Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip Hop 2015

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I listened to the first few songs on 2.5, it sounded much better that 2.0.
    The tracks flowed much better together.....but still loads of samples. I would hate to have had to clear the sample on those 2 albums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Suddenly he doesn't deserve to be near Nas?? Pff
    Excessive tbh

Suddenly doesn't ? He never did. Come on, Nas is one of, if not the greatest ever...and The Game is an average rapper who was lucky to have 50 Cent and Dr Dre to give him the best platform possible in this genre. He really doesn't deserve an album with someone of the calibre of Nas.
    In fact very few artists deserve an album with Nas. Besides AZ and Dj Premier for obvious reasons, there's only a handful of hip hop artists who'd do justice to a full album with Nas. The Game isn't one of them. Not by a long shot. The Game is one of my favourite artists, The Documentary is one of my top 5 favourite albums, but he has no business or place near an album with Nas.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Le_Dooner

Andre 3000 wrote: »
    Suddenly doesn't ? He never did. Come on, Nas is one of, if not the greatest ever...and The Game is an average rapper who was lucky to have 50 Cent and Dr Dre to give him the best platform possible in this genre. He really doesn't deserve an album with someone of the calibre of Nas.
    In fact very few artists deserve an album with Nas. Besides AZ and Dj Premier for obvious reasons, there's only a handful of hip hop artists who'd do justice to a full album with Nas. The Game isn't one of them. Not by a long shot. The Game is one of my favourite artists, The Documentary is one of my top 5 favourite albums, but he has no business or place near an album with Nas.
    In terms of 'new' rappers, yeah they aren't on his level, but arguably few ever were. Lets just have a Nas/Wu Tang/Roots album for the heck of it

Le_Dooner wrote: »
    In terms of 'new' rappers, yeah they aren't on his level, but arguably few ever were. Lets just have a Nas/Wu Tang/Roots album for the heck of it

Of "new rappers", Elzhi and Fashawn would do justice to a collab album with Nas. Elzhi in particular. Lupe would have been another one a few years ago.

I would love a Roots/Nas collab. The Roots are consistently putting out top material and Black Thought still has it. A Wu collab in the 90's would have been great but nowadays? Not so much. Excluding Ghostface who is still putting out good material, even the Wu have fallen.

Of "new rappers", Elzhi and Fashawn would do justice to a collab album with Nas. Elzhi in particular. Lupe would have been another one a few years ago.

I would love a Roots/Nas collab. The Roots are consistently putting out top material and Black Thought still has it. A Wu collab in the 90's would have been great but nowadays? Not so much. Excluding Ghostface who is still putting out good material, even the Wu have fallen.

Well I'd still listen to it anyway, regardless of whether you think they fell off. I'm pretty sure if the option to collaborate came up and they were hungry for it to be a success it would. As well as Ghostface, Inspectha Deck is still putting out nice material with 7L & Esoteric, as is Meth, and I'd be pretty confident Raekwon would hold his own. Anyway this was just a thought, will almost certainly never happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

New rappers? El has been around for 15 years, Fashawn 10.

Orizio wrote: »
    New rappers? El has been around for 15 years, Fashawn 10.

Anything after 2000 is new in my eyes. Elzhi is pushing it considering he was fooling around with stuff in the late 90's but only got his act together a few years later. Fashawn is most certainly a new age rapper. Both only released their first solos under ten years ago, so I'd definitely consider them new. I refuse to buy into the Rae Sremmurd and Fetty Wap garbage, so "new" rappers are few and far between. This isn't a "real hip hop" thing either...it's just I cannot f*ck with that garbage.

Anything after 2000 is new in my eyes. Elzhi is pushing it considering he was fooling around with stuff in the late 90's but only got his act together a few years later. Fashawn is most certainly a new age rapper. Both only released their first solos under ten years ago, so I'd definitely consider them new. I refuse to buy into the Rae Sremmurd and Fetty Wap garbage, so "new" rappers are few and far between. This isn't a "real hip hop" thing either...it's just I cannot f*ck with that garbage.

Bronson is one of the few rappers that have emerged in the last 3 or so years that does the genre any justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 WhatHappened

Doze - "Pay Dues Forever"

doze.bandcamp.com/album/pay-dues-forever

Some good guests on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

Bronson is one of the few rappers that have emerged in the last 3 or so years that does the genre any justice.

That's complete nonsense. You obviously haven't been following hip-hop particularly closely at all in the last 3 or 4 years if you think that.

• Advertisement

Fashawn as a new MC fine, but not Elzhi, dude's been around since the mid 90s.

Kendrick, Jay Rock, Ab-Soul, Isaiah Rashad, Big K.R.I.T., J.Cole, Lil Herb, Danny Brown, Asap Rocky, Future etc are the new relevant MCs. Not a bad group imo and I'm missing a fair few, but I'd guess lads here wouldn't rate most of them.

Sole - "Mansbestfriend 7"

sole.bandcamp.com/album/mansbestfriend-7-by-sole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Fashawn as a new MC fine, but not Elzhi, dude's been around since the mid 90s.

Kendrick, Jay Rock, Ab-Soul, Isaiah Rashad, Big K.R.I.T., J.Cole, Lil Herb, Danny Brown, Asap Rocky, Future etc are the new relevant MCs. Not a bad group imo and I'm missing a fair few, but I'd guess lads here wouldn't rate most of them.

Definitely agree with Kendrick and Krit. J Cole if he was on 'Friday Night Lights' form.

My mention is STS (Sugar Tongue Slim). He's done a collab with RJD2 and worked with The Roots as well. He's brilliant. Not as well known as the others but has got great rhymes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭weemcd

To be fair to J.Cole a few of his releases were very bland.

But Forest Hills Drive is great.

Fire squad in particular is well, fire.

/edit also anyone got recommendations for Jay Electronica?

Dude is nice, heard very little of him apart from a few features. He steals the track he's on with Royce from the (IMO quite disappointing) Phryme album

Doseone put out another glitchpop videogame score:

Go Dark - "Brightwild"

godark.bandcamp.com/album/brightwild-ep

Hopefully he makes another rap record soon. It's been nearly 7 years, unless you count 13 & God, in which case it's still been nearly 5 years.

I could never get to like Dose One and all that Anticon crowd. Too weird just for the sake of being weird to be honest.

I used to love it all, but I think a lot of that ultra-leftfield, avant garde stuff from the late '90s and early 2000s hasn't aged very well. But most of the Anticon guys have made one or two (or three or four) great albums that I still revisit pretty often. I like most of Dose's core work with Themselves, cLOUDDEAD, Subtle and 13 & God. A lot of his side-projects are disposable though.

He had two guest spots last year that made me really really want a full-on rap record from him though.

One with Alias: anticon.bandcamp.com/track/crimson-across-it-feat-doseone

And one with Mestizo: mestizo.bandcamp.com/track/turning-tables-feat-doseone

I found the stuff he did with Jel tolerable simply because Jel is a fantastic producer. He is too nasal and his lyrics are too dense for me to enjoy though. I enjoy Aesop Rock to an extent but these guys take the biscuit. I remember being recommended that CLOUDDEAD album thing...the one with the trippy sky background album cover...the production was pretty decent to be fair but the nasal howlings behind it gave the creeps.

the stuff he did with Jel
    Yeah, Jel always got the grudging respect. I guess you mean the Themselves albums, but actually most of his major projects are with Jel. Subtle is basically Themselves + band, and 13 & God is Themselves + The Notwist. The sounds are very different though.

SeaDaily wrote: »
    That's complete nonsense. You obviously haven't been following hip-hop particularly closely at all in the last 3 or 4 years if you think that.

Save for Bronson, a bit of Kendrick and Run the Jewels I suppose you're right, then again I'm quite happy to sift through the late 80s to early 00s era of rap and discover artists I hadn't yet heard rather than listen to hip hop getting airtime nowadays

• Advertisement

Perfecto (Serengeti & Anders Holm) - "You Can't Run from the Rhythm"

serengeti.bandcamp.com/album/you-cant-run-from-the-rhythm

^ The first four tracks are like an early '90s pop-rap parody thing, then the last track is a 17-minute story told over an ambient piece.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

A new track from Thesis x Ynoe x Adversity x Besatree x Tha locust

https://soundcloud.com/thesismusic/chapter-11

I dig mid-school posse cut vibe to this one.

Save for Bronson, a bit of Kendrick and Run the Jewels I suppose you're right, then again I'm quite happy to sift through the late 80s to early 00s era of rap and discover artists I hadn't yet heard rather than listen to hip hop getting airtime nowadays

...airtime?

Isn't Bronson the fat lad that raps about food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭Lights On

weemcd wrote: »
    /edit also anyone got recommendations for Jay Electronica?

Dude is nice, heard very little of him apart from a few features. He steals the track he's on with Royce from the (IMO quite disappointing) Phryme album

This is probably the best place to start, it's a few years old now but has all his essential tracks. 60 odd solo cuts and 20 or so feature verses.

http://2dopeboyz.com/2013/05/20/jay-electronica-the-complete-discography-solo-tracks-features-as-of-may-2013/

As far as stuff post 2013 it's been pretty sparse, these two tracks being the only new material that weren't leaked demos from years ago as far as I know.

Couple of older classic ones.

Odessa Kane - "Left to Bear Arms"

odessakanebeatrock.bandcamp.com/album/left-to-bear-arms

Prof - "Liability"

profstophouse.bandcamp.com/album/liability

Good lord. Gangsta Gibbs has been talking alot on IG about his new mixtape, turns out it's sounding rather tasty.
    https://soundcloud.com/gangstagibbs/extradite-feat-black-thought-produced-mikhail

https://soundcloud.com/gangstagibbs/packages-feat-manman-savage-produced-by-tarentino-of-808-mafia-1/s-qUpF9

Atmosphere dropped a new gem today with Blueprint and Aesop Rock. At one point I wanted to see this as a line up in a band with Eyedea and Brother Ali.
    https://soundcloud.com/rhymesayers/atmosphere-this-lonely-rose

A previously unreleased Ol Dirty track has also appeared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Good lord. Gangsta Gibbs has been talking alot on IG about his new mixtape, turns out it's sounding rather tasty.

He is just too good.

• Advertisement

...airtime?

Isn't Bronson the fat lad that raps about food.

Airplay... You haven't heard of Bronson? I thought I was out of touch with rappers nowadays

Advertisement