast out but it will go on what type fish you after as for diffrent fishing rigs there diff wates to use some may take light lead some 5once griplead

killintime wrote: »
    if your giong useing ur spinning rod try use 1 with a 3lb tc so you can get a good cast out but it will go on what type fish you after as for diffrent fishing rigs there diff wates to use some may take light lead some 5once griplead

just say i use rag worm what types of fish will i catch and can i eat them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Ragworm is a great bait for wrasse,flatfish,pollack and gurnard.
    As other posters have said take a look at SAI website.
    Your coarse fishing experience will stand to you when targeting mini species!

radworm an some pelercrab good mix baterig will get you most fish you will be after then mackrel if your after conger from the rocks sorry for the delay in reply was awat for abit

guest2014 wrote: »
    just say i use rag worm what types of fish will i catch and can i eat them.

There's a nice bait guide here from the SAI site.

i like spinning also, would this be a god idea and what would the best spinners be to use?

i like spinning also, would this be a god idea and what would the best spinners be to use?

Not sure about winter time but during the summer spinning from the rocks is great fun. I mostly use soft plastics like these with a jig head or a small weight about 3ft in front of the lure.

• Advertisement

dmc17 wrote: »
    Not sure about winter time but during the summer spinning from the rocks is great fun. I mostly use soft plastics like these with a jig head or a small weight about 3ft in front of the lure.

what is the success rate for sea fishing from rocks? would you catch fish most days or can it be hit or miss like coarse fishing.

its abit like coarse fishing you can go out 1 day catch loads then noting for the next few day just a few nibles

what is the success rate for sea fishing from rocks? would you catch fish most days or can it be hit or miss like coarse fishing.

Depending on conditions and locations you'd catch a good bit of the time. It's mostly pollock I'd catch spinning and mackerel a bit further out. It's good fun rock hopping though and finding new fishing spots on a fine summers day!

Advertisement