Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steven Gerrard leaving Liverpool?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Jamie redknapp was asked today, who does he consider the best player. Lampard or Gerrard?

He picked Gerrard!

Obviously there's no nepotism there.
    With lamps being his cousin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Well....yeah. :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Am I missing something here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

cournioni wrote: »
    First of all, trophies don't lie and over the course of a season Scholes and Lampard have shown that they have the ability to be the best consistently to win titles for their club, while also having better stats for club and country.

What a stupid point.

Trophies definitely do lie when judging an individual. In fact, they're largely irrelevant. They're a team accolade. Not an individual's accolade.

Gerrard was in the PFA team of the year 8 times. Patrick Vieira was in it six times; Roy Keane and Frank Lampard had 5 five inclusions, Paul Scholes had two.

That's actually much much more relevant if you want to judge an individual player. Trophies is really only relevant when judging whole teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Of the ones that I've seen live Iniesta, Xavi, Zidane, Keane, Schweinsteiger, Alonso, Fabregas and Pirlo are others that spring to mind outside of the England team that I'd rate above Gerrard too.
    As far as Liverpool players go, I would rate Alonso more highly than Gerrard, and I'd imagine most people would.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    What a stupid point.

Trophies definitely do lie when judging an individual. In fact, they're largely irrelevant. They're a team accolade. Not an individual's accolade.

Gerrard was in the PFA team of the year 8 times. Patrick Vieira was in it six times; Roy Keane and Frank Lampard had 5 five inclusions, Paul Scholes had two.

That's actually much much more relevant if you want to judge an individual player. Trophies is really only relevant when judging whole teams.

Yeah but he doesn't like Phil Collins, Al. Therefore Scholes is clearly the better player.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

monkey9 wrote: »
    I'm not doubting the abilities of Scholes and Lampard. Scholes was pure class who was playing for a huge club.

Lampard was quality as well of course. But you realise Lampard's winning of titles at Chelsea was down to Roman Abramovich. I'm not saying he wasn't good enough, but he wouldn't be winning league titles at Chelsea without the tycoon.
    Lampard was the catalyst for Chelsea in their success. His appearance record for Chelsea along with his statistics during Chelsea's most successful period speaks volumes. His record for England mustn't be ignored either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Lampard was the catalyst for Chelsea in their success. His appearance record for Chelsea along with his statistics during Chelsea's most successful period speaks volumes. His record for England mustn't be ignored either.

There's this guy from Russia......

If popularity contests mean you are a better player than so be it.

• Advertisement

You must be the only person in the world who doesn't think Abramovich isn't the one responsible for Chelsea's success.

That includes Lampard by the way who has been quite honest in stating it was Roman's money that brought Chelsea to a new level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I don't see much between those 3 England players mentioned (Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes). All very important to the relative successes of the clubs they represented and if i'm being critical, I think all 3 underachieved at international level based on what they produced for their clubs.

I couldn't really argue putting those 3 in any order 1-3 as I think it's too close to be unanimously conclusive unless you're talking really specific stats

Roman Abramovich is the reason for Chelsea's success. That's not even an arguement.

Lampard was clearly good enough to be part of that. So too would Gerrard.

If tycoons had taken over Liverpool, the billionaire team would have been built around Gerrard.

I get that some people don't like Liverpool and therefore Steven Gerrard. But seriously, let's not get silly.

Not really a popularity contest. More a survey of a huge number of professional footballers giving their opinion on the performances of individual players over the course of a season.

By no means perfect, but infinitely better than using the trophy count of an entire football club when trying to judge a single player.

You must be the only person in the world who doesn't think Abramovich isn't the one responsible for Chelsea's success.

That includes Lampard by the way who has been quite honest in stating it was Roman's money that brought Chelsea to a new level.
    Owners can spend all the money in the world without success, the players make it achievable by their actions on the pitch. Lampard was Chelsea's main man on the pitch.

Owners can spend all the money in the world without success, the players make it achievable by their actions on the pitch. Lampard was Chelsea's main man on the pitch.

The players make it achievable by their actions on the pitch? Yes.

I'll spell it out for you....

The more better players on the pitch the more likely it is to be achieved.

The more money spent, the more better players on the pitch.

Roman bought many quality players.

