Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build The Millennium Falcon

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Cool, get cracking! haha

ive spent the last month or so shaking my doa paints every couple of days to try to smooth them out theyve been sitting so long, i think its working..

ive slowed down the last couple of weeks, i was waiting for some additional lighting and various parts including the photoetch kit for the hull and corridors and a load of 3d printed landing lights i bought. Will be getting stuck back in soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

The initial website posted isn't working, is this the newer version ?

https://www.model-space.com/gb/build-the-millennium-falcon-model.html

Also, I've never done anything like this sort of thing before, any suggestions on maybe a starter model ?

Drumpot wrote: »
    The initial website posted isn't working, is this the newer version ?

https://www.model-space.com/gb/build-the-millennium-falcon-model.html

Also, I've never done anything like this sort of thing before, any suggestions on maybe a starter model ?

Looks like the domain is expired alright. Try this link

https://www.model-space.com/gb/star-wars-collectibles.html

I tried a Bandai atst kit and a mobious battlestar galactica viper. Watched a lot of YouTube videos first. I never built a model in my life previous to those ones. You just need the right tools as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Out of curiosity was there any videos or specific channels you found very good over others.

Yeh , I found this guys videos great. Helgan35

https://www.youtube.com/user/helgan35

He does the atst and viper. Some great tips in there and I didn’t find him boring to listen to.

“Modelmaking guru” is another good one too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Relikk

j14 wrote: »
    All 100 issues of mine are still sitting in a perspex container in my spare room.

I really have to get around to building it.

I'm the same, except I doubt I'll ever get around to it as I don't believe I have the space for it. It's massive!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DutchGoldblum

That's pretty sweet, looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Update post 1 of 2

Its been a couple of months and hadnt got much done up until this week. Ive done a few bits so have a few new images. these might take up a couple of posts as i think you can only put 10 images in per post. maybe im posted too much detail of the steps im doing to modify some parts, but sure why not.

First up, I pre-shaded the panel lines on the falcon top and bottom hull. Used Vallejo german grey with a few drops of thinner.

preshading1.JPG

preshading2.JPG

preshading3.JPG

Next up im primed the top and bottom gun turret pieces.

turretprime1.JPG

turretprime2.JPG

Then i started building the hold area inside the falcon. ill be trying to modify a lot of this. first thing is its missing two open wall compartments so needed to cut these out of the wall.

falconinteriorwall.jpg

Used a dremel to drill in holes then a blade to trim down. its rough but it doesnt matter really because ill be building a box out of styrene to go behind it and a frame that will cover the cut on this side.

wallpanel1.JPG

wallpanel2.JPG

wallpanel3.JPG

wallpanel4.JPG

Update post 2 of 2

Next up i started on the Sofa\Bunk area in the hold. In the image below you can see 3 things squared off.

1. the light at the bunk, this is just plastic in the kit, i wanted it to be an actual light.

2. the kit instructs you to complete the entire sofa, so this control panel is missing and the back of the sofa just continues right around. which isnt accurate.

3. I want to light the large control panel on the back of the sofa.

falconinteriorchair.jpg

So first of the light, i soldered two leds lights together (badly) and tested they where working. I then dremel'd a hole in underneath where they sit and fed the wire through to make sure it fits. Ill sand the bulb tops to make them flat and im going to spray them white and use a piece of a straw sprayed black to cover the middle soldering mess. The pics might give you a better idea, im not finished doing this yet. The light is very bright here but this will be fine one i spray paint it white.

light1.JPG

First image shows the little fake plastic light that comes with the kit.

light2.jpg

I then put together the sofa itself, i bought a photo etch kit to enhance some parts of the hold and this has the control panel both on the sofa itself and behind the top of it. along with decals to go on top when i install the fibers.

Built the chair first, leaving the last 3 back pieces off as is accurate to the falcon from the films. Ill also be repainting all these, they come with some black dirt stuff on them, but i think ill re paint them myself.

Here is the photoetch kit.

photoetchhold.JPG

Sofa with the end bits left off

chair.JPG

Photo Etch control panel added and back of sofa that sticks out filled for sanding down later.

chair2.jpg

and finally for now, the bunk together, the seam line filled for sanding later and the red arrow is pointing to the place the other control panel goes from the photo etch kit that will be lit by fibres eventually. i had to sand down the raised plastic detail here so the control panel can be added later.

bunk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭biketard

Oh wow, I'm really impressed at your attention to detail here.

