Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Turning a 1974 Lada Into a 2015 Lamborghini

• 01-01-2015 10:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭

I'm Back! :D

New Year - New Log

I was here before with a previous log and I decided months ago to ditch it. It was full of problems and even the name "Staying Motivated With Slow Progress & Injury Worries" was negative. New year, new start and a log which will hopefully be more positive.

Now I very much doubt that anyone is gonna learn too much from me. But I want to use this log to keep me honest and motivated. I doubt I'll update it after every run. But maybe a couple of times a week. I'll try to be better than I was at updating the other log anyhow.

So, a brief history. started running in June 2012 as a way to put a stop to the weight creep. Weight went up to 14st 6lbs I think (and looked worse) and I wanted to put a stop to it. Plus I had DCM in my bucket list since I was a teenager and wanted to complete one before turning 40. So I went out with the aim of 2013 Dublin City Marathon in mind, giving myself 16 months to build up to it. Injuries were a problem at the start as I tried to build too quickly and my training was unstructured and not very bright in many ways looking back. As it happened, I didn't make it to DCM 2013. In fact, I got injured one week before the 18 week plan was due to start and was out for the following 10 weeks. So DCM13 was knocked on the head.

Once I got back, I continued to do the odd 10K, 5K and whatever race with a new goal of DCM 2014. But training was still regularly stop-start with injuries. But this time I made it to DCM, albeit with many injury problems along the way. The second half of the 18 week plan was a struggle with a list of issues as long as your arm. I had to revise my initial target of sub 4 hours way down but I was totally determined to do it and trained on thru the pain with reasons that had become much more personal and important than what the original reasons were. I never missed an LSR (bar one) but I did miss a fair few midweek runs. Did three 20+ mile LSRs on the build up and gotta tell ya, my body was objecting strongly to it, some of my runs were a real sufferfest and I was falling very much OUT of love with running and would have given up except those new personal reasons wouldn't let me.

After DCM, I was just happy to have done it although not particularly proud of my time. But it was the best to be expected of myself given how the previous 10 or 11 weeks had gone. One it was all over, I knew I had to take a complete break for November and give my body a chance to recover. That included a break from this Boards Athletics forum to give myself a mental break too and to avoid torment and being tempted to try too much too quickly. After 5 weeks off, I did 7.5K and while I felt a lot better, it styill wasn't right and I knew I needed more time. 10 days later I did a sort of an unofficial run when I had to leg it for about a mile to catch a train and I was still feeling it after that short run. Next run was 4 miles on Christmas eve, felt a tiny twinge and said I'd call it a year, come back and start 2015 on New Years' Day, completely niggle free hopefully.

The weight got down to 12st 1Ib at around the time of DCM. Since then, it's probably crept up again - but only by about 4Ibs or 5Ibs I'd say, which is not too bad considering there's been so little running done in the last 2 months and the excesses of the last 2 weeks.

PBs:

Distance|Date|Time
    5K|Dec 2013|23:03
    10K|Mar 2014|49:40
    10M|Aug 2014|1:24:56
    HM|June 2013|2:06:13*
    Mar|Oct 2014|4:57:41

*Struggled through the last 2½ miles or so of this one with an injury, had been on course for a sub 2hr comfortably.

My 2014 running year didn't start til second week of February and ended at DCM and also had load of problems in between. So it was effectively a year of about 7 months for me. So I only managed just under 820 miles all year. Not happy with that at all and seeking a huge improvement in 2015

Goals for 2015

Sub 22 minute 5K
    Sub 48 minute 10K (really hoping to go a good bit lower than that)
    Sub 1:50 HM
    Sub 4 hour DCM (if I do it at all - undecided - may realistically take longer to get there, depends how training goes next time)
    Well over 1,000 miles ran.
    Do a lot more races, I really haven't done enough
    Join a club (I am already in touch with one but haven't attended a session yet)
    Get better at cross training - hoping the club will help here

Immediate goals are to get thru January in good shape and the start hitting the Kilkenny Parkrun in February and run other races with the first big goal race of 2015 probably being the Wexford HM on April 26th

Constructive criticism of my log is encouraged and will be extremely welcome

Happy running year everyone :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Thursday: Jan 1st

7 miles @ 9:40 pace

Went out in the strong wind without any notions about how far I would go or pace. Just wanted to get thru a run comfortably, without any sign of issues whatsoever. And I think I did...so far.

I brought the watch but ignored it and just ran by fair effort, if you will. Kinda pleasantly surprised how fast "fair effort" was considering I'm a bit out of shape at the moment with the long break, and considering the excesses of Jack Daniels last night.....the bad Jack Daniels....not the good one! Pleasantly surprised too that I went for 7 miles. Was expecting 4 or 5 - but was enjoying it so much, didn't wanna stop.

I even got my first heckle of the year.....some things never change. Despite the wind, it was actually a lovely evening for a run. My wonderful heckler didn't seem to think so though! I said to him, shuddup ya ****in eejit, you're out in it too :)

Gonna get arranging my first session with the SLOT club very soon. Wanna make sure I'm OK first - so another run or two has to go well before I go there.

Oh I forgot another important goal of 2015 - to get myself a decent feckin username! :D

Oh and, make my log entries more concise :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Great to see you back Laois_Man or whatever you're gonna call yourself in the future!
    Looking forward to reading about your injury free running exploits this year.
    Best of luck with everything!

I also have the Wexford Half in April in my plan!

Ososlo wrote: »
    Great to see you back Laois_Man or whatever you're gonna call yourself in the future!

Thanks

Excellent that you're doing Wexford. Never did it but it seems like a really fast course.

Not that "Fast" is much to me :)

You on the other hand......I had a brief catch up on the last couple pf pages of your log last night....hitting 6:2x pace now are we....I'm surprised my log is good enough for you to be seen dead in nowadays :D:D

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Thanks

Excellent that you're doing Wexford. Never did it but it seems like a really fast course.

Not that "Fast" is much to me :)

You on the other hand......I had a brief catch up on the last couple pf pages of your log last night....hitting 6:2x pace now are we....I'm surprised my log is good enough for you to be seen dead in nowadays :D:D

ha ha very funny. Almost anyone can run at 6:2x pace for 40 seconds;)
    Can't wait to do Wexford. I'm much better at the longer slower stuff!
    Yes Wexford is a lovely flat course! What plan will you follow or have you thought that far ahead yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Good to hear you are starting back again and that the injuries are on the mend. Will be keeping an eye as I've an identical goal for the 5k and similar for the 10k ... not to mention staying injury-free!

• Advertisement

ha ha very funny. Almost anyone can run at 6:2x pace for 40 seconds;)
    Can't wait to do Wexford. I'm much better at the longer slower stuff!
    Yes Wexford is a lovely flat course! What plan will you follow or have you thought that far ahead yet?

I haven't thought that far ahead tbh. I'll see does the club have a plan they follow. I'm sure they'll have a few doing it.

If not, I'll pick one out handily enough

What about yourself. Following a non-mainstream plan tailored for yourself I suppose?

Good to hear you are starting back again and that the injuries are on the mend. Will be keeping an eye as I've an identical goal for the 5k and similar for the 10k ... not to mention staying injury-free!

Best of luck with it

Hopefully we can inspire one another :D

I haven't thought that far ahead tbh. I'll see does the club have a plan they follow. I'm sure they'll have a few doing it.

If not, I'll pick one out handily enough

What about yourself. Following a non-mainstream plan tailored for yourself I suppose?

Yeah sure you'll have great advice from the club coach(es) on a plan to follow I'd imagine.
    My training won't change too much. Will just continue what I'm doing and the long run will get a bit longer.

Best of luck with it

Hopefully we can inspire one another :D

Inspire ... hmmm ... nothing like a small bit of competition either!

(really shouldn't be typing things like that given the state of my right leg at the moment :rolleyes:)

Yeah sure you'll have great advice from the club coach(es) on a plan to follow I'd imagine.
    My training won't change too much. Will just continue what I'm doing and the long run will get a bit longer.

You got a target time in mind yet?

• Advertisement

You got a target time in mind yet?

I'd hope to do just under 1:50 by then after another few months of decent training.
    Slower than you anyways, that's for sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I thought you'd gone off Eoin Ryan events?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MKDTH

You were going to go away and get yourself checked out.......... Did you? Hopefully this year will be a far less painful experience!
    Welcome back.

menoscemo wrote: »
    I thought you'd gone off Eoin Ryan events?

I didn't actually realise it was! Any other suggestions around that time? Sorry for thread hijack LM!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I didn't actually realise it was! Any other suggestions around that time? Sorry for thread hijack LM!

I figured you mightn't have copped that!! To be fair Wexford is (was) the best of the races he organises in my experience. Mind you the second time I did it (about 3 years ago) a lot of corners had already been cut compared to the first. Bohermeen is great but possibly a little early for you?

Sorry for the hijack too L_M

menoscemo wrote: »
    I figured you mightn't have copped that!! To be fair Wexford is (was) the best of the races he organises in my experience. Mind you the second time I did it (about 3 years ago) a lot of corners had already been cut compared to the first. Bohermeen is great but possibly a little early for you?

Sorry for the hijack too L_M

good to hear you think it's the best of his races.
    Yes Bohermeen is a bit early. My "long" run is only 11/12 miles yet. I'll research some more but will do Wex if nothing more suitable arises.
    Thanks!
    And thanks for the loan of the log L_M!

MKDTH wrote: »
    You were going to go away and get yourself checked out.......... Did you? Hopefully this year will be a far less painful experience!
    Welcome back.

Yeah I avoided saying that.

Two physio's in my ear. contradicting each other........head wrecking!

Don't worry about borrowing the thread

Eoin Ryan . ....I'm intrigued

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MKDTH

Yeah I avoided saying that.

Two physio's in my ear. contradicting each other........head wrecking!

:(
    That's all you need!

Sunday Jan 4th

5 Miles at 9:24 pace

I really need to start updating this log more often. A week later and I can't remember a whole lot about this run except that I found it harder than new years day and ran out of steam around mile 3. Apart from so little running in 2 months, I think I'm affected by the poor diet over the last couple of weeks

Wednesday Jan 7th

7 Miles at 10:06 pace

Being very cautious. Would like to be running more but I have been feeling my ITB/Knee now and again. It's doing my head in, one minute I feel it, next minute I don't for a number of hours, then I do again for a short time.

Saturday Jan 9th

7 Miles at 9:36 pace

After a very very stressful week and weekend, this run was needed. Felt so much better after it. The bad hail shower during the run was fun!

Training is a bit same ol' same ol' but that's not the concern at the moment. Still feeling the IT Band intermittently but now also the right instep/tendon area which had been bothering me for about a month before the marathon. Neither are very painful, just slight twinges....but both are making me very cautions and nervous about whether I am doing the right thing by running at all. Considering concentrating on the bike only for a couple of weeks. Not even confident it'll all be grand after a couple of weeks either though - considering I've given it 2 months already.

• Advertisement

Training is a bit same ol' same ol' but that's not the concern at the moment. Still feeling the IT Band intermittently but now also the right instep/tendon area which had been bothering me for about a month before the marathon. Neither are very painful, just slight twinges....but both are making me very cautions and nervous about whether I am doing the right thing by running at all. Considering concentrating on the bike only for a couple of weeks. Not even confident it'll all be grand after a couple of weeks either though - considering I've given it 2 months already.

Maybe you need to just do shorter runs & build up slowly, might be that 7miles is too much for the ITB right now ... (I was a bit jealous to see your two 7mile runs, given that you're coming back from injury ;) )

Maybe you need to just do shorter runs & build up slowly, might be that 7miles is too much for the ITB right now ... (I was a bit jealous to see your two 7mile runs, given that you're coming back from injury ;) )

+1000. 7 miles is quite a lot to do when you haven't run in a few days. I'd be aiming for more frequent easy runs of 35 mins or so.

Maybe you need to just do shorter runs & build up slowly, might be that 7miles is too much for the ITB right now
    +1000. 7 miles is quite a lot to do when you haven't run in a few days couple of months. I'd be aiming for more frequent easy runs of 35 mins or so.

FYP

Yanno what, thanks for the advice ye 2. I think that makes a lot of sense. I guess I am so busy at the moment, I get to run less frequently than I'd like to and I try to compensate for that by running further when I do get a chance to run. Hoping things will calm down in another week or so. But yeah, I'm gonna try to follow that advice and cut it back to about 4 miles for a bit. :D

I work for an American company and there's one new guy on the US side who is way OTT with his signing off on e-mails. Just got one from him that was signed off exactly like this and which I think I'll redirect to ye.....

"Thanks for all that you do to make us achieve our goals and make this entire World a better place. Infinite Blessings to you!"

Cracks me up that guy! :D

Friday Jan 16th

4 miles at 9:53 pace

An absolute fecker of a week. I'm talking 2:30am finishing work EVERY day. So no running done all week. But project is delivered now. Back into it with 4 niggle free miles

Sunday Jan 18th

4 miles at 9:18 pace

Had been feeling the left knee a tiny bit over the previous 24 hours but not during this run. Kind of ran this a bit like a fartlek session as getting a bit bored with just running at the same pace. Enjoyed it more.

Tuesday Jan 20th

6 miles a 9:00 pace

A lovely run in the rain. Felt the tendons in the right foot a little bit in the second mile but grand other than that. Kept at a fairly consistent pace other than the first and last mile.

Looking forward to training with a bit more purpose soon - once I get the confidence up a bit that I can handle it. A little reluctant to do any pace work as it always brings on problems. Also will be stepping up my cross-training a bit this week.

An absolute fecker of a week. I'm talking 2:30am finishing work EVERY day. So no running done all week.

Ah no! My sympathies, I know the feeling well (in my case back in Nov and Dec). Do these places not realise we have running to do :confused:??? Glad you're back at it and keep it gentle...

Friday, Jan 23rd

5 miles at 8:59 pace

Gettin there. I consciously slowed down a bit near the end when I was feeling a slight twinge in the knee. I sometimes wonder is this **** just all in my head.

Sunday, Jan 25th

5 miles at 9:31 pace

I kinda felt a bit lazy on this one. I was just enjoy running at a nice easy pace in what were absolutely perfect weather conditions. And really enjoing the fact that a pace that was killing me in discomfort 4 months ago when it was all a major sufferfest, is now actually back to what I just called 'a nice easy pace' again.

Monday Jan 26th

5 miles at 8:52 pace

The later stages of DCM training where I couldn't manage 2 consecutive sub 10 minute miles feels like an eternity ago. Hoping to really see the benefits of it over the next couple of months

Wednesday Jan 28th

7 miles at 9:13 pace

Running in a very very cold wind. Really enjoyed it. I feel like the fitness is coming back quickly and that I have made good progress since the new year. Haven't felt the ITB/knee at all since the run on the 23rd. Say nothin

Once this month is over, I want to change things around a bit in February. Hoping I can improve the structure now that I have this decent January base behind me and I have reminded the body that it's now attached to a brain that wants to run. And I want to hit the Kilkenny Parkrun a couple of times in February. All in preparation for the first milestone race of the year for me which will be a 10K race in mid-March....and building up to the Wexford HM in late April.

Friday Jan 30th

8 Mile LSR at 9:39 pace

I'm calling this an LSR anyway. Well....have to start somewhere.

Took advantage of a day off work and got this done mid-morning which is a nice novelty. It took a bit longer than usual to get warmed up. That's morning running!

