Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steven Gerrard leaving Liverpool?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

ESPN:
    Steven Gerrard to join LA Galaxy (18-month pro-rated deal, $6m per year)

That's a fair wedge of cash for an MLS side.Have they not got some kind of rule about having a quota on "superstar players" or something to keep everyone happy when it comes to wages? Surely Robbie is already pulling in a nice wage there.Maybe somebody with a better knowledge of all things MLS will clarify this.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I would have thought that was fairly obvious tbh.

Strange anyone would think it was serious

Who thought it was serious? Are you insinuating it was me? If so you are well off the mark (as usual when you try to analyse my posts) I'm surprised you didn't mention the Mail aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

zerks wrote: »
    ESPN:

That's a fair wedge of cash for an MLS side.Have they not got some kind of rule about having a quota on "superstar players" or something to keep everyone happy when it comes to wages? Surely Robbie is already pulling in a nice wage there.Maybe somebody with a better knowledge of all things MLS will clarify this.

He will be the highest paid player in the league now.

Edit; Landon Donovan is retiring so Gerrard will take his place as a designated player wage wise.
    The average player will make $141,903.13 this year. Robbie Keane has overtaken Thierry Henry as the player with the highest base salary in the league ($4 million to Henry's $3.75 million). In an increase from last year, 62 players will make the minimum $35,125 (43 did last year).

http://www.sounderatheart.com/2013/5/6/4306550/mls-player-salaries-analysis-charts-and-tables

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Who thought it was serious? Are you insinuating it was me? If so you are well off the mark (as usual when you try to analyse my posts) I'm surprised you didn't mention the Mail aswell.

I think you have an admirer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

kryogen wrote: »
    Thats good, should let him see out the season with it. No reason to strip him of it just because of when he announced he's leaving or anything, deserves to wear it in his final matches at the club.

Henderson afaik wears the armband in games Gerrard doesn't start. When Gerrard comes on its passed to him.

Barkley for 10m? Cmon, think about that for a sec.

He's English, has talent and is young. A strong finish to the season for him and it'll probably be treble that.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

The interview is odd. His ego is so incredibly big and he says himself he cant stand not being a regular starter in the team so he will leave the sinking ship before he is rotated heavily. I think that separates him from the Giggs, Scholes' and Lampard's, who had won numerous league titles, were prepared to do what they could to win even more. Best of luck to him I suppose, I felt for him at the end he was clearly in bits

I'm off to check my doors and windows now.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

ESPN:

There's a salary cap alright. Each side can have 2 or it might be 3 players outside this bracket. Robbie Keane is one for LA and Landon Donovan was another. Donovan is retiring I think so Gerrard will take his slot as one outside the salary cap.

I'm off to check my doors and windows now.:P

Good stuff lads. Nice snide comments

At least play the ball not the man

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

If ya can't get the man get the ball was one of my old coaches philosophies.

If ya can't get the man get the ball was one of my old coaches philosophies.

Vinnie Jones?

Vinnie Jones?

Louis Spence.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Hero is a term used very loosely nowadays.

Good stuff lads. Nice snide comments

At least play the ball not the man

batman-dc-comics-joker-the-dark-knight-Favim.com-1619212.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Galaxy better not give him the armband, robbie has been unreal for them, in a tutoring role as well as on the pitch, his team influence is supposed to be very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Thats good, should let him see out the season with it. No reason to strip him of it just because of when he announced he's leaving or anything, deserves to wear it in his final matches at the club.

If he posts a smiling pic in the strip of his new club I might ask for him to be stripped of the captaincy. No hassle otherwise.

The interview is odd. His ego is so incredibly big and he says himself he cant stand not being a regular starter in the team so he will leave the sinking ship before he is rotated heavily. I think that separates him from the Giggs, Scholes' and Lampard's, who had won numerous league titles, were prepared to do what they could to win even more. Best of luck to him I suppose, I felt for him at the end he was clearly in bits

The bit about wishing he worked with Rodgers sooner was odd.Rodgers doesn't really convince when it's left to him to build his squad.All his best work seems to be built on the foundations of those before him.I think even Liverpool fans are at times doubting him at this stage.I can't see how Rodgers would have fared any better than Gerrard's previous managers had he been in charge instead of them.
    I suppose Gerrard is hardly going to say anything other than compliments about the man while still playing for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Another player wasted to the retirement paddock in the states. I'd have thought more of him if he battled for his place next season to be honest. The rest of the season is just gonna be a procession until his 'last game'. Never had anything against Gerrard at all, absolutely superb player, but it smacks a little of him wanting to protect his name rather than the bread and butter football side of it really.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Corholio wrote: »
    Another player wasted to the retirement paddock in the states. I'd have thought more of him if he battled for his place next season to be honest. The rest of the season is just gonna be a procession until his 'last game'. Never had anything against Gerrard at all, absolutely superb player, but it smacks a little of him wanting to protect his name rather than the bread and butter football side of it really.

Give it up already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Maybe he just doesn't want to sit on the bench being a bit part player. Which he probably would be next season if he stayed. Some players can adapt to that role. Others never really do. Whether it's their pride or ego or whatever it is that doesn't allow it.

I'd say he's devastated at what opposition fans think. He owes Liverpool nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I'd say he's devastated at what opposition fans think. He owes Liverpool nothing.

Never said he owed Liverpool anything, if he's gonna leave fair enough. I just think he's never had the situation where he might not be first choice anymore and it would show a lot of bottle to be still part of the squad without this comfort anymore. No one can begrudge him anything and he doesnt owe Liverpool anything either, it just would have been nice to see, that's all.

Why so much offence taken at anything Liverpool? I'm not a United fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Is there a possibility he wasn't happy with the contract offered?

Its strange seeing grown men get so upset on social media with sad faces and long winded statuses about him been a hero and a legend.

Jaysus when you really think about it..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Its strange seeing grown men get so upset on social media with sad faces and long winded statuses about him been a hero and a legend.

Jaysus when you really think about it..
    I haven't seen anything on social media more embarrassing than some posts on here between Liverpool and United fans in recent weeks. 2005 final was one of the great moments as a neutral personally so can't really get annoyed at lifelong fans of Liverpool being gutted he's leaving.

I haven't seen anything on social media more embarrassing than some posts on here between Liverpool and United fans in recent weeks. 2005 final was one of the great moments as a neutral personally so can't really get annoyed at lifelong fans of Liverpool being gutted he's leaving.
    I know it's not just this situation, i think sometimes people take players leaving little too emotional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Is there a possibility he wasn't happy with the contract offered?
    Amazing that it takes a United fan to cut to the nub of the issue.

I've just watched how emotional he was in his interview with LFCTV and it seems clear to me that he just does not want to leave.

Gerrard is a once in a life time player for this club, and we're about to let him walk out the door. The owners should be ashamed on themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Amazing that it takes a United fan to cut to the nub of the issue.

I've just watched how emotional he was in his interview with LFCTV and it seems clear to me that he just does not want to leave.

Gerrard is a once in a life time player for this club, and we're about to let him walk out the door. The owners should be ashamed on themselves.

Of course he doesn't want to leave but he's 35 in May. He isn't going to play every game anymore. He might not even play every second game. I think it's more playing time than money he's worried about. As he said himself he wishes he was 24 again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Of course he doesn't want to leave but he's 35 in May. He isn't going to play every game anymore. He might not even play every second game. I think it's more playing time than money he's worried about. As he said himself he wishes he was 24 again.

Yep, and if the owners were letting 24 year old Gerrard walk away they would deserve any criticism directed at them but it's hard to fault them in this situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I hope Gerrard makes a killing and lives a happy life with his family ourt there for a few years. Great player, hopefully the media circus around all this will die down soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Its time for him to go. He's done it with style. Cos hes a class act. Thanks skipper.

Thanks for everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭john why

We'll only know what we lost when he's gone.
    Once in a lifetime player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Is there a possibilty he wasn't happy with th contra offered?

It has to be about money, look at the game time he's getting this season and last, although he's been made the scapegoat from fans, the reason he's seeing so much game time is because at 34 he's easily better than what they have in midfield ie. Lucas, Allen, Can etc.

Bad move by pool, who else can they sell as Mr Liverpool? Sterling or sturridge, the Asian markets don't really take to black players.

That leaves Henderson, yes he's marketable but football wise he's extremely average and it kinda makes sense why he was made vice captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Oranage2 wrote: »
    It has to be about money, look at the game time he's getting this season and last, although he's been made the scapegoat from fans, the reason he's seeing so much game time is because at 34 he's easily better than what they have in midfield ie. Lucas, Allen, Can etc.

Bad move by pool, who else can they sell as Mr Liverpool? Sterling or sturridge, the Asian markets don't really take to black players.

That leaves Henderson, yes he's marketable but football wise he's extremely average and it kinda makes sense why he was made vice captain.

Tiger woods brand is huge over there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

niallo27 wrote: »
    Tiger woods brand is huge over there

Well he is half Asian and I'm living in Asia for over 2 years and have never seen anything with him on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Well he is half Asian and I'm living in Asia for over 2 years and have never seen anything with him on it.

Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Non sense and one of the most ridiculous point made in soccer forum.

Have heard this "greatest player in Premier League without a winners medal" a lot.

Great player, but no Shearer. And would also put Klinsmann and Zola ahead, but I like the flair players and strikers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Have heard this "greatest player in Premier League without a winners medal" a lot.

Great player, but no Shearer. And would also put Klinsmann and Zola ahead, but I like the flair players and strikers.

Does Shearer not have a medal???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

There's nothing forgotten more than Alan Shearer and Blackburn having a Premier League title to their name.

killwill wrote: »

You'd be amazed the amount of people don't know this.

I put it down to age probably most of the time as it was 20 years ago

Gerrard is the best English premier league player without a winners medal!

Im a United fan but even I am tired of seeing that joke on this thread let alone everywhere else!

I'm not going to even bother get in the debate of who was better between Gerrard, Scholes and Lampard but it goes without saying that in their prime they would have walked into any team during the PL era.
    And IMO that includes United's team of 98/99 and the Arsenal Invincible team too.

Im a United fan but even I am tired of seeing that joke on this thread let alone everywhere else!

Huh?

What's the joke? I said Gerrard was not as good as Shearer, it was pointed out that the latter has a winners medal, so I then said fair enough, he may be the best English PL player without a winners medal.

Huh?

What's the joke? I said Gerrard was not as good as Shearer, it was pointed out that the latter has a winners medal, so I then said fair enough, he may be the best English PL player without a winners medal.

Maybe I misinterpreted what you wrote.
    Why would you compare a striker to a player who is not a striker?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭RickyOFlaherty

Paul Gascoigne at his short peak was a better player. Bobby Moore. I'm sure there are more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Paul Gascoigne at his short peak was a better player. Bobby Moore. I'm sure there are more.

Gazza played only 73 Premier League games, all after the age of 30 so hard to say he was a better PL player.

Bobby Moore was 50 when the PL started.

Benimar wrote: »
    Gazza played only 73 Premier League games, all after the age of 30 so hard to say he was a better PL player.

Bobby Moore was 50 when the PL started.

Football existed pre Sky believe it or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Non sense and one of the most ridiculous point made in soccer forum.

You could write that about anything.

But do you care to offer an opinion as to why you don't agree ?

Advertisement