Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steven Gerrard leaving Liverpool?

1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Football existed pre Sky believe it or not

Yes it did. I'm one of the few on here who can remember it!

However the poster clearly stated that Gerrard was the best English PREMIER league player without a medal, therefore only August 1992 to date counts in the discussion of his description.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Football existed pre Sky believe it or not

That was his point no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

killwill wrote: »
    but it goes without saying that in their prime they would have walked into any team during the PL era.
    And IMO that includes United's team of 98/99 and the Arsenal Invincible team too.

Gerrard most certainly would not have walked onto that team.

The midfield of Giggs, Keane, Scholes and Beckham was not only world class but also incredibly balanced, none of those four are ever getting dropped for Gerrard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Gascoigne ahead of Gerrard is ludicrous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

The midfield of Giggs, Keane, Scholes and Beckham was not only world class but also incredibly balanced, none of those four are ever getting dropped for Gerrard.

Nicky Butt played as many league games as Scholes and giggs that year.

Gerrard would have played many games for that team

• Advertisement

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Nicky Butt played as many league games as Scholes and giggs that year.

Gerrard would have played many games for that team

He would have been a fine back up no question, buts that not what the OP said, he said Gerrard would have walked onto the team, which can only mean first choice and which simply isnt true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

He would have been a fine back up no question, buts that not what the OP said, he said Gerrard would have walked onto the team, which can only mean first choice and which simply isnt true.

But your first choice wasn't the first choice, he would play more games then not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

You could write that about anything.

But do you care to offer an opinion as to why you don't agree ?

Strange that you even ask for an explanation. Point made was "the Asian markets don't really take to black players" which is ridiculous.

If player is talented and club knows how to use him as poster boy then they can easily use them as marketing tool.

Ronaldo (Brazilian) is a huge star is Asia, so is most of the 2002 Brazilian team. Ronaldinho was a huge star. Evra had so many fans because of Park.

Apart from football there is Cricket. Face of Indian cricket is Dhoni and he isn't white is he? The poster boy of Indian cricket for a decade. Then we have movies. South Indian movie stars are not fair but still excellent marketing is done most Asian countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

Does Gerrard leaving mean Brendan will be left homeless?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Im a United fan but even I am tired of seeing that joke on this thread let alone everywhere else!

I'm not going to even bother get in the debate of who was better between Gerrard, Scholes and Lampard but it goes without saying that in their prime they would have walked into any team during the PL era.
    And IMO that includes United's team of 98/99 and the Arsenal Invincible team too.

Not the utd team with scholes and keane in a midfield 2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    If he posts a smiling pic in the strip of his new club I might ask for him to be stripped of the captaincy. No hassle otherwise.

Doubt he would do that, he won't be signing a pre contract will he so doubt there will be any need for a photo op at all. Certainly not in the strip anyway, has that been done by someone before?

Wouldn't have thought it would be possible, even if they sign a pre contract they are still registered to another club so wearing a future teams kit would be a bit mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Is there a possibility he wasn't happy with the contract offered?

That and his squad role I would think are huge factors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

That is a very fair point and I do retract that one.
    I forgot how that Keane/Scholes partnership worked so well.
    It was nearly telepathic at times.

Benimar wrote: »
    Yes it did. I'm one of the few on here who can remember it!

However the poster clearly stated that Gerrard was the best English PREMIER league player without a medal, therefore only August 1992 to date counts in the discussion of his description.

Apologies, didn't see the Premier bit of the post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Is it just me or has Scholes taking on a Jesus like status since he retired.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

niallo27 wrote: »

blessed be the son of Fowler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Yeah, he's exactly like Jesus. Everybody in Nazareth knew how important Jesus was, it was only years after he died, through preaching, that it became apparent to the rest of the world.

We are spreading the word of the ginger messiah, we hope that you accept him into your soul.

Its probably just you.

If you wish to imply his legacy is overstated then you are grasping at straws. Supporters don't just pick a player and start to deify him for no good reason, if a players reputation increases after retirement it is because time passing allows people to fully appreciate how good he was. Players who are simply good just fade away, the true greats become appreciated more than ever.

Yeah, it's exactly like Jesus. Everybody in Nazereth knew how important Jesus was, it was only years after he died, through preaching, that it became apparent to the rest of the world.

We are spreading the word of the ginger messiah, we hope that you accept him into your soul.

He was no good at the end of a cross though. I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Scholes was seen as an excellent PL midfielder until he got injured with the vision problem in 05. It was his performances from 06-08, where he dominated games in his 30 and played at his highest level, that people started to argue he was the best PL midfielder ever. If anything the detractors have only started coming in the last 2-3 years

• Advertisement

Coming back from retirement and performing at the level he did, saving United's season too was like something from a movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Coming back from retirement and performing at the level he did, saving United's season too was like something from a movie

The resurrection...

The resurrection...

I personally was embarrassed about him coming back. Thought he was a spent force.
    As did alot of our rival fans hear if I recall correctly.
    By did he prove us wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

So the LA Galaxy coach has now confirmed Gerrard is going there: http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30713430

You'd really have to wonder what his motives are for going there. Fair enough if he doesnt want to go to another English club but why not move to another of the top European leagues to try and win a league title? Look at Alonso last season going to Munich. Players that age can still get moves to top clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Hard to turn down LA, I'd imagine, even as an image, a lifestyle choice, its better than pretty much anywhere Europe can offer without the difficulties of having his family learning a new language for what will probably be 2 or 3 year period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

LA's an absolute ****hole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

AdamD wrote: »
    LA's an absolute ****hole

Not if you have money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

L.A is awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

He's sick of having Balotelli, lambert and borini n front of him wasting chances.

It'll be nice to have a natural finisher like Robbie Keane to get on the end of chances

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

He's sick of having Balotelli, lambert and borini n front of him wasting chances.

It'll be nice to have a natural finisher like Robbie Keane to get on the end of chances

But what about when Keane was at Liverpool though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

But what about when Keane was at Liverpool though?

Keane scored more goals for Liverpool than Balotelli, Lambert and Borini combined

Why didn't he leave when he had ngog up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Why didn't he leave when he had ngog up front.

Ngog was only a sub usually , they had Torres then

Advertisement