Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Las Vegas

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

MarkY91 wrote: »
    We got 1 week end of June staying at flamingo for 900 each. July and August ad it would have been a few hundred extra.

Nice central location with s decent pool. Old hotel and not like cesars etc but will only be sleeping there
    The likes of Flamingo, Harrahs and the Quad are the best craic to spend few hours in around the bars imo, always a steady flow of through traffic and looser slots too. O'Sheas is open again as you go towards the Linq, that's a great spot. Bills was good too until some bright spark came up with a very Irish-unfriendly new name for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

The likes of Flamingo, Harrahs and the Quad are the best craic to spend few hours in around the bars imo, always a steady flow of through traffic and looser slots too. O'Sheas is open again as you go towards the Linq, that's a great spot. Bills was good too until some bright spark came up with a very Irish-unfriendly new name for it.

whats the irish unfriendly name? never been to vegas before but i know so much about it from the internet, i feel like i know the place too well for someone whos never been lol

ive one question. clubs like hakkasan and other "tier 1" clubs how much is a bottle of budweiser? people say drinks will cost 30 dollars but im sure they mean the likes of mad posh cocktails etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

whats the irish unfriendly name? never been to vegas before but i know so much about it from the internet, i feel like i know the place too well for someone whos never been lol

ive one question. clubs like hakkasan and other "tier 1" clubs how much is a bottle of budweiser? people say drinks will cost 30 dollars but im sure they mean the likes of mad posh cocktails etc
    The Cromwell.:eek:

I've never been in a nightclub in Vegas in my life and rarely paid for a drink unless it was with my dinner so can't help you there, can't imagine it being any less that $10 a pop though.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

We have flights booked for 1st week in june but still looking at hotels. Made the mistake of booking Sat to Sat so the prices are coming out high enough for the week.
    Thinking of booking somewhere cheap for the sat of arrival, then next 4 nights somewhere nice middle of strip(ie Bellagio)Then maybe booking a car and doing 2 nights going to see Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam-hopefully cheaper hotels these 2 nights.
    Any advice or are we better off just booking somewhere cheap and cheerful for the 7 nights?
    We're a married couple in our 30's, won't be gambling apart from a one off experience (it is Las Vegas!) and first(and probably only) time here so all hints and tips welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

We've stayed at Bellagio (expensive) and at Ballys (cheap) across the street, and honestly I'd take Ballys in an instant again.

The thing about Bellagio that annoyed me was that maybe the quality was a little higher and there's a Tiffany Store in the lobby but you still have to queue for everything. No coffee machines in the rooms so you have to go down and queue for the $20 cup of coffee and cold croissant in the morning. Even at the quieter times of day they close amenities/staff so you still end up queuing. Having to spend half an hour in a queue to check in after getting off a long flight is such a negative way to start a trip. And apart from the dead of night I dont remember a time when we passed thru the lobby when there wasnt a very long line.

Bally's, right across the street, is internally connected to Paris, so you while it doesnt have a Tiffany's or a Fendi in the lobby you can get to one very quickly. ANd they have a coffee machine in the room too. There's still queues (all the hotels do) but at least you're paying less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

GaGa21 wrote: »
    We have flights booked for 1st week in june but still looking at hotels. Made the mistake of booking Sat to Sat so the prices are coming out high enough for the week.
    Thinking of booking somewhere cheap for the sat of arrival, then next 4 nights somewhere nice middle of strip(ie Bellagio)Then maybe booking a car and doing 2 nights going to see Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam-hopefully cheaper hotels these 2 nights.
    Any advice or are we better off just booking somewhere cheap and cheerful for the 7 nights?
    We're a married couple in our 30's, won't be gambling apart from a one off experience (it is Las Vegas!) and first(and probably only) time here so all hints and tips welcome!

If you're going for 8 full nights to Vegas I would strongly advise you to spend more than 2 days visiting the scenic areas outside of LV. The reason being that if you don't gamble you will probably start to get bored/crazy after a few days in Vegas. I go there regularly, both to gamble and for business purposes and, yes, there are things to do but for people in your age group they'll probably start to feel a little fake and idiotic after a while.

On the other hand Las Vegas is close to some of the most spectacular scenery on the planet. Everybody knows about the Grand Canyon, and while its amazing I would strongly urge you to take a look at Zion and Bryce Canyon national parks, which are actually a lot closer to Vegas. The difference between them and the GC is that you can actually get down into these canyons and explore them on foot. Hiking down into the GC isn't much fun and takes forever, whereas in places like Zion you can easily find tranquil spots to explore and even camp in - I've done it many times. Bryce Canyon is also arguably the most spectacular looking place in the whole southwest.

You could also loop back to the GC from these places over a 3 or 4 day road trip if you like. Driving in southern Utah is one of the best things about this region.

For a good value hotel at that time of year I strongly recommend the Flamingo - it has the best pool area for anything in that price range and is in just about the best location on the strip. Personally I don't like the Belaggio for the simple reason that it takes about 15 mins to get from your room to the strip itself - the hotel is set way back from the road and the walk past the fountains starts to get old pretty fast, especially if it's hot outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭lorenzo87

7 nights in Vegas? I was fed up after 4, for all it is a great place!
    I'd recommend heading to San Fran or LA for 2 nights to break it up.
    PS... Do the skydive!

im probably hijacking the thread but could someone reccomend the best BANG *pun intended* for your buck shooting range? seems to be so many that its hard to choose one. i just want to shoot as many bullets as i can for around 100 dollars. a handgun and a fully automatic rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Try source it yourself through UA, Dublin-Washington-Vegas, be around 550, decent hotel on the strip like cosmopolitan or venetian would be around the 300 mark, look through a certain BOOKING website and you'll have a cracking weekend/holiday!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

im probably hijacking the thread but could someone reccomend the best BANG *pun intended* for your buck shooting range? seems to be so many that its hard to choose one. i just want to shoot as many bullets as i can for around 100 dollars. a handgun and a fully automatic rifle.

I havent done it in a few years and in that time the number of places has multiplied. So hopefully it means its got a little cheaper.

But I'm afraid $100 isnt going to last long, it would give you a taste but if you could make it $200 you'd have a better time I think.

Handguns you can pace it out a bit but remember a full magazine is gone in about 2 seconds with an automatic rifle.

Its really fun though.

• Advertisement

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I havent done it in a few years and in that time the number of places has multiplied. So hopefully it means its got a little cheaper.

But I'm afraid $100 isnt going to last long, it would give you a taste but if you could make it $200 you'd have a better time I think.

Handguns you can pace it out a bit but remember a full magazine is gone in about 2 seconds with an automatic rifle.

Its really fun though.

yeah its why i want to add handgun in. i would like to do a few bursts, not empty the clip in one go.

ive no idea of my budget for the gun range, i guess i could go 200. my budget overall will be about 3000 dollars(no idea if its alot or not enough for vegas) ill gamble but only about 60 dollars a day. im more there for the nights out. we dont really plan on spending 100 dollars on some steak. fast food and the odd "cheap" meal will be fine :D

Advertisement