Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First switch to Clipless

• 02-01-2015 2:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭

I have a 2011 Specialized Allex Double:

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/archive/2011/allez/allezallezx2

the last couple of years and have only ever had pedals with clips on them.

I feel the time has come to change over to clipless but I havn't a clue as to what ones to get so I am looking for someone to point me in the right direction. I will obviously need to get shoes too. I have no outstanding injury problems.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Do you need something easy to walk in?

If not, these are your pedals:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/speedplay-zero-chrome-moly-pedals/

Shoes are very personal, any shoe compatible with a 3 hole cleat will do.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Bennybeau

Look Keo pedals are a popular choice then after that as the previous poster has said shoes are a specific/personal choice for each cyclist. I wear size 11 shoes but my cycle shoes are size 10.
    If you have ambitions solely for cycling then go with cycling specific shoes.
    If you plan to do triathlons or can see yourself doing triathlons down the line then maybe look at tri-shoes. These are cycle shoes that are easy to get in and out of enabling quick transition in competition.
    I have a pair of "Lake" (brand) shoes which are great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

I wouldn't have thought I needed something easy to walk in unless I'm missing something......

It is an intention of mine to do triathlons this year

I wouldn't have thought I needed something easy to walk in unless I'm missing something......

It is an intention of mine to do triathlons this year

The "easy to walk" part applies to commuters mostly. Speedplay it is so, great pedals.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The most common type of road shoes have a protruding cleat which making walking difficult even for short distances (e.g. at a coffee stop) and dangerous on slippery tiles. Some people don't like this and prefer shoes with recessed cleats (e.g. SPD's). Walking with protruding cleats also wears away the cleats quickly.

As Brian? has said, recessed cleats are popular with commuters due to frequent unclipping at lights/junctions or if they have to walk a bit to work after locking up the bike. They are also popular with touring/sightseeing cyclists who may be walking frequently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭vermin99

Im considering putting clipless pedals on my road bike to and wondering how long does it take for the legs to get used to them, also I have a hybrid which I use for general use but this wont have clipless, will there be a problem between using the two different types from one day to another? thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Brian? wrote: »
    The "easy to walk" part applies to commuters mostly. Speedplay it is so, great pedals.

I haven't used speedplay, so can't really comment on them, but there may be a couple of other considerations;

- Budget, the linked pedals come in at €121, whereas you could get a set of SPDs for €20, SPD SLs for €24 or KEO easys for €38. For most people starting out, these cheaper options are fine, and you might get better value in terms of upgrading a €750 bike elsewhere.

- SPD pedal, either dual use or with a platform, can be easier to use, particularly if starting on a hill. Tension adjustable pedals also make clipping in and out very easy starting out.

- You could put touring pedals such as the A530 on both the road bike and hybrid, and then be able use both either with road shoes and cleats or regular shoes with out. You'd still have change when comparing to a single set of speedplays.

Depends whether you only goal is maximum performance in a racing environment or convenience and budget. Commuters aside, I've seen plenty of people hobbling up hills in cleats at the likes of the Wicklow 200.

I will be using the bike for commuting aswell so would this mean soeedplay are not as good an option

What's the difference between the soeedplay and the look keo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

If you are commuting then the SPDs are the best option IMO, cheaper pedals too.

The_Sub wrote: »
    If you are commuting then the SPDs are the best option IMO, cheaper pedals too.

What's the difference between the spds, spd sl and the keo easy

• Advertisement

This might help. I use spds on all my bikes since I started on a mountain bike and they've been fine.

I also prefer SPDs since they are double sided so can clip in easier in traffic.

rad-pedalsysteme.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

This might help. I use spds on all my bikes since I started on a mountain bike and they've been fine.

I also prefer SPDs since they are double sided so can clip in easier in traffic.
    I'm also thinking of making the jump to clipless - can you use spd cleats with road shoes?

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I'm also thinking of making the jump to clipless - can you use spd cleats with road shoes?

Once they're compatible with a two hole cleat. This tends to be more MTB shoes than road shoes.

A lot of shoes now have 2 & 3 holes so can take both.

If I got these SPDs that were suggested

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-m520-pedals/

What shoes would people suggest, I won't be walking around in them but I get caught at a good few lights on my commute, I would like a more race shoe

I have these at the moment,

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-rt32-spd-touring-shoes/

and also used these in the past but they didn't wear well.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-m10-mountain-bike-cycling-shoe/

These will work with both types of cleats,

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-r064-road-cycling-shoes/

also used these in the past but they didn't wear well.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-m10-mountain-bike-cycling-shoe/

I've had the previous generation of these for the past three years and find them great. Very comfortable and well priced.

The 'leather' on mine just started to peel away after about 6 months.

What shoes would people suggest, I won't be walking around in them but I get caught at a good few lights on my commute, I would like a more race shoe

Just saw that Shimano MTB shoes are 50% off on CRC at the moment, could be worth a punt.

I will be using the bike for commuting aswell so would this mean soeedplay are not as good an option

What's the difference between the soeedplay and the look keo

I know people who commute in speed play pedals. You can get cleat covers that make them safer to walk in on tiles and such. They're grand to walk in, just a little awkward.

Speed play have 2 advantages over Look pedals.

1. They're double sided, there's no orientation to pedal so you can clip in bothe sides. Much easier for a beginner.

2. Higher degree of float. This is the amount your foot can rotate while clipped in. Better for the knees.

Personally I don't think SPD pedals are suitable for road cycling. The cleat is so small, all of the pressure is applied to a much smaller area on the foot. SPD's are mountain bike pedals or for short distances.

To end this whole debate, Seán Kelly used Speedplay.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

It would appear my well thought out response was too late.

Re: Shoes. Don't buy online, go try some on in a shop. Not worth the risk.

they/them/theirs

Personally I don't think SPD pedals are suitable for road cycling. The cleat is so small, all of the pressure is applied to a much smaller area on the foot. SPD's are mountain bike pedals or for short distances.

I think it is incorrect to say that SPD pedals are unsuitable for long distances. I use them regularly for 150k+ spins all year round, and find them comfortable and convenient. No doubt you get slightly better power transfer with road specific cleats, which will be important racing, but I've no idea how this translates in terms of total percentage power gain. A couple of % at a guess, but I'd be interested in hearing from someone who uses both. As for the pressure being applied to a smaller area of the foot, this would only be true if the SPD cleats were attached directly to a flexible sole, whereas they're actually attached to a larger metal plate which is typically embedded in a rigid sole. What I do find with the M520 SPDs is they've a bit more float than I like, and the lack of a platform makes them more difficult to use for a few turns of the pedal than those with a platform. Personally I like the M424 as a cheap and cheerful pedal, if not the prettiest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭cython

Macy0161 wrote: »
    smacl wrote: »
    Once they're compatible with a two hole cleat. This tends to be more MTB shoes than road shoes.

Plus, you lose the main benefit of SPDs (IMHO), specifically walkability. In fact I would say SPDs on a road shoe are worse than both SPD-SL and Look, as at least the latter two standards have some grip on the cleats, whereas SPDs are just metal and become very slippy when not recessed in the sole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

FWIW I've been using SPD-SL for a few months now after years of Look, SPD, Time and Speedplay pedals, and my experience is that SPD-SL are a bitch to clip in to under pressure.

The worst case for clipping is an uphill traffic light junction where you need to take a defensive road position. In that case you really need to be able to get clipped in instantly, and that's where I sometimes struggle with SPD-SL. About 90% of the time it's fine, 5% of the time I manage to cleanly flip the pedal around with my toe, and 5% ends with protracted swearing and coasting for several seconds as I flip/stomp/flip/stomp

So I'm thinking of switching my commuting pedal strategy from cheapest-available-SPD-SL to cheapest-available-Look.

SPD are fine but they bring out the worst in shoe-floppiness and are not as secure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I plan on buying these for my commute, and for some longer journeys.

It's my first venture into clipless. Is there a particular type of shoe that I need to use with this?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-pd-t400-click-r-clipless-mtb-pedals/rp-prod104618

prod104618_IMGSET?wid=500&hei=500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

smacl wrote: »
    ... but I'd be interested in hearing from someone who uses both...
    I use both all the time. I have SPD's on 2 bikes and SPD SL's (Look Keo) on the other 2. There isn't a huge difference IMO but there would be a slightly better power transfer on the SPD SL's and they look better. They also work better with overshoes as the cleat takes the wear rather than the sole of the overshoe as in SPD's. On the other hand, double sided SPD pedals are great for hill starts and heavy stop/start situations or when a bit of walking has to be done. They also have dual side clip-in. I've done many long spins in them including one 300+ ride and haven't had any pressure issues.

Personally I don't think SPD pedals are suitable for road cycling. The cleat is so small, all of the pressure is applied to a much smaller area on the foot. SPD's are mountain bike pedals or for short distances..

do you mean racing or just cycling a road bike? if its the later I've never had problems even over 100k (or is that still considered short distance?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭cython

They will work, but I wouldn't say they'd be a particularly good companion for the reasons in my earlier post:
    cython wrote: »
    Plus, you lose the main benefit of SPDs (IMHO), specifically walkability. In fact I would say SPDs on a road shoe are worse than both SPD-SL and Look, as at least the latter two standards have some grip on the cleats, whereas SPDs are just metal and become very slippy when not recessed in the sole.
    Those tri shoes will work with SPD cleats and pedals, but you will get none of the traditional benefits of SPDs, and all of the drawbacks, as well as some of the drawbacks of road cleats (dodgy to walk in).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

I am looking for someone to point me in the right direction.

For the road, I only use Speed Play pedals. I like the Stainless Steel model. I do not think any pedal out there offers as much freedom for your knees as the Speed Play.

Off road, I use Time ATAC pedals.

If you are just going to be on the road, you will not be doing much walking. For off road use, the spd or Time type pedals are handy when you have to run or hike-a-bike.

cython wrote: »
    They will work, but I wouldn't say they'd be a particularly good companion for the reasons in my earlier post:

Those tri shoes will work with SPD cleats and pedals, but you will get none of the traditional benefits of SPDs, and all of the drawbacks, as well as some of the drawbacks of road cleats (dodgy to walk in).

Please excuse my ignorance, I thought that the tri shoe was an spd shoe

do you mean racing or just cycling a road bike? if its the later I've never had problems even over 100k (or is that still considered short distance?)

Fair enough, you've been trouble free. But I've heard some terrible things about SPD pedals over longer distance.

They are, after all, a MTB pedal.

they/them/theirs

they/them/theirs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Fair enough, you've been trouble free. But I've heard some terrible things about SPD pedals over longer distance.

I'd be interested to hear them. I've been using them on both bikes and have done long trips 100-200k without issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

FISMA wrote: »
    For the road, I only use Speed Play pedals. I like the Stainless Steel model. I do not think any pedal out there offers as much freedom for your knees as the Speed Play.

Off road, I use Time ATAC pedals.

If you are just going to be on the road, you will not be doing much walking. For off road use, the spd or Time type pedals are handy when you have to run or hike-a-bike.

@fisma, Speedplay may look totally pro, but they're hardly ideal for a first time clipless user like the OP now, are they? He doesn't need their extortionate cost, tricky cleat setup and regular maintenance regime. He's better off getting something cheap and easy to use like the Look Keo Easy if he's a roadie or the cheapest SPD (they're all equally good. Just the more you spend the lighter they get) if he's a commuter

Lots of people use SPDs for touring.

Blorg (of this parish) cycled to China and then on around SE Asia in SPD sandals.

TychoCaine wrote: »
    @fisma, Speedplay may look totally pro, but they're hardly ideal for a first time clipless user like the OP now, are they? He doesn't need their extortionate cost, tricky cleat setup and regular maintenance regime
    +1.

One look at the Speedplay install instructions and disclaimers is enough to put anyone off clipless pedals for life.

Lumen wrote: »
    +1.

One look at the Speedplay install instructions and disclaimers is enough to put anyone off clipless pedals for life.

Anyone put off Speedplay by the instructions must have to call an electrician to change a lightbulb.

