Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steven Gerrard leaving Liverpool?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

So a thread about Gerrard leaving Liverpool is basically now a thread about who's better between Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes. Standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Gits_bone wrote: »
    So a thread about Gerrard leaving Liverpool is basically now a thread about who's better between Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes. Standard.

I think they were all different and all on a par, some marginally prefer others. I think most people agree.

When someone decent takes a step down, moves on or retires - it's human nature to look back on their career and compare them to other greats in a similar position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

beno619 wrote: »
    When the players are "close" it makes sense to look at thing's like trophy's one.

Failure to win a World Cup will count against Messi and Ronaldo in conversations about all time greats for example.

Snigger. Ronaldo's status as a great player will not be diminished for not winning a world cup, much like Steven Gerrards. How old are you by the way?

One more thing, one is a number.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

A discussion on a discussion forum, whatever next!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Its pretty pointless trying to compare the abilities/achievements of Scholes Vs Lampard Vs Gerrard given that the 3 played in pretty different teams.

Would Scholes or Lamps have been as effective as they were for United and Chelsea, in the Liverpool team that Gerrard plied his trade in? In the main they had excellent players around them which allowed them to flourish in their respective games, if they didn't have that level of support would they have become as lauded as they have been? Who knows.

Would Gerrard have been as prevalent in the United & Chelsea squads. In the main he was the big fish in a small pond at LFC, he had the run of the show in lackluster squads and that allowed his abilities to shine through and to become the focal point of the team. Would he have become as lauded if he had been in a team chock full of world class players? Again, who knows.

The fact remains, all 3 players were magnificent in their respective teams, trying to say which one was best is as futile as trying to count the grains of sand in the Sahara imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

He also got in the team of the year as a defensive midfielder last year. Time has caught up on him this season but it was telling that a lot of teams were man marking him this season even in this position.

Mostly bollix to be fair the English media jumped on the Pool bandwagon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

garra wrote:
    Snigger. Ronaldo's status as a great player will not be diminished for not winning a world cup, much like Steven Gerrards. How old are you by the way?

Nope it won't but in conversations it will be a mark against him in comparison to Pele and Maradona ect.

I'm 3 years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

What are all these positions that Gerrard has played so well in?

RAM/RW and CAM.

Unfortunately he played a good bit in CM but it was never his most effective position (decent last season in a withdrawn role but he was waining). He was used in CM because he was needed there I think, dont know, maybe he saw himself as a CM but he was most effective further up the pitch where the high risk balls/shots are more apt. The CM needs to be a bit more measured but I feel he often got frustrated in CM and tried to take to much on himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Never remember this excitement when Igor Biscan left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

The players voted for it its nothing tp do with the media but for some people it's only xavi iniesta and Zidane opinion that matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

The players voted for it its nothing tp do with the media but for some people it's only xavi iniesta and Zidane opinion that matters.

Zidane said on numerous occasions that he thought Gerrard was the best player in the world. This was during a time when both Scholes & Lampard were at their peak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Zidane said on numerous occasions that he thought Gerrard was the best player in the world. This was during a time when both Scholes & Lampard were at their peak.

Ziidane said a lot about alot of players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

efb wrote: »
    Ziidane said a lot about alot of players

I agree.

Just pointing it out as plenty using Zidanes praise for Scholes as proof that Scholes was the superior player to Gerrard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

RAM/RW and CAM.

Unfortunately he played a good bit in CM but it was never his most effective position (decent last season in a withdrawn role but he was waining). He was used in CM because he was needed there I think, dont know, maybe he saw himself as a CM but he was most effective further up the pitch where the high risk balls/shots are more apt. The CM needs to be a bit more measured but I feel he often got frustrated in CM and tried to take to much on himself.

I just find it a pointless exercise arguing that he was better in a load of different positions. If you're going to compare them then compare them both in their best positions. Sure Lampard could be a better goalkeeper, left back and centre back for all we know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Sure United won a few titles with awful teams if you listen to some people on here :pac:

Not awful teams but I do think Ferguson won titles with utd with certain teams that were inferior to those around him. You can not understat what Ferguson did but this is going off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Bandwagon ????

They where in such form last year no one could deny they where the best team in the land . Naive tactics towards the end and cities experience of a title race really did shine through in the end .

I just find it a pointless exercise arguing that he was better in a load of different positions. If you're going to compare them then compare them both in their best positions. Sure Lampard could be a better goalkeeper, left back and centre back for all we know.

I think that's the whole point. Comparing players that played different positions for varying times is head banging stuff.

Example comparing Gerrards one season as a playmaker to Scholes what decade?

The 3 of them are just fantastic players and should be remembered as such

The thing about all these great players saying Gerrard/Scholes etc are the best in the world is that they aren't asked "Who are the best players in the world". It's always "What do you think of Scholes?" etc.

niallo27 wrote: »
    You can not understat what Ferguson did but this is going off topic.

You can't understate what the players did either.

All 3 probably wouldn't make it into a world XI

Sky Sports would obviously have all 3 in there I'd imagine :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

You can't understate what the players did either.

I don't think any other manager would have got as much out of the players as Ferguson. Would you not agree.

I don't think any other manager would have got as much out of the players as Ferguson. Would you not agree.

Impossible to even guess. Another manager would have to have bought the same players over the same period of time and instilled the same philosophies before you could even attempt to compare.

Maybe not, but top managers always do that. You dont win leagues with bad players or bad managers.

Maybe not, but top managers always do that. You dont win leagues with bad players or bad managers.

Of course not but I can't belive how quick utd fans are to downplay what Ferguson did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Just watched the interview. If you can manage to keep your **** together you are a better man than me.

Of course not but I can't belive how quick utd fans are to downplay what Ferguson did.

It's because they think Moyes wasn't any good at all and think the collapse was all down to Moyes.

Imagine if Fergie spent 210m in 2 seasons. He'd be coasting clear at the top right now.

Who is downplaying it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Frank Lampard might have had a better career, but if I had to choose either him or Gerrard to try and win a cup final then its Gerrard every time, Gerrard definitely had more ability to directly influence a football match.

I'd take Scholes ahead of both of them, but I'd be looking for different things from him so not a direct comparison. I'd want Scholes controlling the game, with Gerrard a wildcard ahead of him.

Its hard to know where to fit Gerrard into teams though, assuming other quality is available. He shouldn't be played in the middle, but he isn't exactly prolific enough to be a proper number 10 like a Bergkamp. He is in the grey area between the lines so if you want to play him most effectively you kinda have to build the team around that. Makes me wonder if it actually was the best thing for him to stay at Liverpool, would he have been happy under Mourinho being forced to play a certain style/position? Possibly not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Bandwagon ????

They where in such form last year no one could deny they where the best team in the land . Naive tactics towards the end and cities experience of a title race really did shine through in the end .

The problem with this is, they weren't. They were definitely the best attacking side, but that's only half the game. On the other end, they conceded 50 goals which was just far too much and that defense came back to bite them in the end.

Frank Lampard might have had a better career, but if I had to choose either him or Gerrard to try and win a cup final then its Gerrard every time, Gerrard definitely had more ability to directly influence a football match.

I'd take Scholes ahead of both of them, but I'd be looking for different things from him so not a direct comparison. I'd want Scholes controlling the game, with Gerrard a wildcard ahead of him.

Its hard to know where to fit Gerrard into teams though, assuming other quality is available. He shouldn't be played in the middle, but he isn't exactly prolific enough to be a proper number 10 like a Bergkamp. He is in the grey area between the lines so if you want to play him most effectively you kinda have to build the team around that. Makes me wonder if it actually was the best thing for him to stay at Liverpool, would he have been happy under Mourinho being forced to play a certain style/position? Possibly not.

Advanced role in a midfield 3 or else in an advanced right position with licence to come in (not all the time)

• Advertisement

Who is downplaying it?

Your last post did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Who is going to wear the captains armband for the rest of the season now out of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

He did win a league.

Sorry I meant win a league for Newcastle :o

kryogen wrote: »
    Who is going to wear the captains armband for the rest of the season now out of interest?

Can't see any problem with Gerrard wearing it tbh, he's pool through and through.

Your last post did.

No it didn't. I said it's impossible to know if anyone else could have done it.

Why would they take it off him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

It's because they think Moyes wasn't any good at all and think the collapse was all down to Moyes.

Load of bollocks son, a truck load at that.

Gerrard

Load of bollocks son, a truck load at that.

Lol.

Imagine if Fergie was there last season. LVG would be accused of turning a title winning team into a team way off the pace having spent 150m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

zerks wrote: »

Everton might have to sell after Martinez gets them relegated this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Everton might have to sell after Martinez gets them relegated this season.

They would never sell to Liverpool though, and others would certainly be willing to make offers. Plus the fact that at the very, very, very least, he would cost double that in today's market.

He is on a wind up there.

I would have thought that was fairly obvious tbh.

Strange anyone would think it was serious

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I would have thought that was fairly obvious tbh.

Strange anyone would think it was serious

Especially someone that loves a wind up.

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Gerrard

Thats good, should let him see out the season with it. No reason to strip him of it just because of when he announced he's leaving or anything, deserves to wear it in his final matches at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Jamie is always winding up the Evertonians on twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

In fairness to him,he does stick up some funny stuff on twitter.Maybe Robert Huth could take some lessons from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

75k a week must be a big drop from what he gets now

Must get a lot of extras on top

75k a week must be a big drop from what he gets now

Must get a lot of extras on top

Image rights, stock options, house, car, location.

• Advertisement
Advertisement