Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build The Millennium Falcon

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Last two weeks i started some weathering using Oil paints. Firstly i just used them to put some general dirt and wear on the Viper. I sealed it first using some Matt Varnish, let that dry.

Then i brushed on a small amount of odorless Turpentine. Then dot on 3 different oil paints randomly. The with a flat brush and a small amount of the odorless turps just blend them in. its a small effect that doesnt really come across in the photos.

weathering1.jpeg

weathering2.jpeg

weathering3.jpeg

weathering4.jpeg

I let that dry for a week, then i used the oil paint "Starship Filth" and some more "dark rust" in a couple of places to create some streaking. With this you put a small amount of turps on the ship, then draw a small line with the oil and use a dry flat brush to blend it in.

streaking1.jpeg

streaking2.jpeg

streaking3.jpeg

I also used the oils on the back engines, I wanted them to look hot so used one called "engine grease" along with "dark rust" to give it a warm burning look. These had already been painted with "flat aluminium" Vallejo paint and a smoke wash before hand, then sealed with varnish.

engine1.jpeg

engine2.jpeg

Next up ill be adding some weathering to show damage from blasts and heat from the engines on the ship. ill also be weathering the engines you can see on the nose and back parts of the viper.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 F.nelson

Hi. Just stumbled upon this thread. I'm looking to get a model that you assemble and paint as a Christmas present. Maybe an x-wing or something. Is there anything that someone might be able to recommend to a total beginner

F.nelson wrote: »
    Hi. Just stumbled upon this thread. I'm looking to get a model that you assemble and paint as a Christmas present. Maybe an x-wing or something. Is there anything that someone might be able to recommend to a total beginner

Yes, the Bandai star wars kits are great, you would have to get them posted in though from Japan, might be too late for christmas. You can actually put them together without glue for the most part. The ATST i done earlier in the thread is a bandai and was about 40 euro.

Bandai have the rights to star wars kits outside europe and revell within europe i think. So you might, at this stage be better off looking at a revell kit due to the fact getting it posted now might be too soon for christmas. You might get a bandai kit on ebay from a seller in the UK though as well, quicker shipping.

Yes, the Bandai star wars kits are great, you would have to get them posted in though from Japan, might be too late for christmas. You can actually put them together without glue for the most part. The ATST i done earlier in the thread is a bandai and was about 40 euro.

Bandai have the rights to star wars kits outside europe and revell within europe i think. So you might, at this stage be better off looking at a revell kit due to the fact getting it posted now might be too soon for christmas. You might get a bandai kit on ebay from a seller in the UK though as well, quicker shipping.

Thanks for the reply. Ya Google brought up a lot of revell stuff. Is Bandai a lot better? Wanted something that will be a challenge and also keep me wanting more. But there so many different styles it's hard to know. Having to paint it yourself would be something I'd like too

I think a lot of times the kits are very similar is just different companys have the license in different areas for star wars, in this case.

The kits are challenging enough, especially if you are going down the road of painting. to do it right though you would need an airbrush, compressor and a rake of paint\brushes etc. youtube is great to guide you on these things. the kits ive done in this thread so far are the first ones ive ever done. so im relatively new to this myself.

When im finished this Viper, im going to finally start the falcon.

• Advertisement

Little bit more progress.. use some "starship filth" oil paint on the engine bays, then wiped off with a piece of an old tshirt to add some dirt to them.

engineb1.jpg

engineb2.jpg

engineb3.jpg

engineb4.jpg

Also added some "burn" to the outside of this back part, there is an engine piece to go in there. Ill also do a similar effect around the other engine bay parts once the oil paint on them is dry.

I also added some dry brushed oil to some of the damage points around the ship as well.

engineburn.jpg

viberbig.jpg

I think a lot of times the kits are very similar is just different companys have the license in different areas for star wars, in this case.

The kits are challenging enough, especially if you are going down the road of painting. to do it right though you would need an airbrush, compressor and a rake of paint\brushes etc. youtube is great to guide you on these things. the kits ive done in this thread so far are the first ones ive ever done. so im relatively new to this myself.

When im finished this Viper, im going to finally start the falcon.

Thanks for the reply, will wait and see what Santa brings now and I'll take it from there

While waiting for oil paint on the viper to dry, i masked, primed and sprayed the cockpit glass a metalic silver colour. I wanted the metal outline over the glass and not just plonk a solid piece of canopy on the viper. So i masked off each pane, pressed down with a cocktail stick, then used a knife to gently trim the masking tape to size. The inside of the glass will be the colour of the primer, which is tamiya grey, the outside will be a mix of tamiya aluminum and flat grey.

Images below..

Im going to wrap this up over the next couple of weeks. Ive finally started the Falcon build in the background to this!! Ill post up some pics soon, but added a quick preview image to the end.. (excuse the cans, its christmas!)

canope01.jpg

canope02.jpg

canope03.jpg

canope04.jpg

canope05.jpg

canope06.jpg

canope07.jpg

canope08.jpg

canope09.jpg

faclon1.jpg

Hi, added the engines to the back of the Viper now too.. blended them in a bit with some oil dry brushing, waiting for that to dry.

enginex1.jpg

enginex2.jpg

enginex3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Zilog

Amazing job! Enjoying your progress, hope you are able to stick with it.

• Advertisement

I still haven't finished off the Viper yet, BUT.. ive got a good bit done on the Falcon over christmas. Got a load of stuff boring stuff out of the way like washing all the hull pieces and even just opening up each package and sorting them. there is a lot of parts here.

I first finished screwing together the bottom hull frame..

bottomhullframe.jpg

I also wasnt happy with the factory made damage to the hull pieces, so broke out the dremel and made it look a bit more realistic. I forgot to take before photos except for the turret panel. Here is a photo of that and one other piece i used the dremel on, there are a lot more panels like this though..

hulldamage.jpg

This turret window also wasnt aligned right as per the falcon in the films, so i removed it and added back in where it should be.

turretwindow.jpg

I also glued together the pieces into a few of the hull recesses you can see on top and below the falcon, here is a couple. I primed these after these photos where taken as well.

recess.jpg

I then started adding the bottom hull pieces onto the frame. each one clips on first and is then screwed on from the opposite side. Here is a photo with some of them on. actually you can see on these the factory made "damage"..

bottomhull1.jpg

Once i had them all on i primed the entire piece with Tamiya white primer, i havent added on all the hull detail yet like little wires and "greeblies" etc i didnt want to put everything on there until after ive painted it the base colour.

primed.jpg

I then started on the top hull framme and managed to get most of it done at this stage. here is a photo of it with the bottom primed hull

primedandtop.jpg

After this i done a lot more sorting and washed the hull pieces that go on the top frame.

It was great to get a good start on it, hopefully keep the ball rolling now!

Hi, quick one, i started putting the hull pieces on the top frame. here is a few photos.

tophull1.jpg

tophull2.jpg

tophull3.jpg

Also here is a photo of some primed pieces. that long piece is a spare piece i have from a second copy of one of the issues, so i primed that and am going to use it as a test piece so i can try each step like pre-shading, base colour etc on it before i do it on the main model, just to test out before i wreck the main thing!

EDIT: Actually looking at that photo you can see i put too much white primer on that test piece and it pooled in recesses, so lesson learned there!

parts.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I love just popping by in here every now and again to see your progress. Im sure taking all the photos and uploading is adding to the time, but thanks for all the effort because its worth it.

Thanks a lot, ill keep updating as i do more stuff!

A lot of sorting of parts and building the recess ports for the falcon,all the little parts and pipes had to be glued into each of these "ports". Just getting them ready for priming now. Ive opened all the issues now and have the parts divided up into hull pieces, internal parts, and all the add on "greeblies" to go on the hull. Im not going to add the greeblies until after i have the base coat on the hull i decided. Ive to make a decision too if i want to get into adding extra leds. im not great with circuit boards and wiring etc so it would be a learning from scratch type of thing if i go down that road.

Ive decided im going to do some modification of the internal room and corridors in the falcon. the room with the alien chess table etc is in there. I think it needs some work to make it look right. Thats down the road a bit though. Im also going to mod the entrance ramp on it, it just doesnt look right, so im going to add a mesh floor to it. The ramp has a motor so it actually goes up and down, the kit comes with a remote for this ramp and the internal\external lights that come with it. Ive already added a load of leds to the cockpit when i did that about two years ago, im just hoping i can add them to the existing wiring somehow, we will see.

I also bought a base for the viper, but the piece of landscape i bought is too small to fit in the photo frame i planned on using. so i either need a new smaller frame or bigger piece of grass. Some photos of the viper with the cockpit on below and the piece of grass. along with the recess ports and some other parts to be primed from the falcon. Viper just needs to be sealed with some varnish and the canope glued on, then do the base and its finished. I did want to find some landscape grass that was long grass and somehow brush it up the middle so the grass is blowing to the sides as if the viper is blowing the grass outwards from itself as its flying, but i cant seem to find a landscape with grass long enough to do this!

viperg1.jpeg

viperg2.jpeg

viperg3.jpeg

viperg4.jpeg

grass.jpeg

recessparts.jpeg

small falcon update.

Spent a lot of time building more parts (all the legs, more of the top hull) and priming. below you can see 1 of the larger double legs before and after priming. there are 2 of these and 3 smaller single legs.

I also built more of the top of the falcon and primed it. had some issues priming some of the cockpit shell, i think it might of been the humidity outside. Im using tamiya rattle cans to prime but it didnt look right and i got some pooling in places. so im going to have to sand them down and prime again.

I also done some testing of the base coat paint. im using DOA Falcon paints, these airbrush straight on without thinning. i tested it on a spare piece i had and it looks good. i was worried because i bought these two years ago and wasnt sure if they had gone weird in the bottle since then but they look good. you can see the colour on some of the port recess pieces below. These colours are apparently an exact match to the filming studio model.

I also bought a new airbrush as my cheap 20 quid one wasnt up to the task of painting this right. so ive a Iwata dual action airbrush on the way. i needed something half decent to spray the grey panel lines on the hull before i put the base coat on.

Ive been thinking a lot about the internal hold (the room from the film with the chess table etc) as this is part of the model. i want to add some extra lighting to it and to mod the floor and some other parts as building it as is doesnt really look realistic. So im going to get some paragraphics kits for this. they are metal sheet pieces you cut off and add to the hold. ill also be scratch building some parts as well for wall recess as well as the little hole in the floor where han is trying to fix the hyperdrive in empire, this floor hole isnt included in the model. anyways thats down the road a bit.

as for the LED lights etc, ive no experience really using them and am not sure how to power them in the final model, if i can add them to the board that powers the lights that come with the kit or what. ive been looking at breadboards etc for wiring but honestly im lost and have to do a bit more research into it.

anyways enough waffle, here is some photos.

Top hull primed images

top1.jpeg

top2.jpeg

base coat on some of the recess ports, these will be weathered etc to look dirty.

base1.jpeg

One of the larger double legs before and after priming.

leg1.jpeg

leg2.jpeg

quick update, ive been trying to figure out what to do with the base of the viper.i got this grass sample in B&Q the weekend. im trying to have the grass blowing out with a split up the middle so it looks like the motion of the viper flying is blowing the grass away from the middleÞneath of it.

So, as weird as it sounds i got a brush out and brushed the grass sideways. haha..

its current sandwiched under a plank of wood in an tempt to flatten the grass in each direction. ill leave it there for a week and see what happens!

cutting to size..

grass1.jpeg

grass2.jpeg

its actually hard to capture in a photo but this is after brushing a bit with a split up the middle.

grass3.jpeg

Grass under the plank and being weighted down to flatten out more

plank.jpeg

I also threw together a quick table to build\spray the falcon on.

table1.jpeg

table2.jpeg

and my new airbrush arrived!

airbrush.jpeg

Tried out the airbursh yesterday on a test piece before doing anything on the falcon itself.

had this spare piece with tamiya white primer applied, badly. I dont know if it was the humidity in the air outside when i sprayed it or what (from a can) but you can see it didnt go on right.

testpiece1.JPG

Anyways, i used this piece to test the airbrush. using Vallejo german grey i darkened the panel lines.

testpiece2.JPG

Then after that dried i sprayed on the falcon base colour im using. I think it turned out ok, you can see some dark shading coming through from underneath. When this dries ill spray a small, slightly whiter colour just in the centre of each panel to give it some more depth.

testpiece3.JPG

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

quick update, ive been trying to figure out what to do with the base of the viper.i got this grass sample in B&Q the weekend. im trying to have the grass blowing out with a split up the middle so it looks like the motion of the viper flying is blowing the grass away from the middleÞneath of it.

So, as weird as it sounds i got a brush out and brushed the grass sideways. haha..

its current sandwiched under a plank of wood in an tempt to flatten the grass in each direction. ill leave it there for a week and see what happens!

Have you seen 'static grass' as used in other forms of modelling (trains primarily)? It really is the best way to represent grass in any scaled down version.

crw_6566_jfr.jpg

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=blogentry&attach_id=61101

eng.jpg

yeh, ive seen that before and used some of it. i dont seem to be able to find a large mat of it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

The static grass I know, and that I think Tabnabs is referring to, doesn't come in a mat it comes loose and you glue it on using an electrical static charge to hold the blades vertical while glue sets. Here is a quick demo video but is plenty more on youtube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYSAK1ezou4 . I've never used myself just seen used in some impressive diorama videos.

Thanks a lot, ill look into it! Im just being lazy trying to get it in a sheet haha

Got a good bit done today on the pre-shading, still not 100% happy with my air brushing but ill figure it out, i seem to get 20 minutes from it then i have to start fiddling with it, not sure if thats normal, it starts acting up, not spraying, etc..

anyways, quick image! They look weird with the black lines, but the falcon colour will sort that out.

preshading.JPG

I finished the base for the viper, not really happy with it, but im moving on.. for now.. the grass looks too fake.

viperbase10.JPG

viperbase11.JPG

viperbase12.JPG

Still struggling with blockages in the air brush, just cant seem to figure it out. It sprays, stops, sprays, like its blocked.. im completely cleaning it tonight but need to buy some proper air brush scrubber things.

I still managed to get some base coat on some pieces

1 Coat on here.. let that dry but decided too much of the panel shading was showing through, so put another coat on when it dried.

basecoatparts1.JPG

Second Coat, i think this looks better.

basecoathulllarge1.JPG

basecoatcorridor1.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Relikk

viperbase10.JPG

vJs0jhn.jpg

Amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Inviere

Are you using Flow Improver with the Vallejo Model Air paint?

No ive never tried that , ive seen it alright but havent got any yet, ive just sprayed vallejo straight from the bottle after a good shake. if you want to thin it down a bit though you can use tamiya x20a thinner. ive done that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Inviere

No ive never tried that , ive seen it alright but havent got any yet, ive just sprayed vallejo straight from the bottle after a good shake. if you want to thin it down a bit though you can use tamiya x20a thinner. ive done that before.

I bought a bottle of the Vallejo Flow Improver (for WHEN I start back modelling :o), after that video you showed me. Seems to be the job, as it's more than just thinning, it has other agents in it that prevent the paint drying too quickly (which is what I reckon could be happening to you). Also, everything I've read about the Vallejo Model Air states you can't, or shouldn't, use it direct from the bottle. Are you thinning enough for spraying?

Also, incredible work above man, hats off!

Thanks a lot, i actually figured out what was happening to me with the airbrush. it was the DOA falcon paint that was causing the problem, i didnt realize because im an idiot but its a water based paint and it had thickened from sitting there for over a year, even after shaking it!

so when i used it in the airbrush, there where small clumps that got stuck in it that i couldn't see. So when i was cleaning the airbrush (thought i cleaned it anyways) this was still stuck in the airbrush and causing issues then spraying with the vallejo.

I manage to spot the clumps in it because when i was cleaning it and while using some airbrush cleaner, blocking the nozzle with my finger and back spraying into the cup, it blew some of it out. once i cleaned that all out completely the vallejo is spraying fine for now.

That along with reducing the psi on the compressor down to about 10

I never really had an issue using the vallejo from the bottle with my crappy airbrushes, it was only this time, its how i sprayed the atst and the viper.

Ive only really thinned it with tamiya for making a wash, using vallejo smoke, i think i used that on some parts of the viper.

Im going to have to thin the DOA falcon paint with a bit of water and i bought these to put into the bottles to give them a good shake.

https://www.emodels.co.uk/ammo-by-mig-jimenez-stainless-steel-paint-mixers-8003.html

hopefully that sorts that out. But i will pick up a bottle of that flow stuff to give it a go alright, anything to improve it!

Quick update on it, got some work on the boarding ramp done during the snow. wasnt happy with how the original looked, the instructions tell you to paint the ramp floor grey, but i wanted to go a bit further with it.

First i sprayed some preshading panel lines using vallejo german grey on the ramp and other parts off it. I airbrushed the walkway part completely with it.

ramp1.JPG

ramp2.JPG

I had these modeling decking sheets id bought ages ago lying around

ramp3.JPG

So i cut up a couple of these with a knife to fit the ramp

ramp4.JPG

I then sprayed them using the german grey front and back

ramp5.JPG

While that was drying i masked off the grey walkway part and gave the rest of it two coats of the DOA falcon paint.

ramp6.JPG

ramp7.JPG

So i ended up with this

ramp8.JPG

Once all that was dried i glued on the decking

ramp9.JPG

I damaged the paint in some places so i touched it up using some brushed on german grey, then i dry brushed on some vallejo aluminum to make it looked like it was scuffed in places. looks much better than just painting it grey i think.

Once that drys in ill seal it with some matt varnish before it gets added to the rest of the falcon model. their is also a motor mech that needs to be added to this part to open and close the ramp using a remote.

ramp10.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭j14

It's good to know somebody else in Ireland is making this.

All 100 issues of mine are still sitting in a perspex container in my spare room.

I really have to get around to building it.

I was going to use DOA paints but I'm not too sure if Andy still making them.

Advertisement