Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scope in Carry on Luggage from Uk to Ireland

Options
  • 01-01-2015 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

Hi does anyone have any experience of carrying scopes in carry on luggage from UK to Ireland? Any and all experiences welcome 😊

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Carried a Leupold back from SFO to LHR to DUB - no issues at all in 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

madmac187 wrote: »
    Hi does anyone have any experience of carrying scopes in carry on luggage from UK to Ireland? Any and all experiences welcome 😊

Did it once...They went crazy looking for the rifle in my hand luggage.LOL.Once they couldn't find something that could be possible to load and fire they were all right about it.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Did it once...They went crazy looking for the rifle in my hand luggage.LOL.Once they couldn't find something that could be possible to load and fire they were all right about it.

Was the rifle around your shoulder the whole time then? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Should be no problem at all. Scopes are not firearms or component parts of firearms and are allowed to be carried in hand luggage. Sure, all said and done they're nothing more than half a pair of bino's with a few additional moving parts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭freddieot

Should be no problem as it is not a firearms component, just an optic.

However, I would check the airline website and see if it states that it is allowed in their T&Cs or list of allowable contents. If not, email them and ask for confirmation.

Checkers don't see stuff like that very often in carry-on and although you should have no problem, having something written quickly resolves any confusion in my experience. I remember a slightly awkward moment once when my Siklinger holster in my carry-on showed up on X-Ray at one airport. Quickly resolved once I explained that my handgun had been declared and was already in the hold and all they had in front of them was a plastic holster. Unfortunately, common sense is not always that common.

• Advertisement
Advertisement