As for a "maintenance regime", I've been using them for a couple of years and am oblivious to said regime. I clean and occasionally lube te cleats.

they/them/theirs

@fisma, Speedplay may look totally pro, but they're hardly ideal for a first time clipless user like the OP now, are they? He doesn't need their extortionate cost, tricky cleat setup and regular maintenance regime. He's better off getting something cheap and easy to use like the Look Keo Easy if he's a roadie or the cheapest SPD (they're all equally good. Just the more you spend the lighter they get) if he's a commuter

My recommendation has zero to do with looking "pro". It's about the best type of pedals I've used.

Look Keo pedals are grand, but single sided. For someone learning to ride clipless a double sides pedal is easier.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Anyone put off Speedplay by the instructions must have to call an electrician to change a lightbulb.
    Lots of people are intimidated by installing regular bicycle pedals.

These are the latest Speedplay instructions.

Zero pedal and cleat - installation, operation and maintenance

My recommendation has zero to do with looking "pro". It's about the best type of pedals I've used.

Look Keo pedals are grand, but single sided. For someone learning to ride clipless a double sides pedal is easier.
    I totally agree that they're a great pedal, but they're a bloody expensive way to get a double-sided option. The cheapest speedplays are around the same price as pro-level Look & Shimano alternatives. The stainless Speedplays you're recommending are €180 a pair! Double-sided SPD pedals start at €25.

As for a "maintenance regime", I've been using them for a couple of years and am oblivious to said regime. I clean and occasionally lube te cleats.
    The manual says you're supposed to re-lube the pedals with a grease gun "immediately after riding in wet, rainy or unusually dusty conditions". In Ireland that's pretty much a daily occurrence this time of year. Damage due to lack of this lubrication isn't covered by the warranty. Look pedals on the other hand are pretty much sealed for life. Some people service theirs annually, but there's no requirement in the manual.

Lumen wrote: »
    Lots of people are intimidated by installing regular bicycle pedals.

The poor dears. I'll spare their feelings and never reccoment Speedplay pedals again. Imagine, they have SEVEN screws. /sarcasm
    These are the latest Speedplay instructions.

Zero pedal and cleat - installation, operation and maintenance

Hardly an intimidating document.

they/them/theirs

The manual says you're supposed to re-lube the pedals with a grease gun "immediately after riding in wet, rainy or unusually dusty conditions". In Ireland that's pretty much a daily occurrence this time of year. Damage due to lack of this lubrication isn't covered by the warranty. Look pedals on the other hand are pretty much sealed for life. Some people service theirs annually, but there's no requirement in the manual.

There's a very simple test to know if the pedals need to be regreased. My pedals have yet to fail said test. That's 2 years after buying them 2nd hand.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

And yet each time this comes up we have many posters saying they happily do 200k+ cycles on them and nobody saying the opposite. I'm another person who does long cycles on them with no problems.

They're even the defacto touring pedal!

As to them being a MTB pedal, that means as much as a cassette being a MTB cassette because it has a wide gear range - nothing, it's historical or marketing.

As far as I can make out none of them have decently stiff soles. Don't try to go for the cheap option.

Is there a shoe you could recommend To me Brian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

I bought Speedplays on recommendation from users of this forum (probably Brian by the sounds of it) They are the first type of pedal I have ever used. My main reason for purchase was for the 15 degree float offered on the zeros. I have bad knees and so far I have found them very easy to use. The fact that you can clip in on both sides appealed to me greatly too and have made taking off very quick from all positions. They are also quite easy to walk in. The setting up process is simple enough, I've yet to do any maintenance on them. As far as I remember they recommend re-greasing after every 1K. I don't know where people get the idea that they are 'advanced'. On paper they seemed like the ideal pedal for a beginner. They are a bit dearer but I was willing to pay that to save the knees.

Using entry level shimano r064 shoes - dead comfy.. and they seem to have a nice stiff sole..but i have nothing to compare that too

Is there a shoe you could recommend To me Brian

What's the absolute most you're willing to spend?

they/them/theirs

What's the absolute most you're willing to spend?

Absolute most would probably be €100

• Advertisement
Advertisement