Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steven Gerrard leaving Liverpool?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

bennyl10 wrote: »
    The other 3 though,
    I'd have Scholes, Keane, Lampard and Vieira all above Gerrard in any list

Gerrard is without a doubt a phenomenal footballer, and will be remembered as a Liverpool great, but i just don't think he's in the same bracket..

They're not all similar players so it's tricky to compare them but I think he's as good as any midfielder we've ever seen in the league. What did they have that Gerrard didn't?...inb4 dumb@sses saying winning league medals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

They're not all similar players so it's tricky to compare them but I think he's as good as any midfielder we've ever seen in the league. What did they have that Gerrard didn't?...inb4 dumb@sses saying winning league medals.

It's too hard to categorise midfielders that way. Scholes was nothing like Keane, Gerrard was nothing like Vieira. All great midfielders and each set of fans would have their own as best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,799 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Gotta admit, am feeling pretty old the past few years with all of "my generation" players moving on/retiring.
    Not far of Gerrards' age myself and have "grown up" with him and that generation of players.

You've got to admire him - at his best an absolutely brilliant player and has scored some critical goals for Liverpool over the years when they most needed it.
    His "partnership" with Torres was a joy to watch and his "effort" never questionable.

Good luck Stevie G

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I don't think Gerrard was as good as them but I don't think that's a discredit to him either

He was still a fantastic player and one of my favourites to watch in the premier league, post Scholes and Keane era I would have welcomed him to United with open arms, we could have had 1 or 2 champions leagues more if a player like him had been in the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Great player and the end of an era really, he is the last in the line of an old breed of player very rarely produced now in world football.

Best of luck to him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

An ordinary player leaving a mid-table club.. What's all the fuss about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I'd rate Gerrard ahead of Scholes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

This thread is filterastic. :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Nib wrote: »

Yawn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

XXXX is better than XXXX blah blah blah. These threads on this forum are head banging stuff. I would love to know some of the ages on this forum as if some of you are out of your teens you should be ashamed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Mostly they had far superior players around them.

Gerrard's flaws are well known but, as I said last night, the fact he stood out to a greater extent the seasons Liverpool actually put together a somewhat useful XI is important to bear in mind. The fact that he was put in the middle in shaky XIs for many of his 17 seasons meant that his weaknesses were exacerbated and he became more of a 'clutch moments' player. If you take Scholes or Lampard, most seasons they played in teams in and around as strong as Liverpool 08 / 09. It would be foolish to ignore how much this would have helped them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Gerrard.... single handedly rescue and win games like Istanbul !

Didi says hello ....

1346702047_0.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Like Chelsea or Madrid, when he was on the verge of Leaving, is i'm sure what was meant.

Madrid are a bigger club than Liverpool. You cant even attempt to deny that. While in recent years, Chelsea have been substantially more succesful!

One club player also? Hes leaving, jumping ship, going elsewhere etc..
    so he'll have been a two club player ..

Gerrard will be remembered as a Liverpool great, in terms of Premier Legue greats, even just in midfield, imo, he falls behind Lampard, Scholes, Keane, Viera and maybe even Toure..

I think the only people never tempted were the likes of Le Tiss or Paul Scholes, most other "one club" players will have looked elsewhere at some stage, even if just as a negotiating tactic for a better deal, it shouldn't be held against them. Gerrard could have gone anywhere and probably had a more trophy laden career, but he didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

efb wrote: »
    I'd rate Gerrard ahead of Scholes

Nah,he couldn't control the tempo of a game like Scholes,in fairness very few could.

Gerrard had many ordinary games but in those had one hollywood moment that masked the mediocre.Not saying he was a bad player but wasn't a typical midfielder ala Keane,Alonso or Scholes.All who managed him had difficulty finding his best position.He hadn't the discipline to play the Scholes role but was lauded for this with his bursts forward but this left others to fill in behind as he ignored his defensive duties.The term "Stevie Me",pretty much stemmed from this.He always tried to do it all & be the headline maker & at times to the detriment of the team as a whole.

zerks wrote: »
    Nah,he couldn't control the tempo of a game like Scholes,in fairness very few could.

Gerrard had many ordinary games but in those had one hollywood moment that masked the mediocre.Not saying he was a bad player but wasn't a typical midfielder ala Keane,Alonso or Scholes.All who managed him had difficulty finding his best position.He hadn't the discipline to play the Scholes role but was lauded for this with his bursts forward but this left others to fill in behind as he ignored his defensive duties.The term "Stevie Me",pretty much stemmed from this.He always tried to do it all & be the headline maker & at times to the detriment of the team as a whole.

Oh, the hate is strong in this one.