• Advertisement

Thanks, hopefully i dont mess any of these modifications up to the point of ruining it haha, here is a few more pics as im on a roll with doing stuff on it lately.:pac:

The bunk sanded down and the bed part sealed off with masking tape to be sprayed.

bunk5.JPG

I made the recess boxes from styrene for the two panels i cut in the wall. These will be painted and filled with some parts from spare kits and wires. Still to cut out the covers for the walls to block the sloppy cutting i did.

wall4.JPG

wall5.JPG

Next the photo etch floor in place so i could mark off where i need to cut out the floor access panels. ill also be scratch building a recess box to go under the one on the right, where han etc trys to fix the falcons hyperdrive in empire. ill be leaving this right hand side one with the grate removed. both will be lit up.

floor1.JPG

and the holes cut in the floor.

floor2.JPG

Finally just a load of pieces primed up before painting them.

primed4.JPG

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mod:
    BigDaveTheRed is taking a forum vacation; as always don't feed the trolls but report their posts instead and they will be dealt with.

Had to some time to do a bit more on the Falcon this week. I finished scratch building the compartments to go in the hold wall. You can see the process in the image below.

Built the compartments from styrene and primed - Sprayed German Grey and added some spare bits i had spare - Then Dry brushed metallic - added some Rust and Soot - Finally added some wires and "Starship filth" oil paint.

bays1.jpg

Here they are glued onto the back of the wall. You can also see in this image sprayed the wall piece grey and then slightly Aluminium to give a metalic effect, you cant really see it in photos though, i have added the archway to the door as well. i used styrene to cut out those 9 bits that hold the archway to back wall instead of using the stock piece, because i want to run wire around the archway through them and add the cover from the photo etch. More on that in the next post.

backwall.jpg

Also working on the borders to cover the cut in the back wall where these compartments are.

covers.JPG

Also sprayed the floor and the photo etch floor. here is a pic of that, german grey first then a slight spray with aluminium.

floorspray1.JPG

With the chair in falcon, i filled the back of it which you will see when its installed.

chairpaint.jpg

I then sanded it and primed\painted it white.

chairpaint1.JPG

Then I covered it with the oil paint "Starship filth" and wiped it back off with a cloth..

chairpaint2.JPG

and ended up with this. it takes about a week for oil paint to dry, then ill spray it with a coat of varnish.

chairpaint3.JPG

Working on a few more bits, but thats all to post for now. thanks!!

Got a bit more done, still working on the hold. especially the first wall.

First image below is a stock image of the hold wall built as it comes with the kit.

This week i added the photo etch archway cover with the wires in behind it (after spray painting) added the pipes are adding the black\red\yellow stripes to them.

I dry brushed some of the control panels that come with the kit after spraying too. I still havent added the border\cover things for the two wall compartments on the right of the wall i made, i wasnt happy with them so them cut them again and waiting for paint to dry.

stockwall1.jpg

customwall1.jpg

customwall2.jpg

I couldnt resist test fitting the parts to see what it looks like so far. I also added the photo etch floor you can see here with the open floor compartments. Ill be closing the left one and scratch building the compartment to go below the floor in the right. Ill be adding some more wires and stuff to the back wall and still have a lot of fibre optics to add too.

holdtestfit1.JPG

A small update, i added the panels i made for the two compartments on the right. Added a wire going into the them, and dirtied up the pipes with some soot and a bit or rust on the left under the control panel.

falcondoorpanels.jpeg

Hi, been a while since i updated, havent had a chance to do much with the holidays etc. But what have done is posted below. Ive had awful trouble with the DOA Falcon paints i bought. People online where raving about them, how well they flow from an Airbrush etc so it seemed like a no brainer to get them as they are colour matched to the falcon.

But i just cant seem to get them to flow without spitting lumps of paint everywhere. Ive decided to go back to drawing board with regards the base colour and follow Steve Dizmos advice and just use Tamiya Insignia White, then build up the weathering from there. I already sprayed some pieces with the DOA paints, so have a test piece now sprayed with that, that ive covered with the Tamiya paint to make sure they dont cause any issues together before i re-do all the parts ive already done! DOA is waterbased so want to make sure. So far it seems ok.

In the meantime still working on the hold area. Started the back wall, first thing i noticed is its missing a light. You can see it in the image below. So using a piece of white sprew i had left over and some copper wire i created the light, hollowing out the back so i can fit an LED in there to light it up. Looking at this image now i just realised i need to another copper wire to it as the original has 3.. doh. easily fixed though.

holdempire.jpeg

holdlight.jpeg

Next up i started cutting out the missing door and wall compartments from the provided wall piece. I also started to create some missing bits and compartment covers myself using styrene. You can see this below. Still needs some work but it will make sense in the end. Very hard to find decent stock photos of this side of the hold too. Lots of pipes, wires and other stuff still to be added. added the wire holders to the archway.

holdbackwall1.jpeg

holdbackwall2.jpeg

Once they where done, i sprayed all those bits.

holdbackwall3.jpeg

Thats it for now!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,546 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

If I win the Euromillions from now until when you complete this, I'll wait for you to complete it. Then I'll ask you to name your price.
    (I'm not even a huge Star Wars fan)

The level of detail you are putting into this is simply incredible.

Bravo Sir. Bravo.

haha Thanks Andy, i just wish i had more time to get it done quicker!

Quick update as i had an hour to two last night to get some more done.

Looking at this image again where Leia is standing you can see a room in behind there. In Empire i think this is where Han and Leia are interupted by 3p0. :pac:

holdempire.jpeg

Anyways, with the kit i think they just give you a door to put on there, but not on my watch!

Luckily, for me, when this falcon came out my brother started getting it as well, but gave up after about 15 or 20 issues. Which means i got all his spare parts!

spareparts.jpeg

So i dug out what i think is one of the open ports on the hull of the faclon, with all bits and pieces in it. This will do me for a wall. First I cut one side of it off and the top as it was too big.

closetwall.jpeg

I then used some styrene to cut out a floor for this..

closetfloor.jpeg

Then a wall and a ceiling

closetrightwall.jpeg

closetceiling.jpeg

After that i had some other spare parts, so i added them to the blank walls just to make it stand out a bit. Once ive sprayed and painted this etc ill add some wires and stuff to make it look a bit more interesting.

closetextaparts.jpeg

This is what it looks like now, it will look better painted, weathered and with the extra wires and stuff. im also going to have a light in it too. it looks a bit bare at the minute because that wall also has stuff to go on it including the border for the door etc.

closetidea.jpeg

Thats it for now..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Now that is above and beyond, Optimus.

Not all heroes wear capes.

• Advertisement

Mods could i get this thread moved to the "Models" forum please? I think it might be better suited over there and i can get some advice off the guys with more experience than me!

Thanks a lot

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

EDIT by Mod:
    Thread moved to Models as requested.

Thanks a lot!

Last few days i sprayed a base coat of Vallejo German Grey. So far so good, ill let that dry then start adding some more bits to it.

closetbase.jpeg

I also got the Tamiya AS20 i ordered to try sort out the falcon base coat debacle. the water paints just didnt want to work. it was decent out yesterday with no wind out the back so i brought some pieces out and sprayed them. you can see the panel lines showing through the coat of AS20 here, i might leave them like this now or maybe give them another light coat.

The two main pieces had been sprayed with a white tamiya rattle can base coat then panel lined with german grey, but the back section with the vents i had sprayed with that DOA falcon paint, so i might panel line that again and give another coat of the AS20 just to try match the colours, because they look a bit different at the minute, that part and the main sections, you can see that in the last image, panel lines not as prominent and a slight different colour..

But i think the AS20 turned out great, very easy to spray from the can and went on flat.

Something i learned too building this model that is vital and never really mentioned, is get a dust brush and dust off the model before you spray anything on it. seems obvious but i didnt on a couple of parts and the paint seals the dust and it looks bad.

falconbase1.jpeg

falconbase2.jpeg

falconbase3.jpeg

A couple of small bits done this week, first up I added some wires,the cover and padding to the archway on the far wall. I also added the door frame of the small "closet" room and i used some "starship filth oil paint" on it to dirty it up a bit. you can see the difference in the before and after image below. ive used it before you basically smear it on with a brush then rub it back off with a cloth and some ear buds.

holdwalldoors.jpeg

While i had the oil out i also put some on the parts i made for the other cut out and the wall greebly. It takes ages for stuff to dry.

wallparts2.jpeg

Continuing on the hold, the wall that the couch\bed is on is just a blank piece of plastic. I found 1 image online of it and it has a large pipe on it that isnt included in the kit. So i decided to make one. i had a piece of plastic pipe from a broken stool\seat one of my kids had so i used that. You can see the progress below. i cut it in half so it will appear to be in the wall when completed. When the paint is dried ill give it a coat of starship filth as well to dirty it up a bit. There are two pipes on the far wall that came with the kit too, so while i had the oil out i put a coat of it on these as well (not pictured.)

custompipe.jpeg

Screw up of the week happened when i went to varnish some of the hold pieces. I did it out the back because i was using a rattle can and didnt want it going everywhere. big mistake, it looks like there was too much moisture in the air and it caused a clouding effect on some of the pieces. i got away with it for the most part but lesson learned here. I might buy one of those small pop up greenhouses to spray this indoors in future.

varnish.jpeg

Ive lots of other bits and pieces in various states at the minute. here is a pic with a few shots of them.

lotsofpieces.jpeg

and finally i gave the back top piece of the hull another panel line with german grey then another coat with the tamiya AS20 and it now (almost) matches the rest of the hull. yay.

For the first time i have that back piece on here and the front nose. My plan next is to put on all the greeblys and additional little bits and pieces, then give the whole thing another coat of the AS20 to dull down the panels lines a bit and to bring the back piece fully in line colour wise with the rest of it. Then ill start adding the colour panels to the various places, then weather it.

falconhulltogether.jpeg

Thats all for now!

Not much of an update this week, but got a few bits done.

First up i put an coat of "Starship filth" Oil on the pipe i made last week after the airbrushed coat and stripes dried. I rubbed this back off after a few seconds. I forgot to take an after photo though. doh.

pipeoilcoat.jpeg

Next up i added some spare bits i had to the back wall and then added some oil paint, rust and starship filth to parts of it. Made a bit of a screw up when i went to add one of the parts i made from styrene. It just didnt want to glue on and the glue clouded the paint, you can see it above the cut out wall in one of the images below. I managed to fix it though by adding the two skinny grey pipes to hide the messed up glue and using some oil paint to dirty up that part above the cut out section.

backwallparts1.jpeg

backwallparts2.jpeg

I then made a box to go behind the cutout parts of the wall, which i will add some spare parts and wiring etc to.

backwallbox.jpeg

and on the side wall, beside the Nav console i added in the pipes and some of the columns in front of them. In the kit thats basically it for that section, the columns just free stand there with nothing on top. but i decided to make a top for that, im going for a vent look on the front of it. The first flat piece of styrene i will be cutting a long hole in it too and putting an LED strip in there to shine light downwards onto the pipes.

You can see in the images a bit better what im going for.

sidewallvent.jpeg

These will all be sprayed etc for the next update. that back wall looks a bit rough at the minute, but with weathering etc i think it will be fine. There will also be a lot of barrels and cargo in front of it so i think it will be grand.

This update is mostly small stuff that takes ages. First up i glued together the Vent\Grill\Wall thing i built to go over the pipes on one of the hold walls. I cut a hole in it too so i can have a light shining down on the pipes and built a light box to stop light bleed ill be spraying black, you can see that in the second image its not sprayed yet.

holdpipegrill.jpg

walltoplightbox.jpg

Next i finished up painting the small room area i scratch built, added a wire and dry brushed it a bit. added some rust in places and a couple of coloured dots to represent lights. not much of it will be seen so its grand as is. it will have a light in it too when completed.

holdroompainted.jpg

Also finished off the small compartment on the opposite side of that wall as well.

wallboxfancy.jpg

I then used a hand drill and drilled holes for lights in the chair and the back part of the chair. they look a bit rough in places here but will be fine once i add the Decals over the holes. Also cut out some holes to run the wire from the lights through.

seatarealights.jpg

seatlightsdrilled.jpg

Here is back wall with the room lined up behind it, the compartment glued on and a couple of wires i added. bit of weathering too. Photo doesnt look great for some reason, paint looks weird on the wall. its not like that in person.

backwall21.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Great work, Optimus, thanks for sharing

A quick follow up-update for those still interested. I got some time to look at the lighting and how im going to do it, i was hoping to avoid fibres in some places by sticking lights underneath drilled holes, but its just not effective and if im going to do it i may as well do it right, so ive to wire up a few hundred fibres to various spots.

Today i drilled some holes in the nav console, you can see that below, I havent even started painting this yet.

navconsole.JPG

I made another pipe from styrene tube, sprayed it and placed it over the pipe i added yesterday, this hides the part where the bigger pipe is glued to the wall. I also added some rust and a bit of weathering to these.

pipeonpipe.JPG

And finally a look at the hold so far from both sides, still no lighting or anything added, but to be honest im happy enough with it. It looks better than i thought it would, i made a few mistakes on it but its coming together ok i think. Its a hundred times better than just building it stock.

navconsolewall.JPG

closetroomwall.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Just happened across this thread... wow! Your attention to detail is astounding.

Thread followed

• Advertisement

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    Just happened across this thread... wow! Your attention to detail is astounding.

Thread followed

Thanks a lot, i must post another update, im hoping to get some done over the christmas break.

Advertisement