Lampard admits that it was Romans money that moved Chelsea to the next level.

You were wrong & talking nonsense.

• Advertisement

Such drivel.
    The players make it achievable by their actions on the pitch. The more better players on the pitch the more likely it is to be achieved. The more money spent, the more better players. Roman bought many quality players.

Lampard admits that it was Romans money that moved Chelsea to the next level.

You were wrong & talking nonsense.

What he said.

And if dispopularity contests mean you're average and overrated then so be it!

And if Roman bought Liverpool, Gerrard would have been Liverpool's main man on the pitch as we won league titles together with everything else we actually did win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Without Abramovich...no Mourinho and no titles.

Not really a popularity contest. More a survey of a huge number of professional footballers giving their opinion on the performances of individual players over the course of a season.

By no means perfect, but infinitely better than using the trophy count of an entire football club when trying to judge a single player.
    You can call it what you like, I'd call it a popularity contest. Scholes only getting into the team twice in his career proves that. Ironically Scholes is rated by three of the best midfielders of the past twenty years as the best that they have seen (Xavi, Iniesta and Zidane).

I'd prefer to use their success on the pitch for both club and country as a gauge. It is worth noting that Scholes and Lampard have both performed statistically better than Gerrard for England also.

• Advertisement

Is anybody actually doubting the quality of Scholes and Lampard? This is a thread about Gerrard leaving Liverpool and Gerrard would walk into any of those Chelsea or Man U teams.

You can call it what you like, I'd call it a popularity contest. Scholes only getting into the team twice in his career proves that. Ironically Scholes is rated by three of the best midfielders of the past twenty years as the best that they have seen (Xavi, Iniesta and Zidane).

Weird that those players would say that.

Particularly Zidane who is actually on record as saying Gerrard was the best player in the world at a time when Scholes was at his peak :rolleyes:
    I prefer to use their success on the pitch for both club and country as a gauge. It is worth noting that Scholes and Lampard have both performed statistically better than Gerrard for England also.

You prefer to use the trophy count of an entire team when judging an individual player. We've established that. If you can't see how stupid that is, there's not much point carrying on any conversation.

"Both performed statistically better"

What stats would they be? :confused:

Is anybody actually doubting the quality of Scholes and Lampard? This is a thread about Gerrard leaving Liverpool and Gerrard would walk into any of those Chelsea or Man U teams.

Both players are sheer class.

Without Abramovich...no Mourinho and no titles.
    The same logic can be applied to any successful club without a sugar daddy owner.

Without fans no money, no manager, no players.

Fact is, without the players on the pitch nobody wins anything, it doesn't matter how you try to dress it up. Lampard has shown statistically for Chelsea and England that he is better than Gerrard.

Fact is, without the players on the pitch nobody wins anything, it doesn't matter how you try to dress it up. Lampard has shown statistically for Chelsea and England that he is better than Gerrard.

WHAT STATS

WHAT STATS
    Trophies, games to goals ratio, games to assists ratio. The ones that count.

Trophies aren't relevant as discussed.

The others have varying degrees of relevance, but are not nearly definitive by any means. Particularly for midfield players.

I don't have any great desire to continue this conversation with you, just wanted to step in & point out you were talking absolute ****e. Which I've done to a satisfactory level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Wouldnt have walked into the utd treble team. Scholes and keane would have been ahead of peak gerrard. Maybe into the chelsea team but im not sure where, Lampard was better in a similar role and chelsea often played with more defensive players in the other 2 spots

I'm interested in the games to goals and games to assists ratio for all 3 players for both club and for England. Trophies aren't really stats but I know what you mean and I know those ones already, but the other 2 stats for the 3 lads would definitely be interesting if you can post them? I reckon Gerrard comes close to Scholes in them?

Just think, If Gerrard hadn't have slipped last year he wouldn't be in contention for the "best player to never win a league title".

He'll probably be the unanimous winner of that one.

Every cloud.

• Advertisement

The others have varying degrees of relevance, but are not nearly definitive by any means. Particularly for midfield players.

I don't have any great desire to continue this conversation with you, just wanted to step in & point out you were talking absolute ****e. Which I've done to a satisfactory level.

