Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being connected to sky hub seems to slow computer down.

Options
  • 01-01-2015 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi.
    I'd value someone's opinion on this as SKY insist there's no problem with signal, and maybe their right.
    Once I've connected to the SKY hub my laptop is incredibly slow to do any internet work such as check email, search google or play a youtube video. It usually tells me that pages are unresponsive and to wait. It eventually speeds up after about 15 minutes, but still not as good as I would expect for €40 per month. Not only is it slow, but it seems to disrupt and slow down the operating system also.
    Thing is, I can get free wi-fi at work and from another source about 400m away and my laptop picks these up no problem and lets me search the internet a lot faster than I can 6ft away from the hub in my kitchen.
    Its almost like theres something running in the backround when connected to the sky hub thats the problem. Seriously, the wi-fi at work is ****e at the best of times so how can it be better then what I'm paying for.
    Any ideas???
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

You don't pay sky for WiFi... You pay them for an Internet connection.

Have you a smartphone?
    If so download WiFi scanner and scan the networks around you... I'd say it's likely there's a load of them on the same channel as you.

If you don't have a smartphone download inSIDDer on your laptop and use that.

Look for a quieter channel and use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Will91w

Try using the internet through a cable attached to the router instead of wifi to see if that speeds things up. If it does then it may be a problem with your signal. You could try changing the channel your wifi is on, i usually pick channel 13. It does make a difference as other networks close to you are more than likely on the same channel as the one your on now which will actually interfere with your signal.

You could also open up task manager on your pc/laptop and check to see if anything is hogging up most of your pc's resources and if so then go ahead and close it. Be careful that it's not an important task that's running before you close it as this could cause issues.

Advertisement