Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steven Gerrard leaving Liverpool?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

murpho999 wrote: »
    Amazed at the usual club squabbling going on in here.
    Are people so narrow minded to think that only their clubs had "great" players.
    Do Utd fans think that an at his peak Gerrard would not have walked into an at its peak Utd team? Of course he would have. Narrow minded to think otherwise.
    This is where many will disagree. At it's peak, United's midfield had Scholes and Keane, two of our best ever players. He would have walked into it post 04, however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

zAbbo wrote: »
    No he wasn't - far from it, and I'm an Alonso fan. Alonso had a mixed career at Liverpool. A great first season, a good second and third season, a poor fourth and after a kick up the ass - he had a better final season.

Teams had simply figured to close him down to stop any Liverpool midfield play. It didn't help that a shift in tactics at the team negated the need for a deep lying playmaker - but to say that Alonso was a better midfielder for Liverpool in last 16 years than Gerrard is simply untrue.

Sadly he played his best football away from Liverpool.

I didn't say he was better for Liverpool, just that he was the best Midfielder.

Alonso oozed class. Rafa fcuked it up to get Gareth Barry...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I do think he tried to take too much on himself and for pretty much all of his career wasn't able to control the tempo of games.

He was never that type of player though despite functionally being a midfielder. It's like saying a striker or attacking midfielder didn't control the tempo of a game. His game was all about explosive moments, big goals, etc.

Never really understood why people expected him to be like Xavi or Pirlo. They played in a similar area of the field but were completely different.

Gits_bone wrote: »
    What awful tripe. How can this be allowed. Openly admitting they're causing shíte because it happened in vidics and giggs.

Terry rode his team mates wife
    Giggs banged his brothers wife
    Gerrard punched someone.

So what?

Most footballers would be on Jeremy Kyle if they couldnt play football.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Gerrard was unable to adapt to a deeper position unlike Scholes.

Scholes was only in his deep position 4 or 5 years. Before that he was playing the role Gerrard played his best stuff in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I'm glad to see the back of him.

It's a complement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Good to see cards being shown and posts deleted. Awful the way the thread is being hijacked by some. Such a shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,949 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I also find it incredibly odd that some United fans come in here with the intention of talking shìte because they feel the Giggs thread wasn't moderated properly and yet they seem outraged when they get carded. Is this not what you want? A properly moderated thread where trolls get dealt with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Ah, so that's why he was found not guilty.

didnt see the video?

Who will captain pool next year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

efb wrote: »
    I didn't say he was better for Liverpool, just that he was the best Midfielder.

Alonso oozed class. Rafa fcuked it up to get Gareth Barry...

Eh you kinda did. And that's terrible logic. Does than mean Ronaldo is Sporting's best player ever or Roy Keane is Celtic's best player ever? Not only is Gerrard Liverpool's best midfielder in history by a staggering margin but at the very least a top 3 player for the club of all time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

As a United fan I always had huge respect for Steven Gerrard. We had a hero in Turin in 99 in Roy Keane. Liverpool had one that night in Istanbul in Steven Gerrard. He got that game by the scruff of the neck in the second half, a real leader.
    The fact England couldn't make a successful team in an era when he and Scholes were in their prime was nothing to do with either player or indeed Frank Lampard - it was all down to rubbish managers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

didnt see the video?

Well Henderson is the vice captain at the moment. Actually think he's the most likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

didnt see the video?

I say the most capped captain for England at U21 and current vice captain Jordan Henderson

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Well Henderson is the vice captain at the moment. Actually think he's the most likely.

He would do a good job too...the lad has grow well in the last couple of seasons.

Henderson, it was his suspension that hurt liverpool's title run in there most

Eh you kinda did. And that's terrible logic. Does than mean Ronaldo is Sporting's best player ever or Roy Keane is Celtic's best player ever? Not only is Gerrard Liverpool's best midfielder in history by a staggering margin but at the very least a top 3 player for the club of all time.

there's a difference in being the best player at a team to the best player for a team

Henderson, it was his suspension that hurt liverpool's title run in there most

Agreed. Of course the slip will be remembered by the childish ones but anyone with a brain knows that Hendo's absence is what cost them the title.

there's a difference in being the best player at a team to the best player for a team

Agreed and Xabi was neither for Liverpool at his time there. He could have won ten Ballon D'Or's after he left Liverpool and it still wouldn't change it. He was never a better player than Gerrard at Liverpool.

Agreed and Xabi was neither for Liverpool at his time there. He could have won ten Ballon D'Or's after he left Liverpool and it still wouldn't change it. He was never a better player than Gerrard at Liverpool.

He wasn't used correctly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Good playerno doubt about time he moved he should have moved years ago he would have won a lot maybe even a league title

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Should he have really moved on last season?

He scored a lot of goals albeit mainly from the peno spot and pool nearly won the league.

Looks like fsg don't want to offer him a big contract and he can get big money abroad, shame he could play the totti role, cup games and a few minutes here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Great player in his prime, IMO he can still play vital role in Liverpool's campaign but needs to pick his games properly something that Fergie did excellently with Ferdinand and Giggs.

In the last few years he was fantastic against ManUtd. IMO there are only few players who can go extra mile in these heated games and Gerrard is surely one of them as he more than anyone knows what it means to Liverpool, the derby games and games against biggest rivals.

It's somewhat easy to spot a good player but players like Gerrard, Neville, Terry (not comparing their ability) are different as they know more than anyone what it means to represent club. They are fans as much as they are players.

