Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steven Gerrard leaving Liverpool?

• 01-01-2015 11:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like Gerrard is leaving Liverpool. The end of era.

https://twitter.com/tonybarrettimes/status/550770864682438656

Am I right in thinking that Pool fans have mix feelings about him going?

I wonder is he forced or decided to go on his own to MLS?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Headshot wrote: »

Is Barrett pretty reliable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

On SSN as well.

Looks like the LA Galaxy perhaps.

I'd say he's being ushered towards the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭john why

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Is Barrett pretty reliable?

He used to be very reliable but not so much now, but the Liverpool echo is running the story so id say it's a done deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭QuantumP

I don't know how he kept going after what happened last season, he's shown unbelievable mental strength. Pity he's not the player he used to be and the time is right for him to move on. I'd be very surprised if the choice wasn't his, can't imagine Rodgers would slay such a sacred cow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

john why wrote: »
    He used to be very reliable but not so much now, but the Liverpool echo is running the story so id say it's a done deal

Fair enough. Could be a case of him wanting a two-year contract and only being offered one? Or could simply be that Rodgers feels he's not going to be at the required level anymore, which wouldn't be too much of a stretch IMO. Off to earn a few quid for himself in sunnier climes - who could blame him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Probably the best player never to win the EPL.

Pity hes going to MLS, he could still do a job in the EPL I reckon. To good for MLS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Gerrard at his peak would certainly be too good for MLS.

However the Gerrard of next season and following years is not.
    Best to go earlier while he still has a little left in the tank to have a right go at MLS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

He will be 35 at the end of the season and he is past his best, still has plenty to offer but rodgers is utilising him horrifically. Hes dead right to go stateside and pick up a massive pay deal whilst probably bossing the league even at his age.

Very big summer at the club coming up, hell of a lot of young players and not much elder/experienced players around. Big transition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Probably the best player never to win the EPL.
    Need to rephrase that or I'm claiming Pele/Maradona/etc :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Bout time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

In terms of on the field matters, it doesn't disappoint me too much as he's not the player he was. It's just sad to see a club legend finally leave. So many unbelievable memories. That injury time equaliser in the Cup final in 2006 for instance.

It'll be weird seeing him play for another club, but I wish him well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Mixed feelings?... not really, his time is up as far as the PL goes. He's nowhere near as effective now as he was (even last season) and even he can see the writing is on the wall.

All legends have to leave at some point, life goes on.

Good luck to him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He'll still be a one club man and will probably go down as Liverpool's best ever. Deserved to win so much more and carried liverpool for years but stayed loyal to his home town club.

A legend and the best player to not win the league.

Wish him the very best and I'm glad he knows his time is up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

rob316 wrote: »
    He'll still be a one club man and will probably go down as Liverpool's best ever. Deserved to win so much more and carried liverpool for years but stayed loyal to his home town club.

A legend and the best player to not win the league.

Wish him the very best and I'm glad he knows his time is up.

well...no :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Would have liked to see him finish his career at Liverpool, I'm sure he feels he still has a few years left in the tank but it is probably for the best that he goes. Even this season a lot of people are getting on his back, not that he should be immune to criticism, but sad to see such a legend falling down the pecking order. The slip last season vs Chelsea was such heartbreak for him, I really thought that would be his PL title. Deserves a good ending to his career, hopefully he has similar success to Robbie Keane over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I'm by no way a fan of Liverpool or Stevie G but he has been an immense player for Liverpool and the EPL. Easily one of the best players of his generation and to have graced the league. You also have to admire him for staying at Liverpool all that time, especially after he had the chance to go to Chelsea and then saw his team fall down the pecking order.

On the other hand, I think it will be good for Liverpool and Rodgers (if he's still around) as they can really break from the past and build something new.

Can't say I'll miss him but it's impossible to ignore or belittle his ability or achievements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I'm gutted. Brendan plus Stevie for the next few years would have been nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

10898290_10152614884072887_7207338320412330537_n.jpg?oh=1f6e5e15a175d9e65219ffc107dcae7a&oe=552AF901&__gda__=1430242900_56faed86ca4c3fa6ceb8d1b5b91a2af3

Bye Bye Stevie :'(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Is this a loan move to City disguised as a move to New York City ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

B6TCdCvCIAAIJ-X.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Deserved to win more. Some player - one of the best of the PL era

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Brilliant player in his prime, but I don't understand the posts saying he deserved to win more. Probably regrets not leaving for Chelsea back then but loyalty is a rare feat in the majority of players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

With this news coming out now there's probably no chance of him slipping away at the end of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭twinytwo

nuxxx wrote: »
    Brilliant player in his prime, but I don't understand the posts saying he deserved to win more. Probably regrets not leaving for Chelsea back then but loyalty is a rare feat in the majority of players

To put this into perspective, Brian O Driscoll (as one of the greatest rugby players off all time) nearly finished he career with nothing more than a handfull of triple crowns, thankfully things came right in his twilight years.

Gerrard as a man who carried Liverpool kicking and screaming over the line so many times, for someone who was so commited to the club when anyone else with his ability would have walked.... as a once in a generation player and one of the greatest to ever play for liverpool... he defo deserved to win more than he did.

twinytwo wrote: »
    To put this into perspective, Brian O Driscoll (as one of the greatest rugby players off all time) nearly finished he career with nothing more than a handfull of triple crowns, thankfully things came right in his twilight years.

Gerrard as a man who carried Liverpool kicking and screaming over the line so many times, for someone who was so commited to the club when anyone else with his ability would have walked.... he defo deserved to win more than he did.

I understand what you're saying, but it was his decision to stay with Liverpool. Club legend and lots of memories but if he had of left for a better team he'd have won alot more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I understand what you're saying, but it was his decision to stay with Liverpool. Club legend and lots of memories but if he had of left for a better team he'd have won alot more

He also won everything with exception of the league title

naughtb4 wrote: »
    He also won everything with exception of the league title

He hasn't won anything since 2005 unless you want to include the league cup win, almost a decade in his prime years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

He hasn't won anything since 2005 unless you want to include the league cup win, almost a decade in his prime years

FA Cup in 2006

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    FA Cup in 2006

I meant the 2005/6 season. Anyway, great player in his prime, good luck to him

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

How long will we wait till they start calling him Slippy G?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

I wonder what impact Rogers has had on his decision? I'm not surprised he's leaving but he could still offer something to a top European side. He needs a manager who can manage him better than Rogers has.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I'm sure he'll continue to score pen-kicks over there too. Or whatever they call them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

glued wrote: »
    I wonder what impact Rogers has had on his decision? I'm not surprised he's leaving but he could still offer something to a top European side. He needs a manager who can manage him better than Rogers has.

Which side? His best days are behind him.

Alonso was the best Misfielder Liverpool had in the last 15 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

He seems to have his head screwed on to a degree, he wouldve known quite well that he could increase his liklihood of winnings things by moving elsewhere, but he chose against that so the 'deserved to win more' stuff doesnt really wash, as it was due to choice as opposed to bad luck with things like injury. In saying that, he realistically couldve only have gone to Chelsea in England where they have won 1 league (plus a CL) in 9 years, so not as if he forwent complete dominance elsewhere. The slip will obviously haunt him but I think looking back he'll be quite happy with how it turned out and his decision to stay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The semi retirement to America was inevitable, should have been last summer

I don't think he will be remembered as a midfield great of the last 20 years but he was still a great player in the premier league. The slip last season thoroughly pleased me as the smugness would have been unbearable had he finally won his holy grail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Luke Chadwick 1-0 Gerrard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Henderson captain??? Jebus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

The semi retirement to America was inevitable, should have been last summer

I don't think he will be remembered as a midfield great of the last 20 years but he was still a great player in the premier league. The slip last season thoroughly pleased me as the smugness would have been unbearable had he finally won his holy grail
    Maybe u don't think he will but that is insignificant.
    But he will be considered a midfield great by pretty much everyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

_46108690_gerrard466x282.jpg

Thanks Stevie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭QuantumP

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    In saying that, he realistically couldve only have gone to Chelsea in England where they have won 1 league (plus a CL) in 9 years, so not as if he forwent complete dominance elsewhere.

Good point. We all know how badly Gerrard and Lampard play together too so I'm not sure the move would have really benefited anyone involved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Great player and remembered for his great passing range and long shots.

The defining players of the premier league are slowly falling away..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

MD1990 wrote: »
    Maybe u don't think he will but that is insignificant.
    But he will be considered a midfield great by pretty much everyone.

By liverpool fans he probably will yes

The same Liverpool fans who had Mignolet down as a better goalkeeper than De Gea a year ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

The same Liverpool fans who had Mignolet down as a better goalkeeper than De Gea a year ago

I think you're being naive. He was England captain. It'll be more than Liverpool fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

What the fúck does Mignolet v De Gea got to do with Gerrard going to MLS? :confused:

QuantumP wrote: »
    I don't know how he kept going after what happened last season, he's shown unbelievable mental strength.

A lot of players have made mistakes and played on.

He has managed to turn up for his what, 200k a week? Jesus, tis hardly that unbelievable, I think I'd manage it rather very very easily.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

I suppose Ancelotti is a Liverpool fan now too.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11172505/Carlo-Ancelotti-I-tried-to-sign-Liverpools-Steven-Gerrard-for-AC-Milan-to-form-a-dream-pairing-with-Andrea-Pirlo.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Zidane thought he was one of the world's best.

I think I'd rate Zidane's opinion a bit more highly than someone like you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

As usual u go off topic. Stop embarrasing yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Liverpool / Gerrard haters will want to fixate on the slip and claim that as an apt representation of his career. However it's hard to think of Gerrard as anything other than clutch given he is the only player to have scored in each of a CL / EL / FA Cup / LC final. Even this month he nearly dragged an inept Liverpool side over the line himself against Basle.

I think it would be correct to note that his best football came as a no.10 behind Torres, but he certainly had great seasons as a box to box midfielder (won the CL in that role) and as a deep lying midfielder (was excellent last season). As such, the claim that he wasn't a great midfielder is incorrect. Though he was much more - a great footballer for a long stretch.

People are desperate to label him as a problem for Liverpool now, but I think it's easy to ignore how bad the likes of 2010 or 2012 could have been if he wasn't at the club. Ultimately he played a leading role for the club when it won trophies and the three seasons it finished 2nd (in a slightly different role each time). The club rarely surrounded him with a full compliment of strong players and when it did he stood out. And he often propped up relatively weaker versions of the side.

I think he can still contribute well if used correctly. That right boot has many goals and assists in it still; and he still has that eye for the killer pass or interchange.

Liverpool will be waiting some time for a player as good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement