Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xbox 360 slim not turning on

Options
  • 02-01-2015 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I can't find any good technical guides on all sorts of issues with this console as it's out of warranty.

Can anyone tell me where to look or what I should type into google to find such a thing....

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Google 'xbox 360 slim not turning on'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

degsie wrote: »
    Google 'xbox 360 slim not turning on'

Why? I'm looking for a technical guide for different issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

euser1984 wrote: »
    Why? I'm looking for a technical guide for different issues.

Er, because that's the title of your thread?.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Welcome to the Xbox forum.

There's not much technical guides out there, OP, so you might be better off giving us some information on what problems you are suffering from?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Ok, there is an orange light on the power supply - when I was looking at the console first yesterday (it belongs to someone else) first it turned green (touch sensitive power button; eject button did the same thing) for a second (including power supply button) and then went back to orange (psu) with nothing happening.

I took it apart and have the hard drive and optical disk drive removed. Funnily I am finding when I plug the power adapter in 3/4 of the way the fan spins but when I insert it fully that stops. There does not appear to be an issue with the usb ports shorting - i.e the connectors seem to be in place although the ports themselves could be in better condition.

I have the front fascia taken off and am using the little button instead of the touch sensitive switch to turn on. I am holding it down for a few seconds and nothing is happening. The power supply is plugged directly into the wall. Unfortunately I don't have a another psu to try.

Hope that's enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Don't turn it on with the dvd drive disconnected, that has lead to consoles being banned from XBL in the past I think.

Is everything disconnected from the usb ports? I'd wager the psu is faulty, though I think the led should turn red if that's the case

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

(Check the USB slots as well, if the contacts in there are touching off the metal surround, then it's shorting out.) EDIT: GAH! Did you edit that, or did I just miss a paragraph?

There's a video of how to "repair" a power supply on youtube, but I can't recommend it. Messing with power supplies is a good way to blast a hole in your floor/melt your Xbox.

The next step I'd do before anything else is try a replacement power supply. I know that you said you don't have a replacement power supply, but if you ask around here, someone might be willing to loan you one. Can't hurt to ask. I'm in London, so might not be much use to you.

Got my hands on another power supply today and no joy. At least I can rule that one out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement