Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog suffering from depression?

• 02-01-2015 1:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I have a little Yorkie who is 4 and a half, 3 months ago my mam died, she was at home every single day with the dog since we got her and I don't know what to do about her since my mams death.

She shakes a lot now and she never used to, she seems really down, won't move from her bed, won't eat anything we give her. I got vitamin tablets for her but they still don't seem to give her a boost.

Does anyone know if dogs can suffer from depression, or is she just going through the same grief we are? I'm just really worried about her, she's so tiny and is the family pet, we all love her to bits!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Yes dogs can suffer depression the same as us when somebody passes away. It'll take her a few weeks to get back to her normal self. Is she drinking water at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

While it could be depression, it could also be something physical so you really should get her checked out by your vet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

Dogs are more emotional than people (IMO). The dog is most likely lonely for your mother. Plenty of affection will help dog. When I go on holidays my father minds the dog. The dog will often not eat great for a few days and is often depressed, even though he loves my father and he looks after him like he was his own dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

OP sorry for your loss.
    Your little dog is no doubt missing your mother
    The dogs main human is suddenly gone - understandable that the dog would be anxious and stressed. If shes not eating though I would be worried - shes too small a breed to go for long without food.
    Have you brought her to the vet to rule out any possible physical issues? I would definitely do that first.

Lots of TLC will help if its only your mum that is the issue. Interest her with games/play/walks. Tempt her to eat with some cooked chicken. Tiny portions of tasty home cooked chicken/rice will hopefully get her eating

Advertisement