I don't think there is anyone in this Liverpool side who can captain their side like Gerrard or command respect of all the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

Stevie G is one of the top ten EPL players ever. No doubt what he has done. Liverpool for many years would not really challenge but on their day were capable of beating everyone and a lot of that came from have Gerrard playing for them.

great captain, scorer of great goals and always turned up for finals.

Regards lampard in NYC. he is a designated player for them. the slary whoever pays it is irrelevant as it is outside thier salary cap. They wont sign Stevie G.

Galaxy will be favorites as have to replace the hole left by Donovan retiring and Beckham as such was not replaced. red bulls may have a chance now Henry is gone. he may also spring up at somewhere like Orlando but they would have to pay as they have Bryan Rochez although im sure he could be reworked inside the salary cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Withouth doubt the greatest liverpool player ever to wear the jersey unfortunately I'm old enough to remember Kenny playing for us and yes he was great but surrounded by great players .
    Stevie carried this club for years and won games single handed
    Thanks for the moments and memories Stevie
    Very sad day for me but the time is right probably should have left before this season
    Our greatest ever red

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

The bad thing for Liverpool, as a club, is that there's no "big time Scouser" left - like Gerrard or Carragher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

The bad thing for Liverpool, as a club, is that there's no "big time Scouser" left - like Gerrard or Carragher.

You're forgetting Scouse Cafu when hes back from injury ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Vicxas wrote: »
    You're forgetting Scouse Cafu when hes back from injury ;)

And Ricky Lambert ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Personally don't think gerrard was the greatest ever Liverpool player, would say Dalglish myself, but different era's.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

So will we see him do a lampard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Had wrote a few posts for this, deleting them all. As much as I try be honest and provide my opinion, it will no doubt cause some butthurt from Liverpool fans, and might even be construed as trolling (although it definitly wasnt)

All I can say is that probably one of the clubs roughest decisions to make has been made, by whom it doesn't matter. A tremendous servant to his club and year after year raised mediocre teams and teammates around him to achieve more then they should. (even if it was just a higher league place).

• Advertisement

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Great player in his prime, IMO he can still play vital role in Liverpool's campaign but needs to pick his games properly something that Fergie did excellently with Ferdinand and Giggs.

In the last few years he was fantastic against ManUtd. IMO there are only few players who can go extra mile in these heated games and Gerrard is surely one of them as he more than anyone knows what it means to Liverpool, the derby games and games against biggest rivals.

Gerrard got booked or something in the 3-0 win recently, and a few of us were like " holy **** didn't even realise he was playing".

Gerrard was always the person I feared most when United played Liverpool. On paper there was rarely a Liverpool team that was in anyway equal or you'd feel we couldn't hammer, but with Gerrard in the team you just knew it was going to be a rough encounter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

phenom wrote: »
    So will we see him do a lampard?

he has said in his statement that he won't line out, competitively, against Pool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I think Gerard was too loyal to Liverpool, bit like Le Tissier at Southampton. He should have been more selfish. I know people will commend him for his loyalty but what did he owe Liverpool? He won them lots of trophies and should have went to a bigger club when he had the chance. Waste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

lordgoat wrote: »
    I'm sure he'll continue to score pen-kicks over there too. Or whatever they call them.

Free goal shot from the 12 circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

I'd say a good chunk of the people who are saying Gerrard is the best Liverpool player ever, were probably not watching Liverpool in the 70's and 80's. As has been said, different eras, etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭IP freely

he has said in his statement that he won't line out, competitively, against Pool.

Lampard said the same. He even said when he was loaned to city he wouldn't play against Chelsea, he scored against Chelsea this season already!

Didn't Gerrard say he was leaving in 2005 also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

aodea wrote: »
    Stevie G is one of the top ten EPL players ever.

Interestingly, Gerrard was not one of the first ten players selected in the current boards Premier league draft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Gerrard has left me with many fond memories over the years, my son is heart broken today.
    I don't begrudge him his pay day and he can still perform to a decent standard for a good number of years in the MLS.
    Will probably come back in some sort of ambassador capacity, not sure if he's coach / manager material (yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

So he could go to a champions league team :pac:

Of course he's going to say that, If he goes to the mls he will be loaned back somewhere until xmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Grayditch wrote: »
    The fücking state of that post.

Its also been dealt with, move on.

Also, please people, I've deleted them all now i think, but stop quoting posts that have been reported/dealt with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If I recall Vidic got slated for announcing his move at a similar time when his team were struggling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Interestingly, Gerrard was not one of the first ten players selected in the current boards Premier league draft.

He'll be gutted about that I'd say......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

AdamD wrote: »
    If I recall Vidic got slated for announcing his move at a similar time when his team were struggling?

He did,but this fella seems to have some sort of immunity from criticism.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

kfallon wrote: »
    He'll be gutted about that I'd say......

I would doubt he will even be aware of it, but then you know that.

AdamD wrote: »

What really tipped me over about vidic was the smiling photographs with Inter representatives, when we were mid season and he was having a shocking campaign.

I think it's poor form for any player to be out having PR shoots with his next club, while currently employed at his current club, especially when they are floundering ( and not withstanding its your captain)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

zerks wrote: »
    He did,but this fella seems to have some sort of immunity from criticism.:rolleyes:

If Gerrard gets pictured in an LA Galaxy shirt next month, he'll get criticism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

SlickRic wrote: »

Absolutely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Samoa Joe

How much more would he expect to earn in MLS rather than staying another year at Liverpool?

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »

It will be worse when he's pictured with a man city shirt in August

Advertisement