Have a very important 5th birthday being celebrated in my house today (and tomorrow)......an excuse for a little tipple tonight methinks....since I've been very good since new years' eve :D - well, been good alcohol-wise anyway - it's a pity about everything else tho! :(

Sunday Feb 1st

6 miles @ 9:15 pace

Bit of a heavy weekend. Booze and poor diet - and I felt it on this run. Nearly killed me!

Tuesday Feb 3rd

6 miles @ 8:55 pace

Still feeling a bit lethargic. But in any case, it's definitely time to start putting a bit of variety into the running from now on - before I bore myself to injury. The intention was to get a decent base after 2 months off after the marathon and I've done that now. So now it's time to follow up on my new years resolution and join the club. I went there tonight. There was a couch 2 5K thing going on. I didn't do any training, just had a good chat with the coach. Tomorrow night it starts for me with 45 minutes of speed work. Then a group LSR of 10 miles or so on Saturday morning. Excited (and a little bit apprehensive that I'll be Mr. slow at the speed session tomorrow night :D )

So I am going to pay session-by-session for this month and then sign up for a full years membership at the end of the month if I am liking it. And the idea of running 20 mile LSRs later in the year as part of a group is bound to be something I'll like more than the thoughts of doing it on my own again.

Wednesday, Feb 4th

0.75 mile warm up

8x550 meter repeats averaging 6:50 pace (per mile) with 60 second recovery

Cool Down

Total 3.9 Miles

Well I took the plunge - my first ever session with a club. It was on a 550 meter grass track with part of it consisting of having to go up a short steep hill and back down again about 100 meters later. I covered the 550m between 2:18 and 2:21 each time.

And, I wasn't Mr. slow. Out of 21 runners at the session, there was a small group who looked like they're training for Rio but I held a respectable position in the rest. Happy enough considering I haven't done any speedwork in about 10 months!

Next Club session was due to be a 10 mile LSR on Saturday morning. But I've realized I am on Daddy duty on Saturday morning as Mrs. Laois_Man attends college on a Saturday every few weeks and she's there this Saturday. I'd love to do it. Ahh well....I've waited this long to do a group LSR, might as well wait another week. I'll still do about 9 miles on my own.

Happy out though! :D

• Advertisement

Friday Feb 6th

9.1 Mile LSR at 10:04 pace

Since I have to swerve the club 10 Mile LSR in the morning, I did this on my own tonight.

I'm wondering if I should do another club session other than the Wednesday speed session. Those speed sessions are a curse to me. I was feeling my right hamstring a little bit at the start of this run and also feeling runners knee on the left :rolleyes:

Rest tomorrow and see how I feel for a few easy miles on Sunday.

Monday Feb 9th

4 miles at 10:01 pace

Took 3 days off to give the knee a rest as I felt quite a bit of discomfort on Saturday - not pain - discomfort. A lot better on Sunday but still a twinge so gave it another day. Decided to do a short very slow run this evening. Feels OK.

Wednesday Feb 11th

5 Miles

My second club session - pacework again. This time:
    - Warm-up
    - 5x1 min with 1 min recovery
    - 5x2 mins with 1 min recovery
    - 5x1 min with 30 sec recovery
    - Cool down

I didn't bother with pressing the lap button on the watch all the time or anything so the following paces are just a guesstimation based on studying Garmin Connect data;

FIRST SET: First 3 repeats done at well below 7 min pace, slowed down to nearly 8 min miles for the last 2

SECOND SET: Knowing this was gonna be tough, I was a bit more reserved with the pace and was happy to stay at about 7:45 pace. Still slowed for the last 2 repeats though to about 8:10 for the 4th and about 8:30 for the 5th

THIRD SET: First around 7:15 pace. Next 2, around 8:15 pace, getting knackered now. Hard push for the last one to get below 7 min pace

Enjoyed it! Can't wait for my first club LSR on Saturday morning where I'll be goin with the 15K group.

Saturday Feb 14th

9 mile LSR at 8:42 pace

First LSR with the club - a bit faster than I do them on my own (last weeks 9 miles was at 10:04 pace, the week before, 8 miles at 9:39 pace). Second last mile at 7:49 pace - Happy to see that pace after 8 miles. Not sure whether its a good thing when it's supposed to be an LSR. But in a group, it doesn't feel as fast or difficult so I suppose it is. Enjoyed it again. Think I'll stick with this club lark. I can really see myself getting much better in the near future coz of it.

