Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steven Gerrard leaving Liverpool?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I wonder will he consider a move to Everton. He is an Everton fan just thought that might have crossed his mind. I know he is mls bound but you just never know in modern football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I wonder will he consider a move to Everton. He is an Everton fan just thought that might have crossed his mind. I know he is mls bound but you just never know in modern football

There is more chance of me playing for Everton next season than Gerrard. It will not happen

Everton fan?

That was Carragher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Everton fan?

That was Carragher

Gerrard in Everton shirt as a kid thats where people get that idea.

339598-969f2bc2-ba37-11e3-9580-78f49dffd642.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

At least he was man enough to come out and say he's leaving,unlike another who pledged loyalty,got his picture taken then pissed off.
    Anyhow,to keep the peace here ye go.

10898139_374080586108288_5336341074280765361_n.jpg?oh=0eee34bed389367f6ac622d768a293cf&oe=552C380D&__gda__=1425696465_8452a05bea5d3c97640046275eb87b4a

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Gerrard in Everton shirt as a kid thats where people get that idea.

339598-969f2bc2-ba37-11e3-9580-78f49dffd642.jpg

Yeah first heard about that from his autobiography. His uncle was/is a big Everton fan and Stevie was just a kid who idolised football...even wore United kits and such. That picture is hilarious though, something you'd definitely do with a nephew to p*ss off your brother.

Yeah first heard about that from his autobiography. His uncle was/is a big Everton fan and Stevie was just a kid who idolised football...even wore United kits and such. That picture is hilarious though, something you'd definitely do with a nephew to p*ss off your brother.

Yep, that's the story behind it alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

He's been great for Liverpool but it's a good thing for the fans that he's leaving.

It's time to turn a over a new leaf and start a new chapter without being beholden to anyone out of loyalty.

Liverpool Football Club need to do what is best for Liverpool Football Club and that means finding young blood that can take the club forward at this point...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Will anyone understand him in America?

• Advertisement

thelad95 wrote: »
    Will anyone understand him in America?

Robbie seems to be doing fine there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

What sport is he going to play? Surely they have to have something where you can kick something like a ball.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

one tertiary attribute of his which I always liked was his innate ability to make the gloryhunting section of united fans become completely unhinged with anger for no good reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

BMMachine wrote: »
    one tertiary attribute of his which I always liked was his innate ability to make the gloryhunting section of united fans become completely unhinged with anger for no good reason

What about the rest of us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Makes me happy to see his name in the lineup every time this season :pac:

Edit: zing etc.

What about the rest of us?

you should ask Will there. He's the best example of not being a gloryhunter ever.

It's a special talent he has to just annoy the glory hunting fans, wonder how he manages to not annoy the rest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,855 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

An excellent player at his peak. And I'd have to agree with the sentiments about him being the best PL player never to pick up a winners medal. Will rightfully go down as a Liverpool legend not only because of his ability but also his loyalty to the club during many very frustrating times and barren years success wise.

A very selfless guy but you'd also have to wonder on a personal level how much more of a player he would have become if he had made the move to a greater side say 6 or so years ago. The likes of a Madrid, Barcelona, Milan or even Utd.

It's a special talent he has to just annoy the glory hunting fans, wonder how he manages to not annoy the rest?

its a mentality thing.

its a mentality thing.

Maybe he could be the Scouse Derren Brown if it doesn't work out abroad...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Certainly has the forehead for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Love him or hate him you have to give him credit; he's the only player to have gone through his whole career with just the one hairstyle.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,120 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Good luck to him whatever he decides to do.

A legend.

you win again :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

nullzero wrote: »
    Love him or hate him you have to give him credit; he's the only player to have gone through his whole career with just the one hairstyle.

Javier Zanetti

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/serie_a/123444/snapshot-panini-stickers-map-amazingly-evolution-of-javier-zanetti.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

The World War 2 fighter pilot look.

Jaysis, Ollie Kahn looks even scarier back then!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

rossie1977 wrote: »
    He is, to date, the only footballer in history to have scored a goal in an FA Cup Final, a League Cup Final, a UEFA Cup Final and a Champions League Final.

Ronaldo scored in all the domestic ones above and two european cup finals.

I know which is of more merit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Do you? Which?

• Advertisement

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    'Hated because he's so good' is such a laughable argument. That explains why Augero and Henry were generally liked alright. Or to put a United/Liverpool turn on it, why Scholes, Reina, Hypia, Van Der Sar are generally respected and the likes of Diouf, Young and Nani got torrents of abuse when they played

Reina is far from respected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

If you're being compared to Ronaldo you're doing something right :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I have a bone to pick with you Nidgey

8-10 wrote: »
    If you're being compared to Ronaldo you're doing something right :P

True. I'm often quite flattered when compared to Ronaldo on the basis of my notable physique.

Then I realise they are talking about the Brazilian one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

rossie1977 wrote: »
    He is, to date, the only footballer in history to have scored a goal in an FA Cup Final, a League Cup Final, a UEFA Cup Final and a Champions League Final.

two of those competitions are pretty mediocre

efb wrote: »

Well then there must loads of players who have scored in those two medicore finals.

• Advertisement

All of those finals were cracking games of football though all the same. 23 goals in those 4 finals!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Overrated player in my opinion. Not even the best midfielder for England of his generation. Scholes and Lampard are ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

He could ask BNM for advice.

cournioni wrote: »
    Overrated player in my opinion. Not even the best midfielder for England of his generation. Scholes and Lampard are ahead of him.

Beckham only Eng midfielder of the time I'd rate over Gerrard, but he isn't liked much on boards

For what reason?

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »
    Well then there must loads of players who have scored in those two medicore finals.

Well one no longer exists

Beckham only Eng midfielder of the time I'd rate over Gerrard, but he isn't liked much on boards

He was top quality for England alright. That Greece game was masterful. Gerrard did a lot better once made captain of England I think. Seemed an iffy decision at the time maybe but he did well. Better captain for Liverpool though

Well one no longer exists

Yeah but it did at the time and it's now the Europa League. You're an Arsenal fan, right? Compare what Arsenal have won (yep, Prem league titles and all) since Steven Gerrard made his debut for Liverpool in 1998.

For what reason?
    First of all, trophies don't lie and over the course of a season Scholes and Lampard have shown that they have the ability to be the best consistently to win titles for their club, while also having better stats for club and country.

From seeing him play live I am also of the opinion that Gerrard was very much a "Hollywood" passer (ie. Playing ridiculous balls straight out of play on a fairly regular basis), they look great when they come off but they aren't very helpful to the team over the course of a game or a season. Scholes and Lampard were much more disciplined with their passing imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

First of all, trophies don't lie and over the course of a season Scholes and Lampard have shown that they have the ability to be the best consistently to win titles for their club, while also having better stats for club and country.

From seeing him play live I am also of the opinion that Gerrard was very much a "Hollywood" passer (ie. Playing ridiculous balls straight out of play on a fairly regular basis), they look great when they come off but they aren't very helpful to the team over the course of a game or a season. Scholes and Lampard were much more disciplined with their passing imo.

The Hollywood passer myth is similar to the myth that existed that a large percentage of Lampards goals were deflected shots.

Yeah but it did at the time and it's now the Europa League. You're an Arsenal fan, right? Compare what Arsenal have won (yep, Prem league titles and all) since Steven Gerrard made his debut for Liverpool in 1998.

3 BPL trophies

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Jamie redknapp was asked today, who does he consider the best player. Lampard or Gerrard?

He picked Gerrard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Jamie redknapp was asked today, who does he consider the best player. Lampard or Gerrard?

He picked Gerrard!

/thread

The Hollywood passer myth is similar to the myth that existed that a large percentage of Lampards goals were deflected shots.
    I'm basing it on what I've seen live. I've been much more impressed by Scholes and Lampard, Beckham too but I wouldn't consider him as a midfielder as I've only seen him play right midfield.

Of the ones that I've seen live Iniesta, Xavi, Zidane, Keane, Schweinsteiger, Alonso, Fabregas and Pirlo are others that spring to mind outside of the England team that I'd rate above Gerrard too.

I'm not doubting the abilities of Scholes and Lampard. Scholes was pure class who was playing for a huge club.

Lampard was quality as well of course. But you realise Lampard's winning of titles at Chelsea was down to Roman Abramovich. I'm not saying he wasn't good enough, but he wouldn't be winning league titles at Chelsea without the tycoon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement