Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tipping Point...

• 02-01-2015 3:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭

Just sat and watched an episode of this for the first time while eating my lunch.

Not a bad format, though I find Ben Sheppard pretty annoying, but what drove me absolutely CRAZY is the stupid way the contestants play the game!!

They all seem to release the coin when the shelf is already sliding out - when it bumps around a bit this means quite often the shelf has turned and is on it's way back in, so the coin doesn't fall flat and half the time it rides up over the top of the back row of coins...

It's as obvious as anything that the time to release the coin is just before the shelf turns, but no-one ever seems to do this - am I missing something, can the coin only release when the shelf is sliding out?! Or is every person I've seen playing the game just lacking in common sense?

(I really really need to get back to work on Monday...!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭brian_t

These games are designed to take peoples money without paying out, except for a very odd occasion.

The fact that suckers players think there is an optimum time to drop a coin in order to win just shows how well designed they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

brian_t wrote: »
    These games are designed to take peoples money without paying out, except for a very odd occasion.

The fact that suckers players think there is an optimum time to drop a coin in order to win just shows how well designed they are.

What're you on about, it's a TV game show - they're competing to WIN money, not gambling their own money.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I always thought there was an optimum time or at least there's certainly a time not to do it as per the OP, when the coin is likely to sit on top of the ones already there.

Back to the game show, yeah quite good,I normally only watch the Celebrity ones now as series linking it and The Chase clogged up my recorder. Was very surprised by the one with Stacey Solomon & Rachel Riley, if you get a chance to see it.

Most annoying thing, the oohs & ahhhs every time someone has a go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Why do contestants cheer each other on and congratulate each other. They are constantly nattering. That annoys me greatly.

I do remember one episode where one of the players asked the others politely if they would shut up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Love the show, and The Chase..only thing i've noticed is the same questions appear on both shows....

Also it grinds my gears when contestants dont realise that the counters are "placed" into the machine and will drop their counters willy-nilly....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Just sat and watched an episode of this for the first time while eating my lunch.

Not a bad format, though I find Ben Sheppard pretty annoying, but what drove me absolutely CRAZY is the stupid way the contestants play the game!!

They all seem to release the coin when the shelf is already sliding out - when it bumps around a bit this means quite often the shelf has turned and is on it's way back in, so the coin doesn't fall flat and half the time it rides up over the top of the back row of coins...

It's as obvious as anything that the time to release the coin is just before the shelf turns, but no-one ever seems to do this - am I missing something, can the coin only release when the shelf is sliding out?! Or is every person I've seen playing the game just lacking in common sense?

(I really really need to get back to work on Monday...!)

I've noticed when the player asks for the coin to be released there seems to be a bit of a delay. This could explain why a lot of them fall on top of other coins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i like it,

simple concept, it combines a general knowledge quiz with the seaside arcade slot game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

It's the obviously forced commenting the players have to say about each drop that grates a bit. Harmless otherwise.

It's as obvious as anything that the time to release the coin is just before the shelf turns, but no-one ever seems to do this - am I missing something,

:confused:

but i would have thought they'd be a greater risk of the coin "riding" when the shelf is turning back as its more likely to hit the bunched up coins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I'd love to see behind the scenes, I imagine it's a work experience lad standing on steps ready to drop the coin as soon a 40 watt bulb lights up when the contestant presses their button.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

I'd love to see behind the scenes, I imagine it's a work experience lad standing on steps ready to drop the coin as soon a 40 watt bulb lights up when the contestant presses their button.

Same as I was thinking ,some physically dropping it down behind it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

fryup wrote: »
    :confused:

but i would have thought they'd be a greater risk of the coin "riding" when the shelf is turning back as its more likely to hit the bunched up coins

I meant before it turns to go out, not in!!

It takes at least half a second to drop, so you release it just before the shelf is fully in, and that way you're guaranteed the shelf will still be on the way out when the coin reaches the bottom...

c'mon now i'm sure they've rigged up some device that triggers when the contestant hits the button
    I meant before it turns to go out, not in!!

It takes at least half a second to drop, so you release it just before the shelf is fully in, and that way you're guaranteed the shelf will still be on the way out when the coin reaches the bottom...

well to my eye thats what most of them do, unless theres a slight delay in the release of the coin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

This prog has to be fixed, yesterday and today the same contestant on it, Paul, and two totally different personalities between yesterdays and todays, joke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 250 ✭✭Clarebelly

Great show, and a good host that genuinely seems to want the contestants to clean out the machine.

Love this show but some of the contestants are genuinely thick. Yesterday a Police Advisor was asked " Sodium Carbonate is made up of sodium and what other element: Carbon, Chlorine or Chromium". He was totally clueless and passed.

Another one I remember, "Which European city hosts the Lourve". Contestant: Africa.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

I agree with the op...they constantly push the release button too late. The time to press it is when the tray is almost in all the way so that it hits the bottom when the tray is still on the way out guaranteeing that it won't ride.. there was a plonker on today who pressed it at almost exactly the wrong moment every time..feckin plonker...he didn't get the jackpot..and I'm glad...😊

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

I agree.The other evening....Stephen Kinnock the MP for Aberavon is the son of which former leader of the Labour party?...answer Tony Blair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

This is the quiz show for the dim witted

• Advertisement

If it ain't Pointless it's shît

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Until Alexander Armstrong stops repeating the questions "one more time" then I won't watch it. Either go back to 5 teams and cut out that nonsense or make it a 40 minute show.

I just watched him rig the game (Pointless):mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

im not sure whos thick. the people that go on the chase and answer loads of questions but win nothing or those that go on tipping point and win several thousand on average.

its pritty obvious to be that tipping point is the one to be on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

The Chase..for those too thick to be on University challenge..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

University Challenge..... For those too posh or studenty to be on Only Connect.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Only Connect for those too socially awkward to appear on Eggheads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I just watched him rig the game (Pointless):mad:
    How?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

snowflaker wrote: »
    Eggheads, for those just about to die.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

All five of these shows, and more... for those who like game shows in general. :o:o:):););)

Tipping Point may be rubbish - but so were 3-2-1, Going for Gold, Strike it Lucky and even Bullseye. :o:o;)

The point is, of course, they they were/are rubbish in a good way. On the other hand, shows like 24 Hour Quiz (2004), 101 Ways to Leave a Game Show (2010) and Red or Black? (2011-12)... well, just see for yourself.

Returning to Tipping Point, I feel good for most of the contestants who win the £10k jackpot - no matter how they win it. If they're likeable, then it doesn't matter how good their general knowledge is, or how much luck they have with their counters. :):)

Of course, there are genuinely unlikeable contestants on the show from time to time - again, regardless of their general knowledge or luck...

That's Countdown

Eggheads...for those who can't win Who Wants to Be a Millionaire or Mastermind for a second time (the Eggheads, that is).

The general standard of quiz contestants in the UK is generally appalling....do these people have no friends? Sorry, I just realised, the answer is in the question. It's the UK. What do you expect from a country that voted for Brexit?

That's Countdown

Now hang on a minute.....Countdown has Rachel Reilly. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭corkie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

corkie wrote: »

Watched it on utv last night,amazing strike otherwise I don't think it would drop

• Advertisement

Tipping Point turned five last week.

Yes, it has now been on the air for five years. :eek: :D;) And there have been more than 500 episodes in that time. ;)

And, it seems, there are still people who believe that it's the worst game show ever created - even after that Matryoshka doll show with Rylan Clark-Neal... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

If Tipping Point was the worst game show ever created, then it would have never continued beyond its original 20-episode run back in 2012. And it would have never made UKGameshows.com's Golden Five, either... ;)

http://www.ukgameshows.com/ukgs/Poll_of_the_Year_2016

Don't scare the hare was worst gameshow ever

Don't scare the hare was worst gameshow ever

Well, it certainly has a much better claim to this title than Tipping Point... ;)

What's more, it was hyped to high heavens before its launch, being the first show to be made at the then-new MediaCityUK in Salford. Even the 'Point didn't get *that* much hype, despite its machine and despite the fact that it was taking over The Chase's slot for a few weeks...

The 'Point... Jesus wept

The 'Point... Jesus wept

Blame TV Cream - they call Tiswas the 'Was and Countdown the 'Down... :o:D;)

http://www.tvcream.co.uk/telly/saturday-mornings/tiswas-2/

• Advertisement
Advertisement