Now off out to undo it all with Valentine's night boldness! ;)

Monday Feb 16th

7 Miles at 9:16 pace

Went out without any preconceived idea's of how far or how fast I'd run. Ran by feel at a pace that was a little more difficult than easy. Pleased that there are no real worries after that pretty quick (for me) 9 miler with the club on Saturday morning. That was the main thing.

Less than 4 weeks to go before my first race of the year (SLOT 10K) and I'm not sure how I feel about my prospects of knocking a decent chunk off my PB (which is 49:40). The only thing to do is just keep plugging away and see what happens I suppose!

Wednesday Feb 18th

Club Pace Session

This one was on a standard 400m track.

Warm up
    600m
    1,000m
    600m
    1,000m
    600m
    Cool down

2 mins walking recovery in between

Happy for now with my pace but I hope I can be consistent to the last set with it very soon. I do feel the 2 minutes recovery in between these sets is too long. And I also feel there isn't quiet enough of them. Would anyone else here agree?? But being mister newbie, I don't wanna be mister know-it-all-newbie and tell the coach that's been there for donkeys years how he should improve it.

• Advertisement

Thursday Feb 19th

10K Recovery at 9:53 per mile

Started this way too fast - had to remind myself it was supposed to be A RECOVERY OR EASY run. But I have a big job interview tomorrow and feeling a bit anxious!

I was planning on doing a 10 Mile LSR with the club on Saturday morning. Getting a little bit nervous about increasing my mileage a bit too quickly though. So I think I might do something less. 8 miles maybe.

Saturday Feb 21st

8.08 Mile LSR at 8:46 per mile

LSRing with the club again. This felt a lot harder than last weeks 9 mile LSR even though the pace was only 4 seconds slower and I certainly didn't feel as strong at the end as I did last weekend. Dunno why - Maybe because I effectively did most of it on my own in between two groups!

Wednesday Feb 18th

Club Pace Session

This one was on a standard 400m track.

Warm up
    600m
    1,000m
    600m
    1,000m
    600m
    Cool down

2 mins walking recovery in between

Happy for now with my pace but I hope I can be consistent to the last set with it very soon. I do feel the 2 minutes recovery in between these sets is too long. And I also feel there isn't quiet enough of them. Would anyone else here agree?? But being mister newbie, I don't wanna be mister know-it-all-newbie and tell the coach that's been there for donkeys years how he should improve it.

I run similar repeats with a group sometimes, doing 5x650m and I usually find its enough ;). They are set-up on a fixed 6min clock (there are five loops of different distances you can choose) so in my case I'm getting about 3 mins of walking round in between... I think they are called repeats when you push harder and have a longer recovery (especially when the recovery is walk or standing). I was planning to move up to the loop around 1k when I get stronger but you've given me an idea for an intermediate option!

Are you all around the same pace in the group? Was wondering how they keep all of synchronised if it's a fixed 2min recovery

You could run them flat out and then you'd need the longer recovery ;)

PS But be careful of the ITB if it ever feels a bit sore, just stop. When I was getting back into running after my ITB problems long ago, I used to always bring bus/taxi fare on the long runs, and I would bail if the ITB started complaining. It was really satisfying to see this backing-off do the trick when the ITB made a re-appearance for a week or so during marathon training last summer :). I still bring the money every time I do any mid/long run in the years since.

I run similar repeats with a group sometimes, doing 5x650m and I usually find its enough ;). They are set-up on a fixed 6min clock (there are five loops of different distances you can choose) so in my case I'm getting about 3 mins of walking round in between... I think they are called repeats when you push harder and have a longer recovery (especially when the recovery is walk or standing). I was planning to move up to the loop around 1k when I get stronger but you've given me an idea for an intermediate option!