He must have had so many people fooled over the years eh, with his one hollywood moment every now and again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

You must be the brains of the operation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

He is, to date, the only footballer in history to have scored a goal in an FA Cup Final, a League Cup Final, a UEFA Cup Final and a Champions League Final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

face-slap.gif

Actually one B Slap not enough

vHtMR.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

A good player but not a great player, Bill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Arguing that Keane was a better player than Gerrard or a bigger impact to UTD than Gerard was to Liverpool is fair enough we could go back and forth on that ,but stating he was "far better" big match player is ludicrous. One might suspect you never watched either player play.

Keanes strength was his consistency ,his belief that every match was important, demanding that those around him perpare and put in as much effort at Home to Hull as away to Madrid, not big moments in big games ,kind of player at all (Juve game the exception that proves the rule)
    Stevie G was the big game big impact kind of player and did it on so many occasions.

That statement alone surely suggests that Keane was better so. Consistancy is the greatest trait a player can have, not a flash in the pan moment to mask inconsistency. Which is why Ronaldo and Messi are two of the best of all-time, being consistently, devastatingly good for so long.

• Advertisement

That statement alone surely suggests that Keane was better so. Consistancy is the greatest trait a player can have, not a flash in the pan moment to mask inconsistency. Which is why Ronaldo and Messi are two of the best of all-time, being consistently, devastatingly good for so long.

I do not have an issue with somebody thinking Keane was a better player than Gerard ,I think on a particular day I might come down on either side of that argument

Flash in the pan?

The stuff you have to read in here would delete cookies from your brain.

Put in this way,if the Gerrard that burst onto the scene in 1999-2000 popped up now people would be raving about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I hate Livarpool. I tink Gerrard was sheite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Some hilarious stuff on here. You'd swear Gerrard was a pauper in terms of trophies and silverware. He's won more trophies in his Liverpool career than most football clubs have in their entire history.

He's one of the great players of his and the Premier League era who would have walked into any team in the world in his prime.

rarnes1 wrote: »

He must have had so many people fooled over the years eh, with his one hollywood moment every now and again.

Where is the hate,just stating facts.You as a Liverpool fan should know about how he neglected the team for his quest to be the hero.I didn't say he was a bad player just that he could be so selfish on the pitch.

just stating facts.

You sir do not understand the difference between a fact and an opinion.

Where is the hate,just stating facts.You as a Liverpool fan should know about how he neglected the team for his quest to be the hero.I didn't say he was a bad player just that he could be so selfish on the pitch.

Facts?

Give me a breakdown of games lost and won by Gerrard in his quest to be a hero. If you're gonna shout facts, then show us facts.

You are just letting your hate/dislike (whatever you choose) of Liverpool cloud your judgement.

I've watched Gerrard since 1999 and to call him selfish just so he could be a hero is incredibly delusional.

My opinion had nothing to do with my post.Fact.

Facts?

Give me a breakdown of games lost and won by Gerrard in his quest to be a hero. If you're gonna shout facts, then show us facts.

You are just letting your hate/dislike (whatever you choose) of Liverpool cloud your judgement.

I've watched Gerrard since 1999 and to call him selfish just so he could be a hero is incredibly delusional.

You're the Liverpool fan,I have no inclination to go looking for footage of one of your players just to prove a point to you.

Trust me,if I posted my opinion on him,I'd be banned-nice version is that he's a miserable,dislikeable person.But that's just my opinion,up to others to judge if it's a fact.

On boards stating something as fact you'll usually be asked to back it up, which is fair enough. Red Cafe, Rawk, Twitter and those only places you won't as the majority will be nodding in agreement/patting on back etc.

Stating something as fact means it's set in stone. The above post certainly isn't

• Advertisement

On boards stating something as fact you'll usually be asked to back it up, which is fair enough. Red Cafe, Rawk, Twitter and those only places you won't as the majority will be nodding in agreement/patting on back etc.

Stating something as fact means it's set in stone. The above post certainly isn't

For a club that had Rafa as a manager,ye'd know a lot about "Facts".

You're the Liverpool fan,I have no inclination to go looking for footage of one of your players just to prove a point to you.

Trust me,if I posted my opinion on him,I'd be banned-nice version is that he's a miserable,dislikeable thug of a person.But that's just my opinion,up to others to judge if it's a fact.

You're the one that stated such facts :confused:

Do you actually know him or is it just the team he played for? If the latter I think you take the Liverpool - Utd thing too serious if I'm honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Nicely played to be fair! :D

Trust me,if I posted my opinion on him,I'd be banned-nice version is that he's a miserable,dislikeable thug of a person.But that's just my opinion,up to others to judge if it's a fact.

That's a complete cop out there to be fair.
    1318521000711.gif

Side stepping and completely disregarding trying to answer the previous question.

You're the one that stated such facts :confused:

Do you actually know him or is it just the team he played for? If the latter I think you take the Liverpool - Utd thing too serious if I'm honest

Nothing to do with rivalry,the most recent memorable one was when ye went out of Europe and he tried shooting from anywhere instead of playing a simple ball and completely ignored better placed team mates.
    Yes he scored great goals but if I was a Liverpool fan,he'd wreck my head.

Nothing to do with rivalry,the most recent memorable one was when ye went out of Europe and he tried shooting from anywhere instead of playing a simple ball and completely ignored better placed team mates.

And yet earlier you made it sound like he did that every single game. You can't even tell me the name of the opposition, how many times he ignored teammates and instead opted to shoot himself, how many times he played the simple ball. Back it up with some actual facts/footage/stats?

Well you're not a Liverpool fan and I don't think you're best placed to judge what he'd do to your head if you were given your posts about him. Dislikeable thug etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Ah its a fair criticism tbh.

The Chelsea game last season highlighted it perfectly was shooting from everywhere trying to rescue the game when the better option would have been a pass. It was fairly shocking tbf, sorta ****e Ronaldo did that pissed off many a United fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

irishfeen wrote: »
    He is/was a very good player for Liverpool - his loyalty to Liverpool though mean he (in my eyes anyway) will sit in third best behind Scholes and Lampard in PL history to his retirement. Liverpool FC let him down very badly over the years IMO - poor managers and even poorer signings year after year.

He will go down as a great but not the greatest in PL history certainly - the thing Liverpool fans have to contemplate is how far the club would/could have fell without him bailing them out. There are players who deserve a PL winner medal, he of course is one of them but its simple you win the PL if you deserve to win it - Liverpool in the 16 years Gerrard was playing didn't deserve to win it.

They deserved to win it last year, playing amazing football.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

Haha he's a thug cause he didn't pass the ball to a teammate.just a well he didn't sleep with his brother wife, kung fu kick a fan or end players careers on purpose or even miss a drugs test.

There can be no dispute Gerrard has being one of the greatest ever players to Grace the league. He stuck with Liverpool through thick and thin. A lot of sunshiner United supporters could learn a thing or two about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

beno619 wrote: »

The Chelsea game last season highlighted it perfectly was shooting from everywhere trying to rescue the game when the better option would have been a pass. It was fairly shocking tbf, sorta ****e Ronaldo did that pissed of many a United fan.

I do agree, he drove me mental in the game but I think it stems from a need to prove himself after the slip rather than wanting the limelight etc. Also so from the fact that so many times before he had come to the rescue. Ken Early wrote an excellent article about him a while back and how he was driven by an insecurity.

He was an absolute Phenomenon at his peak and as someone mentioned earlier, if he was beginning to play today, the hype around him would be unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

J Mysterio wrote: »
    They deserved to win it last year, playing amazing football.

Ah no they didnt, the best team won the league last year, and do most years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Both would have worked together as an effective partnership imo which proves your point. Lampard / Gerrard didn't work for England because they were too similar.

There's no doubt that they should have been able to play together and I dont think the failing was being too similar. It was poor management over the years. Bad tactics and poor attitude instilled to the team.

viper006 wrote: »
    Haha he's a thug cause he didn't pass the ball to a teammate.just a well he didn't sleep with his brother wife, kung fu kick a fan or end players careers on purpose or even miss a drugs test.

There can be no dispute Gerrard has being one of the greatest ever players to Grace the league. He stuck with Liverpool through thick and thin. A lot of sunshiner United supporters could learn a thing or two about that.

That makes no sense,anyway didn't he call off his move to Chelsea because some local heavies paid him a visit?

beno619 wrote: »

The Chelsea game last season highlighted it perfectly was shooting from everywhere trying to rescue the game when the better option would have been a pass. It was fairly shocking tbf, sorta ****e Ronaldo did that pissed of many a United fan.

Read his first post on the matter. You'd swear Gerrard spent games just taking pot shots from every angle. If a player did that for 17 years they'd be fcuked out the door.

Also, isn't he up there with the highest assists in the league. Surely he could have taken more of those on himself given his incredible "greed"

You see, people take a small sample size and mould it into whatever agenda they are aligned to. Of course there were games when you'd be cursing him and saying he should have done something different. You could probably say the same with every player in the world though.

I'd watched the majority of Gerrards at Liverpool and trust me he wasn't a greedy player by any stretch.

• Advertisement

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Ah no they didnt, the best team won the league last year, and do most years.

Exactly,no team has a divine right to win the league.Whoever has the most points at the end wins.Moral victors or popular choices don't come into it.

That makes no sense,anyway didn't he call off his move to Chelsea because some local heavies paid him a visit?

I lol'd...well played

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

monkey9 wrote: »
    This thread is filterastic. :D

What does that even mean?

More facts eh?

Looking forward to reading about this. Daily Mail doesn't count!

I lol'd...well played

Maybe it isn't a fact,maybe it's just an opinion on Merseyside-who knows?;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement