Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip Hop 2015

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Pink Lemons

Meow The Jewels is out!! Haven't got a chance to listen to it yet but I'm sure it'll be an experience :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Andy_rse wrote: »
    Too much music not enough time!

Verbal Kent
    Blackalicious
    Mr J Medeiros
    Apollo Brown

Got all of these recently and only have had time to skim through or had them on in the background bit they all sound class and can't wait to set aside the time to listen to them properly.

Looking forward to Apollo Brown, should be interesting to see if he's advanced his beats a bit. They are getting a bit stale for me on his last few projects.

The new Blackalicious single is great, need to check out the full album to see how they are getting on these days.
    Meow The Jewels is out!! Haven't got a chance to listen to it yet but I'm sure it'll be an experience :pac:

Yep, it sounds interesting. I just got a new cat, gonna listen to it properly with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Pink Lemons

Been playing through this this morning, instrumental version of the latest Ratking tape. Nobody is making beats anywhere close to Sportling Life right now imo.

Put out a solo album recently as well!

https://sportinglife.bandcamp.com/album/55-5s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

anyone check out the
    Ty de Tyrant and Dj Trickalome album Breaking Boundaries ?
    its available on Soundcloud ,
    def worth check out .

I'm liking the new EP by Damien Streets - "the love Carter EP" .

there some class upcoming pure underground albums between now and xmas

Eskr-one
    Blaq Masq
    Dr Creep
    all coming soon

Andy_rse wrote: »
    Too much music not enough time!

Verbal Kent
    Blackalicious
    Mr J Medeiros
    Apollo Brown

Got all of these recently and only have had time to skim through or had them on in the background bit they all sound class and can't wait to set aside the time to listen to them properly.

Apollo Brown album is very good

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

baddebt wrote: »
    anyone check out the
    Ty de Tyrant and Dj Trickalome album Breaking Boundaries ?
    its available on Soundcloud ,
    def worth check out .

I'm liking the new EP by Damien Streets - "the love Carter EP" .

there some class upcoming pure underground albums between now and xmas

Eskr-one
    Blaq Masq
    Dr Creep
    all coming soon

I must be slipping, I don't know any of these :pac:

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I must be slipping, I don't know any of these :pac:

Im sure you'll like the Ty de Tyrant album
    and damien Streets EP
    I'll post the links when I get home from work (no access to soundcloud or anything like it, from work).

not sure about the others though its a bit darker than anything posted ,
    Dr Creep has plenty of albums on his Bandcamp page ,

Did you check out the William Cooper Album - Gods Will ?

baddebt wrote: »
    Im sure you'll like the Ty de Tyrant album
    and damien Streets EP
    I'll post the links when I get home from work (no access to soundcloud or anything like it, from work).

not sure about the others though its a bit darker than anything posted ,
    Dr Creep has plenty of albums on his Bandcamp page ,

Did you check out the William Cooper Album - Gods Will ?

Nope, I have it written down on one of my many 'get this' lists I have all over the place.

I've been listening to way more podcasts these days which is making those lists grow.

Nope, I have it written down on one of my many 'get this' lists I have all over the place.

I've been listening to way more podcasts these days which is making those lists grow.

a podcast I highly recommend (if you dont already listen to it ) is DJ Chris G -Straight from the underground , its weekly and about 10hours (split into 5 or 6 parts). http://sftu.podomatic.com/

here's the link for the ty de tyrant album , see what you think
    http://www.audiomack.com/album/bttb/breaking-through-the-boundaries

• Advertisement

sons phonetic just released this album
    https://sonsphonetic.bandcamp.com/album/forgotten-cuts

• Registered Users Posts: 37 killilea92

The Underachievers - Evermore: The Art of Duality

The game - Documentary 2 is out soon, can stream it now tho.. i like it but iv been a game fan since i was like 14 :)

joey Badass in concert in november! thats gunna be sick :) support hasnt been announced yet but would love FBZ or someone like that :)

this new album from Angel de Soloist is pretty dope
    https://angelthasoloist.bandcamp.com/album/exit-thru-gift

Anyone hear the new Jus Allah Album yet ? (at least he's stopped b1tchin about AOTP on twitter)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

Anyone check out The Games new album? Its pretty solid, I'm liking it. The west is back on top.

Anyone check out The Games new album? Its pretty solid, I'm liking it. The west is back on top.

Not yet, I generally give his albums one listen and wonder what all the hype is about. I'll give this one a whirl as well though to see what it's all about.

Listened to Jay Rock again over the weekend, what an album.
    Re listening to Mac Miller now and it's definitely a grower.

Some older heads may remember a group called Mood (album called Doom), they have a new album out called 'Into The Mood' which I shall be checking out later.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭melted_face

haven't listened to the full album yet but don't trip is one of the songs of the year imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q6cHp3PSk0

best remix ive heard in a long time

Listened to The Games new album, it's alright, nothing amazing.....well the amazing part is that all those samples got cleared.
    If your not inclined to listen to the album, for the first 5 or 6 songs there are some classic rap songs sampled. Then it gets sprinkled throughout the rest of the album.
    But there is too much depandancy on using buzzwords....such as having songs called Hashtag, 100 and relying on songs called LA and NY which have all been done to death at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭AG918

Liking The Game's new album, particularly the tracks with Kendrick and Premier. Don't Trip is cool too. There are a few duds but enjoyed it all the same.

He's releasing the 2nd disc (which as far as I can tell is more or less a separate album?) this week. Will be interesting to see how it compares to the first.

Jay Rock's album is solid too, been a good year so far for the West.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Deep Six

I have to say the Documentary 2 and 2.5 are excellent, last album I really enjoyed from Game was Doctors Advocate. D2 goes for the heavy beats but D2.5 is the opposite, smooth and chilled and a perfect soundtrack for a couple of smokes. Have these on repeat:

• Registered Users Posts: 47 WhatHappened

A couple of the year's best that I don't think have been mentioned in the thread yet.

Although the search function isn't working properly for me so maybe they have! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Myka 9 & Factor - "Famous Future Time Travel"

urbnet.bandcamp.com/album/famous-future-time-travel

Abstract Rude & Myka 9 - "AyeM Ray-Dio"

keepthefeel.bandcamp.com/album/ayem-ray-dio

Awol One & Factor - "Crossroads EP"

awolone.bandcamp.com/album/crossroads-ep

Milo - "So the Flies Don't Come"

miloraps.bandcamp.com/album/so-the-flies-dont-come

Self Jupiter - "Vista View Park Art District"

selfjupiter3.bandcamp.com/album/vista-view-park-art-district

Terra Bella (Mr Lif, Ayla Nereo & Polish Ambassador) - "Terra Bella"

mrlif.bandcamp.com/album/terra-bella-full-album

(sorry, can't post links yet)

A few more...

Factor - "Singles Series"

factorchandelier.bandcamp.com/album/singles-series

Bambu - "5AM in Manila"

bambubeatrock.bandcamp.com/album/5am-in-manila-ep

Evil Ebenezer - "All That's Left"

urbnet.bandcamp.com/album/all-thats-left

Shut-ins and the Colony - "Underwrought (Re)Works"

neonautumn.bandcamp.com/album/underwrought-re-works

Ceschi - "Broken Bone Ballads"

fakefour.bandcamp.com/album/broken-bone-ballads

Edward Scissortongue & Lamplighter - "Chavassian Striking Distance"

edwardscissortongue.bandcamp.com/album/chavassian-striking-distance

And some instrumental stuff.

2econd Class Citizen - "Old Folk Wine" & "A Hall of Mirrors"

2econdclasscitizen.bandcamp.com/album/old-folk-wine

digital.thecontentlabel.com/album/a-hall-of-mirrors

Hancock - "New Animal"

jameshancock.bandcamp.com/album/new-animal

Skyrider - "Ghost Dance"

skyridermusic.com/album/skyrider-ghost-dance

Jel - "Greenball 5"

jelsmusic.bandcamp.com/album/greenball-5

Emancipator - "Seven Seas"

emancipator.bandcamp.com/album/seven-seas

I actually thing it's one of the best albums of the year.

It's also Games best album / work since DA, his rhyming is actually at high level here and there is some phenomenal tracks / beats.
    Name dropping is part and parcel of him though so my advice expect it in all his work.

There is a couple of tracks that should have been left out and it would have been a little bit more focused but all in all 9/10 for me.

Normally if I stop playing an album after 10 plays or so I wouldn't bother again but not this album. I will be putting this in my car for sure.

Fav tracks;

New album called Carnelian by Kill The Vultures is out, it's ace. You can listen to it on Soundcloud as well.
    https://soundcloud.com/kill-the-vultures/sets/carnelian

Excellence as usual from Crecent Moon, and the beats are reall interesting, lots more strings and a few more samples thrown in. Beats are dope.

A couple of the year's best that I don't think have been mentioned in the thread yet.

Myka 9 & Factor - "Famous Future Time Travel"

urbnet.bandcamp.com/album/famous-future-time-travel

Abstract Rude & Myka 9 - "AyeM Ray-Dio"

keepthefeel.bandcamp.com/album/ayem-ray-dio

Self Jupiter - "Vista View Park Art District"

selfjupiter3.bandcamp.com/album/vista-view-park-art-district

Terra Bella (Mr Lif, Ayla Nereo & Polish Ambassador) - "Terra Bella"

mrlif.bandcamp.com/album/terra-bella-full-album

Must check out those Myka9 and Abstrakt Rude ones, I've lost touch with them over the year.
    The Terra Bella album is OK, a bit rough if I recall correctly.

Is Self Jupiter Noah 23 by any chance?
    Ceschi - "Broken Bone Ballads"

fakefour.bandcamp.com/album/broken-bone-ballads
    Not a bad album at all, I wouldnt be a mad fan of his, but a decent effort. The track with Sage Francis is great.

Is Self Jupiter Noah 23 by any chance?

No, from Freestyle Fellowship. What makes you say that?

Noah did put out a few projects this year (scattered across four different Bandcamp pages for fear of people actually hearing them :p), but I think he's been kind of sucking for the past while doing his trap/cloud thing. His "Street Astrology" album last year was terrible.

"Noah23 x Blown" - candydrips.bandcamp.com/album/noah-23-x-blown (a handful of good tracks, "Boom Bap", "Carry On", "Stars")

"Noah23 x Wardove" EP - wardove.bandcamp.com/album/noah23-x-wardove-three-b4-fifteen (first track is pretty cool, rest is blah)

"Peacock Angel" - noah23.bandcamp.com/album/peacock-angel (double album with barely anything decent on it)

"Traveling Songs" EP - weirdwaters.bandcamp.com/album/traveling-songs (throwaway folk side project with All Things Invisible)

He has another one, "Aquarian Alien", coming out in a few weeks.

I just recall him saying Self Jupiter in a few of his songs, maybe it was a reference to the fellowship.

• Advertisement

Anyheard the new Semi Hendrix(Ras kass and Jack Splash )Album - breakfast at Banksys ?

Im liking it
    , new album from Poet on Drugs - the age of infinite terror is dope as is the new Scarface album .

Advertisement