Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steven Gerrard leaving Liverpool?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Stevie G in the MLS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

lads and lasses, it's fine to debate Stevie's merits as a great, but trolling will not be tolerated...especially shít that will encourage a Liverpool/Utd clusterfúck.

You have been warned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

FA Cup 2001
    League Cup 2001
    UEFA Cup 2001
    European Cup 2005
    FA Cup 2006
    League Cup 2012

League Cup runners up 2005
    European Cup Runner Up 2007
    FA Cup Runner Up 2012

Be nice if he could go out with one more gong.

Augmerson wrote: »
    Zidane thought he was one of the world's best.

I think I'd rate Zidane's opinion a bit more highly than someone like you.

He was blowing smoke up a lot of people's asses tbf

Some bitterness in here it must be said. The guy has had a fantastic career, best of luck to him.

It will be interesting to see where he goes next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Summed up best from a tweet from Terry McDermott earlier - when you consider the mediocre Liverpool sides that Gerrard played in, and that he dragged trophies out of, then he is arguably the best player in Liverpool's history.

For this alone, the man is a legend

gerrard-v-olympiakos-o.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

By liverpool fans he probably will yes

The same Liverpool fans who had Mignolet down as a better goalkeeper than De Gea a year ago

Three different seasons:

UEFA footballer of the year
    PFA Player's player of the year
    FWA Player of the year

UEFA team of the year three times
    FIFA team of the year three times
    PFA team of the year eight times

Not just Liverpool fans recognise him as a great player but your hate is nontheless cute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

FA Cup 2001
    League Cup 2001
    UEFA Cup 2001
    European Cup 2005
    FA Cup 2006
    League Cup 2012

League Cup runners up 2005
    European Cup Runner Up 2007
    FA Cup Runner Up 2012

Be nice if he could go out with one more gong.

Or 3 more! Spirit of 2001

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Gerrard was a great player. Hated how good he invariably was against Utd and he was one of a select few that could raise his game above the level of his team on the biggest occasions. I remember wishing that it was within the realms of possibility that he would have considered us when his loyalty to Pool wavered in 2005. Keane was gone and Gerrard would have slotted in nicely. Was never going to happen obviously.

I can't help but feel that even though he is not having the best time of it recently, he still has a lot to offer Liverpool. Rodgers' management of his gametime and positioning is in stark contrast to what Fergie did with his old timers, however, so it's probably time to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

A lot of players have made mistakes and played on.

He has managed to turn up for his what, 200k a week? Jesus, tis hardly that unbelievable, I think I'd manage it rather very very easily.

A lot of players also don't bother turning up for their what, 200k a week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

efb wrote: »
    He was blowing smoke up a lot of people's asses tbf

Zidane? Fair enough.

How about Pele? Ancelotti?

Even Ferguson highly regarded Gerrard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Gerrard was a great player. Hated how good he invariably was against Utd

Really? His overall performances against United is usually used as a stick to beat him with by the 'haters'. Had an overall good record of performance in the biggest games tbf, international aside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Great servant to that club up there with all the greats on merseyside but the timing of this is all wrong

Zidane? Fair enough.

How about Pele? Ancelotti?

Even Ferguson highly regarded Gerrard.

Pah, posters on here are regarded more highly than those names you speak of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

B6TYBETCAAAXUXB.jpg

• Advertisement

If Gerrard goes to the MLS, loaned to City and wins the BPL would United fans be upset much?

glued wrote: »
    Just a quick question for Liverpool supporters; where do you feel Gerrard played his best football and did that coincide with Liverpool playing better as a team?

10 behind Torres. Lethal.

But he was some man for dragging results out of poor performances. Nearly more impressive than when the team as a whole played well.

That free kick v Basel this season. Wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Zidane thought he was one of the world's best.

I think I'd rate Zidane's opinion a bit more highly than someone like you.

For around two seasons, probably a bit less, he was one of the best performing yes, but a great of the last 20 years.. doesn't do it for me.

