Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy Windows Server 2008 R2

• 02-01-2015 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Been looking all over the place and I can't seem to find anywhere (except ebay, etc) to buy Windows Server 2008 R2 licenses.

I need 5 in total for some virtual servers we are setting up.
    (I need 2008 R2 because the existing servers are the same and our software works fine on them so I wouldn't be able to convince anyone to upgrade just yet)

Anyone know any reliable places?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

There is the option to get a microsoft volume license which would permit you to migrate to 2012r2 in the future, or continue to use the older versions.

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/licensing-options/open-license.aspx
    You'll have a microsoft account which allows downloads and keys to the current or previous versions of that software.

If you take this route though, microsoft will pester you with audit forms demanding user / device counts and license codes for all OEM and retail Microsoft software used by your business, possibly as often as yearly.

If you choose to buy retail, just be aware that most '08 Windows Server software and CALs still on sale will turn out to be useless HP OEM, so you've really to double-check with the supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Aaron-

Thanks for the replies guys,

Upon further research I found you can downgrade from a Server 2012 license which I never knew before.

I like dabs.ie for a lot of things but in my experience the website maybe be a .ie but a lot of their stuff is shipped from England.

I got my licenses from sellsoft.ie which are quite affordable!

Advertisement