So do we disregard the cups gerrard has won when discussing his level as a player, good to know :confused:

Wouldnt have walked into the utd treble team. Scholes and keane would have been ahead of peak gerrard. Maybe into the chelsea team but im not sure where, Lampard was better in a similar role and chelsea often played with more defensive players in the other 2 spots

The fact that Mourinho was desperate to buy Gerrard for the Chelsea team you're referring to should tell you all you need to know.

He wouldn't have gotten into the United midfield between 1993-2004.(Injuries during that period notwithstanding).

I' sure with his ability he'd have found a role somewhere else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Just think, If Gerrard hadn't have slipped last year he wouldn't be in contention for the "best player to never win a league title".

He'll probably be the unanimous winner of that one.

Every cloud.

There was still 45 mins to go.

8-10 wrote: »
    I'm interested in the games to goals and games to assists ratio for all 3 players for both club and for England. Trophies aren't really stats but I know what you mean and I know those ones already, but the other 2 stats for the 3 lads would definitely be interesting if you can post them? I reckon Gerrard comes close to Scholes in them?

Id also be interested in tackles attempted & tackles won, passes attempted & passes completed. Surely if we're talking about "stats" to judge a midfield player these are hugely relevant?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Anyone who thinks that trophies are irrelevant in considering the quality of a player is bullshitting to an enormous degree.

Scholes was out on the left for England with Lampard and Gerrard in the middle.

Gits_bone wrote: »
    There was still 45 mins to go.

Against a team who were happy with a draw, set up to get one, and playing for one.

Ah so we discount trophies. Well competitive football is completely pointless so. :cool:

• Advertisement

The fact that Mourinho was desperate to buy Gerrard for the Chelsea team you're referring to should tell you all you need to know.

You're right I checked the chelsea squad that season, he would have added a lot. But that chelsea team did well when a proper cm was brought in allowing lamps to take the am position properly. First XI though, makele and essien behind lampard, where does stevie g play? wide right?

Nailz wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks that trophies are irrelevant in considering the quality of a player is bullshitting to an enormous degree.

Largely irrelevant.

Who's a better player Danny Welbeck or Luis Suarez?

You see where I'm going with this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Against a team who were happy with a draw, set up to get one, and playing for one.

And the Palace game?

Ah so we discount trophies. Well competitive football is completely pointless so. :cool:

Who is a better player Tom Cleverly or Matthew LeTissier?

Please post your stats you mention as being the important indicators. In my head I reckon Gerrard and Scholes are close on your games to goals and games to assists stats but interested in the reality?

No, mourinhos gameplan was going perfectly at the time but Chelsea needed the win to stay in the title race and he would have got it anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Nailz wrote: »

Roy Keane never won a World Cup.
    Ryan Giggs never played in a World Cup.
    Matthew Le Tisser ......
    Paul Gascoigne has.... an FA Cup he won from hospital and two Scottish Premier Leagues..

So to say these players are lesser than those who have won those competitions, would that be correct to say following your logic?

Who is a better player Tom Cleverly or Matthew LeTissier?
    It would be much more advisable to use a player with a similar appearance record when trying to make a comparison. Which is what we have done with Scholes, Gerrard and Lampard.

Any reasonable football fan would have done so, but judging by your posts that isn't something we are to expect.

Augmerson wrote: »
    Roy Keane never won a World Cup.
    Ryan Giggs never played in a World Cup.
    Matthew Le Tisser ......
    Paul Gascoigne has.... an FA Cup he won from hospital and two Scottish Premier Leagues..

So to say these players are lesser than those who have won those competitions, would that be correct to say following your logic?
    But... Paul Scholes, Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard have all played in the same team, why don't we assess how they've done for England and factor that in also?

Id also be interested in tackles attempted & tackles won, passes attempted & passes completed. Surely if we're talking about "stats" to judge a midfield player these are hugely relevant?!

I thought he was going to mention passing initially as it's probably the most important. Let's see what the games to goals & assists are first (I presume he means goals per minute or game and assists per minute/game)

It would be much more advisable to use a player with a similar appearance record when trying to make a comparison. Which is what we have done with Scholes, Gerrard and Lampard.

Any reasonable football fan would have done so, but judging by your posts that isn't something we are to expect.

Who is better midfielder Darren Fletcher or Steven Gerrard?

• Advertisement
Advertisement