Zidane himself, Pirlo, Scholes, Xavi etc Gerrard will be remembered as a level below at the end of the day.

Torres was arguably the best forward in the world over a period of 2 years but I wouldn't put him down as a great of the past 10-20 years with the company he would have in that timeframe.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Really? His overall performances against United is usually used as a stick to beat him with by the 'haters'. Had an overall good record of performance in the biggest games tbf, international aside

Not how I remember it at all. Liverpool had an unusually good (relative to other teams) record against us in the last 10 years and Gerrard was often excellent in those games. 10 goals against us as a midfielder is pretty impressive considering we were invariably top 2 in the league in his time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,640 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm not a Liverpool fan but he is a legend at that club, tremendous player, will be a big loss

• Advertisement

I'd rate Gerrard above Scholes, as he did it at international level, and he could tackle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

If Gerrard goes to the MLS, loaned to City and wins the BPL would United fans be upset much?

Meh, the fun came from him dragging Liverpool so close to catching us but ultimately failing.

If he gets one with City, whatever. They only have 3 or 4 titles anyway.

Wonder if he would go to City though? I could see it.

Not how I remember it at all. Liverpool had an unusually good (relative to other teams) record against us in the last 10 years and Gerrard was often excellent in those games. 10 goals against us as a midfielder is pretty impressive considering we were invariably top 2 in the league in his time.

I thought liverpool only finished 2nd twice??? (in the BPL)

J. Marston wrote: »
    Meh, the fun came from him dragging Liverpool so close to catching us but ultimately failing.

If he gets one with City, whatever. They only have 3 or 4 titles anyway.

Wonder if he would go to City though? I could see it.

He'd have all the medals.

I thought liverpool only finished 2nd twice??? (in the BPL)

2002, 2009, 2013

For around two seasons, probably a bit less, he was one of the best performing yes, but a great of the last 20 years.. doesn't do it for me.

Zidane himself, Pirlo, Scholes, Xavi etc Gerrard will be remembered as a level below at the end of the day.

Torres was arguably the best forward in the world over a period of 2 years but I wouldn't put him down as a great of the past 10-20 years with the company he would have in that timeframe.

Fair enough that's your opinion and I respect that. I still believe you're being naive to expect everybody else who isn't a Liverpool supporter to feel the same. Just my feeling having heard some of the outside praise over the years but sure we'll see. I think his time as England captain, getting an MBE etc won over a few non- Liverpool England fans. Not saying you're wrong, just a tad naive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Thank You, Steven Gerrard.

A Liverpool Great and In the words of Andy Gray.

OHHHH YA BEAUTYYYYYYYYY!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Before the inevitable revisionism begins during his peak years there isn't a club in world football that wouldn't have liked Gerrard in their team if there was any realistic way of getting him. An absolutely brilliant player during his prime.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    2002, 2009, 2013

apologies, 3 times in 14 years they were 2nd, they were never 1st, so how does that make them top 2????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

2002, 2009, 2013

2014 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

This is why we cannot have nice things. Squabbling and petty tit for tat nonsense as usual.

apologies, 3 times in 14 years they were 2nd, they were never 1st, so how does that make them top 2????

You misread his post I think. He was saying Utd were usually top 2 and Liverpool's record against them was impressive on that basis.

Unlikely to happen. New York City have Villa and Lampard. They'd have to pay a quarter million for a 3rd designated player slot to just get Gerrard in the door.

I'd say he'll be Galaxy bound

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Unlikely to happen. New York City have Villa and Lampard. They'd have to pay a quarter million for a 3rd designated player slot to just get Gerrard in the door.

I'd say he'll be Galaxy bound

New York do not have a contract with Lampard.

You misread his post I think. He was saying Utd were usually top 2 and Liverpool's record against them was impressive on that basis.

oh right, makes more sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

brevity wrote: »
    This is why we cannot have nice things. Squabbling and petty tit for tat nonsense as usual.

