Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone using the Vodafone 3G desk-phones?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

yuloni wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

The OneNet service runs of the 3G mobile network yes. Basically Vodafone port the landline number over to their service and configure the SIM card to make and receive calls on that number. Vodafone operate HD voice on their 3G/4G network where the signal is good, hence why the call quality may be good. As a service, it uses VoIP, like every other landline or mobile provider these days, but the last end is through digital 3G voice rather than VoIP. As far as I'm aware, Vodafone are the only crowd properly doing this. Blueface also provide landline numbers on your mobile phone over a 3G signal but they don't provide desk phones, rather they use regular mobile phones.

It's a bigger thing in the UK, I haven't seen much of OneNet here.

You can port your number or get a number from Vodafone. They also provide IVR etc like a regular hosted PBX service with mobile phones as well as desk phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

It's odd alright. I suppose quality (as it's mobile based) and pricing might be a concern with using OneNet Express if it's in a corporate environment where they use SIP Trunks, Point to Point VPNs, encryption etc and where they want concern. But certainly for small businesses, I'm not that surprised it hasn't taken off. It would work out cheaper to use a few lines and a PBX than to use a desk phone for each user in some cases. Then there's the fact of people not wanting to move networks due to down time that might happen, effort and the fact that they're current solution works and that's that.

Vodafone's pricing for SIP trunks are high. I guess the margins on fixed landline services are better. Telco's are in a sort of monopoly market where if one goes down this route everyone else will and profit will fall.

This might be of interest also:
    http://www.raspberry-asterisk.org/documentation/gsm-voip-gateway-with-chan_dongle/

It's not always as it meets the eye, there's usually a lot more. Probably the fact that sales departments are stuck on selling landlines and until fibre rollout is complete will we not see much of a budge in the landline sector. Landline rentals are causing people to switch to VoiP or UPC/magnet services, if Eircom offer some VoiP service (like they had in the past, but with landline porting), with their eFibre service this would hit the market like in the US.

Advertisement