Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help With Dog Please

• 01-01-2015 11:26pm

Hi

Recently my dog ate something which didnt agree with him and he had severe diarrahea as a result for a few days.

I brought him to the vet 2 days ago where he was examined injected twice (no idea what it was) and is on tablets till tomorrow.

The diarahea has stopped....but so too has his regular movements. He hasnt pooped since bringing him to the vet. He is eating boiled chicken and rice (as recommended by vet) and has fresh water (but not drinking as much as usual) so Ive added water which the chicken was boiled in with his food.
    His form is good and is eager to eat up. He has been a little lazier than usual and has to be encouraged to go for a walk where he loved going before.

Im worried now as he was usually very regular with poop and the fact that he hasnt gone in a few days now is concerning me.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Usually with things like this, I try to take the approach "if X situation was happening to me, would that be okay/normal?"

I'd suggest giving your vet a call, chances are they'll tell you to come down, but at least they could tell you if it's normal or not from the medication he's on, or what to expect.

I wouldn't wait too long on it though, being blocked up can't be fun!

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Thanks for the reply.

I don't think he's blocked up as he is not trying to pass anything.

I walk him and have been following him around when letting him out to see if he does go.

I'll ring the vet again tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I would imagine as his system was cleared out with the diarrhoea and as he only been eating chicken and rice there prob isn't too much to pass.
    But maybe just ring your vet to double check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

andreac wrote: »
    I would imagine as his system was cleared out with the diarrhoea and as he only been eating chicken and rice there prob isn't too much to pass.

I'd agree. It'll happen eventually OP and will probably be rock hard to start with then get back to normal. One of mine didn't poo for 3 days after she was spayed!

I never thought I'd be so happy to see a dog poop!!

All is good.

Thanks for the reassurance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

TheTorment wrote: »
    I never thought I'd be so happy to see a dog poop!!

All is good.

Thanks for the reassurance!

:pac:

Advertisement