Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrician job in Abu Dhabi

Options
  • 02-01-2015 3:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi guys. Just wondering does anyone have any information regarding jobs in abu dhabi. My partner has moved over for work and the plan was to follow but its proving hard. I am a qualified electrician but am willing to do bar work as i am also skilled in that. Been trying all the recruitment agencies that come up on google etc. but no luck. Getting desperate now, any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I think the first thing you have to do is change your mindset.

In the Gulf Region, jobs such as working in a bar/restaurant are almost always undertaken by very low paid Asian immigrants, same goes for the trades such as electrician, mechanic, plumber and so on.

So it would be extremely unusual for you to get either type of job and on the off chance you did, you would probably expect to be paid in the region of 200 or 300 Euro a month for 50+ hours a week, 6 days a week.

Westerners are typically employed in senior/managerial positions or in education.

The best way to get jobs is through personal contacts. Go get involved in clubs, I believe there is a GAA club in Abu Dhabi, that could be a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

I agree with what Tom said. McGettigans recently opened in Abu Dhabi and they usually have a a few Irish staff managing/supervising so it might be worth trying to get in touch with them if you have that experience. Sisk (I think they are BAM in Ireland now) have a few projects out here, I think Shajah & Al Ain though might be worth getting in contact. You need to be aiming at supervisor manager roles. There a lot maintenance companies here and lately they are advertising UK trained staff/managed. Company's like this http://www.jimwillfixit.ae/ I think it will be hard to find work via recruiters, google maintenance companies in Abu Dhabi and see what you can find. Also I would suggest getting in touch with the Irish business council out here if you come out for a visit. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 E_slattery

Hey

Before I went teaching in Abu Dhabi last September. Check out this free website that may be able to help JohnJoe45. Check out Abu Dhabi Paddy on Facebook and their website. It helps people find jobs and make connections in the Irish community over there

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Johnboy45

I was in a managerial role in the bar but not as an electrician. I'll be visiting in March so if anyone has any further advice for when im there that'd be great. I'll try your suggestions thanks guys.

Advertisement