Are you all around the same pace in the group? Was wondering how they keep all of synchronised if it's a fixed 2min recovery

You could run them flat out and then you'd need the longer recovery ;)

PS But be careful of the ITB if it ever feels a bit sore, just stop. When I was getting back into running after my ITB problems long ago, I used to always bring bus/taxi fare on the long runs, and I would bail if the ITB started complaining. It was really satisfying to see this backing-off do the trick when the ITB made a re-appearance for a week or so during marathon training last summer :). I still bring the money every time I do any mid/long run in the years since.

I guess the 2 minute recovery starts when the last person finishes, which means a good bit longer than a 2 minute recovery for some people but I am very much in the middle of the pack so it's not a huge difference for me personally.

I do run them flat out but I still find I am out of oxygen debt well before the 2 minutes are up. Having said that, I do get progressively slower. The first 1K, I think I did it in 4:11. The second one was something like 4:25

The ITB is grand at the moment. A tiny little knee twinge at the moment but only now and again and the common advice I see is to run as far as you can run without pain and try get that distance longer gradually. OK so far, touch wood. ;)

The first 1K, I think I did it in 4:11. The second one was something like 4:25

That's pretty good, I would not be able to do them that fast I think... my speed definitely needs some attention! Glad the ITB is quiet.

• Advertisement

Tuesday Feb 24th

4.35 miles easy at 9:58 pace

Notin much to say about it. It was 4.35 miles. It was easy :cool:

Wednesday, Feb 25th

Club pace session on the track in the rain

6x600m with 2 minutes walking recovery in between

Warm up
    Warm up with strides

Then the main action

1. 600m in 2:24
    2. 600m in 2:25
    3. 600m in 2:25
    4. 600m in 2:31 (I'm convinced something went wrong with the timing here)
    5. 600m in 2:32
    6. 600m in 2:24
    = 3,600m in 14:41

Cool down

So pace on the repeats was between 6:26 per mile and 6:48 per mile and averaged at 6:34

I purposely took the first couple of repeats a tiny bit easier to keep more in the tank for later. Again, feeling the 2 minutes recovery was too long and something definitely did go wrong with the timing on that 4th repeat - I wasn't the only one saying it. And I went hell for leather on the last one and would have been faster only I got boxed in.

Happy with the session but would like to not have tailed off around 75%-80% of the way through.

Total: 3.81 miles

Thursday Feb 26th

5.13 miles recovery at 10:25 pace

I finally got that job interview out of the way and it feels like a tonne of weight off my shoulders. Took this nice and easy, pretty stiff starting off. One thing I hate though is running during Rag Week around here. Students pretending to be drunk, showing off to their mates everywhere. Every year it's the same. Must find an out of town route for next year!

Looking forward now to a 10 Mile LSR with the club on Saturday morning - will try and keep with a group all the way this time....not much point running with a club otherwise. :cool:

Saturday Feb 28th

10 Mile LSR at 8:19 pace

This, to my surprise, turned out to be an unofficial PB over 10 miles. I have only ever ran one 10 mile race, the Frank Duffy last August and this was 1:42 faster than that. I wasn't setting out to do it faster (until I got to mile 9) - It just happened. And I still had the ability to run mile 10 in 7:48. And what's more, I could have gone faster over the 10 miles as a whole. At the start, I was running with a group that were doing a longer distance and so were going slower. Then when we split off in 2 different directions and I had to chase down the 10 milers, and I caught up with some of them.

I feel like I have made huge progress in the 3½ weeks since I joined the club but I am a little worried that the LSRs may be too fast - even though I feel great at the moment.

Monday March 2nd

5 Miles easy at 9:50 pace

I'm starting to overdose on Vitamin C right now - feel like I might be coming down with something. It perhaps wasn't wise to go out tonight at all.....'tiz mighty cold out there which mightn't have helped. Time to start building up the mileage more, which is dangerous for me considering my record - but I have to take the plunge some time. Aiming for about 26 miles this week - if I can stay healthy.

Wednesday March 4th

Club Track session

1,000m warm up

2x100m warm up with strides

The main action...all out

1: 300m in 1 minute flat
    2: 400m in 1:20
    3: 500m in 1:55
    4: 600m in 2:25
    5: 500m in 2:00
    6: 400m in 1:31
    7: 300m in 0:56

cool down

The average pace for the repeats was 5:58 per mile

The pace was faster than last week, but that was coz the repeats were mostly shorter.....the 600m was the same....this should have felt an easier session than last week but it really didn't. I wasn't as up for it at all. I think I am feeling the effects of feeling a little bit run down this week. I think I am fine now....but it's taken a bit out of me.

10 days to go to my first race of the year.

Total: 3 Miles

Thursday March 5th

5 miles easy at 10:06 pace

I had been planning on going a bit further and slightly faster tonight but I have been feeling a bit of a twinge on my right hamstring since I got up this morning so I took the cautious approach - shorter and slower. I concentrate quite a lot on stretching the calves, glutes and lower back and the hamstrings have been neglected - not any more.

I have been doing quite a bit of this hamstring stretch throughout the day and stopped a couple of times during tonight's run to do it also - it seems to help a bit

I am hoping to do a club Long Run of about 11 miles on Saturday morning - all being well. Touch wood.

Saturday March 7th

11.46 mile LSR at 8:29 pace

This was a very tough run on a very warm and very very windy morning. A long, steep hill after about 9½ miles was nearly the death of me altogether but I managed to stay with the small group I was in. Getting to the top of the hill offered no respite coz there, we were exposed to the full force of 'Hurricane 4ucker". I got a good lesson on stretching the glutes from one of the other runners afterwards which will come in handy. He took pity on me when he saw my feeble attempts.

The hamstring feels OK but there is a tiny twinge that I am very conscious of. Gonna roll and stretch the 5hite out of it for the rest of the weekend.

This time next week, I'll have crossed the finish line in my first 10K of the year. I’m feeling reasonably confident about a PB - if I can stay well. I might swerve this Wednesday's pace session just to make sure I do - Dunno yet. But as always with these things, it’ll depend on the conditions and how I am feeling on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

A new log to follow :pac:

Good luck at the weekend !

Monday March 9th

5.5 Miles easy at 9:34 pace

I don't know what was up with me tonight but I didn't enjoy this run much. 9:34 pace actually felt an awful lot harder than it should have. Couldn't wait for it to be over. Just really low on energy. I am putting it down to being a bit bold over the weekend. I am going to take it a bit easier this week anyway on the build up to Saturdays race and I think I will miss Wednesday's club session as a result.

Hamstring feels perfect. Not even a twinge now. But (and if you're squimish, look away now) my toenails are pretty disgusting at the moment. The nails of both my big toes have been black for the last 6 months and now the nail on the right foot is beginning to seperate from the toe. It's not sore though. Usually. I'm more worried about trying to make sure I don't get an infection.

Looking forward to Saturdays 10K now - even if tonights lack of energy has dented the old confidence a bit. The goal race is still some HM in a couple of months from now and Wexford is really my only choice. I would consider doing Limerick only I can't as I am flying out to the US the day before it. I have actually been looking to do some sort of a race in America while I am over there - it would be a cool experience to run a race over there - even if it was only a 5K. But I haven't been able to find anything that's a convienient distance away on the date I want. Still keeping an eye out though.

Wednesday March 11th

7 Miles at 8:53 average pace

I skipped the club session tonight - whatever they did probably wasn't much, if any, harder than what I did myself. But coming up to Saturday's 10K race, I just wanted to be in control of my own run.

I wanted to do miles 2, 4 and 6 at 7:40 pace with the others easy

First attempt was too fast: 7:15
    Second attempt was pretty much bang on: 7:41
    Third attempt 7:36

I am confident of beating my 49:40 PB on Saturday but I'm really hoping to take a decent chunk off of it. My planned pace may prove slightly ambitious but as long as it doesn't kill me, I suppose I'll learn from it. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement