Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip Hop 2015

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

New Roots Manuva album is excellent - stream me

• Registered Users Posts: 47 WhatHappened

Phantom Balance - "You Are Going to Die Soon."

phantombalance.bandcamp.com/album/you-are-going-to-die-soon

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

baddebt wrote: »
    Anyheard the new Semi Hendrix(Ras kass and Jack Splash )Album - breakfast at Banksys ?

I just can't listen to Ras Kass anymore, he delivers so many disappointing projects that I've given up filtering them out

Nobs put out his first rap project in about 8 years or so (as Chris).

ugsmag.com/nobs-my-tape/

Swamp Thing's fourth annual Halloween album "Planet Murk"

urbnet.bandcamp.com/album/planet-murk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,691 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Bleeds has just landed in my iTunes library
    :D:D:D:D
    I'm having it all day long!!!

I already had 'One Thing' & 'Facety' a few weeks from the pre order, but finally have the complete album now.

The guy is (still) a genius.

Just a quick follow up from The Games new albums; just finished listening to 2.5. I actually think it's even better than 2.0. Much darker @ times.

DJ Quik produces a class track on it. Will go into more detail when I get a couple of more listened this evening.

*Edit* here it is:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

For his own health sake, I hope he does...but what can he offer now? I mean all the great rhymes he wrote turned into albums for Dre, Snoop and others so there's hardly anything in the vault. And his voice is still absolutely f*cked. Such a shame, his debut album is as good as The Chronic, lyrically much better. Dre's production was brilliant too. Considering it was written and recorded before the 90's it is an insane album.

Jared Paul's debut solo album "Get My Ghost" on Sole's new label

blackboxtapes.bandcamp.com/album/jared-paul-get-my-ghost

• Advertisement

A good sampler/compilation of Guante material from earlier in the year.

guante.bandcamp.com/album/a-love-song-a-death-rattle-a-battle-cry

A couple of new jams that I'm into.

Alexander Spit x Pell x Hodgy - Marcianos.
    https://soundcloud.com/alexanderspit/marcianos-feat-hodgy-beats-pell

Mixed Blood Majority - Same Thing Coming......plus a new f*cking album on the way.
    https://soundcloud.com/mixedbloodmajority/same-thing-coming

@WhatHappened - I've given up on Guante, a bit too preachy these days for me. Similar to Sole or anything he is associated with, too militant. Although I love his first few albums.

Yeah, I don't like Sole's last few albums at all, particularly the Pain 1 material. "Ruthless Criticism" and the Skyrider Band albums were very good though.

Guante can be preachy, but I think that's always been true. Both the Big Cats records were great imo.

Botzy, Dig Mode & The Once-ler - "Pale Blue Dot"

polkadotmayhem.bandcamp.com/album/pale-blue-dot

The Once-ler - "Before Me"

theonce-ler.bandcamp.com/album/before-me-2

Pictureplane's new album "Technomancer" is out on Anticon

anticon.bandcamp.com/album/technomancer

Yeah, I don't like Sole's last few albums at all, particularly the Pain 1 material. "Ruthless Criticism" and the Skyrider Band albums were very good though.

Guante can be preachy, but I think that's always been true. Both the Big Cats records were great imo.

Check out the recent Big Cats & Homeless album, it's decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Never mind your Drake vs Meek Mill. This could be interesting

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Check out the recent Big Cats & Homeless album, it's decent.

Yeah, that was okay. I think Homeless is kind of average though. Big Cats' "For My Mother" is probably my favourite instrumental hip hop album of the past few years, so I'd love if he'd work with better rappers. I do like Guante in general though.

A few things that aren't on Bandcamp that are worth checking out. They're on iTunes, Spotify, etc.

Existereo & Paris Zax - "Dirt Road Holiday"

youtube.com/watch?v=jR3IGZf3IBU

Asphate (of Maxilla Blue) & Maker - "Closed Doors to an Open Mind"

youtube.com/watch?v=blUsnLS9-P0

L*Roneous & 2Bers - "Kill to Sing the Blues"

youtube.com/watch?v=t7pKGJj7S9s

A few other new Backburner crew albums to go with the new Swamp Thing

Backburner - "Eclipse"

handsolorecords.bandcamp.com/album/eclipse

Ambition, Timbuktu & Uncle Fester - "My Giants"

mygiants.bandcamp.com/album/my-giants

More or Les & Recordface - "Post Millennium Tension"

handsolorecords.bandcamp.com/album/post-millennium-tension

Ghettosocks & DJ Jon Deck - "We're Gonna Drink a Lot of Wine This Year, Boys. 2"

music.ghettosocks.com/album/were-gonna-drink-a-lot-of-wine-this-year-boys-2-mixtape

Wordburglar - "Rapplicable Skills"

propsdept.bandcamp.com/album/rapplicable-skills

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Listened to The Games new album, it's alright, nothing amazing.....well the amazing part is that all those samples got cleared.
    If your not inclined to listen to the album, for the first 5 or 6 songs there are some classic rap songs sampled. Then it gets sprinkled throughout the rest of the album.
    But there is too much depandancy on using buzzwords....such as having songs called Hashtag, 100 and relying on songs called LA and NY which have all been done to death at this stage.

That's game in a nutshell, dependant on features and buzz words, the name dropping is off the scale once again.

In all it's a good effort, nothing spectacular by any means and a massive improvement on his previous album blood moon, which was the worst effort of his career.

The original documentary is still his best album though, should of stayed clear of labelling this as a sequal.

^ I have 2.5 to listen to today, I'm expecting more of the same but I'll be as open minded as possible.

That's game in a nutshell, dependant on features and buzz words, the name dropping is off the scale once again.

In all it's a good effort, nothing spectacular by any means and a massive improvement on his previous album blood moon, which was the worst effort of his career.

The original documentary is still his best album though, should of stayed clear of labelling this as a sequal.
    ^ I have 2.5 to listen to today, I'm expecting more of the same but I'll be as open minded as possible.

I actually prefer 2.5 over 2.0 and to be fair is his best work in years. As you say, stay open minded about it.

New Cocoon sampler

newcocoon1.bandcamp.com/album/forming-the-chrysalis

Big Cats' new jazz/funk band Catsax just released their debut

catsax.bandcamp.com/album/catsax

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Le_Dooner

'The Ghetto' track on the Documentary 2.5 album is another belter of a collaboration with Nas. Surprised they haven't tried to do an album together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

Le_Dooner wrote: »
    'The Ghetto' track on the Documentary 2.5 album is another belter of a collaboration with Nas. Surprised they haven't tried to do an album together.

The Game doesn't deserve an album of Nas verses. If any West Coast artist were to do an extensive collab with Nas it would have to be Fashawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Le_Dooner

Andre 3000 wrote: »
    The Game doesn't deserve an album of Nas verses. If any West Coast artist were to do an extensive collab with Nas it would have to be Fashawn.

I don't know if I'd go as far to say he doesn't deserve an album with Nas, after all its not like their haven't been collaborations in the past that had differing qualities of MCs. Perhaps he could do a few tracks on an ensemble album of some sort...

Busdriver - "Thumbs"

busdriver-thumbs.bandcamp.com/album/thumbs-2

• Advertisement

Andre 3000 wrote: »
    Suddenly he doesn't deserve to be near Nas?? Pff
    Excessive tbh

Advertisement