Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

two hobs, two ovens in one kitchen?

Options
  • 02-01-2015 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭

is it possible in the one kitchen?

the thing is, we are currently building our home (still at the drawings stage), while struggling to cook the christmas dinner i was wondering if in the new house we could possibly get away with having two hobs AND two ovens,

we currently have a ceramic hob (50cm 4 rings) that we love and a single oven/grill combo, and would be looking at buying the same again and having them side by side with the ovens beneath each hob, thus giving us two hobs (8 rings) and two single ovens neatly placed (rather than one double as that would give us more room in our current design)

i have seen the 90cm hobs but the ones i saw had only 4-5 rings still and it's more rings we'd need as we anticipate doing more cooking in our new home, and while a double oven would be nice we'd prefer two singles if we have two hobs.

is this even feasible? i have never seen it done.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,439 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If electric, there may be issues with the power supply.

Most cooks / chefs prefer to cook with gas, the problem would be making sure they are all turned off. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

hoodwinked wrote: »
    is it possible in the one kitchen?

we currently have a ceramic hob (50cm 4 rings) that we love and a single oven/grill combo, and would be looking at buying the same again and having them side by side with the ovens beneath each hob, thus giving us two hobs (8 rings) and two single ovens neatly placed (rather than one double as that would give us more room in our current design)

i have seen the 90cm hobs but the ones i saw had only 4-5 rings still and it's more rings we'd need as we anticipate doing more cooking in our new home

I'd cook a lot and never really need more than one hob ( we've a 90cm 4 ring) -on the other hand we've a main and small oven, and would still find oven space tight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Victor wrote: »
    If electric, there may be issues with the power supply.

Most cooks / chefs prefer to cook with gas, the problem would be making sure they are all turned off. :)

yeah we would be going all electric so we were wondering could we wire up the house from scratch to do this specifically, i know most days we'd only use one set but for these occasions that we would have the two, so having each hob & oven pair on a separate wall switch if you get me?

nether of us would consider ourselves chef's :D , but we do love cooking together and would like to have say two veg, two sauces, meat, potatoes, other things...etc all on the hob at once, so it would be easier if we had more than 4 or 5 rings to do them all at once rather than juggling things on and off as we currently do, obviously there are work arounds but if it could be done all together would be great.

likewise for the ovens, being able to have desert and the meat roasting at the same time for example would also be handy at times, (or other things that need two separate temperatures)

Borzoi wrote: »
    I'd cook a lot and never really need more than one hob ( we've a 90cm 4 ring) -on the other hand we've a main and small oven, and would still find oven space tight.

with our 50cm hob we do find pots on one ring would encroach on the other rings which is why we looked at the bigger hobs, i was just disappointed to see they still (at almost twice the size) come with 4 rings?

my question is what if we were cooking (i am just using christmas dinner as a visual example) two sauces needing two hobs, frying veg, boiling veg, potatoes, and the meat, do you find this works on the 90cm in the same way? aka juggling times and taking things off to put others on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

You can get gas cookers with 5 or 6 rings. Seems better than 2 separate hobs.

• Advertisement

Bruthal wrote: »
    You can get gas cookers with 5 or 6 rings. Seems better than 2 separate hobs.

except where we are building does not have access to a gas mains, nor do we want to be dealing with bottles of gas just to cook with,

and the idea was if we can do the above it would suit us better if not we would try and get an electric ceramic hob with 6+ rings, if nether we go with the 4/5 ring and continue on, but it will have to be electric.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Forget ceramic hobs, induction is the way to go-it's electric but quicker than gas,easier to clean too - get a 5 or 6 ring hob, buy a double oven -or two same brand, 1 multi-function (oven grill ect) and 1 fan oven - and get an electric steamer(not a steam oven).that'd reduce the need for an extra hobb space on big occasions-

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Yea the induction is far better than standard electric hobs alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Induction hob will need its own feed from the board, same for a modern double oven.

So basically you are looking at having 4 separate runs of 10mm, thats going to be expensive in wire alone. (its 3-4€ /m for 10mm2)
    So a 20 M run (which it could easily be for each unit, depending on angles etc) is going to cost you ~€500 before you have had someone lay it)

You could try to double up, but risk nuisance tripping if you are using a lot of juice, which kinda defeats the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Yea the induction is far better than standard electric hobs alright.

Agree. Also, think about two dishwashers.Saves a lot of cupboard space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

you can get domino hobs of all sorts now ,maybe adding a few of them and an extra oven would be the way to go ? :

http://www.ultimate-kitchens.co/site/modern-kitchen-design/domino-hobs-%E2%80%93-perfect-for-the-ultimate-kitchen-by-design/

two ovens is a great job - you can be baking bread n cakes n stuff while roasting

same for two hobs - you can boil stuff on one and do something that needs attention on the other - your face won't be stuck in the steam

had it before - highly recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

GreeBo wrote: »
    Induction hob will need its own feed from the board, same for a modern double oven.

So basically you are looking at having 4 separate runs of 10mm, thats going to be expensive in wire alone. (its 3-4€ /m for 10mm2)
    So a 20 M run (which it could easily be for each unit, depending on angles etc) is going to cost you ~€500 before you have had someone lay it)

You could try to double up, but risk nuisance tripping if you are using a lot of juice, which kinda defeats the point.

2.5 would be enough for each oven, depending on cable run. They're not as power hungry as the hobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

OP Gas doesn't take much effort and you can have the best of both worlds, both gas and electric hobs. We have a gas hob and on the standard bottles we only need to change it every couple of months and don't forget if you have both gas and electric you have something to fall back to if the power goes. You obviously don't need two hobs all the time so if the gas hob in the spare you probably won't use more than one gas bottle a year on with it.

jeepers101 wrote: »
    2.5 would be enough for each oven, depending on cable run. They're not as power hungry as the hobs.

Why would you risk it and future limit yourself?
    retro fitting athicker gauge is not fun or cheap and ihave already seen 16amp double ovens.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I got a Belling Range ,it has 7 gas hobs,2 ovens and 1 grill ,it is huge :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

In situations such as this it is best to calculate the maximum load first.
    So select the ovens, hobs etc. and write down the kW ratings.

Once the size of each load is determined and the length of cable runs is measured the MCBs and cables can be sized.

It is possible that the total load will be too large for a single phase supply. A three phase supply is generally costly to install and incurs a larger standing charge.

This Neff hob is rated a 7.2kW. This means that at "full tilt" it would draw in the region of 32A.

This double oven is rated at 5.7kW. Again at full tilt it will draw nearly 25A.

So just between the two appliances above it is possible to draw 57A. Typically the main switch fuse on a domestic distribution board is rated at 63A. Naturally some sort of diversity has to be applied, it would be unusual to have both the oven and the hob on at the same time and turned up to the maximum. However add in a tumble dryer, dishwasher, immersion, washing machine and that fuse will be getting pretty hot. So without the addition of a second hob and oven the supply for the installation is likely to be undersized.

If it were my home I would do my best to avoid getting a three phase supply installed. You may be able to get away with an "enhanced" single phase supply (larger than the standard).

Ok chefs, lets cook :)

Why would you risk it and future limit yourself?
    retro fitting athicker gauge is not fun or cheap and ihave already seen 16amp double ovens.

Every day must be Xmas day in that house.

Every day must be Xmas day in that house.

Huh?

Huh?

Op was suggesting needing 2 hobs, 2 ovens for days like Christmas day. Wouldn't be too many days with that days requirements.

• Advertisement

Op was suggesting needing 2 hobs, 2 ovens for days like Christmas day. Wouldn't be too many days with that days requirements.

well it wouldn't just be christmas and new years, because where we are moving his family would probably be joining us often which would involve more cooking than normal on a good few weekends.

i was wondering if this could work and make life a little more convenient for the two of us cooking together or would it cause more hassle than it would save,

it's looking from here that its more hassle then it's worth anyway,

we wanted to avoid an aga or anything that looks like a stand alone, as we want something built in to our kitchen.

Can you think of a worse day to have the power keep tripping?

well it wouldn't just be christmas and new years, because where we are moving his family would probably be joining us often which would involve more cooking than normal on a good few weekends.

i was wondering if this could work and make life a little more convenient for the two of us cooking together or would it cause more hassle than it would save,

it's looking from here that its more hassle then it's worth anyway,

we wanted to avoid an aga or anything that looks like a stand alone, as we want something built in to our kitchen.
    Yea I was just suggesting it is not very straight forward for something only used occasionally. Not as simple as just adding another cooker and oven on a normal domestic supply.

In reality, gas would make it more straight forward. One electric hob and oven, and another gas powered for when extra capacity is needed. As said, a bottle of gas would last a long time in that setup, although you would likely find the gas better to use, and the electric might become secondary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

my question is what if we were cooking (i am just using christmas dinner as a visual example) two sauces needing two hobs, frying veg, boiling veg, potatoes, and the meat, do you find this works on the 90cm in the same way? aka juggling times and taking things off to put others on?

I take your point about a 60cm have hob. Ours is only an 80 and it makes all the difference - induction, totally flat surface. Like your self, no gas available.

With full oven, combo oven and warming drawer Xmas dinner for 11 this year, new years lunch for 9. No bother. Xmas dinner is awkward no matter what your set up, so I wouldn't design a kitchen around it

Can you think of a worse day to have the power keep tripping?

Running 4 10 square circuits to avoid such an event would seem unnecessary. I never got asked about that in my time (cooker repeatedly tripping Xmas day), and most are families with one cooker.

Running 4 10 square circuits to avoid such an event would seem unnecessary. I never got asked about that in my time (cooker repeatedly tripping Xmas day), and most are families with one cooker.

Well when rewiring I'd wire for the future, and most clients are relying on you to tell them, rather than them ask you about nuisance tripping of overloaded circuits.

Well when rewiring I'd wire for the future, and most clients are relying on you to tell them, rather than them ask you about nuisance tripping of overloaded circuits.

Christmas hey., the silly season.

You could be right though, we might have 4 cookers per household in 10 or 15 years. But a future covering wired house from 15 years ago would be well outdated now. So some reality is needed. Clients are not unlimited in resources. And again, nuisance tripping from overloaded circuits wont happen on a properly wired cooker. The question here is, does someone need 4 10 square circuits for cooking?

Are you going to wire your house with 3 phase now, and all clients as well, for future proofing?

Christmas hey., the silly season.

You could be right though, we might have 4 cookers per household in 10 or 15 years. But a future covering wired house from 15 years ago would be well outdated now. So some reality is needed. Clients are not unlimited in resources. And again, nuisance tripping from overloaded circuits wont happen on a properly wired cooker. The question here is, does someone need 4 10 square circuits for cooking?

Are you going to wire your house with 3 phase now, and all clients as well, for future proofing?

II don't think It's 15 years, but if the guy is already thinking of having double the normal cooking complement he is clearly into cooking.

II added an induction job so ran a new 10mm run, as I was there ialso ran one to the existing oven.

It was apainful job that would have been trivial to do at the time. And far cheaper ( if ihad been paying a sparks and a plasterer decorator)

Almost everyone will have double the normal cooking compliment at sometime:)

• Advertisement

Almost everyone will have double the normal cooking compliment at sometime:)

Double appliances, not people.

Advertisement