That's just the way it goes, people don't forget around here, have a look at the Giggs retirement thread, it's the same only the roles are reversed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Is there some arbitrary number you're using to limit the number of "greats" or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

brevity wrote: »

It's a bit sad, really, but what do you expect? 75% of the thread title is Steven Gerrard and Liverpool.

That, and schools aren't back yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

I do think he tried to take too much on himself and for pretty much all of his career wasn't able to control the tempo of games. Talented yes, but not always disciplined enough tactically, thrived under rafa though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Very sad to hear this. One of the most enjoyable players I've ever seen in his prime and I think he's the best all round player to play in the league. Others can say what they want but it won't change my mind, on his day there are few names in history that were more effective and influential in the game.

He carried Liverpool so many times both in Europe and England. That whole Champions League winning campaign and the FA Cup final against West Ham will always stand out. My brother and auld lad are avid Liverpool fans so I saw him play quite a bit in his prime and I always was in awe of his passion and ability. I'm not ashamed to say I have an old Liverpool jersey with Gerrard 8 on the back either somewhere.

Although he's not retiring we're losing one of the all time great players. What a champ Stevie. Please join Frank at City and we'll make sure you get your league winning medal :pac:. Ah but no absolute hero and a perfect role model for any young fella. Cheers for all the memories Stevie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

The Soccer Saturday lads recently picked him in their best XI of the Premier League era ahead of Scholes, Keane etc.
    Is a legend and will be a loss.

Gits_bone wrote: »
    New York do not have a contract with Lampard.

He is still down as one of their 2 designated players for the upcoming season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Very good player, world class behind the striker during the Torres years.

I wonder Why he's going state side is he having money troubles or something? Anyway Liverpool without gerrard just doesn't feel right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

He is still down as one of their 2 designated players for the upcoming season.

I think his contact is owned by an umbrella city football group or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Its the mark of a great player when rival fans used to hate seeing his name on the teamsheet for the big games and for years I hated seeing him take the pitch against United. He was one of a select few Liverpool Players I can honestly say was top quality his whole career and as much as I despised him and hoped he retired, he was pretty alright at kicking a ball.
    Mr. Liverpool is leaving them and they'd be lucky to find a player half Gerarrd's ability ever again..

#That being said, he's a deplorable person and assaults people in nightclubs and what a Captain fantastic thing to do, announce a big money move away to the MLS while his team is struggling in the PL.
    (Sorry lads, ye torpedo'd the Giggs and Vida goodbyes, had to be said)

xoxo Gossip Goat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Amazed at the usual club squabbling going on in here.
    Are people so narrow minded to think that only their clubs had "great" players.
    Do Utd fans think that an at his peak Gerrard would not have walked into an at its peak Utd team? Of course he would have. Narrow minded to think otherwise.

I think his contact is owned by an umbrella city football group or something.

Somebody can correct me, but I don't think that this is relevant to the designated player rule. Lampard is declared as a designated player for New York. Who his contract is with doesn't matter if New York declare him, as far as I'm aware. Open to correction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,949 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I love the whole 'he started it' mentality in here too, didn't realise this was a forum of 8 year-olds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Very good player, world class behind the striker during the Torres years.

I wonder Why he's going state side is he having money troubles or something? Anyway Liverpool without gerrard just doesn't feel right.

Lifestyle choice probably. If I was a pro footballer in my mid thirties and winding down, I'd probably choose the MLS as a chance of living in America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Which side? His best days are behind him.

Alonso was the best Misfielder Liverpool had in the last 15 years

No he wasn't - far from it, and I'm an Alonso fan. Alonso had a mixed career at Liverpool. A great first season, a good second and third season, a poor fourth and after a kick up the ass - he had a better final season.

Teams had simply figured to close him down to stop any Liverpool midfield play. It didn't help that a shift in tactics at the team negated the need for a deep lying playmaker - but to say that Alonso was a better midfielder for Liverpool in last 15 years than Gerrard is simply untrue.

Sadly he played his best football away from Liverpool.

• Advertisement
Advertisement