Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

11 month old development concerns

Options
  • 02-01-2015 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

Our little boy just turned 11months. He sits up, grabs things etc., but shows no interest in pulling himself up, he doesn't crawl or make any attempt to move on the ground. He seems strong and active. He seems to be getting a little frustrated himself that he can't move more.

Just a little concerned that he is not crawling at this stage. His brother who is now nearly 3 was crawling and standing and nearly walking at this stage. He is due another developmental checkup at 12 months to check on his progress.

Any boardies have similar situation with their own, what did ye do, any advice etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Have a nephew who is 16 months old and he didn't start crawling until about 14 months. He's flying around now. Some kids just take longer. Don't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Have a nephew who is 16 months old and he didn't start crawling until about 14 months. He's flying around now. Some kids just take longer. Don't worry.

I agree! My brother never crawled properly and just got up one day and walked ;)

OP does your baby roll around to get things? If so a lot of babies just do that or bum shuffle to get around and don't trawl in the traditional sense. My own baby started off with commando crawling. My baby used to get sooo annoyed before he could crawl and what got him moving was rolling a ball (ball pit balls) on the ground :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

They do things at their own pace. Mine both walked at 11 months but I've heard of children not walking until 22 months of age. Some just do things quicker and there's nothing you can do to get them going before they're ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I wonder does big brother get him things, come to him, bring things etc?

My two were similar. First one up like speedy Gonzales, second one didn't wait until she was more than a year. She was very happy to sit and wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

My little one didn't crawl she kinda dragged herself with her leg or rolled to get to things. Think she stood after she was one and walked when she was 15 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

Hi op, you may just have a lazy baby like i did :-) didn't bother with crawling, just bum shuffled everywhere at 11/12 months. Wouldn't attempt to stand till nearly 1 1/2, didn't walk until he was nearly 23 months :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Millem wrote: »
    I agree! My brother never crawled properly and just got up one day and walked ;)

OP does your baby roll around to get things? If so a lot of babies just do that or bum shuffle to get around and don't trawl in the traditional sense. My own baby started off with commando crawling. My baby used to get sooo annoyed before he could crawl and what got him moving was rolling a ball (ball pit balls) on the ground :)

Many thanks for everyone for the responses.

He does reach out or turn, not really rolling and not bum shuffling. If he falls back while sitting he isn't able to bring himself back to sitting position which is a bit concerning. I'll try the ball rolling thing. Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

I wonder does big brother get him things, come to him, bring things etc?

My two were similar. First one up like speedy Gonzales, second one didn't wait until she was more than a year. She was very happy to sit and wait!

Big brother more likely takes things off him and pushes him over..but that's a story for another thread.

He is very active ( like he wants to crawl up mammy or daddy) when being held but doesn't move when on stomach. Hopefully just a slow starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

If you have any concerns around your sons development then you should give the PHN a call and get an appointment with the doctor through them. My son has "issues" due to complications surrounding my pregnancy and birth. We are in the care of the HSE Doctor and see them regularly to check our sons development. It's very reassuring to have that backup and we can call the doctor if we need more regular visits due to things our son is/isn't doing. He was last seen at 12 months by HSE doctor (and in the months leading up to that he was in a few times too) and we are scheduled to see them again at 18 months. In the meantime we are with the paediatrician every month and the HSE Doctor said he would be seeing us more but for that doctor being there. Just to say they set up the regular monitoring with the paediatrician and we've paid nothing for these visits so far. It just shows me that if needed the public medical service in Ireland is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

I think the quality of public care really depends on where you are. :o our phn and hse doctor are rather useless, as much as it pains me to say it.

Op, our 11 months old is the same, he only very recently started to pull himself up, but he only ever rolled over once, he bum shuffled twice, and he absolutely detests being on his tummy. He's only very slowly starting to try to be on all fours, but his legs always get stuck :o I had him checked for problems but my gp and the phn were not concerned so far, so i'd just give it time.

It's hard not to worry, especially when you have other kids to compare them to (our three year old was very early walking etc too) but each child develops at their own pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Many thanks for everyone for the responses.

He does reach out or turn, not really rolling and not bum shuffling. If he falls back while sitting he isn't able to bring himself back to sitting position which is a bit concerning. I'll try the ball rolling thing. Many thanks.

My first never crawled or rolled, she learned to sit at 8 months and bum shuffled from there! If she fell she couldn't sit up and didn't manage this til 18 months, she took her first step at 22 months! She's now 2 1/2 and she's non stop. Some kids like to sit and observe, others like to do! My second is opposite, she'll be running before she's 1!

We got her checked at 20 months through phn but they weren't concerned at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

The PHN told me that the kids who grab for stuff are more likely to be the ones who skip crawling and go straight to walking. Because they can use their arms to pull themselves around there is less incentive to crawl - can't use your hands to grab things if you're using them to crawl.

However she said my little girl would probably be one of the ones who would skip the crawling but no, she did crawl for a bit before walking. It's so hard to know, even for quote/unquote experts, children really aren't an exact science.

We were getting a bit worried that she wasn't walking - especially as there were a.pair of 11 month old twins at her playgroup that had started - but she took her first steps at 14 months. She's walking just as well as the next 2 year old now.

Definately being it up at the checkup, most likely the doc/nurse will ask how baby's getting on with their movement but hopefully they will be able to check everythings okay and put your mind at rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Depending on where you are, you could get great results with your PHN (I realise not all of them are good!) Our PHN flagged my little boy at his 3 month check as he wasn't holding up his head as well as she'd like. (A combination of a large head, a month early and reflux meaning he hated tummy time) She referred him to a health centre doctor (useless and condescending) and a physiotherapist (excellent) He saw the physio until he was almost 1, by which time he'd caught up with all his motor skills - she was happy that he wasn't pulling up or cruising, although that followed soon after. He's now 15months and is cruising, crawling, taking a few steps and standing on his own.
    The worst that would happen is that your PHN is useless, in which case you're no worse off. If that happens, try your GP, or the nurse in the practice when he gets his next set of jabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

My fella like to pull himself up us too. I think what helped a little was us lying down with him on the floor or bed and he used to grab our clothes and pull himself into us. We made it a game. He started commando crawling from that. Now he's grabbing and pulling himself to standing on furniture etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭ElizKenny

Mine only rolled until 15 months. Then started crawling for about a month and went from walking to running in a week.

All are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

There are a number of different age related goals and it seems that it's only when a few of them are lacking that there may be an issue. My boy is in the early intervention system and it is brilliant, this was all instigated by the phn. I'd you notice anything else that's not happening, go to your phn at any time and ask to be referred.

Otherwise, just keep an eye on him. My son was at least 6 months behind in all areas and 2 years behind in communication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

My fella was well over a year before he crawled (and even then, it wasn't proper crawling, it was that military crawl), and only walked at 20 months. I wouldn't worry too much yet, all children are different. If you are really worried, you can still see your phn or gp.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sulli

I was just wondering the exact same! Our lil fella is 11 months this week. He seems to have no interest in crawling and gets very frustrated when he can't reach things. Not worried though as he can stand for a small bit on his own and when we support him standing he is very happy. Was concerned at first but from seeing other babies they all develop at their own rate! One of my mates has a baby 2 weeks younger who is crawling but has no teeth where our lil lad has 5 with a 6th coming! swings and roundabouts!! All will come in good time! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

galah wrote: »
    I think the quality of public care really depends on where you are. :o our phn and hse doctor are rather useless, as much as it pains me to say it.

Op, our 11 months old is the same, he only very recently started to pull himself up, but he only ever rolled over once, he bum shuffled twice, and he absolutely detests being on his tummy. He's only very slowly starting to try to be on all fours, but his legs always get stuck :o I had him checked for problems but my gp and the phn were not concerned so far, so i'd just give it time.

It's hard not to worry, especially when you have other kids to compare them to (our three year old was very early walking etc too) but each child develops at their own pace.

And whaddayaknow, he started crawling within 3 days of posting the above :D must have been a leap, since he now sits up from lying down, crawls, and pulls to standing, so much so that we had to lower the cot for fear of him falling out.

Advertisement