Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballyhoura MTB trail run

Options
  • 01-01-2015 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello - just wondering if anyone knows if it possible to run any of the Ballyhoura MTB trails or is it frowned upon? Cheers. I couldn't find much info online except a YouTube video of some lads running an ultra there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Hmmmm the reason it's frowned upon is a bike coming flatout down a steep narrow track will utterly flatten you and very possibly put you in hospital with serious injuries. For your own safety stay off them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

That video, and them lads caused a bit of a sh1tstorm when it started to get publicity.
    To be fair they went out really early and blistered around so didn't meet to much traffic.
    As already said the risk of injury is massive, generally the lads who bike the longer trails are all fast and don't expect to meet pedestrians - and might react harshly.
    From what I have heard, running the trails is a no-no, they are unique for this part of the country in that they are specifically listed as being bike trails - not mixed use like many others.
    If you really want to run in that neck of the woods there is a fantastic loop with a good technical surface and faster single track to the SE of the bike car-park, it's marked as the blackrock loop, you can mix and match for a longer distance (some of it co-exists with part of the MTB green and brown loops). Nearby is the glen of aherlow which offers some nice trails.
    If they were to shut the MTB trails for one day to host an ultra it would do well, but it has already been requested and rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 runfuj

b.harte wrote: »
    That video, and them lads caused a bit of a sh1tstorm when it started to get publicity.
    To be fair they went out really early and blistered around so didn't meet to much traffic.
    As already said the risk of injury is massive, generally the lads who bike the longer trails are all fast and don't expect to meet pedestrians - and might react harshly.
    From what I have heard, running the trails is a no-no, they are unique for this part of the country in that they are specifically listed as being bike trails - not mixed use like many others.
    If you really want to run in that neck of the woods there is a fantastic loop with a good technical surface and faster single track to the SE of the bike car-park, it's marked as the blackrock loop, you can mix and match for a longer distance (some of it co-exists with part of the MTB green and brown loops). Nearby is the glen of aherlow which offers some nice trails.
    If they were to shut the MTB trails for one day to host an ultra it would do well, but it has already been requested and rejected.

Thank you. I was planning on something similar (head out very early so as to avoid any traffic) but ill give a miss altogether. Have just moved to the Tipp / Limk area so was looking around. I'll check out the Glen of aherlow - thank you.

Advertisement